John Lewis

• Quality of service

• Layout of shop

Summary

John Lewis is now one of the largest Department Stores, We have many John Lewis reviews. So why not write your John Lewis Review on John Lewis Online or John Lewis UK, it could be about anything, from the John Lewis Gift List to John Lewis Flowers. Tell others now about your experience with the John Lewis department store.
John Lewis - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for John Lewis

John Lewis

“Abysmal Call centre”

Written on: 25/07/2020 by MikeH71 (1 review written)

I have been trying to purchase an item from my local store. Unfortunately I am unable to attend in person so tried to contact them via published contact number. Ended up, after a 15 minute wait, talking to an off shore call centre. Eventually got across what I wanted after speaking to two different operators! They said they would email the local store with the information. I had to go out for a medical appointment, when I returned, there was a voice mail from my local store with a contact number and extention. Could I ring that number, not a hope in h**ll always to the offshore centre. Now into 25th minute listening to that awful music and still no closer to getting an answer. Soon John Lewis is going to lose a £300 order as I look elsewhere. Please John Lewis, if the local branch provides a customer with a contact number, let there be a way of ringing it?

“Going Down”

Written on: 07/01/2020 by BrycenAnderson (1 review written)

Sadly this great company is following Debenhams and do not even answer the phone if you have a problem. I will miss you J L.

“Abysmal Customer Service”

Written on: 23/11/2019 by stumack404 (1 review written)

Abysmal Customer Service - Selling Products not fit for purpose. The following e mail sent to John Lewis explains all and yes, they are refusing to give me my money back. Do not deal with this company. you only find out what organisations are like when there is an issue. You have been warned. I purchased the Hoover DXC9TCEB/80 from John Lewis. At the point of purchase I paid £299 plus delivery & installation. The Hoover DXC9TCEB/80 is unfit for purpose. The tumble Dryer was delivered on Thursday 14th Nov 2019. The packaging was removed and disposed of by the John Lewis delivery team The old dryer was removed and the new dryer was positioned by them. The dryer was first operated the next day and found to be faulty. When the dryer operates, a loud repetitive thud noise comes from the drum area. This noise happens with a full, part or empty load. Also, when the drum is moved around manually, the same noise is heard. Almost, assuredly a faulty bearing. This fault has been relayed today to John Lewis customer services via telephone, with the first person spoken to being very helpful. At this stage I was happy to accept a replacement dryer of the same make and model, or similar to get things resolved as quickly as possible. However, following the abysmal experience I received with one of the engineers in the technical support department. I decided to ask for a refund. Unfortunately, the engineer was far from helpful and extremely argumentative. The exact opposite of what you would expect from a customer services experience - particularly from a supposedly reputable company such as yourselves.. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 makes it an implied term of the contract I have with John Lewis that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. As you are in breach of contract and I've owned the product for less than 30 days I am within my statutory rights to ask for a full refund of the original cost paid. AS YET NO REFUND OR CONTACT FROM JOHN LEWIS. MY NEXT STEP WILL BE TRADING STANDARD AND THEN TO THE SMALL CLAIMS COURT.

“What a shame now no old fashion values!”

Written on: 17/09/2019 by anMcCarthy494 (1 review written)

What happened to JLP old fashion values?? They appear to have forgot this is what made them! Today we travelled up from Cornwall to Exeter store total waste of time! Went to the Bed department was ignored by three staff for fifteen minutes till a manager passed by and asked one of them to help us. So this “thirty something” in shorts and a T shirt then completely dismissed what we asked and continued to talk over us. Given this could have been his easiest sale, he then tried to treat us like idiots on further simple questions. Eventually I got a “word in” to ask a delivery time to be told six to eight weeks on a bed against two competitors who offered us two weeks for the same bed! When we questioned this he just walked away!? As past a JLP partner and supplier for nineteen and twelve years respectively, what a sham and a shame they lost a sale for £1600! Is it the new Tesco management or just arrogance and bad training? No wonder profits are down! Went to Benson for Beds and got excellent service two week delivery and a better price ( than with partner discount 25%)! Something we NEVER thought we would say! Lost our business now and for ever, remember JLP one bad review or experience is worth a hundred in negative PR!

“The worst service ever from John Lewis”

Written on: 24/05/2019 by EveMendoza (1 review written)

The worst service ever from John Lewis The worst service ever from John Lewis, I bought a camera online had it delivered to Waitrose in Surbiton, returned it the next day unopened to Waitrose in Surbiton, as I decided on a different brand. I have waited 14 days for the refund, called them from abroad as I am travelling to see where the refund is and they told me they do not know where my returned item is and that I have wait 3-5 more days for an internal investigation and they refuse to refund my money. I have an email confirming that I returned the camera through Waitrose giving ref numbers etc. Customer service said they would come back to me today, needless to say it's close of business and not word from them!!!! Unbelievable appalling service!!! I am still waiting several days after my complaint and NO REFUND!!! It has been 3 weeks since I returned the camera! APPALLING SERVICE. I am suffering for their internal error!

“Free phone number for After Sales problems”

Written on: 24/02/2019 by AnnieHughes297 (1 review written)

John Lewis, you need a Free phone for After sales problems. It has cost me nearly £10 in phone call charges, and a lot of hassle, to get a replacement for an item worth not much more which was covered by your guarantee.

“Replacement faulty tv”

Written on: 13/12/2018 by PeterTKent (1 review written)

I spent £3,500 on an old TV and wall mount. The TV developed a problem after 2 weeks. I had a nightmare in getting them to sort it out. They had no record of the sale, after showing my receipt they acknowledged my purchase, then proceeded to put every obstickle they could in the way of replacing the TV. I almost lost the will to live over the problems they caused me and time I spent sorting the problem. To say their customer service was bad is an under statement. All the worst trait are practiced there, not returning emails and phone calls, making false promises etc. etc.. I made each person I spoke to put the call details on their system using a reference they gave me. Then on the next call I was told the reference number was not found. In short, don't buy there unless you want an unbelievably bad experience! The only good thing to say is their delivery drivers are brilliant.

“Expensive home insurance company”

Written on: 30/09/2018 by Stephenliveley (1 review written)

We have been with John Lewis for years with home insurance and contents .never had a claim . This year they have put up our insurance by £50 ,there reason we only have one bathroom in the house even thou we have another closet with toilet and sink . What this has to do with a price increase I fail to see. Once again loyalty means nothing to them and they treat there customers with utter contempt. We have since been on compare the market and found they are close on the highest prices by miles for 5 star companies. We have saved hundreds from another 5 star company . Well John Lewis you have lost us for good and I hope this review leads to others checking prices with other insurance companies and leaving you . You know the way house of fraiser went ,you could well be heading the same way when you treat customers like this.

“Dreadful customer service once they have your money”

Written on: 24/08/2018 by 12661 (1 review written)

Great when they take your money in the shops and on-line, but the moment you have a problem, they simply don’t care. Bought a brand new Miele Fridge Freezer for £770.00, paid extra for next day delivery, took a half day’s unpaid leave to wait for the delivery, the unit arrived, was told not to switch it on for 6 hours so was not able to check the unit was OK before the delivery driver left. The unit simply did not work from day one, the digital just went blank and it never cooled either the fridge or freezer. Reported the fault the next morning and was told by their technical services department that they would not be able to help until I gave them the serial number. Explained I was at work and they said without that they could do nothing to help, asked to speak to the manager and it was the same story. I left work finally found the serial number (not on the door, or on the back wall of the freezer section but on the wall of the fridge underneath the cold draw)- how would they have expected an elderly person to jump through all these hoops I don’t know! They told me that I would have to wait another 6 days before they could deliver a replacement and pick up the faulty unit - I explained that to expect me to wait another 6 days for an essential item such as a Fridge Freezer was unacceptable and they basically said tough thats all they could do or I could cancel the order. I cancelled the order, was told I would have to wait 5 to 7 days after they had collected the faulty unit to get my money back - strange as they took it out within hours of me buying the fridge freezer! This means I would have to wait nearly 2 weeks to get money back in my account, crazy! Incidentally , I called John Lewis Ipswich and surprise surprise, if I bought a new one that could be done on next day delivery! I subsequently bought a replacement from another high street retailer, not only were they cheaper but gave me a one hour delivery slot the night before and were able to deliver on within 3 days Lesson learnt, John Lewis are inflexible when it comes to helping their customers and have a very poor attitude to helping customers after sales. I would usually spend around £2500 each year with them, however going forwards I will never shop with them again or recommend them to anyone. Customer service is all about going outside of normal terms of business to resolve problems, its what the retailer does when there is a problem that defines how good they are.

“Not an on-line store - let you down.”

Written on: 20/03/2018 by mrregars (1 review written)

Terrible communication. Awful Delivery. Don't offer compensation they agreed in writing. These guys are not a good online retailer. I bought a phone on-line from John Lewis (or actually a "trusted partner") using gift vouchers. After 7 days with no delivery I called them up only to be told that it wasn't in stock and there would be a delay and I was given a new delivery date and given £25 to say sorry. After waiting for that delivery date I called in again only to be told that there was a further delay and given a new delivery date that was now 1 MONTH after purchase. The email follow up confirmed that once delivered John Lewis would offer me gesture to make up for the poor service. After the phone was finally delivered I heard nothing about this gesture and called in - only to be told that the original £25 was enough! I only called them about this as they had told me I'd be offered something! What a waste of time and REALLY annoying!

“Repeated terrible experiences when buying large items...”

Written on: 02/01/2018

I ordered a SMEG cooker from John Lewis, it took them a month to deliver it and when it finally came it was completely damaged. They left a half opened oven in the middle of my kitchen for another 3 weeks!! I ordered a fridge online which I needed urgently and a week after I'd ordered it they contacted me to say that despite advertising the fridge on their website and letting me pay for it, they were unable to supply it! Foolishly I ordered a sofa from John Lewis and it look 3 months for them to deliver it and when it finally came they had attached the wrong colour legs - it's been 3 weeks and they still haven't sent me the new legs (which I will have to fit myself) Every time I've called I've waited minimum 30 minutes to get through to anyone. Truly, truly terrible customer service - slow, sloppy and useless staff on the whole. I would give them zero stars if that was possible on this website. I used to be a huge fan of John Lewis and thought that by going for them, although I'd have to pay more than if I'd shopped around, I would get a quality product and great customer service. This was totally not the case and I would encourage everyone to shop elsewhere - certainly for large household items. They are incapable of effectively supplying customers with products. I would never order again from them.

“Horrendous customer service”

Written on: 23/12/2017 by Batchelor378 (1 review written)

Placed an order for Christmas presents on 15th December, stupidly thinking that this would give John Lewis plenty of time to deliver for the big day. Received notification that Hermes was the courier. No delivery was made within the requisite 5 working days, so I chased John Lewis. They were informed that the delivery had been lost, and that a case had been launched. I was assured that someone would call me back within two hours. After two and a half hours, I called them, had to wait for half an hour until someone was available due to "high volumes of calls" (come on JL - it's Christmas, you should expect this). Eventually I get through to someone, who then puts me on hold for another ten minutes while they go and investigate. He comes back saying that he has spoken to Hermes who had launched a case and that someone would call me within the next 24 hours! Not much use as we leave for Christmas in the morning. Unhelpful, unprofessional, unsympathetic, absolutely clueless. I would expect more from an organisation such as John Lewis, which prides itself on its so called customer service. If they can't trust the courier service that they contract with, either change the courier, or employ more people in your customer services department to deal with disgruntled customers. It's not rocket science John Lewis.

“E-Gift Card”

Written on: 12/12/2017 by Crimea23 (1 review written)

My mother in law bought a John Lewis e-gift card for me for my birthday but included a typo in my e-mail address by mistake so that I didn't receive it. I e-mailed John Lewis, and the Customer Service team replied extremely promptly and sorted out the mistake. I received my e-gift card the same day by e-mail. I was impressed by this service and am now looking forward to spending my voucher!

“Poor Customer Service and Overpriced.”

Written on: 07/12/2017 by modo2 (3 reviews written)

I went to Bluewater store to purchase a small Pure DAB radio. Were unable to listen to any of the radios on display as the stands were without power. The staff didn't have any decent knowledge of what was on sale. We moved a Siesta radio to another area to power it up but it was unable to pick up a DAB signal. I was told that wifi reception in the department was terrible... maybe thats why the stands weren't provided with power? I purchased one, based on reviews, with a card. I set it up at home but after a few days decided to take it back for a refund as the sound quality wasn't very good. The receipt had been lost so I rang customer services to check that the Oxford Street store could provide a refund. Also I wanted to be able to check out what was available on a display with power. I was told the Oxford Street store could look at the Bluewater transactions and provide a refund onto the same card. Oxford Street store refused a refund and offered a credit note. I challenged this based on my customer services conversation and was told they would have to ring Bluewater store...so I asked them to go ahead. They then told me they couldn't do this due to confidentiality issues. I asked what the specific issues were at which point the customer services agent disappeared onto the shop floor. He returned with a manager who repeated the confidentiality mantra. I again asked for the specific issues to be told it was financial and they couldn't discuss my bank details over the phone. Why they would need to do this, rather than simply confirm the transaction detail is a mystery to me. (Whats that smell?) I authorised them to discuss the details and offered my bank details to them. They then both disappeared back onto the shop floor, presumably to discuss it with a senior manager, only to return and refund my card without contacting Bluewater store. This had wasted an hour of my time. I then went back to the shop floor to discover on display the radio model, a Pure Evoke H2, I had always wanted to look at but had been told by customer services that they didn't sell. Once again the staff didn't have a clue about the radios on display. I had a listen to it and checked one or two functions I was particularly interested in and was pleased with the result. It was priced at £99. Having just had the fight for a refund I couldn't face another one over price promises so I left the store and purchased the radio for £65 from Velocity. It was extremely disappointing and why would you bother again? This is the second experience like this I've had at Oxford Street store. The last one was over screen damage to my partners iPad where I had to get a letter from the Apple store in Regent Street before they would fulfil the John Lewis promise. That took three hours of my time and a lot of aggro.

“Gift Card Sorted!”

Written on: 21/11/2017 by JohnH64 (1 review written)

I had trouble with an e-card gift voucher as I mistakenly sent it to the wrong email address. I phoned the gift card line and spoke to a very knowledgeable and helpful John Lewis Customer Solutions Advisor who was able to amend the details and have the gift voucher re-sent to the correct address within minutes. The whole process was easy. An excellent customer service experience.

“Gift voucher sorted”

Written on: 16/11/2017

A hard copy gift voucher for lost in the post. I called John Lewis (call was answered quickly) spoke to an intelligent and helpful human and got it sorted out. Everybody happy. I even got a follow up email form the JL employee that did not appear to be a template email. I feel good. So not impersonal.

“Awful customer service ”

Written on: 07/11/2017 by Tommyhlfc (2 reviews written)

Recently bought an indesit tumble dryer in the Liverpool one store. Staff their were excellent and I had no issues........ The item I wanted was out of stock but they had one that had been refused by a customer as they had cancelled their order, this was discounted by the store assistant. The initial communication was good and a delivery time frame was given. When the product arrived it was unpacked by a very helpful delivery driver who took the packaging away. When switched on the dryer made one almighty racket and a burning smell. The next day I phoned up and told them the issue, they said we will arrange for an indesit engineer to visit to rectify the issue, I refused stating these were apparently new white goods and no way was an engineer to visit. After a number of prolonged calls I refused the engineer and cited in the first 30 days my consumer rights to reject. Only after me telling them I was taking it to the store personally a manager authorised a replacement. We were given a time frame again for delivery, an indesit engineer turned up to take the tumble dryer away, of which John Lewis claimed they knew nothing about this pickup. No replacement dryer was brought, even though they said it was 100%. Again I phoned and was given an excuse that indesit were delivering to John Lewis and then on to us. No delivery has been made, the promised telephone call on Monday never came. I have phoned tonight to be told I can’t access your details as I work on the internet side even though 3 times I have spoken to somebody via this number. It is quite clear they are working with indesit to bring back the original product. I have the serial number and should it be delivered back I am getting trading standards involved as the good we’re not fit for sale. Awful first time customer experience.

“Named Day order didn't arrive”

Written on: 15/10/2017 by thepennydrops (3 reviews written)

I ordered a birthday present for my friend, to be delivered directly to her on her birthday. I paid the extra £6.95 to have named day delivery. I got a confirmation email from John Lewis. I got a confirmation email from PayPal. The present didn't arrive. I contacted John Lewis by email, they promised to get back within 24 hours, but as they didn't get back, I rang instead. The girl I spoke to sounded half asleep, and took ages to tell me that my order hadn't been processed. I asked why, and she took several more minutes to tell me that it was due to a problem with my PayPal account. I instantly brought up an email from PayPal to me, FOUR DAYS AGO, confirming that my purchase from John Lewis had gone through. The girl kept telling me it was a PayPal problem and frankly sounded like she absolutely didn't care. I asked to speak to a manager, and was kept on hold for nearly 10 minutes before a SUPERVISOR took my call. Again she tried to tell me that it was a PayPal error, that my card wasn't accepted. I insisted there was no problem, I'd had instant confirmation from PayPal that the transaction had gone through, not only that but I'd used PayPal again yesterday, to order again from John Lewis, and the order had gone straight through, and I've had a message to tell me the second order will be delivered tomorrow. All the supervisor could offer me was 'sorry' but honestly she didn't sound like she cared, and just kept saying 'well, we can deliver it tomorrow.' I told her I was very unhappy that my friend hadn't received her present on time. The supervisor told me if I felt that strongly, I could write a formal complaint to the head of Customer Services. What was her name? Same girl who'd taken my call initially. If you're thinking of using John Lewis for Christmas presents, my advice is DON'T!

[email protected]@KS”

Written on: 11/10/2017 by Farginsneekyicehole (15 reviews written)

Bought a mobile phone from this company last month with a 2 year guarantee. Broke down after 1 month spoke to someone on the phone about it. So what happened miss ******* for the phone to break down? I dont no it just wouldn't start up this morning. Sorry the guarantee is void because it less than one month old!!!!!!!. WHAT is that all about £300 down the drain. TRADING STANDARDS NEXT STOP.

“Fantastic company!”

Written on: 15/08/2017 by Coltona479 (1 review written)

All use John Lewis! What a great company to shop at, they get just what you want ASAP. Will use again.

Orlanda's Comment

Written on: 15/06/2019

Either we have been to different John lewis shops spelt differently, or they are getting their relations to give them good reviews. These need to be verified. Neither myself or friends have ever had good service from any John Lewis store, iin any floor.

Read 1 Comment