Costa Teguise, Occidental Oasis Reviews

Media Gallery for Costa Teguise, Occidental Oasis

Costa Teguise, Occidental Oasis
Costa Teguise, Occidental Oasis

“19/11/2010 ”

Written on: 20/11/2010 by lossibob (1 review written)

19/11/2010

friendly staff and very clean and tidy, Maid service was excellent, room cleaned every day with fresh linen and towels. Greats pools and plenty of sunbeds a Small White Sandy Cove Beach right outside the hotel, we stayed All Inclusive and the Food and drinks were excellent with lots of choice - Sirloin Steak, Fresh Fish, King Prawns etc,relax and enjoy the sun. Evening entertainment was absolutely fantastic.I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO EVERYONE !!!!

“Advertised as a 4*, apart from the room itself, I...”

Written on: 21/06/2010

Advertised as a 4*, apart from the room itself, I would not rate it over 2*.

To give you a better idea incase some area do not interest you I will break it down into areas.

Location:
They say it is 2km from Costa teguise centre, with a short walk along the sea front. This must be before the property next door was built, as you had to make a km detour just to get to the seafront before walking to the rest of the resort. A good way it to use the bus, every 20 minutes, and only 1.15euro each.

Food:
This was the biggest let down.
The food was the same every day, little or no choice. Pork every meal, no cooked meats at lunchtime. No omelettes or well cooked food at breakfast, and everything was always swimming in grease.
When more food was put out, it was ontop of the older food, not in place so if you got the last bits towards the end of the mealtime, you could be pretty sure it was there at the start of the meal time.
The tables were not cleaned between diners, and tablecloths were not changed if the placemats or overcloths could hide a stain or split drinks.
The hotel states it has 3 restaurants, even though only one is ever open (the buffet).
For snacks you had a choice of a cheese toastie, a ham toasie a cheese and ham toastie or a cold hot dog. This was the same every single day, and apart from the toastie which you had to make so could be sure it was warm, the hot dogs felt like they were straight from the tin, not even tepid.
This is one reason we will never stay here again, and champion others not to whenever possible.

Drinks:
Nearly all drinks are self serve, and the staff for other drinks seem to be unhappy when you ask for a drink which they need to prepare for you such as a cocktail. We had only one cocktail, and this was a good enough reason not to try any others. Totally disgusting, and the staff didn't even know what they were doing.
If you like hot drinks, there are non-available in the buffet apart from at breakfast, and then nearly every cup has remains of the last drink in it. You are also made to drink from polystyrene cups apart from at breakfast, mmmmmm.
The say there are 3 bars, none of which are open at the same time. Don't think of sitting in the evening outside to relax near the pool as you listen to the music from inside, the pool bar shuts at 5pm every day. The 2nd bar is poorly stocked, and the local drinks are nasty, not what we have had on our previous 3 trips to Costa teguise as local drinks. The 3rd bar is just a tap for you to poor your own beer.
The mini-bar in the room consists of only a fridge; the drinks for the mini bar can be re-stocked from a local shop.

Pool Area:
What a shame, the pool area has all the potential to be fantastic, however, there are very few parasols, most of which are very old, and are welded to the floor so no chance to get extra.
The sun loungers are years old, to the degree that the fabric has stretched so much you rest on the frame, and most have bird poo on them. In the week we stayed not once was the pool chairs or loungers cleaned.
The pools themselves are okay, but you don't know which one has salt water till you get in as there are no signs. Also beware of broken tiles around the pool as I spotted several and the staff just shrugged when I raised my concerns.
Not one part of the pool area or drainage around it was cleaned during our stay. To give you an idea, the leaves from last fall, which was a couple of months ago, where still in the drains. The pools had oil all over the surface, and no attempt was made to clean in the pool either. The lifeguard was never near the pool, mainly sat in the shade with no view of the pool itself, and did nothing all week to improve the cleanliness of the water as most hotels do.
The entire area around the pool didn't even get brushed in the week we were there, compare this to other hotels that brush daily, and wash down each evening or at least twice a week.
If you do go, take pool towels as the ones they give you are tiny and threadbare.
It doesn't exactly inspire you with confidence.

Public areas:
There were a bunch of cockroaches in the corridor, all were dead. Not a problem as normally some keen member of staff would clear them away. Well this was when we arrived, and they were still there when we left. This was after us telling Thomas Cook rep, and the hotel manager.
There were masses of dust on all the plants and ledges.
On the plus side, when you first walk in it look pretty nice, how deceiving.

Rooms:
Well here is the good bit; the rooms were lovely, plenty of hanging space, lovely bathroom, and nice beds, carpeted. Some seating in the room, a nice balcony (not overlooking the sea as occidental say all room do, I reckon 80% do)
Only downside was smelly aircon, like a drain, had maintenance deal with it a few times.

Saying this, we still had a nice time, as we ate out every night, had a lie in every day, and got lunch over the road. Please steer clear of this hotel, and opt for something closer to the centre of teguise, where there are plenty of bars, places to eat and nice places just to relax.

“GREAT GREAT GREAT the food is out of this world at...”

Written on: 22/05/2009 by rooter1 (1 review written)

GREAT GREAT GREAT the food is out of this world at Costa Teguise, Occidental Oasis and the weather is brill but at night it can get cool. Me and my kid loved it, so many things to do - you can even go and see some dolphins. that is so calming. the staff so so polite, the beach is a bit on the small side but the colour of the sea makes up for it. i will make sure we will go again as it is the best holiday in my life and we are all going again.

“We complained about the shabby room at the Occidental...”

Written on: 02/03/2009 by Julian and Lily (1 review written)

We complained about the shabby room at the Occidental Oasis, Costa Teguise, with a view of a power-station on arrival, and immediately but ungraciously were upgraded to a comfortable suite.

No-one ventured into the pool more than once - colder than Lake Huron. The local beach is a two minute walk through an underpass; ignore the graffiti, litter, and mountains of dog mess and you'll enjoy the beautiful bay. BTW the hotel staff declined to take any responsibility for the shocking state of the path to the beach, so I took some photos which I will share widely.

☆☆☆☆☆

“Went to the Occidental Oasis in December 2007. No good...”

Written on: 01/12/2008

Went to the Occidental Oasis in December 2007. No good points. Bad points, everything the food terrible entertainment rubbish. I would recommend.

Sons Of Bruce's Comment

Written on: 11/02/2010

I found this review not helpful because... Why would you say everything about the hotel was terrible, then say " I WOULD RECOMMEND !! "

Read 1 Comment

“Me, my sister and our partners stayed in the...”

Written on: 28/08/2008 by Tiamartin89 (1 review written)

Me, my sister and our partners stayed in the Occidental Allego Oasis in May 2008, the weather was fantastic but be warned, even when the sun is not out you can still get very burnt and this made us very uncomfortable as I am quite dark skinned and do not usually burnt but I was very bad and could not sleep at night. It got into the high 40's and it was almost unbearable. The staff are very friendly and love to get everyone involved in all the games, the fridges were not filled with any refreshments in the hotel rooms which I thought was quite bad so we went to the shop over the road for bottles of water to put in there, some of the alcohol you have to pay for but most of it was free, Beer, Malibu, Vodka, Bacardi etc.
The entertainment was ok, most of the nights it was quite boring but one of the night there was a fantastic acrobatic team on which was brill! The entertainment and bars shut quite early as we are all quite young we got bored very easily and just jumped in a taxi to town which was very cheap about 3 euros, the hotel itself is very nice and kept very clean, the room were great and every one had a fantastic view of the ocean. I would say this is more of a family hotel with a lot of things for children to do.
The swimming pools are freezing! but it was quite fun watching my boyfriends face when he jumped in! We were always at the small pool at the back of the hotel which is very private and no one was ever there, the only problem is there are no sunbeds round there but surrounded by grass so it was still comfy.
The beach at the bottom of the hotel is very small but still good for quiet time down there, the food was quite good although my boyfriend had not been abroad before and has a dodgy stomach, we had booked a night in the grill on the Wednesday which I wasn't very happy with at all! The portions were very small and it did not taste very nice! I regret not going to the Italian restaurant which I heard was very nice but take my opinion I wouldn't even waste your time in the grill! The menu was very small and there is not much to choose from!
The reception staff are wonderful and you can always have a laugh with them! They always make jokes with you and if you wish to go into town they will ring you a taxi. Overall our holiday was good but if there wasn't a town quite close to the hotel I think I would have been very bored! As we went to town everyday and there are quite a few english and irish bars, we were always in Ryans bar which is on the beach front and they are very friendly in there and the beer is very very cheap and tastes great! We went to Arrecife which wasn't very good and was far away from Costa Teguise, we were only there for about half an hour and went back to the hotel. I recommend you go to fire montain this is a fantastic trip into the volcanos and is very interesting!!!
I would recommend this hotel to families but me myself would not go again as this is not for 18-22 year olds, but overall I had a wicked time!

“Fun club great for kids, food was overall good, hotel...”

Written on: 03/05/2008

Fun club great for kids, food was overall good, hotel and rooms were clean and tidy, the maid was excellent, staff were friendly. Great holiday and will go back again. The pools were freezing including the heated pool, Thomson reps gave wrong info about shop times, the all inclusive finished at 12.00 even if you do not depart till late on that day. Will buy divers suit next time so I can go into the pool. Please forget about the stained carpets, if that's all you go on holiday to look at you might as well stopped at home.

“Just came back from short break. Overall good place to...”

Written on: 28/03/2008 by FRANKMNI (1 review written)

Just came back from short break. Overall good place to go and especially for families. will go again. Rooms very clean. Plenty of food. Staff friendly. Pool clean. Carpets shabby as said before. Pools freezing. Food average quality. Not enough parking space. All closes too early. Not much local info. TV had only Sky News, Nature programme and Fox movie channels in English. Hard to find rooms. My fridge was not stocked. Hard to get courtesy room on last day.

“My Boyfriend and I who are in our 20's stayed at the...”

Written on: 18/03/2008

My Boyfriend and I who are in our 20's stayed at the Occidental Oasis for a week in March We found the hotel clean and tidy but do agree with others about the carpets they were quite stained and shabby. We did have a few problems with the food I am Allergic to Seafood and also 5 Months Pregnant as a lot of the food was not labelled I was very unsure what had fish in it and what didn't therefore ate a lot of bread. The food was pretty much the same all week and got quite boring very quickly and breakfast always the same also one night we had chicken which was still pink!! Food was also cold. At the hotel you get one night in the La Carte we went to the grill at was possibly one of the worst meals we have ever had. The pool was very very cold! The Entertainment was quite good some nights and others it wasn't that great. We were quite surprised the whole place shuts down at 11.30pm. Most nights lots of people would be on the dance floor and get the bar having a good time at the second it turn 11.30pm music off bar shut which seemed to disappointment a lot of people. The Staff were very friendly and there English was good. We went there to chill out and that what we did. Good holiday nice hotel don't think it should be a 4 Star.

“Lovely rooms with dressing area, all of which have a...”

Written on: 10/07/2007 by blue yaris (1 review written)

Lovely rooms with dressing area, all of which have a see view and bottled water in the fridge (free). I was a little concerned about the building site next door, but work seems to have stopped, possibly because of its proximity to King Jaun Carlos' home.
If you make a return visit, it is worth mentioning it when you book in, we had our wristbands changes & got ALL drinks free. The pool bar has the soft drinks & Sangria taps on the customers side of the bar & you can just help yourself (& very nice it is too) It is a very quiet area but only a short bus ride from Costa Teguise. Across the road is a small crescent of shops, including a minimarket. Again the food was first class and varied, with fried food, sandwiches & salads by the pool at lunch time.

“I travelled to Costa Teguise last year with my...”

Written on: 07/06/2007 by shellywelly (1 review written)

I travelled to Costa Teguise last year with my husband, my daughter who is 3 and our 9 month old son and we had a great holiday. Everyone was so friendly and there was plenty to do without leaving the hotel. We had a great family room giving us our own bedroom and a spacious lounge for bed and cot. Fridge was kept stocked up. Swimming pool was great. Entertainment was good and the kids loved the disco. We only went for a week and we have now booked again to go in November for 2 weeks.

“I have recently returned from a holiday at the...”

Written on: 18/02/2007 by Ianvillaman (1 review written)

I have recently returned from a holiday at the Occidental Oasis. If only you could pick up the hotel and move it about a mile down the road. To one side you have a lovely view of the desalination plant. On the other side a view of a building site which now looks like they've just left it, barely started but not very pleasant to look at.
The cove is nothing but a pile of volcanic rock and a small corner with sand, probably smaller than your back garden, this is reached through a subway covered in graffiti.
The Hotel itself was very nice with the exception of the bath, which was old and rusty.
The food was OK but a bit repetitive.
The entertainment was good but the hotel is so far from anywhere that you would need a taxi to go elsewhere.
Overall, we liked the hotel but not the location, we went to Costa Teguise about a mile down the coast and that was very nice.
I hate to be negative with this review but I wish I knew these things before I booked my holiday.

“We went to Occidental Oasis hotel last year in October...”

Written on: 23/02/2006 by Skinback (3 reviews written)

We went to Occidental Oasis hotel last year in October and stayed All-Inc., we had our two grandchildern with us aged 2 & 8.
The family room was well equipped and was in a quiet annexe away from the hotel.
The mini bar was re-stocked every two days with water, pop, beer all free of charge.
The pool area is always clean, the water is clear and there are plenty of sunbeds.
The entertainment team work very hard for all age-groups and there is something for everyone to do, even if that means just doing nowt !
Plenty of sports/activities, gym, sauna,jacuzzi what more can you ask?
The restaurants are good with a varied choice, there are two al-a-carte restaurants which we didin't bother with just because it's abit difficult to book a time to eat with the kids.
No queues for drinks or food, they provide the towels, serve yourself drinks all day and night can't go wrong really can you?
Try it, you won't be disappointed,we weren't.
Going back there next Wed ( without kids!!)

“Costa Teguise, Occidental Oasis - My husband and I...”

Written on: 26/06/2004 by traveller (1 review written)

Costa Teguise, Occidental Oasis - My husband and I booked a late deal for a terrific price and although the hotel is officially rated 4 stars we weren't sure what to expect as we hadn't been to Lanzarote before. On driving up to the hotel you are impressed as the building stands out from the surrounding area. It is situated someway out of Costa Teguise but this does not pose a problem as it is only about 20mins walk either via coastline promenade or path along the road. The bus stop is directly outside the hotel (less than 1 Euro) and only minutes away and a taxi costs about 3 Euros. Buses or taxis take you to the other resorts and are extremely cheap and convenient as they are literally outside the hotel entrance.

The hotel is spacious and airy. They seem to have thought of everything to ensure the enjoyment and comfort of their guests. There are 3 restaurants (2 a la carte which you can use only once per week). The food was delicious and water, wine, beer, soft drinks are available with every meal (all buffet service). Snacks ranging from fried chicken (half a chicken), salads, burgers, hotdogs, baguettes and chips are available all day from the pool bar together with ice cream for everyone (not just children as is the case in some AI hotels). They have early continental breakfasts for those guests with early morning flights, i.e., 6.30am - 7.30am and you can help yourself to tea or coffee at any time. They even have a huge array of herbal tea.

The daytime entertainment is vast and they cater for everyone. Mini Fun Club, Teenagers and Adults. It is a very relaxing and quiet hotel (and it was full when we stayed). Activities range from table tennis, pool, shuffleboard, petanque, mini golf, archery, pistol shooting, basketball, squash, tennis, football, water aerobics, water polo etc etc., and each activity is offered to every age group. The pool area is spacious and immaculately kept. The pools are saltwater and some guests did not like this but there are showers all around the pool to rinse off the salt water before returning to your sunbathing. There is a separate children's pool which is not salt water and a children's play area. Plenty of sunbeds for everyone and sunshades.

Evening entertainment was different every night and most enjoyable. The staff involved are so hardworking, from early morning to after 1.00am and yet they still greeted you with a smile and buenos diaz every morning.

They hotel description mentions the beach and it is only yards away across a very quiet road or via the underpass but is consisted mostly of rocks and was small, although it still appeared to be popular with families and locals.

The area around the hotel is mostly barren. There is another very large complex across the road in front of the hotel but it is set back behind a handful of shops and there is no noise from it. Lining the small road behind the hotel, sea side, are a handful of single storey pure white villas. It is very picturesque.

I should perhaps mention that there is a constant breeze but it is warm and welcoming on the very hot days, however, it is possible to forget just how hot the sun is with the breeze blowing and if not careful you could suffer severe sunburn.

The hotel is suitable for all ages and abilities and had excellent facilities for those in wheelchairs. There are ample ramps and lifts.

This was the most relaxing holiday we have had and we would definitely like to return. Some guests told us they usually go in November or February as the weather is still excellent and it is much cheaper. Regardless of how much you pay this holiday is extremely good value for money and if you don't leave the hotel you wouldn't have to spend a single cent.

“We had a brilliant holiday at the Occidental Oasis in...”

Written on: 14/05/2004 by fran (1 review written)

We had a brilliant holiday at the Occidental Oasis in Costa Teguise. Im 14 years old and there was so much to do. Mini golf, football, basket ball, mini disco at night and brilliant nightime entertainment. My parents liked it because they had the whole holiday to relax and they didnt have to worry about me or my 10 year old brother. There was a resturant and also a pool bar which sold food like baguettes and cheese toasties. The fact that we went 'all-inclusive' made the holiday even better because i could go and eat or drink whenever i wanted. The rooms had a sea view, mini bar, safe and a balcony. There were 2 pools. One was heated but they were salt water. But they were in the process of building a fresh water swimming pool when we were there. We were never distuberd by the noise of the entertainment if we wanted an early night because the romms are away from the main lounge. My Dad and Brother enjoyed the T.V room where football games were on. Overall it was the best holiday i have had and we have decided to go back next year. I would reccomend it to couples or families because there is something for everyone.