Butlins, Bognor Regis Reviews

• Facilities

• Proximity to local amenities

• Proximity to local attractions

Butlins, Bognor Regis - Ask a question now

“Dangerous and Dated Accommodation”

written by JayPT on 09/05/2022

First time staying at Bognor Regis for an easter weekend and cost was £525 for a Silver Room (1 Double and 2 singles), even though the entertainment was enjoyable and the area is lovely its let down by the accommodation at Oyster Bay as it's not fit to be inhabited. Staying in Silver Accommodation you will find it dated and slightly dirty and see random pieces of metal screwed into walls with broken doors and locks, you'll also experience and issue with all night it will seem like daylight due to the lighting outside. The major issue which has caused my complaint is it's Dangerous, I never thought I would be writing a bad review about Butlins and comparing it to some other badly run holiday camps. There were hard pieces of plastic sticking out of the bedside cabinets next to peoples heads especially my 4 year old's, when my wife went to pick something up off the floor the back of her hand hit it and scratched and broke the skin causing a minor bleed and that them made us leave the resort early. Butlins has made it difficult to contact and your pretty much forced to contact when you get home. Then your told "Our team work by a 'solve on site' policy and if they are made aware of any concerns they will always do their best to resolve these." Hard when its made as difficult as possible to contact on site. Think before you book and if you have issues keep on at them to fix them, don't accept mediocre accommodation. They won't want to know after you got home, I'm currently looking at doing a Small Claim against the company.

“Avoid at all costs”

written by on 28/02/2022

The room we were given was disgusting. It was extremely dirty, mouldy, rusty and fitted fixings were wobbly and very unsafe. I complained at the time; however the room was not cleaned again, they just wiped the floor. The shower had to be replaced and the hot water in the sink was too hot it was not safe to use. There was dust everywhere and food packets left in the room. The heaters were burnt so were too hot to touch. The bed was very old, dirty and no springs left in it. We ended up staying one night out of three and was very expensive for what it was. Lack of activities as the outside rides were closed so there was very little to do. We will not be returning. Lack of empathy and customer service was non existent.

“Brilliant holiday resort! ”

written by Kendall247 on 21/04/2018

We stayed in a standard apartment in oyster bay. The room itself was great, modern, clean, and had everything we needed in it. Room 1- double bed, wardrobe kitchen, table and chairs. Kitchen consists of oven, fridge, cutlery and all cooking essentials. Please note there is no microwave, so microwaveable food/meals cannot be made in the apartment. There is also a ironing board and a iron. Room 2- bathroom. Bath/shower unit, toilet, sink and a clothes dryer. There is a big ledge and mirror that can be used to stand toiletries. Room 3- twin bedroom. Two single beds, bedside unit and a twin wardrobe with shelving unit. Essentials I would suggest bringing for your standard apartment- Towels & hand towel Antibacterial hand soap Kitchen towels Tea towel Washing up liquid Antibacterial wipes/spray Washing up sponge Spare bin bags Scissors (never knew how often you become unstuck without a pair of scissors!) here is LOADS to do at Butlins, honestly we did not get round to doing everything in four days. There is a big fairground which has loads of rides, but our 3 year old is 1 meter and our 2 year old is under 0.9 meters so she was too small to go on anything but the merry go round, there isn’t much else there for a child under 0.9 meters to do. Although there is a tots fairground located inside the skyline pavilion which toddlers can go on which they had great fun on. We didn’t pay for any rides etc, the only cost was the fairground ‘games’ ie hook a duck. Shows are all throughout the day and consist of puppet shows, Billie and Bonnie shows and character shows. Our kids LOVED Billie Bonnie and Billie and Bonnies rise and shine show is great for the morning when Mum and Dad want to chill and have a coffee and the kids can dance about and burn off the morning excitement! While we were there ‘Cinderella Rocks’ was the panto. I must admit it was bloody FANTASTIC! Me and my partner were in fits of laughter! This panto I would actually pay to go and watch as an family activity. A must see if it is on during anyone’s stay! Inside the pavilion there is a soft play area which is split into two sections for smaller kids and older kids. This is patrolled by staff so it means that kids stick to the right section which is great for both age groups to ensure nobody gets hurt! Splashworld was great with slides and lots of fun to have in the water. If you forget any swim essentials there is a shop there too where you can pick up armband etc! Our kids loved the wave machine in the pool (maybe us adults did too!!) The staff were ALL brilliant. The redcoats well and truly live up to their reputation and everyone was lovely and welcoming. The girls in the fairy makeover shop gave my three year old a fairy makeover and we had a great laugh with the ladies working in the shop! The men in the hire shop were also brilliant and lovely, we donated our pram at the end as we didn’t have enough space in the car to repack it and didn’t mind giving it up as it was just a cheap one we had brought for the holiday (we may have brought too much billie Bonnie merch) and they were very thankful! The only downside is one which my partner would like me to add which is baby changing facilities for men’s access! The staff have said it’s fine for him to go through the ladies buildings when it’s a disabled/separate baby change room from the ladies toilets and if this is the case maybe a sign on the gents toilets saying so would be nice, as daddy’s change nappies too (sometimes....haha)!!

“After Christmas break”

written by Ronany63 on 07/01/2018

We went on 27th Dec 3 nights there was 4 adults and 7 kids from 4-18 we stayed in silver accommodation which was dreadful really was tired looking dirty curtains and carpets very tired. Work tops in kitchen were damaged etc but made the best of it. We have been to this resort before also Minehead this is the best one we upgraded on food ate in the Yacht club the food was excellent as she couldn’t do enough for everyone- big thank you to her. The panto was fab, the whole place was Christmassy and the restaurant was decorated lovel. Plenty for the kids to do whatever their age. Had a fab time. Not sure if we will go again though cost a lot of money for just 3 nights the accommodation is a discrace, I like basic comfort this wasn’t.

“DO NOT STAY HERE! ”

written by warmelephant on 12/01/2016

I am extremely disappointed with our recent stay at the Ocean Hotel Bognor Regis! The staff at the hotel stole property from my room! A member of staff entered our room whilst I was still a paying customer and took my GHD hair straighteners. My partner had an allergic reaction to something overnight in our hotel room, went in to anaphylactic shock and was rushed to hospital so we made the decision to leave a day early. On the way home (late evening) I realised I had left my straighteners in the room. I immediately called the hotel. The receptionist told me not to drive back and that a member of housekeeping would contact me the next morning to organise them to be posted back. A week later after daily phone calls to the hotel that just rang with no reply we were finally told that the straighteners have gone missing and they have refused to do anything about. We also received information from the head office that a member of staff had actually entered the room on the evening we had left which would've been some time after 10pm! Most likely to take my straighteners! Head office were not at all helpful and said they were not willing to help us in any way with this matter. Not what I would expect from Butlins at all! We really had hoped to resolve this situation amicably with Butlins as we have enjoyed our previous stays at the resort but because of the way we have been treated they have left us with no choice now but to contact the police and report this. This has really opened my eyes to the type of organisation that this is, where customers are treated with such disregard. Butlins were not willing to follow up internally at all, and instead choose to leave it down to the customer to have to resolve a matter that I feel Butlins should hold responsibility for after I put my trust in members of staff employed by Butlins. It is a real shame that I now would not return to this resort as I would not feel as though my belongings were safe. I also found out afterwards that a similar situation had happened with another guest at this hotel, around the same time we stayed there and all his clothes went missing from his room!

“NEVER AGAIN !!!”

written by angryofhernebay on 31/05/2014

Family holiday ruined,stayed in a silver apartment last weekend all got food poisoning from eating in the coast restaurant never again, spent over a thousand pounds and still feeling unwell... key card didnt all ways work, blood on mattress, lounge door handle broken, oven missing a dial, which was dangerous for little ones running around. bedroom lights didnt all work. The swimming pool was very good, but my son and three grandchildren only went in it once as they were so ill from the food they had eating at the the coast restaurant.

“Filthy dirty Ocean Hotel”

written by Muncle on 01/09/2013

Dirty and disgusting. Excrement on the mattress, cigarette buttsin our accommodation. Cheap quality food. If you want to pay £275 a day for this you are as mad and as stupid as ourselves. Entertainment good but not worth the stomach upsets at the end of a so called holiday. Even when you complain the arrogant organisation do not even give you a courtesy of a reply, rubbish company, rubbish quality, save your money and don't waste it at this money making organisation.

“Fantastic :)”

written by Gw19 on 19/08/2013

Arrived at butlins Bognor on the 15.07.13, for 7 nights. 3 adults, twins 3yrs and 5yr old. Stayed in the ocean hotel with dining plan. We had a fantastic time this is our 2nd visit and can honestly say that it was better than the 1st (and even that was ace) so much to do for the children, didn't spend as much as i thought considering we stayed for 7nights. Food was delicious, staff very friendly. I was ill on the last day and the staff at the ocean hotel looked after me very well. I'm a fan of butlins Bognor and will be booking very soon for next year. Considering staying at the wave next year. Traveled down from Leeds, well worth it. See you soon butlins. :)

“Don't go to Butlins!”

written by on 26/01/2013

Visited here in November 2012 and was absolutely astounded how the council have allowed Butlins to operate when their accommodation is definitely not up to health and safety standards. When we complained that there was no bathing facilities as the bath in our apartment had literally rusted so badly all the enamel had come off, we were then moved to a disabled unit which quite frankly stunk so bad of excrement that even with a whole Tin of air fresher nothing could get rid of the smell. We were in the verge of packing up on our first day and returning home when we were told we would be upgraded to the hotel although were then charged an additional £400 for this. Although the hotel room was much better, we had no towels or sanitary wear in our room and it was not cleaned throughout our entire stay. Of course I sent in a written complaint and although I received a pretty poor apology no refund or partial refund was offered. I would never return here and would recommend everyone not to even think about it, there are plenty of other uk family resorts which have much cleaner facilities and much more helpful staff!

“ocean hotel bogna”

written by bogna on 28/09/2012

Room clean and bright with nice decor, comfortable bed and chairs. Liked the different colour lights. 5 stars. Found some staff in the resturant not very helpful. They seemed to have preference to be helpful to some people and ignoring others. They could not be bothered to put together a table for my group of 6 who booked to be together. One day i saw a long queue for breakfast, while their were empty tables in the resturant. On one occasion we ate at the Deck, the staff we very friendly and professional. They get my 5 stars. Had the staff in the Ocean resturant been professional i would have given 5 stars

“Butlins bognor regis:Holiday to remember!”

written by on 06/04/2012

Wow,we went to butlins last year Easter and it was great.Amazing food,great facilities and awesome staff.Splash water world was brilliant fun for kids and adults,especially loved the shows in centre stage!Our accommodation was silver but fantastic,clean and tidy.Everything I expected and more.Going there this summer!There was nothing I didn't like.It was all amazing,but it could be improved by making it more easy to get around the park.

“Worst time ever at Butlins”

written by on 03/11/2011

Booked a group booking for 39 people ranging from 1 year old to 52 years old for a 21st birthday weekend over the Halloween Weekend. The security staff constantly ID'd the younger ones, not once but constantly. Couldnt/wouldnt tell us the fancy dress up night so we decided to do it Saturday Night. Guess what, it was Sunday Night. Bar staff and staff in the cafe were rude and served other customers before us. We had clearly been branded 'lager louts' BUT they accepted the booking and knew the ages so took the money off us and then made our time there very awkward. The Silver Chalets were horrible as well. A stain I would rather not guess where it came from on the curtains. A burnt iron mark on the floor of the small 3rd bedroom (even though there was an ironing board in the cupboard). Bathroom was not very clean either, felt just as dirty when I came out! Windows might as well be non-existant for noise levels. Felt that Butlins were happy to take our money - over £4,000 but treated us very badly. Will never go to any Butlins camp again.

“butlins bognor ocean hotel”

written by beerjim on 28/10/2011

hi just got back from a 4 night break in the ocean hotel. This was fantastic! as for the rest of the resort save your money! no wonder there is illness in butlins. not enough cleaners in the main section toilets disgusting! You need to pay for a lot more entertainment now and it seems to be an endless pit for money to go in! They have built a lot more accommodation and not enlarged the venues which is a joke! people Que for an hour before each show so they can get a seat. Would love health and safety to go on the same night wrestling is on way over their safe numbers for a fire! beware this was not a good holiday!

“Long Weekend in Butlins, Bognor ”

written by Reenie302011 on 24/10/2011

So we wanted to take the kids away somewhere fun for early birthday presents and to have a break ourselves...it was well worth it! The Hubby and I had been to Butlins regions in our youth, we both had very fond memories and hoped the kids would feel the same way. Our kids are 2&4 and there was plenty catered for them. The is so much on site to do and different places to eat (there are the restaurants which are Butlins owned and also Burger King and Papa Johns, as well as pubs, coffee shops and wine bars). If you want to venture off course and see Bognor, the town centre is less than a 10 min walk from the resort. You can find some high street stores as well as local and there are pound shops too. You will also be able to find McDonalds, KFC and cafes, Morrisons, Sainsburys and some pubs too. Overall the whole experience was great and friendly. We will definately be going back again...maybe in the warmer months though, although the good thing is there is alot more entertainment indoors.

“love it been every year for the past 9 years, always...”

written by hayleyb68 on 02/03/2011

love it been every year for the past 9 years, always go to bognor although went to minehead this half term, which was still as good but not better, accomodation is clean and tidy, food was lovely and entertainment is entertaining from the moment you step into the resort.

“Stayed at butlins for a weekend during feb half term. ...”

written by ruqy on 24/02/2011

Stayed at butlins for a weekend during feb half term. Me and my 8year old loved it. Staff are lovely and there is tons to do. Childrens entertainment was perfect. Apartment was clean and i had everything that i needed. I wold definately go again.

“we have been to Butlins over 30 times in last 9 or ten...”

written by on 01/02/2011

we have been to Butlins over 30 times in last 9 or ten years.
still the best UK holiday camp around , staff helpful and friendly , camp spotless , pool very well designed .watch out for Que's at peak times.plenty of free activities or splash out some money for others its up to you 4 premier activities for £10 by far the cheapest way to pay

“We stayed at Butlins Shoreline in March 08 and then at...”

written by on 08/01/2011

We stayed at Butlins Shoreline in March 08 and then at Butlins Ocean Hotel in October 10. We found both to be fantastic. The rooms were clean, comfy and well designed for our family of 4, then 5. The staff, from the cleaners to the lifeguards to the redcoats were falling over themselves to help us and make our holiday special. Yes the restaurants are pricey but the food was lovely. The entertainments are perfect for our daughters (age 2-9) We will DEFINITELY be going back again.

“we went with college for a day and it was a complete...”

written by 93alex on 08/11/2010

we went with college for a day and it was a complete aweful. there was no entertainment for our age. everything we wanted to go on was too expencive. we also had to have a talk but they canceled it on the day. i do not recommend to go there just waste of time and money.

“First I would like to state the staff are...”

written by on 01/09/2010

First I would like to state the staff are fantastic...now for my rant.

Accommodation: Well we had the basic chalet. BIG mistake. Very small, dingy and dirty. Kind of place you don't want to use the bathroom. I know 'you get what you pay for' but honestly I've seen 2 star hotels in greece that are better!

Food: please don't go full or half board if you care about what you eat. Dining in the zoo (main restaurant) is a truly shocking experience. We had dinner there the first night...and never visited it again. The food is reminiscent of a bad school cafeteria from the 70's. The noise is unbearable an the cleanliness of the place leaves a lot to be desired. We ended up eating out the for lunch and dinner and skipping breakfasts despite it being paid for.

Pool: Ok I guess. Becomes extremely busy and was a little concerned with the colour of the water. It did not feel clean.

Amenities: Your kids will love it there. And that is the point right? Well the thing is you could do it all in a day trip and save yourself the trauma of an overnight stay. Swimming, Bowling, on the rides, watch a show home. There's really no need to stay for more than one night. The beach at Bognor is lovely at low tide though. Bognor itself is suffering from the usual British seaside resort neglect. It's as if it's stuck in a time warp. I'm sure it was quaint 30 years ago but now it's just dated.

So here's the problem...You can pay more for the premium accommodation and eat out...but for that money you can go abroad and eat decent food. So I'm struggling to justify a holiday at Butlins. Day trip yes, Holiday no.

And if I'm perfectly honest our biggest problem was with the other guests. It may sound a tad snobbish but if you feel more at home in a Centre Parcs or Potters then Butlins will make you think you've been deposited into the middle of a very tacky channel 5 soap about teenage pregnancy, health issues and basic lack of manners and literacy.

But...you're kids will enjoy it. So a bit of a paradox...