Asylum Nvidia GeForce FX5600 256 MB DDR Graphic Card Reviews

4.5
  • Graphics Quality

• Ease of Set Up

Media Gallery for Asylum Nvidia GeForce FX5600 256 MB DDR Graphic Card

“I sell Pc's for a living and we test every kind of...”

written by eainsane on 13/03/2004

I sell Pc's for a living and we test every kind of card there is this card in particuar is a good card but Ati's competitor is better I am neither ATI or NVIDIA fan I do not like politic in my video card I hate that people are either ATI Or Nvidia why not go with the better card not the brand you like ? ATi and nvida are very competitve at this time in the market ATI wins overall We know what were talking about some people in here have said things that are rediculous and just misleading to other people the guy who said he has a pc running at 3.5 ghz and a 250 gb harddrive well if you have that then you would not have a 5600 256 mb card youd know there alot better out there , anyways to the point this card is DAMN god for the money but just insnt over ATI yet and well ATI has been on a constant rise also you can play all games with ATI card since dx9 has been put out

Sl33Pyriceboi's Response to eainsane's Review

Written on: 06/07/2004

Yes eainsane, I totally agree with you on the ATI Or Nvidia subject. I too have built computers for years now and am well informed about it. I think that you have made a great review and deserve many positive ratings. Who ever gave you that negative rating is a muppet and doesn't know jack dilly about video cards. I too had this video card. But it's on my old computer now. I'm currently running on a ATI 9800xt and it's very satisfying. But there's one thing I don't understand from your review, why would you not recomend this video card?
<br> I think for the little above average gamer, this card would do fine. But if you are an extream gamer, then yes, this isn't the card that you need. I have tried the 5600 in my 3.2ghz mobo and it works very nicely. But it's rubbish compared to my 9800xt! =P

Sl33Pyriceboi's Response to eainsane's Review

Written on: 21/04/2005

Wow, you still have that voodoo3? Ha ha how awesome.
<br>
<br>But yeah, the FX series was a big mistake from Nvidia. It had a lot of problems that is why Nvidia had to re-design their whole engine for their newer videocards such as the 6800 and 6600 series. However, if u look at ATI, they did not really change their engine, but just made it better.
<br>
<br>Most peole get the wrong impression that the x850xt is the best single card. Its not, its actually the X800XT PE. The X800XTPE has much higher clock rates and is slightly faster. however, it is way to hard for ATI to make the XTPE to be selling it and make profit. They just can't make enough.
<br>
<br>But back to the subject, the FX5600 are good cards. They are MORE than enough for everyday use.
<br>^^James.

Skulz's Response to eainsane's Review

Written on: 14/04/2005

:: I have two PC's that are almost alike. I am not a gamer, but I have this PC with the AGP NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256mb ddr and the twin PC has an AGP Diamond Stealth S110 256mb ddr graphics card. I find both run well for the use I need. I run Photoshop and edit video. I upgraded from my old 3DFX Voodoo 3, yes, I still have two Voodoo 3's running till last year when I built this system with the AGP NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256mb ddr card.
<br>
<br>I got into the game Postal 2 and well the Voodoo 3 just wouldn't cut it as it is an old, out of date card. Of the 5 PC's I have, two have the AGP NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256mb ddr card and do OK with everything I run. I have two monitors on this PC and the card does well with that. I just added the AGP Diamond Stealth S110 256mb ddr graphics card and have yet to tax it, but while running a game on my LAN with friends in Postal 2 I didn’t see any problems. I have to try adding another monitor, but the past year with the AGP NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 256mb ddr card has been a nice up from the old Voodoo 3.
<br>> Note, the Voodoo 3 is still in use, it just got put in another PC I have. So I still run both of the 3DFX Voodoo 3 cards I have and both work just fine after the years for Photoshop and other. [Skulz]

Eainsane's Response to eainsane's Review

Written on: 06/07/2004

Well I'm sorry I didn't realize I put that I would recommend this card for those who want to play games at decent frame rates and enjoy some of the older title games next generation games like Doom 3, Half Life 2 may have some serious trouble with this card in frame rates and graphic quality the best cards for those games would be a FX 5950 256 MB a ATI 9800XT 256 or the X800 PRO or XT or the FX6800 anything lower may or may not play those games well at high quality settings.

“The games on the Asylum AGP Nvidia GeForce FX 5600...”

written by barto on 01/03/2004

The games on the Asylum AGP Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 256mb ddr Graphics Cards run nice and smooth and they have what it takes to make you feel like you are on the batlle field. My halo game runs very well on that card but if i had some more extra cash i whould go with nVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra but for its price asylum GeForce fx 5600 is a good card to get. ATI SUCKS.

“I know that I had a first review about the Asylum...”

written by CCMagazine on 16/01/2004

I know that I had a first review about the Asylum GeForce FX 5600, but that was really what I saw in my gameplay this review is after what I looked up on the internet and compared. All and All it isnt that great of a card, but it isnt terrible. It is the first widely sold 256mb card. Now that the price has fallen on it is farely good for the price. The GeForce FX has a transfer rate of 81 million vertices/sec. You might think thats alot, but what you think doesnt matter because you probably dont know much about computers. See the new BFG tech. card the Asylum GeForce FX 5900 Ulta has a transfer rate of 338 million vertices/sec. But I also want to compare it to a 128mb card, The Gefore FX 5600 Ultra which is 128mb runs at 100 vertices/sec. But you have to remember that The GeForce FX 5600 came out before these and was one of the first 256 mb cards, when playing games it isnt that bad, but in the future you might be having to buy a new graphics card sooner than other people.

“Pound for pound, i would agree that ati do win. ...”

written by blade2002uk on 22/11/2003

Pound for pound, i would agree that ati do win. However I have not had a game hang, crash or even slow down with this card. The Asylum AGP Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 256mb ddr graphics card is an all round performer and just keeps on suprising me with its capabilities. I think that anyone who thinks ati are better should realise that Nvidia have been making top of the range cards for years and have always been head of the market. Just because ati are getting there, does not mean that they are up to Nvidia's overall quality. End of arguament.

“I recently bought this graphics card, and wow so...”

written by CCMagazine on 15/10/2003

I recently bought this graphics card, and wow so splendid. I found it cheaper than I thought it would be for a 256mb graphics card. The gameplay on with the card is smooth without one bump or lag, or the computer freezing. The graphics are just ---- I dont even have a word to explain it, maybe BRILLIANT, AMAZING, GREAT, KICK A-(ill let you finish it). I think they blew ATI out of the water. I'm a Nvidia-kind of man. I always will be. If you need a new graphics card, go out, go online, go anywhere, just get this card

“The Asylum AGP Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 256mb ddr has...”

written by demise on 07/10/2003

The Asylum AGP Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 256mb ddr has low fps but it does stay pinned at any resolution although matrix 1024 x 768 laged bad i may still need to improve the settings counter strike half life day of defeat 1942 battle field pinned and lovin it raven shield unbelievable thanks ati bokbok demise

“you are SILLY if you like the ATI cards. Number one:...”

written by baddd on 03/10/2003

you are SILLY if you like the ATI cards. Number one: their drivers are made from the lowest grade chip boards in the world. I mean come on, if you compare price with the nvidid cards, you'll see that they are less expensive, meaning they are rubbish. My philosophy is that the more you pay, the better the buy, but this is not necessairly true with ALL hardware. For this one, it is, for sure. I bought it and it plays so much better than that sorry excuse for a video card. Number Two: you can not play ALL GAMES WITH THE RADEON DRIVERS, why you ask, because most companies within the software engineering world are either being bought out by nvidia or do not like the way the radeon has to transfer the frame rates within the games themselves. Aside from semi-choppy graphics and in-game stoppages and shortages the Radeon is a good card, but from my experience, it isnt worth the money they spent making it. and for ANYONES information, my comp runs at 3.5GHz with 2.5GB RAM and 250GB HDD.
so i know what im talking about when it comes to gaming and computers.

Anzak's Response to baddd's Review

Written on: 23/01/2004

Woah, you do know your stuff. Ok first off drivers are a piece of "software" that runs the "hardware" not the PCB board. As far as drivers go ATI has much better drivers with the Catalyst 4.1's that I just downloaded. Remember just because you pay more that does not mean that the card performs better than it's competitors card, Half Life 2 for example will run much faster in Direct-X 9 mode due to Nvidia's rubbish performance. In this carse a Radeon 9600 pro (~$150) out performs a Geforce FX 5900 ultra (~$300). Im an ATI fan but I don't hate Nvidia. I also believe that the FX has better T&L engine. Since Im stuck without an AGP slot im gonna buy a FX 5600. Im sorry for being so cruel before but dont go off bragging about something you don't understand...
<br>-Daniel

“first i had a radeon 9500 128mb non pro, but i had a...”

written by killdiseaze on 29/08/2003

first i had a radeon 9500 128mb non pro, but i had a lot of trouble with the drivers, i know that this card (gf fx 5600 256mb) is a bit slower, but its more stable than the radeon. soldier of fortune 2 doesn't work with sof2, even with the lastest patch. and a lot of missing textures with a lot of games (gta vice city, gta 3, SOF2!!! etc.)

“I used 2 own a 9500 Pro peice of crud 2 find ”

written by ozzy666 on 08/08/2003

I used 2 own a 9500 Pro peice of crud 2 find
yeah it had a mad frame rate to it but coming
to the texture side of things it was the pits
if i was to buy a nother ati card the most i would pay would be $10 Go the Asylum AGP Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 256mb ddr!

“Okay, ”

written by JP. on 01/06/2003

Okay,

I have the Asylum Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 with 256mb DDR ram.

Holy cow, this thing is the most incredible video card I have ever seen. There is not an AGP card on the market that is better. Play Delta Force Black Hawk Down with it and the terrain and detail are incredible and that game takes a MONSTER video card to run despite what the box says. Spend the money, get this card, it totally ROCKS. Frame rate is incredible, NO LAG on online games (Lag is not all from connection speed)

Nvidia destroys ATI radeon, do not even think about buying anything but NVIDIA and only BFG tech ASYLUM.

108600_Greg.'s Response to 103000_JP.'s Review

Written on: 18/06/2003

Nice review, BUT..256 meg maketh a great video card not!. I am sure this is a good card, this would be beaten by a Radeon 9700 non pro, let alone a pro model. Games like UT 2003 would love this card as memory is king for the new UT engine.
<br>
<br>As for your Black Hawk down claim, I have seen this game run smoothly at 1024x768 good detail on an Athlon 1.2, 256 meg of ram and a 64 meg Geforce 4 MX!. Yes it is good, but the fact is an ATI radeon 9500 (non pro) 128 meg which can be soft modded to a 9700 pro will bench better, or save a few quid and buy a 128 meg 9500 PRO - surprise surprise it beats the ultra again!!. To quote Thomas Dolby..."Close but no cigar".

Julton's Response to 103000_JP.'s Review

Written on: 22/01/2004

I have a Pentium 2.4Ghz with 512 DDR ram bla bla bla AND! GeForce FX 5600 256 DDR ram...but I dont think it's so great. I play mostly games and I've played Knights of the old republic and Deus eX 2 both laggy as hell. I think I have the newest driver, but why does it not work so good? Can anyone help me?

Ccmagazine's Response to 103000_JP.'s Review

Written on: 15/10/2003

Competetive Computers Magazine

Bravesniper's Response to 103000_JP.'s Review

Written on: 29/09/2003

I also had a Geforce 3 ti200 128 ddr ram and it was good...but got fried for no reason. I just recently bought a asylum card wit 256 DDR Ram....I haven't installed it yet cause im waiting for a new board, but when i do i believe that it will be better than any ati....nvidia always is... I can't wait till I get my new stuff to install it :)

Adomtatom's Response to 103000_JP.'s Review

Written on: 08/08/2003

Nvidia, ATI, they are all good, sometimes one is better, other times the other one is, myslef, i stick with nvidia. right now i own a 5600 fx 256mb with capture capabilities and it is awsome compared to my previous geforce 3 ti 200. so they out perform each other in some ways oh well i think nvidia has better quality and stabality. so i choose to stick with one, Nvidia.

121381_Geforce Lover.'s Response to 103000_JP.'s Review

Written on: 03/08/2003

I am in total agreement about GeForce and NVidia! Way, way better than ATI!! Go BFG ASYLUM Geforce FX 5600!!!

121199_Barbaricworm.'s Response to 103000_JP.'s Review

Written on: 03/08/2003

here we go again nvidia vs ati my opinion on its that from the ati 9500 rads to 9800pro rads the cards are quite good and from the ti4200 to the geforce fxs except the 5200fx.They are also good i myself have a fx5900 ultra in the past i have had loads of cards starting from the 4meg voodoo which needed a seperate 2d card.today its all benchmarks which realy mean nothing because my fx beats the pants off my old ti4600 in 3d mark ect but in the real world (playing games)you dont se much differance as for 9800pro beating 5900ultra games of today yes games of tomorrow (doom3) not a chance.

Adski.'s Response to 103000_JP.'s Review

Written on: 03/08/2003

Right then Nvidia it is then : )

117440_Greg.'s Response to 103000_JP.'s Review

Written on: 21/07/2003

ATI do not suck, I think they offer better performance pound for pound than the NVIDIA cards. Just look at the price of a Radeon 9700 PRO and the price of an FX 5800, Radeon wins hands down. The driver issue is one that caused an problem with the older 8500 Radeon cards, but I have never had an issue for 12 months or so with ATI drivers. The new Radeon 9800 PRO is a better bet than the FX 5900 ULTRA, and surprise surprise the price is more wallet friendly too. Picture quality is superior on ATI cards, stuff NVIDIA and their grossly over inflated prices - ATI are the better deal all round.

117274_Arachnode.'s Response to 103000_JP.'s Review

Written on: 20/07/2003

here here, ati has some great hardware I hear... but I've never really seen any ati card that actually works properly in all applications. I work with 3d apps a lot, 3dstudio max, maya, etc... and ati is worthless with those. I had a voodoo3 card that worked better than any ati you could throw at them. Ati is trash, they're good for video input that's about it. Ati has shading errors, crashes, has incompatabilities up the wazoo... after all these years you'd think they'd get their act together, but they just suck.

111265_Cam714.'s Response to 103000_JP.'s Review

Written on: 28/06/2003

I replaced my Radeon 9700 with this card today...
<br>Maybe the Radeon 9700 performs better...but the thing never works right. ATI's drivers are pathetic. All of the problems I had getting games to work disappeared when I switched to the Geforce FX card. ATI is a joke.