Mustek DV3000 Reviews

Interchangeable Lens: Not Interchangeable Lenses
Optical Zoom: Without Optical Zoom
35mm Zoom Lens: 50 mm
Digital Zoom: 2x
Focus Range: 27.56 in. to Infinity (w)
Focal Length: 10.84 mm
Image Quality
Camera Resolution: 2.1 Megapixel
Image Resolutions: 640 x 4802048 x 1536 (Interpolated)1600 x 1200
Video
Video Resolutions: 320 x 240 (QVGA)
Video Format: AVI
Mp3 Built In:
Built-in Microphone: With Built-in Microphone
Built-in Speaker: With Built-in Speaker
System Requirements
Operating System: Apple Mac OS 9Microsoft Windows 2000Microsoft Windows 98Microsoft Windows MEMicrosoft Windows XP
Other
Height: 6.8 cm
Width: 4 cm
Depth: 8.6 cm
Weight: 0.1 kg
Included Accessories: 2 x AA BatteriesSoftwareUSB CableVideo CableBag32 MB Memory CardStrap

“damn good jo”

Written on: 26/09/2013

My name is Jeff I'm 53 I have owned Mustek products before.this didgital cam was a treat for me. It was made in 01 this particiular one is the dv3000. I purchased it from a military couple from florida. Yes I would buy several cams for gifts. Since phones come with cams and other feachers it really brought the price of cams down. U can still shell out the bucks for a pro cam. For now Mustek offers a very affordable personal cam with plenty of feachers mem. And great for gifts!… Read Full Review

“i got my Mustek DV3000 about 4 weeks ago and i must...”

Written on: 21/12/2003 by Joellamb (1 review written)

i got my Mustek DV3000 about 4 weeks ago and i must say it is very good. it is very good value for money. it comes with everything i needed. the camera mode is a lot better than the movie mode. the picture quality is very good. it would be better if it had a flash of course but the night shot mode is alright but does not work very well on movie mode. it is my first digi cam and am very pleased with it. i would recommend it to anyone who wants a good value for money digital camera/digital… Read Full Review

“I just got my Mustek DV3000 camera today. It's my...”

Written on: 28/10/2003 by enzof2002 (1 review written)

I just got my Mustek DV3000 camera today. It's my first digital camera and i must say im very impressed. it comes with everything! It has loads of great features and is really easy to use. For its size everything is really easy to get at and well laid out. I recommend this to anyone… Read Full Review

“Having a proper DV camera is all well and good, but...”

Written on: 06/08/2003 by pantman (1 review written)

Having a proper DV camera is all well and good, but with the Mustek DV3000 Digital Camcorder being this cheap means you can get video shots in dodgy situations where the camera might get damaged, and not be too gutted when it gets smashed. I'm going to strap one to my Downhill bike and ride down the Alps. Then try car, motorbike, RC plane, or throw it off a cliff with a parachute!!! wouldnt do that with a grand camera until im alot richer… Read Full Review

“Took on trip to Colorado mountains. Used for video...”

Written on: 31/07/2003 by joyce m. (1 review written)

Took on trip to Colorado mountains. Used for video riding through mountain roads and along- the-road stops. Only question I have, is why I'm not getting as much video time as others seem to get. Have a 256MB secured digital card and only got about 40 minutes recording time. Others seem to be getting that with 128MB card. e-mail me at djmraz@cox.net, with any suggestions. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the camera for the price… Read Full Review

“The first thought I had when I opened the box was that...”

Written on: 25/07/2003 by Chiok. (1 review written)

The first thought I had when I opened the box was that it was the smallest thing I had ever seen. You see those L'Espion cameras that are like matchbox size, but produce poor pictures. This one might be worthwhile. For the money, it seems worthwhile, and is all around very good.
Though there are a few limitations. You need a rather large SD or MMC card to hold any good length videos on the higher setting (9 minutes low, 4 minutes high on a 32MB) It doesn't tell you how much space is left… Read Full Review

“This camera is fine - gotta hold it still to get a...”

Written on: 11/07/2003 by roge. (1 review written)

This camera is fine - gotta hold it still to get a decent picture - quality is good but doesn't matter these days anyway - just bring pictures onto your computer and edit away until you have a
masterpiece!! I recommend this as a simple camera-maybe a good first digital camera thats easy to use but dont expect the world -… Read Full Review

“For around $160.00 for the Mustek DV3000, its great....”

Written on: 23/06/2003 by lenlutz. (1 review written)

For around $160.00 for the Mustek DV3000, its great. Im not sure what folks expect, but, i must say, it definitely outperforms my expectations.. you can pick up, a video editor program, to lighten inside shots...
also, you may want to get the
windows media converter, and make the "avi"'s
"wmp", to save space....
i am quite pleased with it… Read Full Review

“When I saw this DV3000 camera advertised it seemed to...”

Written on: 23/06/2003 by Rob. (1 review written)

When I saw this DV3000 camera advertised it seemed to be spot on for what I wanted. A cheap video capable camera, which I wouldn't be scared to put on my biking helmet/attach to my power kites, or whatever that I'm not about to do with my Sony MiniDV camera.
Thusly I ordered and duly it arrived.
You've probably read that the video resolution isn't great, and it's not, but it depends what you want to do with the files. For websites the 320x240x10/15fps is fine, it keeps file sizes down and… Read Full Review

Kellie.'s Response to 109936_Rob.'s Review

Written on: 07/07/2003

I just ordered my dv3000 by mustek and was wondering if someone could give the name of the external light source they are using for this camera? I plan to use for video clips of my band for our website and our lighting can be kinda dark. please advise

Ian's Response to 109936_Rob.'s Review

Written on: 13/08/2003

Having seen one demonstrated I thought how good it looked, but was sceptical about the time it would record. Loads of useful info in the review regarding media cards and recording time, light conditions etc. Thanks, great unbiased report.

Pantman's Response to 109936_Rob.'s Review

Written on: 06/08/2003

Youve done exactly what I wanted to know if it would, strap it to your bike helmet, except I want to strap it to the bike itself. Very helpfull. I will go and buy one now....

113884_Dave.'s Response to 109936_Rob.'s Review

Written on: 07/07/2003

I like your review, it sums up exactally what ths camera is about. People take note, as he says it is not a professional camera, and it dosen't want to be. its for adults, children, and students for fun. well done good review:)

Read 4 Comments

“If I had not thrown away all the packing material, I...”

Written on: 15/06/2003 by Gary. (1 review written)

If I had not thrown away all the packing material, I would have returned the camera. Lighting compensation is poor and you must be in a perfect light situation. I have seen better pictures from under 1 meg pixel than from this 3.1 meg camera. Save your money… Read Full Review

“Have owned this Mustek DV3000 for just over three...”

Written on: 09/06/2003 by pt. (1 review written)

Have owned this Mustek DV3000 for just over three months. As I tend to travel quite a bit, this is a great little camera for taking lots of pictures and videos (you will need to get a larger memory card though - I found a 256meg for $65!). The small size means you can carry it with you almost everywhere and simply pull it out of your pocket when you see something interesting. The pictures usually turn out pretty good... not professional grade of course, and the video quality is passable at… Read Full Review

“well i received my Mustek DV3000 yesterday and i must...”

Written on: 09/05/2003 by James. (1 review written)

well i received my Mustek DV3000 yesterday and i must say it is more than i expected for the 150 price tag... it works great and seems to hold up pretty well... I already dropped it off my bike at 15mph and its still recording.

The vid quality is about as good as internet vid.. nothing you could make a movie with.

The pic quality is about par with mid range digicams.

The software included is okay. I mostly hate the interfaces... Thats Ulead for you though.

The build quality is great for… Read Full Review

Digital Dumb A##.'s Response to 96272_James.'s Review

Written on: 22/05/2003

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT U DID TO FIX THE NO FLASH/LOW LIGHT PROBLEM!THIS WILL BE NY FIRST DIGITAL CAMERA, AND NOT SURE HOW TO GET AROUND THIS.

Slimster333's Response to 96272_James.'s Review

Written on: 30/08/2003

I have just got this funcky camera and would be interested in how you got round the low light problem ?

Slimster333's Response to 96272_James.'s Review

Written on: 30/08/2003

I have just bought this camera and would like to know how you got round the low light problem?

109116_Rob.'s Response to 96272_James.'s Review

Written on: 20/06/2003

I just received my mustek yesterday and must say it is a fun little camera. Can anyone tell me the specific name brand of the external light source they used? Thanks.

Aurora.'s Response to 96272_James.'s Review

Written on: 09/06/2003

I'd also like to know about the light issue as well. I almost returned my unit...but it was a hassle and for the money I paid, I can deal ....but I think my light problem is because the inner and outer lenses don't line up exactly. You can actaully see that they are a little off center...you have to catch light at a certain angle even in good light. A solution to the light issue would be most welcome...what kind of flash unit did you get? AND while I'm asking questions...I can take off the outer lens to get better light...there is a small piece of glass laying on top of the inner lens though. Is that important? why do you suppose it is there? It is the inner lens that is off center and I don't want to break anything..is there some way I can get an outer lens that has a bigger eye area to compensate...any ideas of where to look?

104638_Linda.'s Response to 96272_James.'s Review

Written on: 05/06/2003

Hi Johnny-
<br>Can you tell me what kind of small flash type device you hooked up to it...any help would be much appreciated. :)
<br>Linda

101631_Johnny.'s Response to 96272_James.'s Review

Written on: 26/05/2003

All you have to do is buy a small flash type device and tape it on the cam. Quite simple to get around the low light problem.
<br>
<br>I have hopes for this cam considering out of 71 other cams it won the 2003 Digital Shoot Out Dima award. So it must be a good cam and take good photos. I hope, I'll be getting mine soon.
<br>
<br>Anyway good luck with yours, Johnny

100691_Andre.'s Response to 96272_James.'s Review

Written on: 23/05/2003

I would also like to know how you solved the lighting problem??
<br>My email is prophesa@hotmail.com
<br>If you could email your solution to be that would be excellent.

Read 8 Comments

“If you need a PC cam that doubles as a still/motion...”

Written on: 13/04/2003 by CALOi. (1 review written)

If you need a PC cam that doubles as a still/motion video camera, then you may want to consider the Mustek DV3000. At around $140, the DV3000 comes in a compact camcorder look. It is very light that you can carry it with one hand. You can bring it anywhere you go without any bulky carrying case, but the DV3000 is no substitute to a full featured digital camcorder. There is just no point of comparison. If you are looking for a motion video camera, you have to buy a fuller featured digital… Read Full Review

89033_Caloi.'s Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 14/04/2003

Erratum...
<br>
<br>In PARTING WORDS, I was referring to the Mustek DV3000, not Mintek DV3000.

Jon Lynn's Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 23/12/2003

Thanks for your candid review of the Mustek DV3000 camera. I wished I had read your reviews before I bought mine 2 months earlier. The dual use function of the camera and its lightweight make it handy and functional to record some off-hand occasions during daylight only. However, one of the selling points for me was the claim by HSN that you could record video clips and take pics at night. They played and replayed clips of pics and videos purportedly recorded at night using the night time mode. You can imagine how I felt when my night time recording came up blank. I had recorded using a 128MB MMC in a well lit area. Shouldn’t that claim be false in advertising? On the whole it is a nice value for daytime use.

Quayd's Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 01/12/2003

Thanks for an extremely detailed and honest review. I agree that if you want high end detail, photo quality, and bells and whistles, you aren't going to get it for $150! But from the sound of it, this camera is the kind of thing I'm looking for - knock about, stick in my pack or my glove box when I'm out with the dogs, etc. Thanks again - and to all the rest of you who submitted comments on this review.

Fatmiao's Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 29/11/2003

well, i have use DV3000 for six month now. Love it! A great toy for making my own interview vid's for my course assignments...
<br>
<br>DV4000 for all that I know has a ear phone jack built in for MP3 player. But, still I prefer DV3000 since the mp3 would only consume my space in the memory card, and less space for my vid's...

Playa4Life's Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 02/11/2003

Good Review, I like how you layed it out, very informitive (SP - to tired to make sure it's spelled right ;)).
<br>Thanks a bunch,
<br>Ahmed

Jbondmir's Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 16/09/2003

Hi Kip Dole, i was looking for a sample of de videos that the Mustek DV3000 produces and i found your review, so i would like to ask you if it coulb be possible for you to tell the url of you site and if you have a sample there. My email is jbond_pt@yahoo.com.br.
<br>Thank you

Iris's Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 03/09/2003

For this review I must say it's an accurate portrayal of the DV3000. After I got mine I immediately put it to the test. One thing I noticed during video mode is that, before you press the 'Set' button to start recording, if you press the button that allows you to take night shots in Camera Mode, you get 2 more settings: EVup and EVdown (the 'up' & 'down' are shown as arrows). accordingly, there seems to be a lighting compensation feature that is shown on the screen, which allows you to take bright videos even at lowlight conditions, especially if you're on standard video mode. even indoor lighting and candle lighting becomes acceptable to the DV3000. i suggest you try it. ;)

Salvo's Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 30/08/2003

I was considering buying the DV2000 or DV3000. Just as I decided to buy the DV3000, I wanted to see if there's a DV4000 coming out soon. So I made a research and found out that it's been recently put on the market. So I mailed the Turkish firm that imports Mustek goods; and they told me that the DV4000 will be here, in Turkey, next month, even before USA if what they said is true. So I considered my options again & decided to wait for upcoming DV4000. I think it's more profitable to wait another month or two and pay about a 100 bucks more (for I have no idea what the price will be about here) and get the DV4000 with a better video resolution, for the video capturing is the most important aspect for me. So I'm pretty impatient to get it and hit the streets to capture stuff:)

Kip Dole.'s Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 29/07/2003

I recently purchased the DV3000 and am having loads of fun with it. It is about the size of my wallet so I can just keep it in my pocket. I wish the resolution were higher but for 138.00 not too bad. I wish the file would be saved with the actual datetime and not 1/1/1998 or at least I wish when the data was transferred to my pc it took that date time.
<br>
<br>I play tennis and like to see my serving motion and its perfect for that. It would work for my golf swing as well. It's also fun to tape my kids being themselves.
<br>
<br>I hope they put a flash on the next one too, although that would only work with the camera. If anyone wants to see a sample let me know and I will put a clip on my web site.

117408_Caloi.'s Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 21/07/2003

Hello, Mike! I checked the HSN website and confirmed what you said about the "markdown", but the truth is the DV3000 is never worth more than $150. Maybe in terms of its features, the DV3000 could very well be a $350 hardware, but for that you could buy a cheap digital camcorder (a quick look at Costco.com yields the JVC GR-D30US). I reviewed the DV3000 for what it is and how it matched my need for a portable everyday digital video camera that could double as a PC cam. For all gadgets you buy, know your requirements first and research on them. I appreciate that you considered my review. I am glad I could help!

Krassimir.'s Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 21/07/2003

I have already 2 months DV3000.It work well,good,super.I have before for 10 years long period analog "Sony" handycam,to expensive and quality in dark is also poor.It was to big and problematic for caring.I was tired to bay video tapes(expensive)and slow editing of the video clips.So that Mustek DV3000 is the best shot in digital products,easy to work with and small,real spy!Anything more expensive is waisting the money because of the fast change of technology.So I will be no sorry to get away DV3000 after 1-2 years and buy the next one DV4000 or DV5000.

117152_John.'s Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 20/07/2003

Thanks for saving my $!
<br>I knew it was too good to be true when I saw it on HSN. As a relative amateur when it comes to digital cameras, I was extremely skeptical when I saw a 3.1 mp digital camera with camcorder for under $150 (HSN states that it's marked down from over $400). I thought that the only cameras with no flash were the ones they give free w/magazine subscriptions.

113923_Caloi.'s Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 08/07/2003

Mike, There is no specialized directed light source device available for the Mustek DV3000. The 1-second overexposure feature would allow you to capture stills taken at night in an ambiently lit room. The quality won't be at par with the real flash, though because it would all be natural lighting. The 1-second over exposure feature could not be used for capturing motion video, though. So if you need to capture video in an ambiently lit room at night, you need to be a McGyver. Consider a rechargeable table lamp (!). Not very high tech, huh? Or put in more bucks for a fuller featured digital video camera. That's better quality, too.

113892_Thomas H.'s Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 08/07/2003

Thank you for a very good review of the camera, you convinced me, that I need a real Digital Videocamera and not a toy like the DV3000
<br>Kind regards
<br>Thomas

113379_Mike.'s Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 06/07/2003

what can i use to substitute the lack of having a "flashing" device name and brand would be most welcome.thanks

110647_Ollie.'s Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 25/06/2003

Very helpful, much better than the other reviews, helped me make my mind up about it

108733_A.lambs.'s Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 19/06/2003

thank you for such a clear description of the product. a sales lady was doing a good job at "wow-ing" me yesterday. your review reminded me that i need a "real" video cam...
<br>
<br>the DV3000 does seem to be a pretty nifty toy though...
<br>thanks!

Bovine.'s Response to CALOi.'s Review

Written on: 17/06/2003

Very helpful

Read 18 Comments

“Although lightweight and easy to use, this camera does...”

Written on: 12/04/2003 by JDotson. (1 review written)

Although lightweight and easy to use, this camera does not produce high quality photos. The images lack color and definition. The camera can only be used in good light sources (bright lights outdoors or inside lighting produce worthless images; there is no flash). The slightest movement will blur the image. Poor lens quality and a fixed 10.8 f-stop prevent this camera from performing like a true 3.1 megapixel camera… Read Full Review

90474_Den.'s Response to 88435_JDotson.'s Review

Written on: 20/04/2003

Thanks for tip it did sound too good to be true (a 3.1 camera for under $200). That's why I inquired.

118818_The Wanderer.'s Response to 88435_JDotson.'s Review

Written on: 25/07/2003

I have a DV3000 and I think it's great. I have had no problems at all with bluring, it does really good little video's, and it will print A4 easily without losing quality. I would personally give it 9 out of 10. And it's really small so you can stick it in your pocket.

105778_Matt.'s Response to 88435_JDotson.'s Review

Written on: 09/06/2003

I understand your comments, and maybe it does not act like a 3.1, but you must remember that it is 3.1 with software on pc, its only 2.something on the actual camera.
<br>no flash is a bit of a bummer, but its still an amazing piece of equipement, and so tiny!

99092_Joey.'s Response to 88435_JDotson.'s Review

Written on: 18/05/2003

Thanks All, It did seem to good to be true. The TV sales people are saying that this camera has a 4X zoom and according to the Mustek website it only has a 2X zoom.

Read 4 Comments
☆☆☆☆☆

“I purchased this Mustek DV3000 thinking I was buying a...”

Written on: 29/03/2003 by harold. (1 review written)

I purchased this Mustek DV3000 thinking I was buying a high quality camcorder.
My aiptek pocket dv does as good a job at 1/8th the price.
If there is 3.1 megapixal I would like to know where it is. I tried the camera in every mode possible and never came out with what I would call a decent picture or video.
Mustek should stick with scanners and get out of the camera business… Read Full Review

Microbe.'s Response to harold.'s Review

Written on: 08/04/2003

Come on...what do you expect for the money? A top end video camera? The thing costs around $US100, while not a toy, it does a reasonable job.
<br>
<br>If Harold feels ripped off, I am not sure what he was expecting to get for the price.

Enzof2002's Response to harold.'s Review

Written on: 28/10/2003

What he says is rubbish. He's just trying to hate it on purpose.

Xai0.'s Response to harold.'s Review

Written on: 30/06/2003

Harold, your obviously not the brightest chap if you think your buying a high quality digital camcorder for £109 quid or so and as far as saying you aiptek just does as good job at 1/8th the price <---i doubt it, ive seen the chepest aiptek digital camcorder for £40 and although the video quality is the same, the picture quality is substansualy lower at 1.3 mega pixels.....so harold stick not knowing anything and get out of cameras....

107674_Steve.'s Response to harold.'s Review

Written on: 16/06/2003

Where could you purchase a high quality camcorder for approximately 18 BP Sterling? I have the DV 2000 and it takes great videos and still pictures. Your review is totally unrealistic and slanderous.

Nitro.'s Response to harold.'s Review

Written on: 28/05/2003

hey.
<br>They're right.This camera costs $150.What do you expect to get for this money ?If you want professional pictures and videos - buy a professional camera.But it's not that cheap :)

101628_Johnny.'s Response to harold.'s Review

Written on: 26/05/2003

Considering this Video Digital Camera won the
<br> DIMA 2003 Digital Camera Shoot-Out out of 71 other "higher class" cameras It must be a good digital/ videocamera, maybe you just got the bad apple of the batch?
<br>-Johnny

99464_Cl.'s Response to harold.'s Review

Written on: 19/05/2003

For the money it's a GREAT deal.. I've wanted to shoot digital movies from my cam for a long time, but could never afford it. This cam takes the videos (i've added a 256mb SD memory card which is nice) and the pictures that I want it to. If you are getting lousy images, perhaps you should buy a tripod and mount it on that. I have no problems getting nice pictures. The only drawback people should be aware of is the lack of a flash. You need a regularly lit environment to use this camera. Considering the price, that's a small tradeoff for what you get. If you want high end video features, etc., go spend 300 bones. If you want an incredibly handy and versatile dvcam at a great price, buy the dv3000.

91227_Willy.'s Response to harold.'s Review

Written on: 22/04/2003

How much did Harold pay? if the same as me (£109) where can he buy the aiptek for £15? I am delighted with the little devil, it came with a 32 mb card a case, batteries and all the wires, the software works and the camera is perfectly acceptable at this price. It takes far better clips than either my macica or sony DSC-20.The fact that it has an LCD and playback etc. is remarkable, my only gripe is that the close focus is not the best at 0.7m

Read 8 Comments