Screwfix Reviews - www.screwfix.co.uk

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“Poor staff attitude ”

Written on: 12/08/2021

I have been using screwfix for 17 years plus and been in construction for 35 years and have spent thousands with them. However: When you online order and pay online they text you a unique order number. For years, I've forwarded the order confirmation to my wife for her to collect order as I'm so busy working. With that confirmation and unique number there's never been any issues with collection, until today, at Lancaster store. Inconsistent as today we need payment card, never asked before… Read Full Review

“Do not stock even simple tools.”

Written on: 15/06/2017 by brakenoodle (32 reviews written)

All I wanted was ONE single Phillips screwdriver. Not a rarely used, obscure imperial sized tool but probably one of the most common tools in any tool box, anywhere. I went into a Screwfix and was told that single Screwdrivers have to be ordered on a 'next day' basic. I was speechless! We are talking about a Phillips screwdriver! They were happy to sell me a screwdriver set from stock but this is not what I wanted. Obviously, I left and got my screw driver elsewhere, off the shelf. Silly policy… Read Full Review

Duke_Nukem's Response to brakenoodle's Review

Written on: 06/02/2018

Phillips screwdivers and screws are deprecated these days. For one thing the driver rides out of the screwhead as the torque increases (amazingly this is a deliberate feature). Pozidriv is the prefered standard, at least in Europe.

Read 1 Comment

“Rip Off Merchants”

Written on: 27/05/2016 by sleeves (10 reviews written)

I have to agree with recent reviews about this company. Today I came across Gorilla Glue which is manufactured in America and is a class product. I checked Screwfix for availability and price. £14..99 inc vat. for a 250ml bottle. For piece of mind decided to check EBay. To my surprise EBay companies are selling the exact product and size for £7.79. I stopped shopping with Screwfix recently after I phoned them to ask if they would do a price comparison. I was in the market for a Evolution Rage… Read Full Review

Annoyed65's Response to sleeves's Review

Written on: 19/10/2016

If an item is cheaper elsewhere why not just buy from the cheaper company ?

Sleeves's reply to Annoyed65's Comment

Written on: 19/10/2016

Thats exactly what I did. The comment was to let others know its cheaper elsewhere. Before I purchase I search for the cheapest. After all, this is a review ceentre.

Duke_Nukem's Response to sleeves's Review

Written on: 29/05/2017

You queried my earlier comment that Screwfix were the cheapest place to buy around my area (which is true), but you are comparing with eBay and Amazon. Yes, most stuff is cheaper by on-line ordering and I do get a lot of stuff that way, especially with CPC. But I was comparing like-with-like, and if you are eg in the middle of a plumbing job and need more pipe, you cannot wait for an on-line order to arrive. There are also fraudsters on eBay and Amazon I've found, and returning wrong stuff they send you is not always easy or possible. OTOH Screwfix are happy to refund surplus/unwanted stuff even if correctly supplied, no questions.

Read 3 Comments

“Titan battery power tools from Screwfix”

Written on: 17/11/2014 by chrismill (1 review written)

As a DiY enthusiast, I have a range of tools. The cheaper end of the scale are my Titan tools,in the main I have found them to be fine it they are mains powered and for occasional use. I purchased a battery powered drill which worked well for just under a year, then a battery would not hold any charge. This was followed a short time later by the other battery. Unfortunately I reported the problem 2 weeks over the 1 year warranty and was told that Screwfix DO NOT SELL SPARE BATTERIES FOR… Read Full Review

Annoyed65's Response to chrismill's Review

Written on: 06/01/2015

Titan have a 2 year warrenty - check the item you bought online it will show as an additional picture at the bottom.

Chrismillican's reply to Annoyed65's Comment

Written on: 06/01/2015

Thank you for your reply. But I had spoken/emailed several people at screwfix, who would not extend the 1 year, even by a week. Believe me, I tried

Annoyed65's reply to Chrismillican's Comment

Written on: 08/01/2015

What product did you buy ? do you have the product code ?

Annoyed65's reply to Annoyed65's Comment

Written on: 08/01/2015

Just to add both Titan and Erbauer are Screwfix own range and both have a 2 year warranty as standard.

Chrismillican's reply to Annoyed65's Comment

Written on: 08/01/2015

I was told by several Screwfix personnel including a manager who took on my complaint over the phone. That the guarantee was for one year only, I informed him that I was not happy and was going to inform others of the problems I had encountered.
I have now thrown away the receipt and battery drill, no I do not have the product code. The item has been replaced by a similar, newer model. I have now purchased a Bosh, I can buy spare parts for it and only paid about £40 more than a Titan. I hope this will last a lot longer than a Titan battery product

Duke_Nukem's Response to chrismill's Review

Written on: 24/03/2016

Inability to buy spares is a common problem with cheap Chinese stuff, not specific to Screwfix. It is the cheap Chinese business model - when it breaks you are supposed to go back and buy another. In the DiY world many people don't use their tools enough (or know enough about tools) to discover what rubbish they are. But their business model works as long as people are drawn to the lower price and don't complain. It's hard to complain to the maker anyway unless you can speak Chinese and don't mind the long distance call charge.

Read 6 Comments

“Screwfix, dont sell sink fixings!!”

Written on: 28/04/2014 by dmb1 (2 reviews written)

Why list an item on there website which they dont sell anymore and in my case its sink fixings lol, for a company thats called screwfix i think its quiet funny! Anyway off to B&Q then… Read Full Review

“Tried to palm me off with secindhand goos!”

Written on: 27/01/2014

I just popped into my local Screwfix in Kidderminster. I had reseved two F clamps. On inspection I noticed that the packaging on one of them had been opened and found that the internal packaging was missing. There was dirt on the handle, suggesting that it had been used. They didn't have any more, so I asked about a discount - they offered just 10% off. 10& discount for secondhand goods - I think not!… Read Full Review

“BE CAREFUL ABOUT A UNFLEXIBLE DELIVERY SERVICE”

Written on: 20/01/2014 by Pollonpri (1 review written)

It is ridiculous you cannot change or delete an order, even after seconds! I have changed address few months a go and I have made an order on the screwfix website, I have changed my address, but for some reasons it kept the new address only as delivery address. So the order was placed on the wrong delivery address. I called immediately to change it, but I was told it was impossible as the order will have to be delivered to the wrong address first and just afterwards I will be able to arrange a… Read Full Review

“Can be pricey and after sales service not great”

Written on: 02/12/2013 by JohnnyCyprus (2 reviews written)

I have bought many items from the Screwfix website over a few years, mainly because it saves me from having to drive around looking for various things that I need for my DIY activity. They do have a reasonable range for most of my requirements, so it is mainly about convenience. However I have found lately that the competition often better now, with more choice and better prices. The last item I purchases was a professional battery operated vacuum cleaner for cleaning up after jobs. It… Read Full Review

“Not easy and not flexible ”

Written on: 28/06/2013

I wanted to order some things for some work going on at my house. I thought i would place the order from work and my builder can go pick it up. They dont allow this as the card holder has to be present, even though i have a long account history with them because of 'fraud'. Seems stupid as all other online order then collect services do this eg, tesco, johnlewis etc. They also refuse to reserve the order and they pay cash on collection. They should at least offer this to regular customers… Read Full Review

Annoyed65's Comment

Written on: 04/12/2013

it does actually state when ordering that the card has to be presented and verifiyed-

Nerav21's Comment

Written on: 04/12/2013

I ordered in store then had to go back twice, once to a different store and once to the same store. Was not mentioned to me then.

Annoyed65's Comment

Written on: 04/12/2013

you dont need your card to verify if ordering in store you would have had your reciept

Nerav21's Comment

Written on: 04/12/2013

well thats not what they said to me. Maybe the staff didnt know

Read 4 Comments

“The missing Radiator.”

Written on: 14/09/2012

Ordered 8 radiators on line only to have delivered 7 by one person sub contractor who asked for help to unload van.My wife assisted with the delivery and noted the packaging falling of the radiators.When I arrived home 1 rad missing after a phone call missing rad was 100 miles away and said that they would get it re delivered in three days.Guess what after a further phone call they now have NO CLUE AS TO ITS LOCATION.They have taken my money quickly enough and my wife now has a bad back,the… Read Full Review

“Shop soiled tools”

Written on: 21/08/2012 by DeeA (1 review written)

I ordered a Erbauer from a local store and had to get a friend to pick it up. I saw that the box had been knocked about and tampered with. I contacted the local store and spoke with the manager and found him to be unprofessional and very unhelpful. He said that it was not unusual to repackage items that were on the shop floor and sell it on. I told him that by advertising goods on the shop floor for customers would be classed as shop soiled and should not be sold to customers as new and that… Read Full Review