Apex Car Rental New Zealand - www.apexrentals.co.nz Reviews

Apex Car Rental New Zealand - www.apexrentals.co.nz
3.3

Media Gallery for Apex Car Rental New Zealand - www.apexrentals.co.nz

“No after hours drop off at Christchurch Airport unless...”

written by kqCombs331 on 20/11/2023

There was no after hours drop off at Christchurch Airport location, unless scheduled beforehand, but they don't let you know this beforehand when renting from Queenstown. I wouldn't rent with them again. I rented from Queenstown with a drop off at Christchurch Airport. My flight left at 8:35 am and on the contract said I was dropping off at 8 am. I assumed that there would be an after hours drop off since it is an airport location. When I showed up at 6 am to drop off car, I was met by a locked gate and no after hours information. I missed my flight and had to spend $745 for same day tickets on a later flight. I've never rented from an airport car rental with no after hours key drop. I felt as though Queenstown should have given me the information when I rented with them. When I contacted them, they didn't seem to care. I was hoping to inform them so others wouldn't experience what I did. I learned my lesson and next time will rent with Hertz or Avis, in the end, Apex cost me a lot more money and stress.

“So easy and convenient”

written by RMDavies on 10/11/2023

We hired a vehicle from Wellington and dropped off in Wellington. We hired an IMax as they were 6 adults and a lot of luggage. The service to pick us up at airport and drop off was outstanding. The vehicle was perfect as well. Would highly recommend.

“Awesome service”

written by Carrienz on 16/09/2023

Arriving late, very stressed, the drivers picked me up on the shuttle, loaded my bags into the rental car and made the whole experience extremely easy. I didnt get their names but they were fantastic! The process in the office was informative and quick. The car was a late model Carolla and thoroughly clean. Top marks, will definitely hire again.

“Terrible Service”

written by xtSimmons39 on 27/12/2022

Picked up a car today that was booked by my partner via a 3rd party. Asked attendant if any was paid and they said no. They offered insurance for $200. 30 minutes after taking the car, I spoke to my partner who informed me that we already had insurance when we booked. I immediately called Apex and explained what had happened, and that I had paid for insurance based on the information when I picked up the car. The manager was unsympathetic and said they was nothing that they would do to help. This was very soon after we had paid them a significant sum of money on car rental. I strongly recommend against using Apex. Their systems are poorly integrated with their 3rd party booking providers, and they are clearly not interested in helping their customers. They are looking to maximise profits. The manager told me to add to the review that the attendant told me the price of insurance and the excess. I’m including it here as a follow though and because it demonstrates the complete lack of understanding or care..

“You won’t get what you pay for”

written by ReaganNeville on 24/10/2020

NOT EVEN WORTH ONE STAR. You won’t get what you pay for NOT EVEN WORTH ONE STAR! We had booked ten days car rental in Christchurch branch and experienced unpleased services in both pick up and return. 1. Dirty & irregular serviced car. So it’s safety issue involved. Car we had been given is a Toyota Corolla, trunk does close properly. Dirty and smell. Spotted all over the car body. Did ask staff help but that even worse to ask. Too unpleased to repeat what their response. Of course didn’t offer any apology and helps. REMEMBER TAKE PHOTOS 2. Highly opportunity you won’t get what you booked. 3yrs new; what marks online won’t be what you get. DON’T pay extra 15d per day for new car; they will give you irregular serviced 5yrs+ car anyway. Plus their excess fee is 2000 so you will add another 200 NZD for insurance. Can tell they try to put up a eco car rental image, But you will pay MORE afterall 3. Service; Totally nonsenses; not trained for service and non- respectful. Very poor experience and I will never rent from them again! You won’t get what you pay for.

“Thank you, Apex!”

written by kmnm on 23/04/2020

I hired from Apex twice just before the covid lockdown in March 2020, first to make a run from Queentown to Christchurch to try and catch a plane home when my original flight was cancelled and then the next day back to Queenstown when I was refused boarding due to boarders shutting down and no other immediate way to get home. The Apex team in Queenstown and Christchurch were completely amazing, kind and sympathetic to the jam I was in. When it looked like I could be stuck for a month they made it possible to rent a vehicle for the period and could not have been more helpful and understanding. Thankfully I was able to get a flight out after two weeks and the team at Apex, though working at home, ensured a speedy refund for the early return of the car. Thank you all, you made a stressful time that much easier!

“GOOD SERVICE, REASONABLE PRICE, COMFY CAR”

written by on 30/03/2020

We had booked a Toyota RAV4. Collecting in Christchurch City Centre and dropping off at Auckland Airport 19 days later. Reasonable price. They booked the car and us onto the Cook Straits ferry and happily changed the ferry booking when we changed our itinerary a bit. We had requested a luggage space cover so that our cases wouldn't be on show while we were on the road. The lady at the pick up managed to find one for us. I have to say that the car was not squeaky clean. The driver's seat and the consoles in the front were quite grubby. The car was super. Very comfy to drive (we did a lot of KMs). The drop off at Auckland went without a hitch with a quick transfer in their minibus to the terminal. Recommend.

“Great service and car. Amazing value.”

written by sharonpowney on 31/01/2018

Hired a car from Wellington and then drove through NZ and dropped off at Auckland. Just the basic Corolla but it was a really nice car. Very clean and tidy. Staff were all great. Paid out on top insurance and miles and the price was still way under all the other companies. After reading some of the reviews I was a bit sceptical but my experience was great.

“Range trickometer?”

written by HungryTom on 01/01/2016

I experienced a bizarre incident when I returned a hire car to Apex at Queenstown (NZ) Airport. I had just refuelled the vehicle but was not believed because the (faulty) range indicator was showing less than 500kms. The fuel gauge showed full and I produced receipts for all fuel purchases made during the hire period. But I was still not believed and was told that I had to either leave it for Apex to decide if the tank was full and therefore risk a refuelling charge or return to the filling station to fill up (again!). I was suspicious that this strange behaviour may have been part of a scheme, so I elected to go back to the local filling station and attempt to put more fuel in the vehicle. I have been driving for 45 years and am confident in my ability to refuel a car, but strange things can happen. However, as soon as I started to ‘fill’ the tank, the pump cut out. It was full. Undeterred, I pulled the nozzle back to the very top and squeezed some fuel in, drop by drop. I managed to dispense 2 litres, some of which inevitably ended up on the forecourt. The tank was now filled above normal recommended levels and certainly had far more fuel in it than when I initially hired the car. Back at the Apex depot, armed with yet another fuel receipt, I was at last believed, though the range indicator had not changed. I wanted to ask the manager (who, apparently, had made the decision not to believe my earlier statements) what was going on, but he was no longer available. I left the premises totally bemused by the whole episode. I later discovered that the issue with the range indicator is a known problem on that model (Toyota Corolla) – a relatively small amount of fuel added may not be enough to impact the range reading, as stated in the owner’s manual. (When I had earlier filled the car up, it had only required around seven litres.) I did not know that as I have never owned a Toyota Corolla, nor was there a manual in the hire car. But I would have thought that Apex would be aware of that. I wrote to Apex NZ Head Office, asking why I was not believed and why the manager would not speak to me. I received a holding email, promising a response within a few days, but that was over a month ago. I am still at a loss as to what it was all about. My advice? If you use Apex, allow plenty of time when returning your vehicle, keep all fuel receipts, record kms travelled, note range readings on collection, before and after every refuel and do not trust Apex to decide later whether you owe them money or not – get the matter resolved at the time. I would not be tempted to bypass this potential nonsense and accept the pre-purchase of a full tank. This never makes economic sense when hiring a car unless you have the ability to pre-plan distance and can accurately predict fuel consumption and thus return the car empty, but in NZ it is not at all practical. Towns and therefore fuel stops are few and far between, so the golden rule is to top up whenever you are able to. I think it is shameful that hire car companies in NZ promote this money making practice.

“TERRIBLE COMPANY ”

written by MaramenaBallantyne on 06/12/2015

During my recent trip to Christchurch, where I had a booked a vehicle from Apex Car Rentals, I arrived at their Christchurch branch expecting to hire a car from them, and I was ABSOLUTELY DISAPPOINTED. As a person who does not own a credit card, I was told that even though I had the money required to hire the car I had booked from them, that because I did not have a credit card, I would not be able to hire from them unless I paid them $2000. Unfortunately I am not the type of person that has that type of money just lying around and so I had to quickly contact another car company to hire a vehicle from them. Thankfully Go Rentals in Christchurch were able to help me out when I needed to find a reasonably priced vehicle in a hurry after Apex Car Rentals let me down. I will NEVER EVER be renting a vehicle from Apex Car Rentals EVER again. And I will NEVER recommend my family and friends to hire from them. The customer service was beyond poor, their expectations of customers who don't own credit cards are unrealistic, and they were the most unhelpful people I have ever dealt with. I am just thankful that Go Rentals were available to help me when I needed them. I will be recommending Go Rental car services in the future to all my friends and family.

“Twelve week hire....”

written by SandsJ on 10/04/2015

Just back from 12 week trip touring North & South Islands. Rented a Roadtrip Nissan Sunny from Auckland and dropped off in Christchurch having done 9000km trouble free driving. Great wee car. Easy booking process, helpful friendly staff throughout - pick up and drop off quick and efficient. Very competitively priced especially the inclusion of the ferry ticket. Would highly recommend using Apex to anyone especially if considering an extended rental as being able to take the car between the Islands was a big bonus.

“Timely Service”

written by FabianOdum567 on 28/01/2015

I have rented different cars from Apex Car Rental and I am happy with their punctuality and prompt responses. Anyhow, I had a friend who had had a bad experience with this company because one employee had messed up with the dates.

“Mixed experince of customer service”

written by Jacksonfr372 on 31/05/2014

My initial query by phone, after looking at website prices. was treated terribly, (I wanted to know if the cheaper prices coming in in 2 days time would apply to my rental if collected that day - I was hiring for a few weeks). I was told bluntly NO. Fortunately I went back to them and spoke to a different person who was very helpful and assured me that the price would be set at the "new rate". Subsequently a minor accident (not my fault) was dealt with very well and then a minor accident (my fault) took a couple of months to resolve. A tad more customer service training might be in order. The car was very good value and they returned a portion of my deposit (I did not take out CDW)and I regard them as honest but they will have lost other customers due to brashness of some staff. I will use them again tho.

“Outstanding Customer Service”

written by Finnbarr on 12/04/2014

My wife and I had booked a car from Apex some time ago for our trip to Wellington. Unfortunately because of weather we were unable to land at Wellington in spite of two attempts and returned to Auckland where our flight was cancelled. I then advised Apex that we would not be travelling as available flight time would not have allowed us to be present at the celebration, a 50th wedding anniversary. Apex were very prompt in their communications and have subsequently provided us with a full refund. A company that is prepared to do this has my complete endorsement and will be recommended to my friends and will use them in the future. Well done Apex.

“Apex....SAD customer service!!!”

written by on 05/01/2014

We booked a car from this company not long ago. The staff member who made the booking assured us that, as per their website, the car is a *GUARANTEED* Toyota Corolla 2006/2007!! I re-confirmed via email that the car was a 2006/2007 Toyota Corolla. Yet, on the day, we were given an older Nissan Sunny. The SAD bit of experience with Apex, is the attitude of the branch manager on the day. We waited for 2 hours after initially being told that that we had booked just as ecomony car as opposed to a Toyota Corolla!!?? And when it was pointed out to the manager that that the person making the booking had 2 minues earlier CONFIRMED that a 2006/2007 Corolla had been booked, the said manager was rude and arrogant and said that there were no other cars available. When i made a fuss, suddenly a 2006 Corolla magically appeared when we were told there was none available. Complaints to the Head Office resulted in the staff member copping the blame. And, what i perceive to be a cover uo for manager on the day, saying he was under pressure having worked 10 days without a break. (NOT being insensive, but thats not my problem). While i accept that mistakes do happen, it is the attitude of the manager that left an even more bitter taste than the fact that were made to wait 2 hours!! Finally, a note to the manager: Get some training from your staff member on customer relations! Cos he was much more professional that you!! Regards

“Poor costomer service”

written by on 28/12/2013

We hired a Corolla from Apex for 10 days. it had done 192,000KM on meter and wiper made constant noise, which was annoying during long distant drive. But the most disappointed thing was Apex customer service. When our car's front wheels stuck in water I called Christchurch office for help. Instead of useful advice, the manager keep emphasis I will get charge for toll truck, car damage, etc. If you call for rescue, what you hear from the other end is charge for ambulance, helicopter, huge medical bill, how do you feel? If I have to pay I will pay, but how about rescue customer first? After I finally pulled myself out of trouble without help, I informed Apex office the car had no damage. But I later found Apex still charged my credit card $1500. Why rush charge insurance claim without seeing any damage? They always had my credit card as insurance. Even they refund me $1500 eventually, I still lost over $50 foreign currency trans fee. The bad experience with Apex was the only low point of a wonderful NZ holiday.

“Fuel Discount Scam”

written by on 11/11/2013

One thing to watch out for is the fuel discount they offer you. They offer you a 20% discount off a tank of fuel, meaning you can return the car empty. What they don’t tell you is that it is based off the manufacturers total tank capacity (that includes the portion below the red line). In other words it’s no discount at all if you fill up when the car indicator/gauge is on empty. This annoyed me when I couldn't work out why I was filling up the car elsewhere during our travels from 'empty' and charged around same price as they offered.

“Helpful with kids”

written by EvelynKemp on 01/11/2013

Deciding to take the kids away for school holidays I needed to get a rental car. I found Apex on the internet, and booked a Camry sedan to fit us all in. The booking was easy to complete and I noticed they had free child seats so I went with them (good price too). When I got off the flight, I called the phone number for them to collect us. They told me to go outside the terminal and the van would be there soon. To my amazement, when I got outside the van was there already. The man told me they had 2 vans going back and forth constantly. A good start when you have kids with you. The van had child seat in it too so we set off straight away. 2 minutes later we were at the Apex office. When I booked on the internet I had filled out the form with all my details (express information) so when I was at the counter it was really quick to get going. The car was exactly what I chose and was clean and tidy. The car seat was very clean and modern. The car went well and had no problems. After our holiday we went back to the Apex office where we were greeted by a man who helped me get the kids back in the van. We waited while he fitted a car seat in the van to take us to the airport. At the airport he helped me get my luggage on a trolley which was very much appreciated. Nice one Apex, you made it much easy for me to travel with the kids.

“Great Experience with these guys”

written by on 28/10/2013

I hired a Toyota Corolla for 17 days from Apex at Auckland Airport. Fantastic, near new car - service was outstanding. Pick up and drop off smooth as the proverbial Thoroughly recommend

“GOOD SERVICE, GOOD PRICE GOOD CAR”

written by on 02/10/2013

Easy to choose a car, easy to pay, the car was good as expected, I changed my booking and they were so kind for me to do so, they can actually say no, everything was nice and I will use them again. thanks paul and laura

Asked by Michelle253 on 21st July 2014 Report this content
If I am from Malaysia, I have my own GPS, can I use it in New Zealand when I am travelling? Thank you very much.

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site