Yamada DVR-8000 Reviews

• Sound Quality

Yamada DVR-8000 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Yamada DVR-8000

“Very noisey unit,”

Written on: 18/11/2020 by DionCruz (6 reviews written)

Poor instructions, very noisey unit, terrible remote design (I mean so bad that trying to find Play was an ordeal), unit very slow (to the point where I thought it had crashed), crashed a lot (both units), had two units neither of which recorded sound.

“7pkpmMiy”

Written on: 03/08/2014 by Jairob34 (1 review written)

- You're right, D day means something eitrnely different to some of us. I can not only tell you the date, but all the details of the days Justin was diagnosed with Type one diabetes and then Epilepsy. I will never forget. Both broke my heart. Chance has to have the sweetest face ever and I am so glad his story has been able to reach others. I'm sure you know how it feels to find someone who understands and those families are blessed that you are willing share your families journey with them.I look forward to seeing what he can do next year He is truly an amazing young man.

“I've come to hate this device. Working with it has...”

Written on: 23/09/2007 by cdavis999 (1 review written)

I've come to hate this device. Working with it has revealed that it is exactly as it appears: a demo system from the chipset manufacturers with a badge. The fiddly setup required for recording would be acceptable if it wasn't also required for simple DVD playback as well! As a general-use DVD player it's simply horrible. More than anything else, the pains of using this device has led to my almost never using it for recording. Support seems non-existent - which figures given that the engine of this machine was built by a chipset manufacturer as a demo. Yamada themselves - such as they are - seem to have no technical knowledge of the system. One firmware release and that was that.

“Because the Yamada DVR8000's remote has blue patches...”

Written on: 02/01/2005 by coolhero (3 reviews written)

Because the Yamada DVR8000's remote has blue patches with black writing it is dificult to read. When you start to get into the menu there seems to be no logic and some item like when you have finished with a function does not tell you how to get out.

“I bought the Yamada DVR8000 as an entry level machine...”

Written on: 20/12/2004 by vholley (1 review written)

I bought the Yamada DVR8000 as an entry level machine in August and was prepared to overlook the unfriendly interaction due to the cheap price.

However, it became increasingly disfunctional, freezing when put on timer then the draw stopped working.

When I phoned to claim on the warrenty the YAMADA number was a voicemail and so far no-one has phoned me back.

Stay away from this machine. It's cheap for a reason.

“The Yamada DVR8000 is a great unit for price (I paid...”

Written on: 12/11/2004 by flickerspoon (1 review written)

The Yamada DVR8000 is a great unit for price (I paid £105). The fan is a bit loud but can't hear it when sound system is on.
I'm a great believer that you get what you pay for but this unit contradicts this.

“Saw the recorder for sale at a good price from Richer...”

Written on: 08/10/2004 by taylorim (1 review written)

Saw the recorder for sale at a good price from Richer Sounds, so read the reviews here first. Reviews didn't seem too promisiing, but bought one anyway. I have upgraded the firmware to V3, and the unit seems to be a little cracker. Produces TV quality pictures and sound on standard setting (2 hours to a disk). Using more compression (3 hours to a disk) you get video quality recordings, still perfectly acceptable. I have not experienced any of the problems reported by the other reviewers, maybe I am lucky, maybe not! The unit is a little slow to load up a partly recorded disk compared to my DVD player, but this maybe normal speed for DVD recorders, I have nothing to compare it with. Apart from a remote control that is not laid out logically, I am very happy with the recorder.

“I bought the Yamada DVR 8000 after reading all the...”

Written on: 16/09/2004 by Dreegez (1 review written)

I bought the Yamada DVR 8000 after reading all the different reviews. I have to admit that I haven't had a problem at all with mine and for the price it was an excellent buy. BUT....... A VERY BIG BUT.

YOU CAN'T PLAY THE DISCS ON ANY OTHER DVD PLAYERS.

Why I want to know. If any one does have a cure for this please let me know.

Also don't set it to stop recording after half hour intervals. IT WILL FREEZE YOUR MACHINE.

Primal's Response to Dreegez's Review

Written on: 15/03/2005

Discs play fine on the Ronin PH90 available from Special Reserve for under £40.

Dreegez's Response to Dreegez's Review

Written on: 17/03/2005

Sorry it was me being stupid. You need to finalize the dvds after recording.

Read 2 Comments

“The recording on the Yamada DVR8000 machine is...”

Written on: 28/08/2004 by Steve the dvd man (1 review written)

The recording on the Yamada DVR8000 machine is excellent. The playback is crystal clear. Unfortunately the 3 recorders I have had, from Richer Sounds, bought then taken back for exchange, have all had problems. Even the guys at Richer Sounds warned me against buying it.
1. Dvd+rw after 4 records then a delete, bad pixelation on playback of 4th recording.(Samsung dvd+rw). Otherwise everything else was OK.
2. Pixelation on a record for the first time.
3. Scart input from sky sat gave obscure pictureson the dvd channel.
Seriously, don't buy this recorder until UMAX have sorted out all the software problems. There have been so many returns of this item.
You have been warned!

“I bought the Yamada DVR8000 because of good reviews...”

Written on: 08/07/2004 by kernow (2 reviews written)

I bought the Yamada DVR8000 because of good reviews and a low price. I wish I hadn't bothered. It sounds like its about to grind itself into oblivion every time it's turned on, takes for ever to start up and once it has started takes ages to recognise that any disks have been put into it. So far I've been unable to find ANY disks which can be used for long play recording for more than two hours without the machine throwing a hissy-fit and refusing to co-operate. Yamada's "technical support" can only suggest a rather unhelpful web-link which tells me that the disks I am using should work, but if they don't to read the same website over again. So I am left with a machine that does half a job in a half-hearted way, from a company that is next to useless at helping customers.
On the plus side, if there is one, it can record fairly adequately for two hours, but I bought the machine to archive a lot of old videos, and will not be able to do so for programmes which last for longer than two hours. If anyone can suggest a type of disk that works, I'd be grateful. TDK, Maxell, Memorex, Mitsubishi, or Mirror don't!
Avoid buying this machine and spend your money on a more compatible one.

Coolhero's Response to kernow's Review

Written on: 03/01/2005

Firstly this machine has 2 scart sockets. Try flashing the rom as is mentioned in another review and Philips dvd+r and rw both work with no problems.

Read 1 Comment

“It's a shame one reviewer has had a bad time with the...”

Written on: 29/06/2004 by shenley (1 review written)

It's a shame one reviewer has had a bad time with the Yamada DVR8000 otherwise I think it would score much higher and be in top 3 with all the recorderd that retail at well over £200.
The fan sounds like a PC fan which could mean it can be replaced with a quieter PC cooling system. I might try it once the warranty has expired.

“This Yamada DVR8000 DVD Recorder has a very loud fan...”

Written on: 20/06/2004 by mgasson (1 review written)

This Yamada DVR8000 DVD Recorder has a very loud fan noise (sounds like a PC), It said that is was Scart but when i got it home found that it had separate scart in and out and they only did video not audio. Why they couldnt have just have had a single scart in/out with audio is beyond me. Found it to be unreliable on scart also, I upgraded the flash rom and it still dropped the video and audio half way through a recording. I will be getting a refund Monday as I have a scart switch box and this machine is unreliable.

“This Yamada DVR8000 is a fantastic DVD Recorder. Once...”

Written on: 01/06/2004 by carll (2 reviews written)

This Yamada DVR8000 is a fantastic DVD Recorder. Once you upgrade the ROM to the latest version, which is freely available over the net at Yamada's web site, you fix all those nigily little problems the earlier versions had. It can now record +/- versions, channel numbers with names and the correct sort order. The quality of the four hour setting is akin to a video, havent tried the 6 hour yet, but the 2 hour is DVD quality.

“The Silver Yamada DVR8000 DVD Recorder looks modern...”

Written on: 07/04/2004 by lady jane (1 review written)

The Silver Yamada DVR8000 DVD Recorder looks modern and up to the minute
-Ability to record from VHS onto DVD, which is great for saving all of those aging epsiodes of Eastenders that you can't bear to throw away!
-Digtal Camera/Camcorder output socket on the front of the machine, which is great for viewing snaps in an instant. The output socket is cleverly hidden.