Ellesmere Port, Blue Planet Aquarium Reviews

2.1

Ellesmere Port, Blue Planet Aquarium - Ask a question now

“Our children enjoy it here”

written by LiamBobbyJo on 17/02/2018

Our children have loved going to the Blue Planet since they were very small. We go a couple of times a year, our fish and shark mad son would go more, the only thing stopping us is the price. It is very expensive for a family of five to attend. There is a good amount of fish and other things to see. We were really upset last time we went as this big black fish (like the one on Nemo) ate another fish which upset my youngest. Maybe they shouldn't put fish that each other in the same tank. Other than that we do like it there and it's a good trip for a couple of hours, we combine it with going to Cheshire Oaks for shopping.

“Really enjoyed it”

written by PMCBETH on 30/12/2013

Visited yesterday 29th December 2013 and had a great time. We have visited many Sealife centres and this was a good one. So glad I didn't take any notice of the negative reviews. All the animals looked good the sharks were awesome. Loved the travelator in the glass tunnel. Restaurant had a great feature of portholes that you could see the fishes through while enjoying a snack. The food side could be improved but is no worse than I have experienced elsewhere in places such as this. My son loved the remote camera in the foyer where he was able to follow the sharks.

“Expensive, poor value and service”

written by on 19/02/2013

I visited just yesterday, coming off £60 lighter for the privilege of myself and my daughters visiting, I also had a toddler with me who just luckily made the height barrier for free entry or it would have been even more costly. The entrance fee is crazy enough but to be stung at the end by a parking fee, really does leave you with a sour taste. As with the similar visitor this month, I assumed when entering the car park it was to prevent shoppers using it, not as a way to removed further funds from visitors, and to make the cost greater the longer you try and stay and enjoy the attraction the more it costs you! It is simply disgusted, when I expressed my feelings politely to the young lady on the ticket office and advised I sore no warning of the same when I came in, I got the answer! It does! Not clearly that is for sure .. her response to this was to ignore me totally and say nothing more! Apparently as a paying customer my thoughts were not worthy of a reply. Which clearly added to my disgust? The food ok when we got it, but so slow in service the place was not even busy for holidays, poor choice for such a big venue with no menu as such to view, just screens promoting meal deals! The show for the shark and big tank feed was short and not very informative. They spend more time on telling us what the divers are wearing and not enough on the info about the fish etc in the tank which is clearly why people are visiting. The tunnel is great but that literally is it the rest of the place looks tired, dark and dull with very little in terms of interest for people. I am not the sort of person who would normally even right a review but as was so angry after leaving, I can confident say 100% that I will not be, not with anyone I speak with be returning.

Lisakehoe's Comment

Written on: 30/06/2017

Fell the same myself nothing there 60 for me my husband and two under 5

“blue planet is fantastic”

written by on 17/02/2013

i went to blue planet with my family and it was a fantastic day out there was lots of thing to see and do its great value for money and the customer service is warm and friendly they offer a huge rang of products and services like the

“Terrible”

written by on 10/11/2012

Paid £31 for two adults and was round in 20minutes. Sharks are good to look at for ten minutes but after that its boring. Drive 10 minutes down the road to chester zoo and have a full day of looking at the animals for a cheaper price!!

“Not exciting, over priced and only lasts an hour??”

written by on 07/06/2012

I think most here have covered what I thought of my experience! I thought I was alone thinking when I got to the end, did I miss something? I tried to backtrack, but it turns out there just isn't much to see? I can't stress enough saying don't go, the prices they charge are a disgrace!! I could've gone with my wife to Chester Zoo for the same price, and last time I went I couldn't get round the Zoo in a day there is so much to see! In contrast Blue Planet is an hour tops, so they're effectively charging £15.50 an hour?!?! Insane!!

“WASTE OF MY TIME AND MONEY”

written by on 27/04/2012

I had gone to this aquarium with my college class as this is a part of our exam for travel and tourism. When we had got there, not only were the tickets too overpriced, the woman working on the tills at the reception had such a foul mouth and face. She was called Steph and kept on rolling her eyes at us in disgrace as if she was so much better. She talked with such attitude to us and wasn't helpful in the slightest. When we got into the aquarium (20 minutes later) the whole place was too old and nothing was modernised. There weren't that many fish to be fair either. We only found that there was one show on, which was for toddlers so didn't meet our needs there either. When we found out there was a venom area full of spiders and snakes we were happier but then when we went to look at it, there was only one spider there and two/three snakes. Wen to buy food, it costed £6.90 for chicken nuggets and chips which didnt even look nice, Would reccommend taking own food as prices are ridiculas!! Total waste of time and let down to go. Would much rather go pets at home. Do not go and waste your money or time with this company.

Bigjohn77's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2012

I totally agree with the above review, went with my wife and two children it cost us a little over £50 to get into the aquarium and another £25 for some severely over priced food. The children's meals cost £4.50 each, for the money the kids got 2 greasy fish fingers a few chips and a tiny soft drink, the adult meals were no better quality or value at £6.70 each. Total waste of money much more fun to go to Chester zoo and roughly the same cost, the owners should be ashamed of themselves.

“blue planet aquarium good place to go ”

written by on 10/10/2011

i think that the blue planet aquarium is a good place to go for all ages and is a fun place to go i thought the shop was a little dear and the food to overall i had a good time

Bigjohn77's Comment

Written on: 05/06/2012

are you related to the owners?

“What a waste of money. ”

written by on 16/10/2010

What a waste of money.
Dirty smelly tatty dump.

Sad as it could be made nice.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

“It is a complete rip off!! ”

written by cheyaura on 02/09/2010

It is a complete rip off!!

I mean the fish and the amphibians etc are really interesting but we managed to complete the whole place and have a good look at everything within 45 minutes!!! That means that we spent £49 and didn't even get a day out!!

Bigjohn77's Response to cheyaura's Review

Written on: 05/06/2012

“absolute waste of money, cost us £50 all in all to get...”

written by sparkyy22 on 29/04/2010

absolute waste of money, cost us £50 all in all to get there and get in, just two adults and one three year old.. bored after an hour, nothin there worth seeing. poorley set out.. rip off!!! would give it minus 5 stars if I could!!!

“ ”

written by on 20/03/2010

This was biggest waste of money. The Aquarium was small, badly organised with a really poor restaraunt. The food was cold, overcooked and dry and cost an arm and a leg.

Seriously, don't waste your time and money.

“Very overpriced and not many attractions and if you...”

written by on 03/03/2010

Very overpriced and not many attractions and if you have a tall 2 yr old child as I do, it means paying over £10 for the pleasure. We spent a total of an hour there, my little one was a bit freaked out after a while so it was an expensive visit.
Not that much to look at really and spent a lot of time waiting for 1 tiny lift to get my buggy around.
The food offering was disgraceful, as long as you wanted chips it was fine but no baby food and nothing suitable for younger kids. Take your own packed lunch.
I did write to complain to blue planet but totally fobbed off by their customer services department so clearly not interested in feedback.
I'd recommend anyone to go Chester Zoo instead, don't even consider Blue Planet as you'll be disappointed.

“visited the aquarium yesterday. and i never write...”

written by on 02/03/2010

visited the aquarium yesterday. and i never write reviews on things - but the state that this place is in made me want to stop other people from going. it costs almost £13 for concessions (i am a student) which is a terrible price for the amount of attractions and time you spend there. about 5 attractions were not in use when we went, and the signage is terrible. we spent about an hour there in total, and we went around twice! (in an attempt to find an area that we may have missed).

the photos you see on the internet look great but they don't really pick up the condition of the place, such as the numerous abrasions and scratches on the glass which make it hard to see through.

the gift shop is stocked to the brim (with things that aren't even associated with the aquarium)...maybe they should consider spending some of that money on making new or better attractions.

on the other hand the staff were really nice and friendly. i guess most of these issues are due to management decisions.

seriously, don't go. maybe try the blackpool sealife centre instead?

“Just been to Blue Planet and will not be returning. ...”

written by on 16/02/2010

Just been to Blue Planet and will not be returning. Went a few years ago and it has gone down hill!! Over priced and not worth the money at all. making people have their photo taken the minute you walk in, just a shamless attempt and getting even more money out of you. You have to pay if you have a tall kids regardless of their age, shocking, and £10.95 for a 3 year old is disgraceful. The whole place is looking tired and grubby and needs money spent on it. Some of it was under development, they should look and making the whole place look better before adding new exhibits.

better spending your money at the zoo, at least you get a whole day out there just a couple of hours !!!!!

“visited Blue Planet Aquarium today and whilst the...”

written by on 25/09/2009

visited Blue Planet Aquarium today and whilst the actual aquarium features were wonderful being a self confessed fish freak, the overall day....or should i say hour, was very dissapointing. time in until the exit was an hour and that was including 15 mins food break. the exibitions/ tanks were beautiful and some of the fish on display were breath taking. the tunnel was amazing with sharks, rays and all manner of underwater beauts. the food however from the restaurant was OVERPRICED and vile. a chicken burger and chips was a shade under £6 and i had to return it as the limp excuse for food looked like it had been pulled out of the sea itself. my ham salad baguette lay uneaten as the bread was soggy, the ham was hideous and the salad was limp, discoloured and inedible. the staff at the restaurant also seemed to look at me like id asked them to fry up a shark when i returned the b"eurgh"er. overall the Blue planet AQUARIUMS 5 STARS. blue planet aquarium overall 2 stars and they are simply because i loved seeing the fish. overall cost for 2 adults travelling public transport from manchester was £67 so i dare say it was a lot for an hours worth of aquariums.

“ Blue Planet Aquarium, expensive entrance fees, they...”

written by on 02/09/2009

Blue Planet Aquarium, expensive entrance fees, they say if your child is under 95 cm,s tall they can go in for free, well that did not apply to my 3 year old daughter, she need to pay the full child price, so for a family of four i got stung for £48.00 - ouch , i didnt buy any food, but i noticed that tea was £1.35 a cup , food looked expensine and rubbish , and the eating area looked messy.

“Blue Planet Aquarium was a seriously overpriced day...”

written by on 21/08/2009

Blue Planet Aquarium was a seriously overpriced day for us as a small family!!! It only took us two hours to complete then we were going round in circles to try to make us feel like we had value for money. Healthy food was very overpriced, but if you want cheap junk food you're ok! Only one lift for disabled/buggies which broke (staff did not seem bothered by this!) and advised us to carry the child in buggy up and down the stairs - not very helpful. take my advice and go to Chester zoo instead - even if it is raining you will find far more to do there.

“A nice half day if you take your time and have food...”

written by jonny harris on 10/08/2009

A nice half day if you take your time and have food there a bit expencive £14.50 adults and £10.50 for kids, the food wasent bad priced. The best bit was the theatre and the under water tunnel i just wanted to go round and round. There is an outside bit with a play area for kids but you have to go through the gift shop to get to it. Overall a good day out at Blue Planet Aquarium.

“ I was very disappointed in this visit to be totally...”

written by on 24/07/2009

I was very disappointed in this visit to be totally honest, it was a very expensive hour, which was the time that we spent going around everything within there.
The cost was £14.50 per adult & £10.50 per child, total for us £35.50. If your child is under 95cms then they get in free, however if you have a vey tall 2 year old which I do then you still have to pay a full child place for them, my son is 96cms, so £10.50 for the sake of a cm I think is a bit harsh, what happened to age appropriate?
The tunnel was the highlight of this attraction however took around 10mins to get through it...
Your money be well spent going to see other attractions in this area such as Chester Zoo, which is definately a Full day out & well worth the entrance fee.
I would definately not return to the Blue Planet Aquarium & would not recommend this to any of my friends, infact I would be more inclined to advise people to steer clear, unless they reviewed the prices to accommodate the far from fun 'day' out..