Royal Bank of Scotland Reviews

Royal Bank of Scotland
1.4

Royal Bank of Scotland - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Royal Bank of Scotland

“Worst Bank, Chinese banks would be more trustworthy”

written by Fred2446 on 17/12/2023

Tried to transfer money and got flagged to the fraud department, After answering all the security questions in the department, it still took a visit to a NatWest branch to get my account unfrozen. 4 Hours I won't get back. This is a bank who thinks your money belongs to them. I am moving all my money to me wife's account just to get away from these idiots. It's a real pain to move to a new bank but i am now motivated to do it, Nothing could be worse than RBS I wish you had an option for not stars.

“Fking shyt. Pure shyt”

written by richlo on 07/11/2023

Moved to this bank for a free £100 and still regret it. Cost me more in time wasted trying to spend my own money. Mastercard shares blame, both Mastercard and RBS use terrible verification processes that are nothing but a complete waste of effort. ROYAL BANK OF SHYT don’t bother

“Shocking switch. I will never switch again. ”

written by Abernathy1982 on 25/09/2023

RbS have my money, they have blocked my account. Unusual activity on my account, don't make me laugh, it's been opened barely a week, how would you know what my activity is. Shocking service. I will switch out as soon as I can.

“Rubbish customer support ”

written by luRasmussen45 on 05/09/2023

Trying for last two days to make a payment to my son in Canada which is within the daily limit of £1000.00 however the system keeps saying it exceeds the daily limit. The automated help available is useless as the robot doesn’t recognise what I am saying and keeps telling me how to imput the details on my banking app, which I already know and have spent hours yesterday and today trying. After the bank has shut the majority of its branches a proper customer support service where you can speak to a real person should be available instead of the stupid robot which never understands what you say Having banked with RBS and it’s former banks since 1964 I am utterly disgusted and looking to moving my accounts to a bank which is helpful

“£200 switch offer a complete joke!”

written by AhmadAli786 on 09/08/2023

I made the switch and was expecting £200 to be in my account within 7 calendar days in accordance complaint RBS swith offer terms and conditions. I met all criterias and it is now well over 7 calendar days and nothing has come through. Called RBS customer service couple of times and was told, yes i have met all criterias and they don't understand why the £200 has not been paid. Then told my only way to reach out to the switch team was via the app CORA. 2 days on no reply from Cora. RBS were very fast for the switch over but now they don't want to know me or the £200 offer. If a business states 7 calendar days and they don't meet this promise, then does it matter if they take a day, week, month or a year? The 'within 7 calendar days' criteria hasn't been fulfilled by RBS. They failed. I've complained but no confirmation or acknowledgement of my complaint. I am regretting it now... So called 'CORA' is a complete joke. Communication overall very poor. Majority of staff not so friendly.

“discrimination racism”

written by Cameron_2023 on 28/06/2023

I had an unfortunate experience while attempting to open an account with a RBS bank. Despite holding a British passport, they refused my application due to the lack of a Permanent Resident (PR) card. I find this decision perplexing, as British citizens are not required to possess a PR card to reside in the UK. It raises concerns regarding potential discrimination based on appearance or accent. To my surprise, after filing a complaint, a case handler contacted me. When I inquired about the need for a permanent resident card, the handler avoided answering and later notified me via email that my case had been closed.

“Don't do it!”

written by Kallie56 on 29/03/2023

Do not move to this bank unless you want your account frozen and left with no access to money. Took advantage of the switcher offer and transferred over the funds, as you need to deposit £1250 to qualify, and low and behold, every transfer was flagged by the dept until the account was suspended. Was advised this was because of suspicious transfers. Have since read online that rbs have done this to others.

“No customer care or responsibility ”

written by 497O'Reilly on 11/12/2022

These people claim to have sent out my new debit card nearly two weeks ago however I am yet to receive it and what do they do when I ring them, blame it on the postal strike, even though I'm still receiving all my mail from other companies and hospitals! How can the postal strike be affecting there mail but no one else's, my bills are coming through as usual why isn't there mail!! Terrible bank and terrible customer service!!!

“The RBS and Natwest Group don't do anything to combat...”

written by 1948O'Sullivan on 14/03/2022

The RBS and Natwest Group don't do anything to combat crime. I got defrauded and they refused to reimburse me. But they also said they do not bother reporting the crime although they had the account number, name and address of the fraudster. They also said they are not interested in the security of people's money and blame the customers. What a bunch of selfish... Well, you decide! Stay well clear of this bank because they are the worst ever!

“plawsable denial without reason”

written by TrinityRollins on 02/03/2022

Why would a bank not close an account of decised person? THEY WANT THE USE OF THE MONEY. First they say they didn't receive the letter of Administration. My lawyer sent another registered. Can't find it. 4 day after the post office report showing it was received. I call the next day they acknowledge receipt. Going to be another ten days. Please send a email documenting this conversation. Advised me they can't because they don't have that ability. They read my email proof submission while we were on the phone. They don't use the post office receipt date, no they use the 5 days after date recieved, according to the Bank. We shall see if they make their own date. Un-acceptable do not use this bank.

“Worst Bank Ever”

written by Maverick3137 on 13/10/2021

Truly appalling. I have banked with them for 35 years. They have shut down all but 1 branch in Birmingham and then told me a mis-truth. A well known Broadband provider who I have come out of contract and cancelled 4 weeks ago are refusing to stop taking money from my debit card. As a result of this I have cancelled repeat payments from my card. Six days after I did this, the broadband provider once again took money. When I contact RBS to tell them, they told me that only the Vendor can cancel these subscriptions / payments and that I need to sort it out with the vendor. I checked the FSA Regulations and this is just NOT true. I will be closing all of my accounts with this bank which is effectively aiding and abetting illegal activity. Utterly disgusted.

“No response to request for transfer to Step son”

written by Nawtee on 02/07/2021

I’ve been trying for over a year to get money to my step son. 1. Tried to get him loaded as a third signatory. I’m presently residing in South Africa. Eventually after following all instructions, was told no longer possible. 2. Then sent document requesting a transfer of funds to my step son’s account. Letter received by Albyn Road branch in Aberdeen 4 weeks ago. I’ve followed up with emails. Absolutely NO response. Money is needed urgently due to loss of income in SA due to pandemic.

“Fraud team and complaints dept rude and unprofessional ”

written by Gisella on 06/08/2020

I had a terrible, humiliating experience when they blocked a payment without informing me. Then the rude fraud team blocked my whole account because they asked me a security question that THEY did not know the correct answer to! 3.5 hour round trip to nearest branch to unblock account. Of course I complained, of course they lost the recording that backed up my complaint...that seems to be the standard excuse! I'm autistic(asperger's),sickening anxiety during all this and the customer service lady asked me to bring proof of my autism to the branch. That was when I decided to close my accounts and switch to Santander I now earn £17 a month from my account compared to a laughable couple of pounds a year from RBS for my savings. Dont use this bank, read all the bad reviews, go to a real bank with nice staff and a fraud team that doesnt actually make your life difficult.

“Kindness on a bad day”

written by SusanPB on 19/02/2020

I was having a serious senior moment with my digital app. I decided to ring the helpline - the young man who answered was extremely patient ( my senior moment soon became moments) and calm. I’m afraid on the phone my voice cracked with emotion. Soon everything was resolved. I thanked the said young man profusely and he asked whether he could send me some flowers from RBS. They’ve arrived today and are beautiful. A lovely gesture and kindness.

“RBS is by far the worst bank in the UK!! Arrogant staff”

written by fcHastings177 on 15/08/2019

One star is too many. Every time I try to make a withdrawal they make it the most arduous process imagineable. When it doesn't go through, I notice a couple of days later (RBS never notify you) and after being passed from person to person eventually am put through to the fraud team. They then ask me to go into the branch. In the branch they verify my ID, address etc. etc. Then my transaction still doesn't go through. I then ring again. Fraud tell me to go into branch again etc. etc. Most UK banks are rubbish, but RBS is an extremity! If you want to transfer more than £50 then this is not the bank for you as they will make your life a misery constantly having to ring their arrogant and smug jobsworth fraud team and then repeatedly taking in your proof documents to their branches. My husband has the phone RBS app and is continually asked to update his phone number, which hasn’t changed for years. They say “message us” but when you try that they then say log in to digital banking. Useless. This is the way to lose customers but what do they care? If my husband has changed bank and so will I.

“DISGUSTING CUSTOMER SERVICE”

written by totall_disgtuntled on 23/11/2018

AVOID AT ALL COST UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SPOKEN TO LIKE A CHILD AND BELITTLED IN FRONT OF OTHER CUSTOMERS. EVERY EXPERIENCE (WEEKLY) OF VISITING THIS BANK IS A BAD ONE. MAYBE RBS NEED TO CONSIDER SENDING THEIR EMPOLYEES ON A CUSTOMER SERVICE COURSE IN HOW TO DEAL WITH CUSTOMERS WITH BASIC RESPECT. 4 TIMES WE HAVE BEEN TO THIS BANK THE OTHER WEEK FOR CASH DUE TO THEM MESSING US AROUND NOT PUTTING ENOUGH CASH IN, ANALYSING SIGNATURE ON THE CHEQUE GRANTED THATS THEIR JOB BUT NOT WHEN WE HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OUT WEEKLY. THE STAFF SIT IN THEIR CHAIRS AND SHOUT INSTEAD OF JUST PRIVATELY SPEAKING TO YOU. ALL AROUND ITS HORRIBLE AND MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE ITS THEIR ON PERSONAL MONEY YOU ARE WITHDRAWING.

“OK as long as you don't want personal service”

written by heidiandiain on 24/03/2018

As my sister's Power of Attorney, I operated her account through the app with no problems. Sadly, she passed away so I began the process of resolving her account. It was impossible to contact her branch. I phoned the "bereavement team" to make an appointment. Not possible. Just go in. But I'd like an appointment - I live 120 miles away and don't want to risk it. Oh. OK. I'll email the branch and get them to phone you. Can't you contact them now? No, we can only use email..... No phone call came. i went in. The staff member was taken aback - we don't deal with bereavement. You have to contact the bereavement team and send everything by post. What??? Well, you can phone them now. What??? Why can't you? I don't have your reference number. What? But you have my account and name, I have ID and the Death certificate.... And so on. No sympathy. No sitting me down to explain the procedure. Eventually another member of staff photocopied my stuff and told me the "bereavement team" would be in contact. Then I went to the Nationwide and TSB.. Both dealt with me with sympathy, sat me down and explained the process. Both filled in all the forms with me. Both took me to the door and shook my hand and gave me their card in case I have any questions. AVOID RBS!!!! You can't contact the branch, can't make an appointment and are treated like a Unit of Income, not a person.

“Not a bank”

written by Soto44 on 08/03/2018

Being of a certain age I like the telephone banking the staff are always polite and accurate unless there new and have been thrown in at the deep end which is what RBS do, the problem is there systems are rubbish and crash constantly so while that happens I have no bank unless I want to drive to the branch paying for parking etc, and let's face it that will close soon, 40 years I've been with this bank, if it wasn't for the fact that all the others are just as bad I would move, truth is there all rubbish.

“What customer service?”

written by frMcCormack158 on 13/11/2017

I have been a customer for over 10 years, with more than 500K going through an online mortgage account without problems. I recently arranged to get some of my money from an affiliated bank, all arranged in advance, with a member of staff from the RBS. I thought.... To cut a long story short, I turned up for an appointment at the said bank and was unable to collect my money. (RBS claimed TSB at fault) After speaking to a manager at the RBS try to sort the problem, I raised an official complaint. I was told this may take upto 4 weeks to investigate and report their findings. This was over 8 weeks ago. After the 4 weeks had passed, I chased up the case having heard NOTHING. Surprise surprise, nothing had been done...... My enquiry resulted in a letter to inform me they were looking at the case, and I should hear something within 4 weeks. Over 8 weeks later, I still haven't been able to withdraw my money from the branch that was agreed in advance. And more to the point, after 8 weeks of RBS customer care, I still haven't been informed why the transaction was unable to be completed.

“Utter disrespect ”

written by steveh14 on 01/11/2017

Loyal customer of 20 years treated with utter disrespect. Chat online and told to come back tomorrow. Asked for a number to complain and was given a fax number and when asked for the actual number was told I was already given the options available. Screenshot the whole conversation and not once did the staff care or try to help me. Seriously can’t believe how little they value their customers

Asked by peter_bla on 29th July 2014 Report this content
Does RBS check criminal records before employing staff?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site

Answers (2)
Report this content stopwhiningffs Written on: 30/07/2014
It depends on the job applied for. If you have a criminal record and don't declare it even though you've been asked and they find out at later date you could be dismissed for lying on application form. You should declare if they ask.
Report this content andypa38 Written on: 03/08/2014
They did not with me. 8 yrs there no checks.