Bionicle Reviews

Bionicle
4.0

Bionicle - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Bionicle

“I'm an avid fan of Bionicle, and when I got the movie...”

written by gerdvondarkmoor on 05/11/2004

I'm an avid fan of Bionicle, and when I got the movie in September I was excited. I watched the movie, and had lots of different reactions. The movie was genuinely overall good, with some okay action and some nice landscape. I liked most of it. But did the actors have to all be Americans? It makes it sound like there's only Americans on Mata Nui, and did the bodies need to be quite so warped? I don't mind the hands, because they're needed, but the mouthes, muscles and eyebrows are unnecessary for the movie. And it would be nice to see a deeper legend, with more references and sub-plots towards the characters.

Sometimes, there were very enjoyable points, like the smooth movements and actions, and the music score was excellent. The bad-guys were really menacing, and almost scared me. The good guys have a great aura of innocence and peace around them, and most of the voices sounded realistically suited. Although the story was pretty basic, it kept well with Bionicle. And at least Lego didn't try to smother us with hundreds of adverts and stuff. They did a very good job of keeping the movie hype-free.

But the whole film just feels too built on the toys. The movie invents nothing very new, and can't really stand on it's own two feet without the toys. That said, considering how badly it COULD have turned out, and that quite a bit of the film was good, I can't be too harsh. Still, I guess that at the end of the day, it's really just a kid's movie based on the toys they buy. 7.5/10