Nissan Almera 1.5 S Reviews

Nissan Almera 1.5 S - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Nissan Almera 1.5 S

“Excellent workhorse”

written by meradriver on 24/08/2013

2001 1.5 petrol. I bought mine 4 years ago and have used it every day for the daily commute which is a 150 mile round trip. It now has 155k on the clock and still going strong. Had to replace the gearbox at 70k but ever since then have only had to replace the front wheel bearings which is outstanding reliability. Still on the original clutch and brake pads/shoes which maybe reflects my driving style but again very impressive. Change the oil every 9k else you risk accelerated wear in the timing chain and the issues that go with it. Not the sexiest looking car, or the swiftest but competent and a true workhorse.

“won't beat a ford”

written by Tallywhistler on 19/05/2013

Bought new in 2001 & scrapped in May 2013 when I drove through a swollen ford and got water in the engine. In between however it did 203k with minimal servicing minimal care and attention and with the original clutch. Only thing that got changed was the drive belt relatively early in its life. Good family car, reliable. Could push it on motorways. To me a car isn't a trophy its a work horse. Dropping the back seats gave plenty of space and even with a tow bar and trailor good power for a 1500cc. Bought to replace a micra which my wife now has (163k same clutch) I wouldn't have a bad word to say against Nissan.

“Nissan Almera 2003 1.5 s”

written by on 17/11/2011

My Almera is a 2003, 1.5 S and is well built and very reliable. I am the second owner with 80k miles. I have read many reviews about problems with other owner's cars but have had none of these. The engine has been run on fully synthetic 05-30w changed every 9k miles. One critical aspect owners overlook is changing the gear box oil. Nissan don't specify a service schedule for this, but Toyota recommend changing at 72k. (Gearbox oil wears down it's viscosity over time and accelerated high-wear occurs in the bearing housing, leading to failure). I recommend the g/box oil changed at 80k. The 10mm g/box filler plug seizes if not removed frequently. (Tip: Heat the plug carefully with a hot-air-gun to loosen it: re-fitting torque to 35nm with a smear of copper grease on the thread.) The engine should be good for 300k miles or more if well maintained. Where many owners go wrong is lack of maintenance.

“It's the worst car I ever owned. Even worse than my...”

written by Jillsm on 05/05/2011

It's the worst car I ever owned. Even worse than my first rusty Ford Sierra.
It has a faulty timing chain which makes the car very jittery and eventually won't start at all.
Fixing the timing chain would cost £1800 (May2011). Replacing the timing chain is no gurantee the chain won't strech again.
I replaced mine last year, I'm having the same problem again.
I thought I was unlucky but when I googled it I found many Nissan owners are having the same problem.
I can't believe Nissan is getting away with this.

Guest's Response to Jillsm's Review

Written on: 05/02/2012

Couldn't agree more with your comment. Dont touch with barge pole, the timing chain fault is apparently as common as dirt.

Sahill777's Response to Jillsm's Review

Written on: 12/10/2015

Hi is it possible u can tell me when u got timing change problem what things car was doing
Actually I have an Almera 1.5 2005 sinse 4 weeks I have a problem my car starts ok and drives also but when I press full or half pad of gas it doesn't take and if I press lightly it's running may I it's better to say it don't have power like before when I press full gas it doesn't run fast and when I press light gas it run better been to 4 different Macanics but no one can understand what's wrong with it and taking money from me to spend there time on it any one can help thanks

Jillsm's Response to Jillsm's Review

Written on: 02/10/2012

Please report your problem to BBC watch dog. Write about it everywhere: forums\facebook\twitter. If enough people speak out Nissan will be forced to fix their own problem.
I personally vowed never to buy a Nissan again.

Winkmurray's reply to Jillsm's Comment

Written on: 21/10/2012

Timing chain replaced 20 months ago , stretched again . Will not hesitate in advertising poor after sales service from Nissan . Would not have another Nissan for free , trouble , trouble.

Mikelowry2012's Response to Jillsm's Review

Written on: 02/10/2012

Same here 2003 model. Spoke to Nissan customer services who admitted there was a problem but had gone away. I explained mine has just begun. Timing chain revs going crazy no power. They eventually told me to go away in a polite way . Not impressed. Havent got the money for a new engine so its back on the buses. Thank you nissan from me and my kids.

“Bought almera 1.5 in 2006. At around 40,000 miles the...”

written by on 07/04/2011

Bought almera 1.5 in 2006. At around 40,000 miles the timing chain had stretched and needed replacing,very costly.After about another 24,000 miles we have the same problem .Nissan refuse to admit there is a problem although there are countless people complaining of the same problem along with so many other faults.I have reported this problem to watchdog and would strongly advise other people to do the same.Maybe then something will finally be done.Why should these big name manufacturers be aloud to get away with obvious faults with there products!

Jillsm's Comment

Written on: 05/05/2011

Have you repoted your problem to vosa?
<br/>I'll give watchdog a call.
<br/>It's appauling how Nissan dealt with the timing chain issue.
<br/>I'll keep away form Nissan from now on.
<br/>Thanks.

Winkmurray's Comment

Written on: 21/10/2012

same problem at nearly exact same mileage .

“Not the quickest or most exciting car,but ive now done...”

written by chriskane on 16/02/2011

Not the quickest or most exciting car,but ive now done 96000 miles,the engine is great and its been pretty reliable,however the gearbox seems to be its achilles heal,i had to have it reconditioned after about 80k miles.Its making funny noises again,this may be due to the muppet that rebuilt it !.
Other than that its been pretty good.I like the look of the car,but im in a minority there!

“I bought it because it was a Nissan but I was really...”

written by David38 on 25/11/2010

I bought it because it was a Nissan but I was really disappointed.
The exterior is ok but I liked the interior.
The timing chain got stretched and it was very expensive to repair.
After one year, I'm having the same problem and Nissan quoted me £15000-£17000 to repair.
I called Nissan customer services but they said I was the first to report it. I guess they say that to everyone who reports the same problem.
I'll keep clear of Nissan cars next time.

“I purchased this car with only a few thousand miles on...”

written by frazel on 05/11/2010

I purchased this car with only a few thousand miles on it and now reads 60k and other than tyres and an annual service has been very cheap and reliable to own.This model is much improved over earlier models of the almera.It is also eco on fuel,insurance and other running costs are very reasonable.Thoroughly recommmend to anyone.

“I have had my Almera 1.5s from new and have had no...”

written by on 23/08/2010

I have had my Almera 1.5s from new and have had no problems at all.
Nissan have always been good and reliable that all my family own them.
The size of the car is great for the family and luggage space is good.

“got an almera 2 years ago with 45,000 on clock timing...”

written by john bullock on 30/06/2010

got an almera 2 years ago with 45,000 on clock timing chain went at 53,000 got it fixed it cost £1,000 pounds and it has just gone again 70,000 on clock is this common? i would not recomend this car to anybody its the worse car ive had

David38's Response to john bullock's Review

Written on: 25/11/2010

I found this review very helpful because it mentioned a common problem with the Nissan Almera model which is the Timing Chain.
<br/>I agree totally with the review and I wouldn't recommend this model to anyone.

Guest's Response to john bullock's Review

Written on: 23/06/2011

I agree, I think I m having the same problems with my Almera 1.5 I really hope its only the spark plugs

Patel Uk's Response to john bullock's Review

Written on: 25/11/2010

I found this review very helpful because...its so true of Nissan

“i have a 2007 nissan almera with only 65000klm its...”

written by on 26/06/2010

i have a 2007 nissan almera with only 65000klm its warranty is only out by 3wks and the gearbox has packed in,is this normal? nissan are refusing to repair it am I the only one that has this problem?

“I bought my Almera Esteem 1.4 because I do high...”

written by on 23/06/2010

I bought my Almera Esteem 1.4 because I do high mileage and I needed a reliable, economical car. At the time it had 78,000 miles on the clock. It's now got 182,000 miles and still going strong. I replaced the gearbox and clutch recently because the gearbox was noisy and I thought while it was out changing the clutch would be sensible. That was the first repair it has needed apart from the usual minor stuff. It's not flashy, but it's a faithful old soldier which still does 40,000 miles a year and the engine still sounds as good as new.

“Good,reliable car,not the most comfortable...”

written by on 05/02/2010

Good,reliable car,not the most comfortable car,especially over road humps,there is no give.Very bad on fuel consumption(unleaded)around town.

“Hi-I drove a Nissan Almera 1.5 from 2002-2009.I bought...”

written by on 19/01/2010

Hi-I drove a Nissan Almera 1.5 from 2002-2009.I bought the car with 38,000 miles on the clock and all was well until 55,000 miles when the gearbox bearings had to be replaced.Nissan wanted to charge £800 for the work but as the car was only 1 month out of warranty they eventually agreed to carry out the work for £400.That was in 2003 but I'm happy to report that since then nothing further has gone wrong and I sold the car in Dec 09 with 123,000 miles on the clock.

“ I THINK THAT THE ALMERA IS A VERY GOOD ECONOMICAL...”

written by on 29/10/2009

I THINK THAT THE ALMERA IS A VERY GOOD ECONOMICAL CAR. THE ALMERA GEARBOX
IS A PROBLEM GIVER BUT OTHERWISE THE ENGIN IS SUPER. I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT THE ALMERA SHOULD GET A BETTER PERFORMANCE ENGIN, MAYBE A 2L ENGIN TO MAKE THE CAR A MORE YOUTH LIKE. NISSAN WILL MAKE ALOT OF MONEY IF THEY CATER FOR THE MORE YOUNGER GENERATION. THE A/C OF THE CAR NEVER ONCE GAVE ME PROBLEMS AND I THINK ILL STILL DRIVE IT FOR FIVE YEARS.

“Almera 1.5 - S. ”

written by on 18/10/2009

Almera 1.5 - S.

I have owned my 2003, 1.5 petrol "S" model for almost 1 year. It has been owned by one previous owner, a woman with 54,400 Miles. It needed some TLC and a full service: oil filter, new (Bosch 3 core) spark plugs, 5w-30 Synth' Oil, air filter, tracking and camber, repair to a slow puncture on one tyre and now drives like new!! I have previously owned a new 911 997 Turbo (GT silver) (sold because I am having a costly divorce) had a 53' Range Rover Vogue, had a new 52' Audi TT, 05' BMW 330d M-Sport which was amazing, and the Almera is a stop-gap car between my normal cars. I have to say I am really impressed with the '03 Nissan Almera, it drives like its out of the showroom, the engine is amazingly quiet, the silver colour is superb, the interior is very tidy like can be in car in this price structure. What's important is that the service schedule is adhered too, the oil is the best you can buy (it's only 2.7 Ltr), the gear box is silky smooth - same quality feel as my £109,000 911 Turbo, I am totally impressed with the Nissan. I think I could get another 150,000 miles from the car with careful driving 60-70 Mph. The bottom of the chassis has just been fully waxed at my local Porsche Body shop at a cost of £89.00 well worth the cost! When you are knocking the bad one's out there, remember there are good quality examples - and after all the same Company make the GT-R (Skyliner) super-car, so they do know about manufacturing high quality components and engine tolerances .

“I hated the nissan almera 1.5 s shape but I put up...”

written by Nabile on 02/09/2009

I hated the nissan almera 1.5 s shape but I put up with it.
One day I was driving and all of the sudden the engine stalled when I was overtaking on a busy dual carriageway. It happened without any warning and it nearly killed me.
I found out that this problem is caused by a faulty timing chain. It's a RENAULT part that stretches and causes the engine to stall and not restart.
Nissan still refuses to own up and recall all Almeras. Until the timing chain is replaced, Nissan Almeras are a death trap.
A trip to a Nissan garage confirmed the error codes are related to the Timing Chain. It costs £900-£1000 and 4hrs to fix.
The more people report this problem the more likely Nissan will issure a recall.

Needless to say this is the last Nissan car I will ever own.

“After reading the reviews already on here i thought i...”

written by on 12/08/2009

After reading the reviews already on here i thought i would write one. My Nissan Almera 1.5 S 2002 02 plate 46k on the clock i got it at 40k!! and so far no problems. Alot of people have been talking about the gear box failing but after doing alot of reasearch and reading this only seems to appear on 2003 models or later and if its going to hapen it does it before 40k (so im hoping im ok. again another common problem seems to be melting headlights again seems to be on 2003 or later models. Now for my faivorite bit fuel ecconmy, if driven carefuly you can expect good fuel ecconmy, i drove 330 miles at a average of about 55mph with a car full of camping stuff and retrieved 50mpg but put your foot down (where legal) with 4 passengers in the car and it could drop as low as 15mpg!!!!!!!!,but its a good solid car that feels sturdy and rides smothly even at higher speeds when, you get there coming to my next point acceleration is poor and even worse with 4 passengers esp in 2nd gear if you wanna go anywhere you have to change from first really late but once you get there it seems to quiten down and quite happily sit there at 70mph all day so if you want a comfertable well priced reliable general run about this is for you but if your a petrol head and are after speed and agility forget it, it wont win many races. If you still want one in my opinion avoid the 2003 models and go for 1 with a few more miles on it 45k plus beacuse from what i read all the major problems seem to occour before that if there going to.

“I have owned different brands of cars and there is...”

written by on 23/07/2009

I have owned different brands of cars and there is something to be said for all of them. The best car I had was an Audi 80 from 93. Had two Mercedes Benz which where great but expensive. The worst car I ever had was a Renault Clio. The second worst car was a Saab 9-5 3 ltr V6 full options, of 99. The Almera is like taking a clean breath of air. I have noticed a lot of complaints about small stuff and that Nissan would not do this and that. I recommend everyone to buy an expensive quality car full options. You'll be back here talking about the good old Almera never letting you down in a heartbeat. Guaranteed! All cars need maintenance and proper care. If you manage to wreck 3 gearboxes, maybe the problem is you?

“I bought a 53 plate nissan almera s last year,was...”

☆☆☆☆☆

written by on 12/07/2009

I bought a 53 plate nissan almera s last year,was 40000 on clock,but now still not been 50000 on clock ,gearbox broken,I put in garage nearly one month,cos i can not find a used parts, and i can not offer a new gearbox it's cost around 2000 pounds! I do't know what shall i do now !

Asked by bredafanning on 17th January 2017 Report this content
Can I swap the front seats around?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site

Asked by Danlon1413 on 22nd May 2014 Report this content
What is the best oil to use in my car please?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site