Renault RX4 1.9DCi Reviews

• Practicality

• Reliability

Renault RX4 1.9DCi - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Renault RX4 1.9DCi

“best Renault rx4 4x4 iv driven out of all models”

written by HUNTING-PORGATORY on 06/09/2023

i gave this car a chance in 2001, and to be honest it was absolutely brilliant. the drivers position was great the seats were leather, and very comfortable you sat high up. very comfortable to drive, the steering was amazing, it felt like you was apart of the vehicle. very smooth gear change, drivers arm rest was great on them long drives, and the 4x4 wasn't bad at all. driving over muddy fields was easy, even up steep hills it didn't slide. the 40-60 drive chain from front to back wheels was great. Even did well in the snow over the years, this rx4 never let me down. the breaks were easy to change myself, the engine was a 1.9 diesel engine and sounded great. the mph was fantastic. and when driving you hardly heard any road noise. also i just loved that back hinge door the way it swung out giving plenty of room to get stuff inside your car, for carrying big things. the seats would fold away leaving big boot space. there was storage everywhere in this car. it was practical for every days use. IM GUTTED RENAULT HAS DISCONTINUED THIS MODEL OF RENAULT BECAUSE IT WAS A TREAT TO OWN.

“Love this car ”

written by Ceciliay322 on 27/08/2014

Bought this car from eBay read all the horror stories but took a chance and as an ex mechanic I can say I love it no it's not fast but where do I need to go in such a rush? It's comfortable beyond belief mpg is fantastic for such a heavy car and as I'll be taking care of all the mechanical issues myself I can honestly say I'm not worried about undertaking any work to the car they are basic and easy to diagnose for even basic technical ability and if you scour around enough on eBay or the internet in general the parts are out there and not as expensive as I would have thought certainly not against similar cars. To finish every type of vehicle on the road has it's fair share of horror stories this one is no exception but for the money and all things considered I would recommend them I will be keeping mine for many years hopefully

“The worst car i have ever had, i hate it”

written by on 24/06/2012

These car would be great if you could get the spares for them. Every time mine goes in it takes forever to get the correct parts. The prop shaft go on all of them, the viscous cupping fails and then rips the tyres to bitts and eventually breaks the gearbox. If you buy from eBay its because its the last ditch attempt for someone to get rid of theirs, the only other option is the scrap yard. That’s how I got stung. Renault do not want to help you with the RX4, I think they want it to go away. They charge the earth for all work and quote sky high prices for every thing. My advice is, unless you are a mechanic that wants a challenge and loves messing about with old cars, avoid the RX 4 like the plague.

“2002 Diesel Rx4 Silver Elephant”

written by on 11/04/2012

Likes plenty space and comfy to drive Bad points. Been a mechanical disaster since day one.Bought off Ebay cheap .Very tidy to look at 87000 miles.But engine had been doctored to sell. Got about 150 mls when big end went.Put in donor from 2003 car and put on new propshaft (Daves props )Thought right were sorted for the rest of its life but no two weeks later. left stranded would not start.Got a tow and hey presto started no problem,two weeks later same thing.Have now started carrying tester as have discovered if no power going to high pressure pump it will not start.Seems the mickey mouse wiring looms on these cars are totally inadequate.Reason mileages on most of these cars is low probably spend a lot of time in the autoelectricians,Here is hoping Renault read this and improve their wiring on newer models as these are a disgrace...

Womblinfree's Comment

Written on: 14/03/2013

Hilarious to read and having one myself it has been parked at the mechanics for 4 months with every mechanic scratching their heads!! Everything is working it just won't bloody start? Any tips other than sensors and belts appreciated.. High pressure pump is th next suggestion, many thanks this is a new revelation and yet to be tested :-))))

“i have had this car 5years,and i definatley,would not...”

written by on 21/05/2011

i have had this car 5years,and i definatley,would not have a renault rx4,i have two turbos and a rebuilt engine ,and it blow again,its a common fault with these cars,KEEP WELL AWAY,dont get me wrong loved it to bits,i realy did until,the turbo went the first time,had engine cleaned ,oil seals crank shaft done all parts rebuilt,and a reckon turbo fitted ,thought brill my babies back on the road yahoo,was buzzing,cost me as much as i paid for it,until,back end of november 2010,the turbo went again and engine popped,found out that the turbos to this engine and car dont mixe,got know tell tail signs ,happened click of a finger,now im,so gutted ,if you can help me deal with this then email me [email protected] thanks.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 29/06/2011

Have emailed you a response. A disaster of a car to buy second hand. Very expensive to repair without the assistance of a lengthy warranty, two tubos in two years plus a reconditioned engine. A real white elephant. the plus it the most comfortable seats...especially when you are waiting for the recovery lorry!

Guest's Comment

Written on: 02/09/2011

Hi

I have had the same happen to me. I bought my rx4 in sept 2010. since i got it it has done nothing but give me trouble. I have spent almost 3k n variouse repairs,. this aug 2011 the turbo blew. I loved this car for its parcticality and comfort but beilve me my advice is to steer clear of these cars they are of such poor quality and very prone to mechanical problems.

VJ London

“Practical. The plastic bumpers all round are a great...”

written by pedmac02 on 07/08/2008

Practical. The plastic bumpers all round are a great idea, i no longer hve to worry about trollys, my kids or car doors.
Fuel economy is good, plent of cubby holes and the best part for me is the way the back door opens. I would recoment this car for someone with a family who like to be active or have a big dog.

“These cars are bad news as a used car buy. Do your...”

written by wnicol on 04/03/2008

These cars are bad news as a used car buy. Do your self a big favour and buy something else.

“I have had this car for 6 years. In that time this...”

written by on 19/12/2007

I have had this car for 6 years. In that time this car has been great to drive; and practical for a number of things like camping, parties, moving and anything i could throw at it. The ride is smooth and quiet and it is a pleasure to drive. Also, it doesn't look outdated at all, in fact i think it looks better on the road than a lot of other compact 4x4s models made to date.

I have two complaints as I said. A bigger engine would not be a bad idea, but would result in less fuel economy, which as it stands is bang on their estimated 10l/100km approx.

Secondly, in my opinion, the authorized service centres in Australia do a terrible job of representing the company. i found them to be very expensive and believe that they don't replace the parts they say they do. My advice: take it to a mechanic you know, and you will never have a problem.

“This car has echoes of the brilliant Renault 16 in...”

written by imaginac on 02/10/2007

This car has echoes of the brilliant Renault 16 in terms of seating flexibility, clever design and comfort. It's almost impossible to skid and traction is amazing in sand, gravel, mud and snow. Our daughter has a large trike to ride - I pull out two rear seats and it fits in perfectly leaving three seats intact. I stick my own bike on a simple rack over the spare wheel.

In my film making career I have lots of gear to lug around, so out come all three rear seats and I've got a HUGE space available for cameras, lights, stands, tripods and kitchen sinks.

For some reason this car was bagged by the Aussie motoring press who noted comments like "French = weird, right?" I guess they just didn't understand the concept of a 4WD car that didn't have a monstrous 5 litre turbo diesel under the bonnet. But then the little Suzuki 4WDs had small engines and, like the RX4 outperformed many bigger 4WDs because they had high approach and departure angles, wheels at the corners, and great traction control.

We love it. Wish list: the new Renault diesel engine as a transplant, and a dual range gearbox. It would be unstoppable!

“Wish they would drop the price of the Renault parts,...”

written by andygea on 06/05/2007

Wish they would drop the price of the Renault parts, but there you go you can't have a vehicle like this and expect everything to be perfect.

“All-in-all this Renault RX4 is the best vehicle I...”

written by ambidexter on 12/05/2006

All-in-all this Renault RX4 is the best vehicle I have ever owned and is a near-perfect blend of a sport utility vehicle and a family estate/wagon. I bought it used and thus avoided the reportedly-high initial cost. While it is not designed for heavy off-roading, it has never failed me in cautiously-navigated snow or mud. I can confidently take this vehicle in any weather that Latvia can throw at it though I didn't test the -27C temperatures last winter. I appreciate that it has a normal key and hand brake (unlike the new Scenic) but automatic climate control and radio control. The essentials are manual and the luxuries are automatic. It is amazingly narrow for its size and that has been a blessing in an 800-year-old city. It is a shame they have discontinued this unique vehicle but it appears that a Nissan Murano variation will replace it though my dealer rumored that it would be Xtrail-based. The elusive Toyota Rav4 Diesel is a worthy alternative but saving 10,000 Euro compared to a similarly-used one was a compelling argument.

Peter Millest's Response to ambidexter's Review

Written on: 19/12/2006

I'm English, but I live in France, and I'm about to buy an RX4 for my wife. 2001 with 78,000 kms and generally excellent condition; she loves the style of the vehicle. I'm more interested in the practical aspects, this review is a great help. Thanks.
<br/>Peter M

Latman's Response to ambidexter's Review

Written on: 27/05/2008

I was intrigued by the fact that you have one in Latvia. I was fully intending to take mine to Latvia to have the petrol engine converted to LPG for a fraction of the cost here in the UK. I've used the Renault dealership in Riga with a previous Scenic and was very impressed by their helpfulness (so could get other things done at the same time). Unfortunately, can't go anywhere at present because the engine (which has done 140,000) has developed a dieselish clicking sound and no one can work out what it is. This is accompanied by the exhaust system warning light appearing on the dashboard intermittently and I've already had the Aplha sensor thing changed once recently. The garage are recommending a new engine!

“As a mountain biker who also helps maintain trails in...”

written by IAR1963 on 07/04/2006

As a mountain biker who also helps maintain trails in some woodland, the Renault RX4 -lite is actually pretty useful - we also live on a farm. We previously owned a normal scenic and the RX4 provided the same spacious and practical package for family motoring.

Ok, the bad stuff. We bought ours secondhand and this I suspect is where caution pays. If used as intended the RX4 is probably as reliable as any other Renault (not perfect then...) but I suspect ours was used for some serious towing and we have had all sorts of drive-train problems including: New rear prop shaft, new front drive shafts and new 5th gear unit on the gearbox. Thankfully us the dealer has fixed this all under warranty, but be careful if buying secondhand.

On the performance front it is noisy, but this may be a result of its previous life to some extent. On the fuel economy front we get 35MPG driving locally (it is a 1.9DCi model) and 40MPG+ on longer runs although I suspect this would drop quickly on the motorway with family and luggage on board. It is also a tad slow.

“I love the Renault RX4 1.9DCi and so do the kids with...”

written by gixer800 on 23/11/2005

I love the Renault RX4 1.9DCi and so do the kids with loads of cubby holes, picnic tables, and twin sunroofs to mention a few points, good performance and superior economy over the likes of the Landrover, Three grander' sorry ment to say Freelander etc...
Yes I have converted from the agricultural Three grander to the plush RX4.
This vehicle is excellent and far better option

“I have had the Renault RX4 1.9DCi 4x4 for nearly two...”

written by zakfessas on 30/06/2005

I have had the Renault RX4 1.9DCi 4x4 for nearly two years and have got an on going problem with the car. It seems to lose power when a signal shows heater plugs faliure. It has been to the garage twice and had ERG valves replaced. Problem still ongoing. Now at the garage for a few days to find the problem. Had a compressor change for aircon. Alternator problem. All under warranty. Everything seems okay after this and once we find this problem I am sure the car will run perfect. It is a cool car to drive and comfortable. Awaiting the new version coming out next year.

Mayfield's Response to 199780_zakfessas's Review

Written on: 29/09/2005

i have exactly the same problem and although its not completely cured it did help when i put some injector cleaner in the tank.
<br>please advise on the outcome from your dealer as i am curious as to what the problem is ?
<br>many thanks

Frub1964's Response to 199780_zakfessas's Review

Written on: 09/11/2008

I have the same problem on my French registered left hand drive. The problem is that if the majority of your driving is at low revs, the EGR valve gets sooty deposits on the piston and sticks. Try giving the car a boot full of throttle and you`ll probably find as you hit around 3,500 revs a plume of black will come from the exhaust. Hopefully the engine will feel crisper after that.

“This is a vehicle in a class of it's own. Being an...”

written by justrx4 on 08/04/2005

This is a vehicle in a class of it's own. Being an owner of 2 Renault vehicles, I can say that the Renault RX4 1.9DCi is definitely a choice for the conscious and safe driver of our times. This car thinks for itself whether you drive on or offroad. I even pulled a Landrover TD5 out of a mud patch I just went through and I have it on video. I'd like to think that this little semi 4x4 is the Tasmanian devil of the early 21st century. Well done to Renault - lets hope they re-introduce this vehicle upgraded in the near future.

“Generally I regret buying this Renault RX4 1.9DCi 4x4....”

written by willian nicol on 24/10/2004

Generally I regret buying this Renault RX4 1.9DCi 4x4. It is not a good car to drive. It always seems like it is struggling.
It is particularly bad on motorways. It struggles to return 34mpg(diesel 1.9dci)and is very noisey. Most of these cars will never go off road so why is the gear ratio so awful for road use. The front window demisters are terrible.

“After looking at car markets for some time just trying...”

written by paul anderson on 26/09/2004

After looking at car markets for some time just trying to find the model we wanted was a task as the Renault RX4 1.9DCi 4x4s are very much sought after. We finaly bought a used model from a dealership and once bought we loved it. Its driving position is unsurpassed and the room and extras that came with it are second to none. We have recently been going off road and it has coped with everthing its had thrown at it. Its also not bad on fuel considering its imense size.

Wnicol's Response to paul anderson's Review

Written on: 05/03/2008

Not too bad a car but wait until the turbo breaks, and it will. Wait until the prop shaft goes and it will. wait until the cat goes and it will because there is no support all along its length.
<br/>The car trade don,t want to know it as a used car. It,s about as desirable as an ashtray on a motorbike.

“The RX4 manual version has the worst gear ratio in any...”

written by coral. on 02/07/2003

The RX4 manual version has the worst gear ratio in any car I have ever driven. In fact when you slow down from third to second gear in order to go around a corner or roundabout, it shudders so badly as if the engine cannot cope. Is there anybody out there with the same problem?

Alexwar's Response to coral.'s Review

Written on: 25/04/2004

Reason for the noide is due to the 4WD System where the Limited Slip Differential will sense the difference between front abd back wheels on a sharp turn and act ..meaning blocking to 4WD Mode

“Took a long hard look at the SUV market. For price,...”

written by CSB. on 09/12/2002

Took a long hard look at the SUV market. For price, spec & ability the Renault RX4 won hands down. Twin elec sun roofs, A/C, climate control, all the usual boys toys. Is at home on the road or in the dirt. Can mix it with the exec cars as well. Renault have worked on this vehicle and will have to go some on the update. It even converted a Freelander owner !!!

“Took a long hard look at the SUV market. For price,...”

written by CSB. on 09/12/2002

Dollyannie6's Response to CSB.'s Review

Written on: 18/01/2004

I will agree totally with the written review. It is a splendid car to drive both off road and on. I would recommend anyone to purchase it as you will not be disappointed. Extremely comfortable seating. I live in a pretty remote area and the car has to cope with steep hills and bumpy roads. It handles these tasks admirably.

Alexwar's Response to CSB.'s Review

Written on: 25/04/2004

Yes it is definitely a good package. The only downsize the engine itself ( I drive a 2l petrol). With supposely 101KW of Power..where..I don't know..it looks like 80KW.