Royal Bank of Scotland Reviews

Royal Bank of Scotland - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Royal Bank of Scotland

Royal Bank of Scotland
Royal Bank of Scotland

“The RBS and Natwest Group don't do anything to combat...”

Written on: 14/03/2022 by 1948O'Sullivan (1 review written)

The RBS and Natwest Group don't do anything to combat crime. I got defrauded and they refused to reimburse me. But they also said they do not bother reporting the crime although they had the account number, name and address of the fraudster. They also said they are not interested in the security of people's money and blame the customers. What a bunch of selfish... Well, you decide! Stay well clear of this bank because they are the worst ever!

“plawsable denial without reason”

Written on: 02/03/2022 by TrinityRollins (1 review written)

Why would a bank not close an account of decised person? THEY WANT THE USE OF THE MONEY. First they say they didn't receive the letter of Administration. My lawyer sent another registered. Can't find it. 4 day after the post office report showing it was received. I call the next day they acknowledge receipt. Going to be another ten days. Please send a email documenting this conversation. Advised me they can't because they don't have that ability. They read my email proof submission while we were on the phone. They don't use the post office receipt date, no they use the 5 days after date recieved, according to the Bank. We shall see if they make their own date. Un-acceptable do not use this bank.

“Worst Bank Ever”

Written on: 13/10/2021 by Maverick3137 (1 review written)

Truly appalling. I have banked with them for 35 years. They have shut down all but 1 branch in Birmingham and then told me a mis-truth. A well known Broadband provider who I have come out of contract and cancelled 4 weeks ago are refusing to stop taking money from my debit card. As a result of this I have cancelled repeat payments from my card. Six days after I did this, the broadband provider once again took money. When I contact RBS to tell them, they told me that only the Vendor can cancel these subscriptions / payments and that I need to sort it out with the vendor. I checked the FSA Regulations and this is just NOT true. I will be closing all of my accounts with this bank which is effectively aiding and abetting illegal activity. Utterly disgusted.

“No response to request for transfer to Step son”

Written on: 02/07/2021 by Nawtee (1 review written)

I’ve been trying for over a year to get money to my step son. 1. Tried to get him loaded as a third signatory. I’m presently residing in South Africa. Eventually after following all instructions, was told no longer possible. 2. Then sent document requesting a transfer of funds to my step son’s account. Letter received by Albyn Road branch in Aberdeen 4 weeks ago. I’ve followed up with emails. Absolutely NO response. Money is needed urgently due to loss of income in SA due to pandemic.

“Fraud team and complaints dept rude and unprofessional ”

Written on: 06/08/2020 by Gisella (1 review written)

I had a terrible, humiliating experience when they blocked a payment without informing me. Then the rude fraud team blocked my whole account because they asked me a security question that THEY did not know the correct answer to! 3.5 hour round trip to nearest branch to unblock account. Of course I complained, of course they lost the recording that backed up my complaint...that seems to be the standard excuse! I'm autistic(asperger's),sickening anxiety during all this and the customer service lady asked me to bring proof of my autism to the branch. That was when I decided to close my accounts and switch to Santander I now earn £17 a month from my account compared to a laughable couple of pounds a year from RBS for my savings. Dont use this bank, read all the bad reviews, go to a real bank with nice staff and a fraud team that doesnt actually make your life difficult.

“Kindness on a bad day”

Written on: 19/02/2020 by SusanPB (1 review written)

I was having a serious senior moment with my digital app. I decided to ring the helpline - the young man who answered was extremely patient ( my senior moment soon became moments) and calm. I’m afraid on the phone my voice cracked with emotion. Soon everything was resolved. I thanked the said young man profusely and he asked whether he could send me some flowers from RBS. They’ve arrived today and are beautiful. A lovely gesture and kindness.

“RBS is by far the worst bank in the UK!! Arrogant staff”

Written on: 15/08/2019 by fcHastings177 (1 review written)

One star is too many. Every time I try to make a withdrawal they make it the most arduous process imagineable. When it doesn't go through, I notice a couple of days later (RBS never notify you) and after being passed from person to person eventually am put through to the fraud team. They then ask me to go into the branch. In the branch they verify my ID, address etc. etc. Then my transaction still doesn't go through. I then ring again. Fraud tell me to go into branch again etc. etc. Most UK banks are rubbish, but RBS is an extremity! If you want to transfer more than £50 then this is not the bank for you as they will make your life a misery constantly having to ring their arrogant and smug jobsworth fraud team and then repeatedly taking in your proof documents to their branches. My husband has the phone RBS app and is continually asked to update his phone number, which hasn’t changed for years. They say “message us” but when you try that they then say log in to digital banking. Useless. This is the way to lose customers but what do they care? If my husband has changed bank and so will I.

“DISGUSTING CUSTOMER SERVICE”

Written on: 23/11/2018 by totall_disgtuntled (1 review written)

AVOID AT ALL COST UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SPOKEN TO LIKE A CHILD AND BELITTLED IN FRONT OF OTHER CUSTOMERS. EVERY EXPERIENCE (WEEKLY) OF VISITING THIS BANK IS A BAD ONE. MAYBE RBS NEED TO CONSIDER SENDING THEIR EMPOLYEES ON A CUSTOMER SERVICE COURSE IN HOW TO DEAL WITH CUSTOMERS WITH BASIC RESPECT. 4 TIMES WE HAVE BEEN TO THIS BANK THE OTHER WEEK FOR CASH DUE TO THEM MESSING US AROUND NOT PUTTING ENOUGH CASH IN, ANALYSING SIGNATURE ON THE CHEQUE GRANTED THATS THEIR JOB BUT NOT WHEN WE HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OUT WEEKLY. THE STAFF SIT IN THEIR CHAIRS AND SHOUT INSTEAD OF JUST PRIVATELY SPEAKING TO YOU. ALL AROUND ITS HORRIBLE AND MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE ITS THEIR ON PERSONAL MONEY YOU ARE WITHDRAWING.

“OK as long as you don't want personal service”

Written on: 24/03/2018 by heidiandiain (4 reviews written)

As my sister's Power of Attorney, I operated her account through the app with no problems. Sadly, she passed away so I began the process of resolving her account. It was impossible to contact her branch. I phoned the "bereavement team" to make an appointment. Not possible. Just go in. But I'd like an appointment - I live 120 miles away and don't want to risk it. Oh. OK. I'll email the branch and get them to phone you. Can't you contact them now? No, we can only use email..... No phone call came. i went in. The staff member was taken aback - we don't deal with bereavement. You have to contact the bereavement team and send everything by post. What??? Well, you can phone them now. What??? Why can't you? I don't have your reference number. What? But you have my account and name, I have ID and the Death certificate.... And so on. No sympathy. No sitting me down to explain the procedure. Eventually another member of staff photocopied my stuff and told me the "bereavement team" would be in contact. Then I went to the Nationwide and TSB.. Both dealt with me with sympathy, sat me down and explained the process. Both filled in all the forms with me. Both took me to the door and shook my hand and gave me their card in case I have any questions. AVOID RBS!!!! You can't contact the branch, can't make an appointment and are treated like a Unit of Income, not a person.

“Not a bank”

Written on: 08/03/2018 by Soto44 (1 review written)

Being of a certain age I like the telephone banking the staff are always polite and accurate unless there new and have been thrown in at the deep end which is what RBS do, the problem is there systems are rubbish and crash constantly so while that happens I have no bank unless I want to drive to the branch paying for parking etc, and let's face it that will close soon, 40 years I've been with this bank, if it wasn't for the fact that all the others are just as bad I would move, truth is there all rubbish.

“What customer service?”

Written on: 13/11/2017 by frMcCormack158 (1 review written)

I have been a customer for over 10 years, with more than 500K going through an online mortgage account without problems. I recently arranged to get some of my money from an affiliated bank, all arranged in advance, with a member of staff from the RBS. I thought.... To cut a long story short, I turned up for an appointment at the said bank and was unable to collect my money. (RBS claimed TSB at fault) After speaking to a manager at the RBS try to sort the problem, I raised an official complaint. I was told this may take upto 4 weeks to investigate and report their findings. This was over 8 weeks ago. After the 4 weeks had passed, I chased up the case having heard NOTHING. Surprise surprise, nothing had been done...... My enquiry resulted in a letter to inform me they were looking at the case, and I should hear something within 4 weeks. Over 8 weeks later, I still haven't been able to withdraw my money from the branch that was agreed in advance. And more to the point, after 8 weeks of RBS customer care, I still haven't been informed why the transaction was unable to be completed.

“Utter disrespect ”

Written on: 01/11/2017 by steveh14 (1 review written)

Loyal customer of 20 years treated with utter disrespect. Chat online and told to come back tomorrow. Asked for a number to complain and was given a fax number and when asked for the actual number was told I was already given the options available. Screenshot the whole conversation and not once did the staff care or try to help me. Seriously can’t believe how little they value their customers

“Card cancelled. On yer bike.”

Written on: 05/09/2017 by McWilliams275 (1 review written)

New card lost in the post. Current card they have cancelled. They have asked an elderly disabled man and his Carer to drive in a currently untaxed car to the next town with ID to get cash. This is unacceptable. Sept 2017

“Archaic”

Written on: 21/04/2017 by Bramhallbean (1 review written)

This bank is still in the dark ages. Their customer service us ridiculous. Every time I deal with them it's like something out of Charles Dickens. One woman at a bank in Bramhall told me "fingers crossed" in respect to getting a new cheque book posted to me! Lol. Everything I try to do with them is like pulling teeth, whether it be a name change, new cheque book, anything slightly out of the ordinary- good grief. Seven business days to clear a cheque? I give up. They told me twice someone from the branch would phone me about a problem I was having. No one ever did! Typical.

“disgusting left with £0 ”

Written on: 04/04/2017 by mb6767 (1 review written)

CURRENT ACCOUNT/SAVINGS i got paid at the end of march and as always move some to my savings account it is now 5 days after my pay day and i have none to very litte money left thanks to them . i had noticed that yesterday there was atleast £500 withdrawn from my account that was not myself as i was working all day . so i panicked as we have a holiday planned for my birthday so i had money for this holiday and irs now gone i called ip customer services and spoke to the "fraud team " where i spoke to 2 different advisors esch conversation lasting less than 2 minutes long i was placed on hold without any knowledge of this and was passed to someone else who told me i was at the wrong department and would transfer me to the correct one where i was on hold for 40 mins and the line hung up . so i called back and got a very helpful man who told me that the transactions i was reffering to he couldnt see ! so i chexked my RBS app to confirm the dates and my account was gone removed wasnt there he then advised it sounds like they have removed your account but he could not understand why i wasnt told or asked if it was ok to be done bearing in mind inwas still not told what time the money was taken out and where he did apologise and advised i make a complaint he then had to pas me bacm to the fraud team ! the women i got through to was beyon rude she questioned me over and over again asking if i was sure i spoke to them inconfirmed i did and basically accused me of letting mt soending get out of control so i just left it at that and hung up all my money that i had left has been removed and account will be closed !!

“rbs or is it natwest or is it williams and glyn ?”

Written on: 20/01/2017 by Abrahami260 (1 review written)

online banking is abroad so get uset to them ringing randomly trying to get infomation or sell u something. the advisors come across more like a hoodie of the street and ask u to geuss why theyve took funds before they return it :/

“Abysmal Customer Service”

Written on: 26/11/2016 by Susan451 (1 review written)

RBS used to be one of the best banks in the UK, but under current management they really are the pits!

Mistakes in account name, an investment branch that totally ignores the concept of customer help, and branches with not enough staff now, make it one of the worst.

A recent policy change reduced human beings serving customers in all branches to a possible maximum of two, replacing the others with a wall full of machines. This has resulted in huge queues to see the few remaining humans.

Last time I was in I waited twenty minutes in a queue to be seen. An official complaint about the level of service brought the response that we, the customers, have to be "educated" to forget using human beings and get used to the machines.

Really?! Whatever happened to "the customer is king", or "we are here to serve the customer". Looks like the customer is there to be "educated" and told what the bank wants her to do. No more! I'm off!

“Students- avoid this bank”

Written on: 26/09/2016 by Jamesstudent (1 review written)

I have never been overdrawn yet they have without any notice suddenly stopped me get access to my student loan. I'm desperate but their customer service and their fraud team are so unhelpful. They are so badly trained and incompetent and just read out a written script. Once I get my money back I'm closing the account. No student should ever go near this bank.

“Disgusted after 30 + this year”

Written on: 23/08/2016 by S.Fergie (1 review written)

Just as we were leaving on a very special 40th Anniversary holiday, we discovered that we had forgotten our insurance policy. I hadn' realised that I had been transferred to a platinum account. Much panic ensued but eventually contacted RBS who sorted things out , gave me a policy number and contact number if there was a problem. This is the service I have always had from this bank. However today I went into my nearest branch and felt a rather unhelpful experience. I nad bee saving up £2 coins and decided to put them into a little account from my new grandaughter as well as asking for a printout of an account I keep for staff Xmas night. On entering the bank, now knowing no familiar faces from the Armadale branch I was met by someone obviously trying to reduce queuing time. Grievences-Can't give printout would have to come back in at least a week for this--not would you like it sent out. Can I open an account for my grandaughter--Not today you will have to make an appointment. Money I had saved the had to be machine counted and eventually put into my Royalties. Tried to make an appointment- nothing for 3 weeks. However the next comment absolutely enraged me. I am a teacher and don't finish until 3.15pm. No appointments after 3.00pm. " However you don't work Fridays how about this." Big misconception!!!! Children go home Friday TEACHERS DON'T. So when do I get to the bank. I AM NOW LOOKING FOR SOMEWHERE MORE ACCOMMODATING FOR HER ACCOUNT.

“Terrible service 16 yr old daughter tried to open an...”

Written on: 06/07/2016 by LeilaniHenderson403 (1 review written)

Terrible service 16 yr old daughter tried to open an account took all the correct Id proof and documents. Was givin the sort code number and then a few days later recieved a pin and bank card and also recived a cancellation acount. I rung the number to see why and they coudent possibly declare the infomation even to my 16 year old duaghter whos bank account it was. Wont be trying again and will take our custome else where. ABSOLUTY DISGRACEFULL how they treat new customers.