Maritim Hotel Reviews

Maritim Hotel - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Maritim Hotel

“fantastic holiday”

written by on 07/10/2013

Just returned from Maritim Hotel, Balaclava, Mauritius and what a wonderful holiday we had. The hotel was lovely in beautiful surroundings, our prestige room was the best we have ever had and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. My husband has slight mobility problems so we emailed the hotel a few weeks before departure and they ensured our room was quiet and in a position where there weren't too many stairs. Having said that you do need to go either up or down a few stairs to eat in the main restaurant but this wasn't a problem for him. The food was very good although slightly spicy (but not hot spicy) so if you only like plain meat and veg you might struggle a bit. We celebrated our anniversary while there and had dinner at the La Maree restaurant on the beach that evening and the staff made sure it was very special for us - we were even serenaded. I had 2 treatments in the spa and even though we had to pay for this it was well worth it. A lot of the activities are free although, of course, you do have to pay for some but not as many as we would have expected. All in all it was the best holiday we have ever had. We just relaxed and were made to feel special like everyone else at the hotel. We did not hear anyone complaining although no doubt some people would probably be able to find fault but we couldn't! We did have a day trip around the island which was very interesting as we visited the gorge, the volcano, hindu shrine and a few other places of interest but we mainly chilled out which is what we went for. We will definitely return!

“Get away with Murder”

written by MauritiusMurderers on 13/07/2012

Go to Mauritius and get your bride murdered and then watch the killers walk free because of a corrupt court system. See the killers jump around and dance in the street. What a place full of savages. Boycott Maurtitius!!!

“ The hotel is a stylish resort offering the "inclusive...”

written by on 31/08/2010

The hotel is a stylish resort offering the "inclusive package" which is unfortunately is not that inclusive. The fact that you have already paid for lunch is forgotten if you have a packed lunch for a outing - 400 rupees for a warm ham sandwich in a cool box with no cooling pack was outrageous. As was the threat to charge 500 rupees if you cant hand in your towel card at the end of the stay!
Food was generally very bland to presumably suit a international perspective. However the out of "inclusive" chateau restaurant was a delight with a just below michelin star standard but at a high price - 5,000 rupees. Rooms clean and well designed. Stay clear of the windsurfing equipment - 7 years plus out of date and dangerous in the off shore winds as the uj comes out of the mast foot on a regular basis and sails torn. Good standard of dive centre but dive sites below par with other areas and red sea.Staff are generally as helpful as they are allowed to be but stuggle with anything out of the norm. Delays in room availability are common - 6 hrs after arrival one guests room was still not avaialable at 4 pm and the honey mooon package was refused them for the apparent reason that they had not prebooked it.
A potentially excellent hotel let down by the very important small details

“This was our third consecutive visit to the Maritim...”

written by on 14/03/2010

This was our third consecutive visit to the Maritim hotel.
The hotel was looking a lot fresher after it`s refurbishment
The hotel seemed to have lost a little of it`s magic for us due to small details, that I`m sure can easily be put right.
Lots of new staff in the dining room who had not quite got to grips with the job- food orders took ages some nights. Tables not cleared fast enough between courses. Great improvement on the quality and choice of desserts, but still think they could improve on the main courses served on buffet evenings.
More thought should go into planning times for cleaning in the public areas. Deep cleaning machines being used in areas where holiday makers are trying to relax.
Had cigarettes taken from my room twice whilst I was there this time, this was the first time anything had ever been taken from our room.
Lots of locals staying at the hotel whilst we were there, and managed to get rooms for a lot less than we paid for ours. Lots of children there this time which was strange for January.
Over all the staff are a credit to the hotel and cannot do enough for you.
The only thing that will stop us returning to this hotel will be the price
which is becoming unrealistic for the average holiday maker

“Myself and my husband have been to the Maritim 7 times...”

written by jhardy on 06/08/2008

Myself and my husband have been to the Maritim 7 times in 8 years and have never been disappointed yet. Staff are wonderful and helpful. There is even a nurse there everyday just in case you need one. The all inclusive is definiteley worth it and the cocktails are to die for. Can not wait to go again in October!

“The Maritim Hotel is a beautiful resort. We have just...”

written by Yael Kadish on 07/09/2007

The Maritim Hotel is a beautiful resort. We have just come back from eight blissful days there. The comfortable rooms are lovely and more than adequate. The service of the rooms is excellent. The food was really good. It was fresh and tasty and healthy too. The menus were delicious and varied in The Belle Vue (the general restaurant). We had two exceptional meals at La Maree, the most romantic dinners I have ever had. You sit with your feet in the sand, eating delicious food with either colourful dancing or a lovely band serenading you. The cocktails at the Quarterdeck bar are lethal, I had one and a half one afternoon and felt like I had been run over by a train! If you're not on full board, have cocktails between 5 and 7pm as they are half price then.

The staff were wonderful, very friendly and efficient! They had all the time and patience in the world to chat with my little son and make a fuss of him every day.

The swimming pools are lovely and clean and beautifully placed and designed. The beach is absolutely gorgeous, but take some sort of aqua socks as the sand is rough and full of bits of coral. We went glass bottom boating, which was nice and para sailing which my husband loved but we had to pay separately for that.

The (kids) Turtle club was wonderful, very well equipped with three lovely, well spoken, kind child minders. My son took to one of them immediately and she baby sat for us as well, which was great (this is at a reasonable rate). You can ask them to borrow a bucket and spade at the kids club and even arm bands for the duration of your stay.

The gym is great - very well equipped and situated in the beauty spa which is gorgeous.

We took a taxi into town a few times to explore and the hotel has specially priced excursions each day to Port Louis or Grand Bay. Worth doing but also go into Floreal, especially if you want to buy cashmere.

We had a fabulous relaxing, sumptuous time and I will definitely be back as soon as I can manage!

Dawn5497's Response to Yael Kadish's Review

Written on: 01/08/2008

I found this review helpful because...it was an honest and retrospective view of the hotel..... thankyou.

Carol Carter's Response to Yael Kadish's Review

Written on: 02/08/2008

I found this review helpful because...I am going on holiday to this hotel with my husband in October.

“People comment on the weddings, but in the 2 weeks...”

written by phg180 on 23/05/2006

People comment on the weddings, but in the 2 weeks that we stayed at the Maritim Hotel in Mauritius we only saw 2 in total, so don't let that put you off. The hotel, grounds, staff and beach were all wonderful, and I can't wait to go back.

“Maritim Hotel - The view as you walk into reception is...”

written by ruud2001 on 06/08/2005

Maritim Hotel - The view as you walk into reception is amazing. The staff can't do enough for you. The breakfast menu covers all tastes, as do lunch and dinner. The golf course will test any golfer and the water sports are easily accessible. I will return to the same hotel again.

“I got married April 2004 at the Maritim Hotel in...”

written by jojody1 on 05/08/2005

I got married April 2004 at the Maritim Hotel in Mauritius, and it was fantastic! Luxury, and decadence. All you could wish for. Guest relations are fabulous, especially at planning weddings!!

Cs2410's Response to 205009_jojody1's Review

Written on: 09/02/2006

It sounds like you had a perfect wedding. I am getting married there is October 2006 and would be grateful if you can give me details of what the wedding locations are like, where did you have your wedding meal and any further recommendations you may have. Thank you in advance.

“we stayed in a prestious room at Maritim Hotel, it was...”

written by lesley ann on 06/04/2005

we stayed in a prestious room at Maritim Hotel, it was very nice.
I had fresh towels every morning and every evening.
Take plenty of light clothing, it is very hot, but very humid, therefore nothing dries.

“On arrival at Maritim Hotel we were greeted with...”

written by dpmadhouse on 04/04/2005

On arrival at Maritim Hotel we were greeted with cocktails and hot towels, the view from the reception was amazing and everything you could dream about making the 12 hour journey worthwhile. We had our wedding on the beach and the staff and people that we met at the resort made it a day to remember. We had nothing to do except turn up and enjoy the day. We took the helicopter ride around the island it was awesome and the pilot was fantastic. Hotel and staff was everything that you could imagine and totally relaxing holiday. We did a stop over at Dubai for an overnight; highly recommend this to recharge your batteries and to see this wonderful city and gold market. Overall holiday was brilliant and recommend to anyone to visit the island and its friendly people.

“The 12hr journey is worth every bit as you step into...”

written by KarenE on 23/11/2004

The 12hr journey is worth every bit as you step into the Maritim hotel. A warm welcome with face towels and cocktails, attentive and friendly staff plus such a beautiful view. Checking in was easy and quick.

We were just in a basic comfort room which was much better than we expected, flowers and fruit on arrival plus rose petals scattered in the bathroom. Every room has a sea view and what a view - we never got tired of looking.

The Hotel is run to a very high standard (the German influence), everywhere is exceptionally clean and well kept. The staff are the hotels biggest asset they are so friendly and accommodating.

Food is excellent both in quality and choice.

The pool area is big and beautifully done. The spa is fab we had massages and facials. The boathouse is good with various sports and they keep a close watch on people making it very safe.

The only slightly negative things I would say are that the all-inclusive was a little irritating at times in the fact that you had to eat at set times and If you wanted fruit for example in the afternoon or ice cream or cake you had to pay extra for it. Fruit was approx £5.50 for a selection which I think bearing in mind it's a tropical island shouldn't be charged for.

Beware the sun beds have towels put on them early in the morning and we had to get up at 08.00 just to get a space. Irritating as some of the beds have towels reserving them but nobody sits there all day...the hotel supposedly remove towels after 2hrs if not in use but we never saw this happen.

Weddings! there are so many of them at the hotel so beware if you are planning a wedding here it is a beautiful location and the weddings are well done but we had 3 weddings a day during our stay and it was almost a little Las Vegas in the respect that the next couple were waiting for the one in front to finish... It put me off considering it in the future just because it wasn't as special as it could have been and was verging on the tacky.

Janiec's Response to 177797_KarenE's Review

Written on: 16/06/2005

I disagree with the comments regarding weddings at the Maritim. We were married there in December 2004 and it was fantastic. There was never more than 1 wedding per day. In fact during our 2 week stay I only saw perhaps four weddings in total(one of which was ours!)I certainly did not get any Las Vegas feel. Perhaps this reviewer spent all of her time doing nothing but sitting and waiting for weddings!

“We have been to Maritim Hotel five times, and ...”

written by julie hughes on 12/11/2004

We have been to Maritim Hotel five times, and cant wait to go back, we even renewed our wedding vows there. It is pure luxury with friendly courteous staff.

Cs2410's Response to julie hughes's Review

Written on: 07/02/2006

Hi, I am going to the Maritim at the end of October 2006 to get married. Could you advise what approximately the extra charges are for dining in the A La Carte restaurants?

Julie Hughes's Response to julie hughes's Review

Written on: 08/02/2006

hi there, you are lucky to be getting married at the maritim, you will have a lovelly day.
The photography is great, and please have a video, ours was lovely. I would have my wedding meal at the la maree beach restaurant, as they make it so special for you. If you are on an all inclusive deal, you will get a discount towards your meal. It is not expensive, and very good food, we used to eat there a lot.
I would try and get your wedding for about 4 o'clock, then you can have your sunset photographs done. This will leave time for a drink, whilst waiting for the sun to set. Richard and his boys who do the photography are so nice, they will make you relaxed. As i've said in the review the maritim is lovely and you will be spoilt rotten, I can't wait to go back. if you want to know any thing else please let me know. julie hughes

“I travelled to the Maritim Hotel on vacation in...”

written by suer61 on 21/10/2004

I travelled to the Maritim Hotel on vacation in October of this year, one of the best times of years to travel there I am told. After a 12 hour flight in economy I was tired, a treat lay ahead as we were ushered into a comfy seating area on arrival, served fruit cocktails (it was 7 am!) and welcomed by the CSM of the hotel. The view that greeted our tired eyes made the past uncomfortable hours melt away like a bad dream. The reception opens onto a vista of the Indian Ocean.

Our room was decorated with flowers and fruit and scattered with rose petals (we were not on honeymoon either)

The food is never tiring and of a very high standard. the chef is always on hand to give comments and suggestions on recipes.

I rode at the on site stables on two occasions and the horses are well cared for and the rides great. Cantering along the beach at 8 am is brilliant. It is also priced very low for riding at approx £ 8 per hour

The spa is a treat.

But the thing that makes this hotel so special is the staff, they are a joy. Attentive, willing, polite. I swear I lost the use of my arms at dinner, every need was catered for. On an island that appears to be so poor, I was told that to secure a job at the Maritime was not to be scoffed at, and they are keen to keep it.

The downside: despite the hotel asking residents not to reserve sunbeds, we laughed as we watched the 7am march of the husbands to the beach to do just that. Beach hawkers too could be a pest, but to be fair were polite, and are controlled by the hotel so only certain ones are allowed.

Would I return. No question. Would I do anything differently? Maybe fly premium economy.

“The Maritim hotel has got to be one of the best hotels...”

written by Jonno on 24/08/2004

The Maritim hotel has got to be one of the best hotels in Mauritius. As I visit Mauritius every year to see relatives, I get the chance to stay in many hotels around the island from Coco Beach to Sugar Beach to the Hilton. There is no doubt however that the Maritim hotel exceeds all my expectations. The setting is brilliant; the dining is not the best I've had but still extremely good. The room we were staying in had a balcony over a river which joins the sea. The service was good and any requests were dealt with. A major drawback however is the beach, which has many sharp pieces of shells etc. But the whole atmosphere makes up for it. It is set in a large area and it makes you feel like you are staying in a village. Arranging tours etc. is also very easy to do.

“For a three week honeymoon, we were spoilt rotten at...”

written by TimsterC on 18/08/2004

For a three week honeymoon, we were spoilt rotten at the Maritim Hotel. The flight was easy and the transfer was as stated, about an hour (ish).
The welcome drinks were very welcome by the time we got there.
The hotel is on the northwest side of the island and it's considerably less likely to rain on this side of the island.
Accommodation is fairly basic all the way up to luxurious. We were not offered the "upgrade" to a superior room, as they were full. But it was stated like that in the brochure, to be fair.
The food was buffet style in the main restaurant and was of a consistently high standard. Even though we were there for 3 weeks, we didn't get the same old thing time and again. A really good variety of dishes. I'm told the fish is very very good. (I don't eat fish)
There are two other restaurants in the hotel, and very posh a'la carte that was fantastic and also a beach-side restaurant that was very scenic and great to get away from the madding crowds. These are not in the all inclusive tariff.
The water sports were very good and mostly free. Sailing, Water skiing, pedaloos and snorkelling gear could all be borrowed from the deck. For first time sailors a free trial lesson was available.
The scuba diving was also excellent (supplementary charges), and the dive guides knew all the best local places. I do have to worry about the amount of handling of the fish life though. There were a could of good wreck dives and loads of reef dives. Not masses of fish, but enough to make you want to explore and find more. Some rare and interesting species could also be found if you looked hard enough.
The room was very clean and we noticed a great start and then a slump in the amount of towels we got. Then it got better again towards the end of the stay. I'm not normally a cynic but this could have been a ploy for a tip. I'd have preferred good service all the time to be honest.
Over all I would recommend this resort to anyone. There are numerous excursions you can get, helicopter ride round the island, taxi round the island for a day, taxi into Port Louis, etc.
We did the Heli ride and the taxi round the island.
Heli trip was worth the money as I have an interest in flying, but also as it showed you all the other hotels from the air. A nice perspective of the island that few would see.
The Taxi round the island for a day was a cheap way of shopping, looking at the sites and going where you wanted too without having to know where you were going. We visited the Severn Colour Earths, the extinct volcano, a tiny tin hut for the best curry lunch in the world and also a few of the "tourist" Ralph Lauren shops that litter the island.
BE VERY CAREFUL when buying any RL stuff, it seems to be made for the Asian market and the sizes are "interesting" to say the least.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone as it was clean, friendly and good value.

Dpmadhouse's Response to TimsterC's Review

Written on: 20/10/2004

Can you tell me if they supply beach towels at this hotel, also where they supply sky sports? If at all. Thanks

Geraldine Sweeney's Response to TimsterC's Review

Written on: 02/02/2006

I am getting married at the maritim in sept 06 I had booked the legends hotel but changed my mind after reading the reviews we have booked through virgin holidays and have booked the prestige room and upgraded the flight to buisness class has anyone been to the maritim recently and what will the weather be like in september.

Carlah2B's Response to TimsterC's Review

Written on: 09/11/2004

We booked our wedding through Stylish Resorts and their brochure states that all rooms except Comfort rooms have tea and coffee making facilities.
<br>
<br>Hope that helps. I can't wait for my wedding there so you must be very excited with it being only a few weeks away now.

Bournert's Response to TimsterC's Review

Written on: 09/11/2004

My Partner and i are going out on the 26th November to get married and honeymoon, having read all the good things about this hotel, we just want to know if there are tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms. The cresta brochure states that there are but none of the others mention or the hotel website mentions.
<br>Many Thanks
<br>will review the hotel on return

Written on: 02/11/2004

We did see weddings there. About one or two a day. It's a beautiful location and the flowers and stuff they used looked lovely.
<br>The video shoot and photo locations are awesome and the sunsets are great.
<br>I hope you have a lovely time. Don't forget that you will get a gorgeous dinner in the exclusive a la carte restaurant. The food in there is fabulous.

Carlah2B's Response to TimsterC's Review

Written on: 02/11/2004

Hello there,
<br>
<br>Great review on the Maritim.
<br>
<br>I wondered if you saw any weddings when you were there? I am getting married there in January and wondered what the locations were decorated like etc.
<br>
<br>Also, did you go on the golf course at all?

Written on: 25/10/2004

To find out time zone and weather info try http://www.mauritius.com/info/climate.asp and check the island geography page.
<br>for sunrise and sunset try this page
<br>http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=201

Written on: 25/10/2004

I can't remember exactly how hot it was, but it was high 20's low 30's most days. It rained one or two days we were there.
<br>
<br>The sunset was nice on this side of the island and as with all tropical locations it got dark very quickly once the sun had set. As to what time it got dark, I can't remember, but there must be a website out there that can tell you the sunrise and sunset times for any location in the world.

Ianpaulgomm's Response to TimsterC's Review

Written on: 24/10/2004

How hot was it in May? and what time does it go dark?

Written on: 21/10/2004

Yes to beach towels, you collect them and hand in your room charge card and then hand them back later.
<br>
<br>Not sure if you mean sky sports TV or ski sports in the water.
<br>The water ski was free, but we didn't watch any TV while we were there.