Philips DVD-R880 Reviews

• Sound Quality

Philips DVD-R880 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Philips DVD-R880

☆☆☆☆☆

“Won't record constantly going wrong - even bought a...”

Written on: 12/11/2008 by supertown81 (1 review written)

Won't record constantly going wrong - even bought a second one in hope that could not be as bad - IT WAS.
Philips promised on FIVE ocassions to sent new software CD - again never arrived - will never buy another Philips… Read Full Review

“I don't think the Philips DVD-R880 was worth the £400...”

Written on: 30/08/2008 by DAT1 (1 review written)

I don't think the Philips DVD-R880 was worth the £400 my wife paid for my xmas present… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“Philips have developed a reputation for supplying DVD...”

Written on: 14/12/2006 by tony marshall (1 review written)

Philips have developed a reputation for supplying DVD recorders that fail after only minimal use. My own recorder was used only a dozen times in 3 years before displaying countless error messages and finally giving up the ghost. Philips wanted a minimum payment of £120 just to look at the machine. I decided to throw the machine away and buy a good quality recorder (i.e. not a Philips brand).

Don't waste your money on buying products that are not fit for purpose. Buy anything but don't buy… Read Full Review

Johnnyno3's Response to tony marshall's Review

Written on: 31/12/2006

My Philips DVD-R880 DVD Recorder has also given up the ghost. It just gives a "closed" message on the display, and whatever I try, it's to no avail. I have my eye on a Panasonic DMR-EZ25, which also has built-in preview. I have a Philips DVD player which has been OK, but the 880 is a dog.

Robarm's Response to tony marshall's Review

Written on: 28/10/2008

My Philips 880R also failed after the guarantee ran out and refused to enter into any discussion about what is obviously a faulty product. I am never going to buy anything from Philips ever again and I urge others to do the same.

Johnnyno3's Response to tony marshall's Review

Written on: 09/01/2007

I have just had a phone call form Philips service saying for £81 they will try to fix the Philips DVD-R880 DVD recorder, giving a three months guarantee with it, wow! If that is not extracting the urine, I don't know what is. Needless to say, one will be dumping said 880 in that there skip.

Read 3 Comments

“When I bought the Philips DVD-R880 DVD recorder, I...”

Written on: 17/12/2005 by pav50vert (1 review written)

When I bought the Philips DVD-R880 DVD recorder, I thought because it was made by Philips it would be reliable. I have many Philips products, all with no problems except this heap of rubbish. Yes the notorious Philips DVD-R880. My friend and I both bought one, his started to freeze and stopped recording after about 3 Months, mine lasted a little longer, just out of the year guarantee. During that time it would not play anything off the computer, and still used to give the occasional disc error… Read Full Review

Sheep_Pie's Response to pav50vert's Review

Written on: 21/01/2006

Hi Pav50vert,
<br>Sorry to hear that you have had the same problems with ur DVDR880 as the rest of the world's population.
<br>I don't know if this will cheer you up, but my unit has now worked perfectly since I got it repaired by Philips approx nearly two years ago.
<br>I still think that it is a good product and it serves me well.
<br>I just wish that Philips had tightened up there quality control, and maybe most of us would not have had to go through hell...
<br>Anyway, the price of DVD recorders have now dropped to well under £100, which was not available at the time of the 880 release.
<br>However quality playback will be reduced on these cheap and cheerful recorders, but a great option for people who have never ventured into digital recording.
<br>
<br>Regards Poons

Pav50Vert's Response to pav50vert's Review

Written on: 18/04/2007

Yes, I think it must be a record, in my opinion the only way to make that model last is not to use it, they wanted £85.00 to repair mine, so I did not get it repaired. I&#039;m glad I bought the Panasonic, its still fantastic, most of the time I just use ram disc for speed. I am glad yours is now still working, remember if you ever need a remote for it I have 2 one of which is still in the packet never used.
<br/> regards Peter

Sheep_Pie's Response to pav50vert's Review

Written on: 17/04/2007

Hi Peter,
<br/>Sorry to take so long to reply, but I havent looked at this site for some time.
<br/>Glad to see that u are delighted with ur Panasonic.
<br/>My mother has the same recorder, and I know what u mean by it&#039;s features, as I had to set it up for her.
<br/>Guess what, my "DVDR 880 is still going strong, even after all this time", is this a world record?, LOL.
<br/>
<br/>Regards Poons

Pav50Vert's Response to pav50vert's Review

Written on: 23/01/2006

Hi, thanks for your comment, I went out and bought a Panasonic DMRES 10 DVD Recorder and it is fantastic, I have been using it constantly with no problems. The ram is incredible, you can record something and start watching what you are recording before it finishes recording. It's much faster to operate than the Philips, no waiting for it to start to work. I have contacted Philips and they replied saying that they are sorry but no parts are available for this model, but they would let me know if they became available, that's a cop out, it now sits in its box looking like new with its 2 remotes, yes they put 2 in the box by mistake. So if you know anyone who needs any spares contact me.
<br>Regards Peter

Read 4 Comments

“I have been a long time admirer and buyer of Philips...”

Written on: 02/11/2005 by diddydumdum (1 review written)

I have been a long time admirer and buyer of Philips goods,30yrs or more but after my experience with DVD 880,and may I add, I am not over enthusiastic with the VCR 830 which isn't powerful enough to pull many tapes through and I need to buy only the most expensive tapes to allow it to function,no more Philips for me… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“The Philips DVD-R880 is the worst piece of audiovisual...”

Written on: 28/10/2005 by martincc (1 review written)

The Philips DVD-R880 is the worst piece of audiovisual eqipment I have ever bought. It hangs while recording and does not play back commercial DVDs. I bought about two years ago. Like other reviewers here I blamed dodgy discs during the guarantee year and failed to demand my money back in time. This product was not ready for market. I am not buying Phillips again… Read Full Review

“To start ”

Written on: 09/07/2005 by Paul Lush (1 review written)

To start

DONT EVER BUY ONE OF THESE UNITS

I'll leave it up to you if you want to buy Philips after reading this.

I was given a working unit and it remained that way for a couple of months. After that, it refused to record anything and continually aborted with "DISC ERROR" or "DISK WARNING". Philips know about this and have, in my experience, given people two fingers. They told me that without the exact date of purcahse and proof of purchase, that they would do NOTHING about it, regardless… Read Full Review

“The Philips DVD-R880 machine's worst and most recent...”

Written on: 06/06/2005 by malcolmd (1 review written)

The Philips DVD-R880 machine's worst and most recent fault: when in record mode, it not only fails but wipes everything else already on the disc. It has been a pain to use from new and now, at two years old, it will only playback discs it has previously recorded. Other discs either stick or are not recognised… Read Full Review

“Like many on this forum, I have had a Philips 880 DVD...”

Written on: 04/06/2005 by peterwhitehead (1 review written)

Like many on this forum, I have had a Philips 880 DVD recorder for about 18 months, and it does seem to have a built in obsolescence (but then all digital technology has to keep people updating it!). I frequently get 'No Disc' or 'Unknown data contained on this disc', and jumping sections of chapters with discs that work perfectly well in other machines. Sure, the picture quality and sound quality are fine, but if the disc wont play then what good is that? I also find the remote painfully slow… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“My Philips DVD-880 developed a fault, not reading...”

Written on: 20/05/2005 by Andyw35 (1 review written)

My Philips DVD-880 developed a fault, not reading disks, skipping chapters etc just weeks after the two year mark.
To be honest it always struggled to read some disks but I foolishly blamed the disks.
After many fruitless conversations with Philips, they flatly refused to look at it despite me showing them scores of reviews of the same problem.
Finally after speaking to trading standards, Comet agreed to look at the recorder and we agreed that they would replace the Laser and not charge for the… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“My Mother-in-law bought a Philips DVD-R880 at great...”

Written on: 13/04/2005 by Lisa J (1 review written)

My Mother-in-law bought a Philips DVD-R880 at great expense for her terminally ill husband for Christmas 2002. Following his death in September 2003 she gave it to us and we have had so many problems trying to get it to play pre-recorded DVDs - it just keeps saying "no disk". On trying to record with it having followed instructions it just says "no signal". Having read the reviews I understand that it is not us doing something wrong. We gave away a perfectly reliable DVD player which had cost… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“As with everyone else, I found the Philips DVD-R880...”

Written on: 23/02/2005 by Annoyed (2 reviews written)

As with everyone else, I found the Philips DVD-R880 failed on reliability and inflexible customer service… Read Full Review

Annoyed's Response to Annoyed's Review

Written on: 24/02/2005

Along with the brick bats for the inflexable and rude customer service advisors, I must praise the managing director and his secretary at Guildford, who resolved the problems I have had with my machine, very courteously and quickly. It's a shame they are being let down by their very poor customer service advisors, who I would suggest are in need of a course in customer relations.

Read 1 Comment
☆☆☆☆☆

“The Philips DVD R880 provided good quality pictures...”

Written on: 28/11/2004 by hughalban (1 review written)

The Philips DVD R880 provided good quality pictures whilst it worked. After 2 years won't play any pre-recored DVDs, just says 'No Disc'. I agree with all the other reviews. Don't buy this DVD player, it's expensive junk. I await to see whether Phillips will repair it free out of the warranty period. Perhaps a reference to the office of Fair Trading as being a machine unfit for purpose would help.

Recommended:
No… Read Full Review

“Well, what can I say, my DVDR880 had the same fate as...”

Written on: 10/11/2004 by sheep_pie (9 reviews written)

Well, what can I say, my DVDR880 had the same fate as everyone elses listed in these review pages.
Yes "No Disk", "Freezing on playback", "Jumping chapters", often not playing discs back at all, and the front flourescent display doing some strange things just to name a few.
My unit started playing up when nine months into the warranty,(predictable) but then was okay again. Leading up to the end of the manufacturer's warranty, the recorder just wouldn't play full stop. The unit went back to… Read Full Review

Sheep_Pie's Response to sheep_pie's Review

Written on: 11/04/2005

Just to feedback on my last two reviews of the DVDR880.
<br><br>After many months and constant usage the unit is functioning now as it should.
<br><br>The only thing that I find annoying about the 880 is that it doesn't like playing back certain brands of blank DVD+R media after recording to disk by using other equipment, whether branded or unbranded.
<br><br>However after trying several brands of disc, the 880 plays back Mr DVD discs with no trouble at all, and these can be purchased quite cheaply from well known supermarkets.
<br><br>Please note that blank media of most types will record and play back when using the 880.
<br><br>Poons

Sheep_Pie's Response to sheep_pie's Review

Written on: 06/11/2006

"Update" Just to say that my Philips DVD-R880 DVD recorder is still going strong after all this time, with no playback or recording problems.
<br/>
<br/>Poons

Read 2 Comments
☆☆☆☆☆

“Paid a ridiculous amount of money for my Philips DVD...”

Written on: 04/11/2004 by ianh79 (1 review written)

Paid a ridiculous amount of money for my Philips DVD R880 in Nov 02 but was really impressed. Good picture, good sound. I could even work the timer.

Fast forward 2 years and it's not so good. Pretty bad really. Not one single pre-recorded DVD will play. No Disc. No Disc. No Disc. My 4-old (and almost 1/4 of the price) PS2 sits there laughing at it.

Tried Philips Customer services - took the women 10 minutes to say in 50 different ways that it is not their problem, that if I had reported it… Read Full Review

“I have had my Philips DVD R880 into the shop for...”

Written on: 29/10/2004 by markhopski (1 review written)

I have had my Philips DVD R880 into the shop for repairs 3 times in 15 months and now it again is struggling to read disks (it will not read dvds, but will read cds and recordable dvds!). This has happened twice before (the other problem was video output was not working). Will Philips replace it - heck no! How can that be - not a happy customer and now am ready to go buy a Panasonic and junk this one out the window!!… Read Full Review

“I bought mine just after they were released and it was...”

Written on: 27/10/2004 by nicholast (1 review written)

I bought mine just after they were released and it was used quit a lot but then it was left alone as the PS2 came out in the last few months it has been used again (or I have tried to use it)
Lots of disc errors I.E. no disk, disk error, etc.
I have spoken to Philips and they sent an upgrade software disk but this has not cured the problem. Also the front AV ports for cameras (cam 1) is now not working as this was used with the PS2 it was plugged in to DVDR for surround sound on games not… Read Full Review

“When I decied to replace my VHS with the latest in DVD...”

Written on: 24/09/2004 by sonofdurell (1 review written)

When I decied to replace my VHS with the latest in DVD recording technology, I initially thought it was a good move. The first 12 months of the R880 were trouble free, but nowdays, maybe 18 months after purchase, it won't play many pre-recorded DVDs. Sometimes the movie will jerk from one chapter to another, or simply freeze up. Sometimes it will just annoyingly say 'No Disc'. At first I thought it was dirty or scratched discs, until I tried them in my PC, PS2 or any cheap supermarket player… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“I bought the Philips DVD 880 recorder 18 months ago...”

Written on: 13/09/2004 by billyboy1 (1 review written)

I bought the Philips DVD 880 recorder 18 months ago and have had nothing but trouble. It has been back for repair 3 times, and it is still developing faults. First it wouldn't read pre-recorded dvd's and now it will not recognise any disc placed in the drive! I've had quite enough of this and am preparing to spend my hard earned cash on a replacement machine - it won't be from Philips either!… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“After being given the Philips DVD R880 from my Dad, I...”

Written on: 02/08/2004 by emmaloulou (1 review written)

After being given the Philips DVD R880 from my Dad, I bought a nice little collection of DVD's only to find that only one of them played. Everytime I put a DVD in, it would not read it and tell me there was no disk in the tray. I took it to a shop and they told me that the laser was probably broken and it would cost between £50 and £100 to fix. I now have a Pacific and for £30 from ASDA it is fab. DO NOT BUY THE PHILIPS!!!… Read Full Review