Canon PowerShot A70 Reviews

Resolution 3.2
Optical Zoom 3
Battery Type Alkaline or Rechargeable

Features:
  • 3.2 megapixel sensor captures enough detail to create photo-quality 8 x 10 prints and medium-quality prints up to 11 x 14
  • 3x optical zoom and 3.2x digital zoom (9.6x total)
  • Up to 3 minutes of video with sound; manual, aperture and shutter priority exposure modes
  • Compatible with CompactFlash Type I cards; 16 MB card included
  • Powered by 4 AA batteries (alkalines included); connects to PCs and Macs via USB 1.1
  • Refine your search

“I have used my Canon Powershot A70 Digital Camera for...”

Written on: 11/07/2006 by hb1444 (7 reviews written)

I have used my Canon Powershot A70 Digital Camera for over two years. This was my first digital camera. It served me well when I took photos until its power intake got the better of it. I was charging the batteries for ages and found that it only worked for less than an hour. Then I decided to use my batteries in my coffee machine - one fell and rolled under my washing machine, paid 5 pounds for a new set, was worse off, at parties and weddings the camera cut out again, now the memory card has… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“After buying the Canon PowerShot A70 digital camera...”

Written on: 04/06/2006 by ea hoffman (1 review written)

After buying the Canon PowerShot A70 digital camera new and owning it for a year and a half, it developed an E 18 error message and the camera no longer worked. I discovered this was a common problem with all Canon digital camera; some sort of manufacturing glitch, but Canon refused to make good on this product… Read Full Review

347362_Cl Fisher's Response to ea hoffman's Review

Written on: 24/02/2008

Similar to what EA Hoffman has stated, my PowerShot A70 has just developed an E18 error message and will no longer function. I purchased this camera in summer 2003, and it has served me well, until now (Jan 2008). I suppose that 4.5 odd years of service is OK for a digital camera, and I was wanting to upgrade to a digital SLR anyway. However if you consider that my X-370 Minolta 35mm film SLR camera has been going strong for about 20 years, with only a few cleaning's required over the years, it does speak to our willingness to accept failure of electronic goods in our increasingly disposable society. Why shouldn't a digital camera remain operational for more than 5 years?

Read 1 Comment

“Recommend to potential buyers: yes ”

Written on: 05/04/2005 by mr blue sky (1 review written)

Recommend to potential buyers: yes

Full review of the Canon PowerShot A70

A brief history of my digital camera fun.

I started about 3 years ago with what was basically a toy digital cam.
    This rubbish, but functional item was bought from a giant Pound land type of superstore for the terminally skint, well, I like a bargain . Buy cheap buy twice as they say!
    It took pictures at a max resolution of 640 x 480, no… Read Full Review

“After the lens cover on the Canon PowerShot A70...”

Written on: 03/03/2004 by skysurfer (2 reviews written)

After the lens cover on the Canon PowerShot A70 jamming a few times, either not closing or not opening it finally fell off!
    Also, when using the Digital camera with gloves on, I obstructed the lens a couple of times by accident when switching it off. This results in an error code and no further function even when cycled off/on. With some manual intervention it could be brought back to life! The picture quality is good. I've got some good pics of lightning using the manual features… Read Full Review

“I upgraded to this Canon PowerShot A 70 digital camera...”

Written on: 18/12/2003 by RickL591 (1 review written)

I upgraded to this Canon PowerShot A 70 digital camera from a Powershot A40. I was never really impressed with the overall picture quality even set at it's best resolution. So after only two months, I have shipped it into Cannon repair and hopefully they can correct the "fuzzy" resolution problem… Read Full Review

Geoff C's Response to RickL591's Review

Written on: 18/02/2004

I know someone with an A-40 (not an old car!) and it is an excellent 2MP camera. The A-70 gets highly recomended - but occasionally it looks soft on its image. For the most, however, it produces very pleasing results (I also know someone with an A-70) hopefully it was something Canon can rectify.

Stevepearce's Response to RickL591's Review

Written on: 10/11/2004

I have owned the A70 for nearly a year now (which kills me when I look at the prices they are at now). Anyway this camera is excellent for the price, weight and size. I use it twice a week every week for work, taking approx. 20 to 30 pictures a week. The quality is good enough to produce pictures of advert items (printed on the Canon 330 printer - a bit expensive but quick and easy and done in a flash - so to speak) - also on the www. so for that side the quality is not so important but needs to be good. I have always been a Nikon man until I borrowed an A70 - went straight out and bought it! Lovely little camera...

Read 2 Comments

“This Canon PowerShot A 70 was my first digital camera...”

Written on: 29/11/2003 by Genghis (2 reviews written)

This Canon PowerShot A 70 was my first digital camera and I did some research to find what would be the best. The A70 came on top, for a 3 million pixel camera, with an adequate zoom capacity. It was a bit bulky, but that was due to he fact that it took standard AA batteries.

I was amazed by the excellent picture quality and just how easy the camera is to use. You have an excellent range of auto functions and you can also do things maually. The video clips are brilliant.

This is a lovely… Read Full Review

Rocketsox's Response to Genghis's Review

Written on: 19/04/2004

Forgive me for saying so, but I really don't think that damage from *dropping(!)* a camera should be covered under warranty, nor should it be grounds for a negative opinion. Yes, I would wear the financial penalty if I dropped mine.

203763_Boogie's Response to Genghis's Review

Written on: 27/07/2005

I've dropped mine - twice on concrete, and once on a tile floor, and it still works like a dream. that the corner is held together by duct tape just adds character!

Oloonat's Response to Genghis's Review

Written on: 19/08/2004

The camera seems pretty durable to me and I'm more than happy to recommend it overall(or any subsequent derivative, eg A75 or A80). Accidental damage is normally covered by your home insurance - check your policy.
    <br>The A70 is a dream to use, a little harsh with the flash sometimes as mentioned by someone else, and should be supplied with a bigger CF card. BUT..for the price it's a great package. Go to ebuyer.co.uk (free delivery) or cclcomputers.co.uk for quality memory cards at cheap prices - buy them in the high street if you want to pay much more.

Genghis's Response to Genghis's Review

Written on: 20/04/2004

I agree that accidental damage is something that should not be covered by a warranty. However I do expect some degree of 'durability' from a camera. I was disappointed that this camera did not survive a soft drop - which may be of some importance to some users.

Read 4 Comments

“I bought this camera recently, quite off hand without...”

Written on: 16/07/2003 by Tony. (1 review written)

I bought this camera recently, quite off hand without doing any research, as I had some bonus dosh and wanted an upgrade from an old Fuji 1.2MP thing.

Shortly after, I decided to learn about manual photography as I rather like taking pictures, and I think my composition is ok. Never understood all that ISO and F.Stop stuff though!!!

I was exceedingly pleased to find, as I plowed thru various books on digital photography, that this little number is incredibly versatile, giving access to manual… Read Full Review

“This is my first digital cam. I did a lot of research...”

Written on: 20/04/2003 by Mahler. (1 review written)

This is my first digital cam. I did a lot of research before getting this Canon PowerShot A70. For all features this camera offers, this is a good deal. I like the manual controls and all other 10 shooting modes for stills. Pictures captured in lowest resolution still give good qualities.
    One negative thing is the compartment doors (for batteries, CF card and cables) look kinda cheap and not closed tight enough though they are shutted already. Compare with S400, A70 is heavy and a bit bulky but… Read Full Review

“This was my first venture into digital photography and...”

Written on: 21/03/2003 by Chris G. (1 review written)

This was my first venture into digital photography and i wanted to start on the cheap (Epson C82 (under £100)) left me with £300 for the camera. I went for the A70 (and a battery charger) after reading some reviews on the web and overall I'm incredibly pleased with the whole package. The images are clear and colourful and printed out at 10x8 you can't fault them. The controls are simple, and yet give the user plenty to 'play' with and experiment with exposures etc. The LCD is great and clear… Read Full Review

Kenn Utterback's Response to Chris G.'s Review