Apple iBook G3 Reviews

• Battery Life

Apple iBook G3 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Apple iBook G3

Apple iBook G3

“It's just good. Buy it please. You'll like it, I...”

Written on: 21/02/2011 by runninroun2rero (1 review written)

It's just good… Read Full Review

“I seriously think this laptop is a piece of s**t you...”

Written on: 03/04/2010

I seriously think this laptop is a piece of s**t you can't download any apps like limewire or games and the
Video quility sucks I can't watch a video on youtube because is so slow that I just end up getting mad and exitting the page the battery worked fine at first but now as soon as I unplug it from the chager it goes from 100 to 0 in not even 5 mins.... I always had sony, hp or dell I don't know what I was thinking about when I bought this laptop you can't even do nothing in it but browse… Read Full Review

“Awesome design. The PowerPC G3 handles almost as much...”

Written on: 06/07/2008 by CarlNygren (3 reviews written)

Awesome design. The PowerPC G3 handles almost as much as the G4s, AltiVec and Core Animation excluded.

Nice keyboard. Decent screen. AirPort (WLAN).
Great battery life!

Decent graphics card. However, lid gets scratched easily.
Easily develops the Logic Board Failure of Death that also manages to burn a huge hole in your wallet.

12 inch model has low resolution - only 1024x768.

Not supported by Leopard - even the 1 GHz model is unsupported. Great value, a good budget notebook… Read Full Review

“The Apple iBook G3 is a recommend laptop by me, infact...”

Written on: 23/01/2008

The Apple iBook G3 is a recommend laptop by me, infact it's the best laptop I know of as its great for running the 10.3 panther! Which laptop runs it better? Infact the only negative point I can make is that this Apple laptop can get quite hot and because its quite heavy this can be a bad point. Plus it needs more RAM please!… Read Full Review

“I've had my 900(mhz) ibook g3 for about six month0s...”

Written on: 29/12/2007

I've had my 900(mhz) ibook g3 for about six month0s and Ive never been happier with any of my other laptops. My previous laptops had been a (Sony Vaio, and a Dell Inspiron) Please do not hezitate to get any sort of apple computer… Read Full Review

“The Apple iBook G3 is a great Mac. I've had mine from...”

Written on: 28/01/2006 by forevermac (1 review written)

The Apple iBook G3 is a great Mac. I've had mine from secondhand for over 2 years without a problem. We sell secondhand versions of these like hotcakes. People love them, especially the old clamshell versions, because they're bomb-proof. The 500mHz version has some issues, but the latest version have had these problems ironed out. Apple are now producing G4 versions which are even faster. Screens are vivid and crisp, good feel to the keyboard, and responsive track-pad. Need to run OS… Read Full Review

“The Apple iBook G3 laptop is a perfect machine to work...”

Written on: 20/01/2006 by Roryage1 (1 review written)

The Apple iBook G3 laptop is a perfect machine to work on! It has smooth edges, and has no protruding bits to snag/catch/break (apart from the CD tray, but this comes out about a centimetre from the actual laptop itself so you can pull it out yourself).

The software is excellent, except if you are a PC user like me, you might want to buy Microsoft Office for Mac which has MSN, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Entourage. I got this for £12 including P+P on eBay!! The one button near the touchpad is… Read Full Review

Runninroun2Rero's Response to Roryage1's Review

Written on: 21/02/2011

I found this review very helpful because...
<br/>Okay. I wanna make one thing clear. You are amazing. Good job switching from windoze.
<br/>Secondly, this is exactly what I was looking for: an honest review for the iBook g3. I Want to buy one factory refurbished, but I'm not quite sure what I'm getting
<br/>I think I should buy one, but Im not sure. I only have one question. Where can I buy Mac OS X Tiger? Like Ebay or Amazon?

Read 1 Comment

“In general, this is a very productive business and...”

Written on: 31/07/2004 by chuckhawley (2 reviews written)

In general, this is a very productive business and home computer. While I had some initial hardware problems, the iBook is relatively crash-free, and the software is beautifully written. I have never cracked a manual to learn about any of the programs written for OS-X. However, the actual shell of the computer, hinges, CD drive and other aspects are frighteningly frail, and I can see cracks radiating from the fasteners in the screen area. Apple charges an extraordinary amount for serivce, so… Read Full Review

“All, ”

Written on: 04/03/2004 by hLarry (1 review written)

All,

We've been Apple iBook G3 users for years and have several laptops networked in our office, with a few lonely PCs. They all work fine, but the Mac, overall, is far better than the PCs.

We are a print shop so graphics, and handling large files are important and the Mac does it fine. However, the PC is not horribly behind and have a PC server for a few applications, too. We also use PCs for a few business (non graphic) apps, and they're hanging in there.

Bottom line, however, we'ed… Read Full Review

“Was persuaded to try mac after years of PC using -...”

Written on: 09/11/2003 by Thing (1 review written)

Was persuaded to try mac after years of PC using - thanks to the Apple iBook G3I am now completely converted. Absolutely delighted by iBook and mac OSX - am about to upgrade to G4 model!!!… Read Full Review

“The design of the Apple iBook is smart. There are no...”

Written on: 05/01/2003 by Alastair. (1 review written)

The design of the Apple iBook is smart. There are no notches, switches (apart from the lid release switch) or catches which could potentially break or get snagged on anything. The battery is released by means of inserting a coin into a rotating switch, which seems sensible. However, it is disappointing that the battery door on mine does not perfectly line up with the chassis, which seems rather clumsy.

All iBooks are manufactured in the colour 'snow', which is unordodox, but doesn't appear… Read Full Review

82332_Morgan.'s Response to 62526_Alastair.'s Review

Written on: 23/03/2003

I am somewhat disappointed in my iBook G3. The speakers are terrible, and the battery life is not as advertised. There is no floppy drive, so small text files must be burned to CD. A removeable floppy would have been nice to have. For the money I spent on this laptop, I expected much more out of it. This one will go to the wife to play with since she just emails and surfs, and I'll get an AMD processor based laptop with Windows and Office XP for real work. For the same money I could have bought a PC based laptop that blows this one away. Before you Mac fans jump me, I've run a 33 iMac network with a G4 server for two years. I should have known better.

Arnold4's Response to 62526_Alastair.'s Review

Written on: 16/04/2004

Hello,
<br>Im looking at the Apple iBook (PowerPC G3, 800 MHz). I am not really a computer expert. I just want a computer with good word processing capabilities, and a compact, easy-to-transport design. I will mostly be using it to take notes in my classes. I have a USB portable file storage device, so I'm not too worried about not having a floppy.
<br>At a little over 700$, this computer seems like a good buy. Would any of you suggest anything different?
<br>Thank you for your help.
<br>Mo

Loo Loo's Response to 62526_Alastair.'s Review

Written on: 08/03/2004

Morgan: I have to agree with you about the lack of floppy drive. I also am a mac-fan, I\'m on my fourth or fifth mac in XX years, and I do find it a pain in the neck that the iMacs/iBooks can\'t accomodate these drives. At work, I can\'t transfer pc files to my iMac unless I email them...what a hassle!!!! Apart from that blip, my iBook is fantastic - so much work has come out that baby. Highly recommended, fine machines.

Manolisk's Response to 62526_Alastair.'s Review

Written on: 06/09/2003

iBook 500 user. Great. Performance is good even with OS X, Office and Photoshop. Screen is great, battery life 3-4 hours. Software is outstanding- AppleWorks (big fan, would like an upgrade), iPhoto, iTunes, etc. No crashes, no files to configure, no viruses...
<br>
<br>No plans to change platform.

93354_Pyld.'s Response to 62526_Alastair.'s Review

Written on: 29/04/2003

I have no performance problems on mine, I don't use mac os x much so that might be why. Most of the time I run debian gnu/linux on it. So far I have only positive stuff to say about this computer..
<br>good battery capacity( compared to pc's ), nice to carry around( i have the 12 model ).
<br>
<br>who uses the speakers anyway? speakers cannot be good due to the size anyway.. it is just a crude way to use a FEW times if several people need to listen at the same time.
<br>
<br>A perfect computer for a cs student/computer enthusiast!

84214_Alastair.'s Response to 62526_Alastair.'s Review

Written on: 29/03/2003

I would have to admit that the speakers are absolutely hopeless. I always use headphones with mine.
<br>
<br>However, I would say that in terms of performance, it seems to compare very well to anything in that price range. A friend of mine has a late model Compaq worth only slightly less than my iBook, yet the iBook beats the socks off it. Of course, your mileage may vary.

84031_Morgan.'s Response to 62526_Alastair.'s Review

Written on: 28/03/2003

Of course I've heard of USB drives. Do I want to carry one around? No, I don't. Pen drives are nice. They're great if you can connect them to another computer. Not too cool for students, for example, that need to transport small text files. Sorry, but not all my students can afford pen drives. Apple and others may say that floppies are dead, but it sure is a great way to force you to buy very expensive peripherals as opposed to a 35 cent floppy, isn't it? I have 31 iBooks and 33 iMacs on a G4 server, and I know EXACTLY what Apple's shortcomings are. There are 18 techs in the District running Mac networks, and every one of us have had to find a way to get a USB drive. Try using that with 31 students wanting to copy a file and take it home. The lack of a floppy is, in my opinion, a design flaw.

83908_Kyle.'s Response to 62526_Alastair.'s Review

Written on: 28/03/2003

You should not blame the fact that you still use floppies on apple...and this does not force you to burn small files to CD! Ever heard of usb drives? Diskonkey etc are now really cheap, hold many many times the data, are more reliable etc.

Read 8 Comments