RAC Motorcycle Insurance Reviews

1.4
  • Customer service

RAC Motorcycle Insurance - Ask a question now

“STAY CLEAR RAC BIKE INSURANCE ”

written by RavenWhitaker on 04/09/2023

Had policy 1 week change In circumstances ment I wanted to change policy to another bike. I'd have to cancel and restart new policy and I loose half my original premium on first policy... this wasn't my cheapest quote but I thought been RAC company it be worth while paying extra MAJOR MISTAKE STAY CLEAR!! ID OF GIVE NO STARS IF WAS OPTION

“cancellation fees”

written by Felicitys21 on 23/08/2023

hi I got a policy from rac last month for my bike cost was £93 pounds I had a change in my circumstances so i sold the bike called rac to cancel policy guess what cancelation fee is £75 so allowing for the £75 I end up with nothing. I am not concerned about the money but I think £75 cancellation fee is a disgrace I would not recommend the rac to anyone I will be posting this on social media to l masters

“Avoid. Others do a much better job. ”

written by Norris467 on 09/06/2017

Cancelled my insurance as I sold my motorcycle. Took nearly 20 minutes to get through to someone on the phone as I couldn't do it via the online portal. Expected the usual 'cancellation charge' to be told it would be £50 on a £220 policy. Three months of the policy remaining & I was told no refund and 'I wouldn't have to pay any additional costs'. Dread to think what they are like at handling claims. Avoid.

“the insurance is provided by Devitt motorbikes”

written by sherry.nn on 26/05/2016

i purchased the quote online and paid full amount lumpsum, after three months i sold the bike and when cancelling the policy they didnt want to refund me anything even they asked £25 for cancelling, as a law abiding citizen i had to pay other they would take my credit history. Also this insurance is provided by Devitt not rac when you get your insurance certificate read it carefully and cancel insurance,

Sherry.nn's Response to sherry.nn's Review

Written on: 26/05/2016

PS: did not make claim.

“RAC Insurance over priced”

written by AngryBiker99 on 18/11/2015

For any Motorcyclists out there don't bother use RAC to insure your motorcycle as you will probably find it is over priced and there is no additional fuzzy warm feeling from going via them as they don't want anything to do with it. (For Car Insurance it may also be worth reading the below as again RAC only front another insurer) I used them in the naive belief I would get a better deal as an RAC member. Turns out they just front "Devitt" and with the "identical risk details" you can more than likely make a substantial saving by going direct as I found. When you complain they don't want to know as, and I quote, "there expertise is in membership and not administering policies" though they are obviously quite happy to take a cut! P.S. Don't ever pay the full price for your RAC Breakdown cover. A 5 minute call with details of a competitors quote will always get you money off. Saved just over £50 this year as Green Flag were being really competitive

“GOD AWFUL, DISGUSTING, DISHONEST, ROBBERS! STAY AWAY!!”

written by JenniferB6 on 18/11/2014

I am 19 years old and I have been riding bikes since I was 16 but -because of the insufficient funds of a 16-18 year old- I never used to pay for my insurance myself. Thus, this is my first year of my own insurance. So, I decided to pick a well know (what I thought would be..) trusted company such as the RAC. However, I have just been greeted with the true colours of the company. I have been insured with the company for just a little over a month and they have already cancelled the policy on me because They failed to deliver efficint instructions that I was required to send specific documents to them. As a first time insurer by myself, I have no knowledge from experience about sending any documentation off to the company. Meaning for one fluke month of insurance, it cost me over £100 (because of the deposit) as opposed to the £35 it was supposed to be. Not only that, just to kick me whilst I was down they told me they were going to charge me an extra £22.. Just because they felt like it. Naturally, I refused to pay it and with constant nagging.. They decided to drop the charge. In spite of that, they still refused to reinstate my policy despite a lack of forewarning on their part that it was going to get cancelled in the first place. Ontop of that, because I was completely unaware of even a possibility my insurance was getting cancelled and I had no idea even after it had, I was driving my bike completely uninsured for a couple of days. How unproffessional of a company to leave a 19 year old girl vunerable to an accident, uninsured. I could have been pulled over by the police or anything. The word "appalling" springs to mind, yet I don't think it does the company justice. Absolutely, unbelievably, disgusting insurance company (even more so than usual)!! WOULD NOT RECOMMEND!!

“Poor product in disguise”

written by kyojitsu on 09/09/2013

Don't be fooled into thinking this has anything to do with RAC - it's just Devitt and they don't make it very clear who you're buying from. My renewal letter proudly told me they'd found a cheaper policy for me - I checked the Defaqto website and saw it was a 1 star rated product with very few features. I managed to get a 5 star policy from Hastings for a very similar price and had helemt and leathers and legal protection included. As with all insurance, it's worth doing your homework and shopping around - take care you know who is underwriting it as a good price may hide a very basic policy with a massive excess.

“Prompt and effective service”

written by emken67 on 31/07/2013

After bailing in London and requiring hospital treatment, my bike was picked up and taken to wreckers immediately who then brought it back to my house once I had been released from hospital. The repairers then came within a couple of days to take it in. This was the only iffy part, they had the bike for 7 weeks for pretty minor repairs (replace screen, brake pedal, tank mouldings and fog lamp -no spraying required). Luckily I was in plaster for 6 of those weeks, but it could easily have been an issue.

“RAC motorcycle insurance Decided to use RAC to insure...”

written by Polymerase-Man on 27/02/2013

RAC motorcycle insurance Decided to use RAC to insure my CBF125 back in September, bought it online for £450, the next day they rang me up to tell me that the quote online was wrong and that it would actually cost me £770, I reluctantly paid up because it was still cheap for someone of my age group and I didn't want the hassle. I should have bailed then, it was obviously a warning sign of their incompetence. Also I've recently been informed that they legally aren't allowed to just casually increase the premium like that when I'd already bought the insurance, but I didn't realise this at the time. I started my training in my home town, but was not able to complete it before going to university, I therefore decided to take the bike with me. They refused to insure me for multiple addresses despite my university address being a less risky postcode than my home address. So instead I had to "move address" for which they charged me a considerable admin fee. For moving to a less risky postcode. Right... Having completed my training and obtained my license I then attempted to insure a restricted sv650. They refused to insure me. I might as well have not bothered spending £700 quid on training and stayed on L-plates. Their reason for refusing to insure me was my age. Despite the fact I'd passed my test-proven that I am capable of riding a motorcycle safely, because I'm young, apparently that means I'm going to ride recklessly. This is outright ageism, it is discrimination. I am a hard-working,sensible and intelligent young man, not some mad hooligan. A middle aged man going through a mid life crisis and riding for the first time, speeding because "he wants to feel young again" is a far higher risk than a young man with a future. The only reason these companies get away with it is because young people aren't represented in our society, and are used as a scapegoat for pretty much everything.