Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 110 SE Reviews

Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 110 SE
Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 110 SE

“Great at 165k miles”

Written on: 20/02/2013

Had this from 3 years old. Serviced it regularly and it keeps on going. Gret road holding and torque.

“After owning 3 Golfs I thought of saving some money...”

Written on: 12/07/2010 by nothappy1bit (4 reviews written)

After owning 3 Golfs I thought of saving some money and bought a brand new Seat Leon 110 TDI, big mistake! Although the parts come from the same bin, the Seat is put together by Spanish workers at a Spanish factory in Spain and that is a big problem.
Every imaginable seal leaked water, doors, rear and front lights, aircon housing and rear wiper, in the morning it was like stepping into a wet tent after spending 3 nights at Glastonbury.
The dealer was useless as well, instead of caring for their product I got a lot of shoulder shrugging and they did not care, I contacted Seat UK and got the same kind of reaction.
In the end after a dozen visits to the Seat dealer I had everything fixed and I sold it the next day before anything else could go wrong.
So Seat may use all the VW parts but their built quality is not of VW level, far from it. don't be fooled.

Rayx's Response to nothappy1bit's Review

Written on: 17/10/2012

The only big mistake around here is you. Leon is an awarding car all around europe. If you had a unit with problems, you should have been smart enough to go and talk to your dealer instead of keeping it and blaming the Spanish for your small brain
Signed by a Spanish

Read 1 Comment

“I bought this car from the Seat dealership in...”

Written on: 14/10/2009

I bought this car from the Seat dealership in Letchworth after I had taken it for a test drive and fallen instantly in love with it.

Now, seven years down the track the car still looks beautiful, the engine is as good as when I bought the car despite having 164,000 miles on the clock.

This car is a real gem and I only hope my next Seat is as good.

“This is my fourth happy year of driving the Seat Leon...”

Written on: 05/02/2008

This is my fourth happy year of driving the Seat Leon SE TDI 130bhp model, and after 80k miles I haven't got a bad word to say about the car. The engine is fantastic; responsive and full of torque. The turbo starts boosting from just below 2000rpm so it keeps up with its petrol counterparts easily as it's low-mid range pull is excellent. On the road, the Leon feels squat and sturdy, sticks to it's line and handles in a very precise and steady manner. I've thrown it around a bit and its difficult to lose grip, even deliberately, with the TCS on. Once you know the car and are comfortable enough to to explore what it has to offer you wont be disappointed, it's an absolute pleasure to drive! It always seems to deliver power when you want it, and when it does, it's always got that bit more to give, just in case you need it. The sport seats are comfortable although I miss not being able to adjust the angle of the seat base. Well equipped when it comes to kit. It seems like a lot of thought has gone into the vast array of gadgets and toys onboard (all planned and laid out sensibly), and the 8 speaker system is one of the best standard fits I've heard. The car was originally one of the dealerships fleet/demo cars, I bought it a year old with 7k on the clock. It needed replacement rear shocks after the first 10k which Seat did under warranty and have had no further problems with it, until recently an intermittent fault has developed with the brake lights. Customer service from Seat has always been excellent with service/repair costs at the high end of reasonable. Road tax is cheap and you can easily get 50mpg out of it. The Leon comes highly recommended by me and others who have driven my car. I would be quite happy to run this one til it dies!

“This car i.e. the 110 TDi SEAT Leon is absolutely the...”

Written on: 29/08/2007 by richard walker (1 review written)

This car i.e. the 110 TDi SEAT Leon is absolutely the best car I have ever owned.

I bought it second hand FSH with 60K on the clock all motorway miles ex rep car.

It now has 165,000 miles on the clock. (that's 105K driven by me). All motorway miles on my daily round trip to work of 106 miles.

Only one issue which was still under warranty was a failed air mass meter a common VAG group car fault.

Having a normally aspirated Peugeot 306 1.9D previously I never even realised there was a problem with the mass meter, as performance easily outstripped the Pug. When the new meter went on (free of charge) it felt like a Ferrari.

Service costs, tyres (three sets) and brake discs (1 set)/pads (two sets so far)

That's the only spend which I think you'll agree is not bad at all for 105,000 miles driving.

I never tire of driving this car!

“I have the Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 110 SE 130bhp version....”

Written on: 05/10/2006 by Wlord (7 reviews written)

I have the Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 110 SE 130bhp version. The VAG groups input is obvious. However I am not sure where this was put together (not Germany I would imagine). The car is great and I feel I got a great deal. It's fast (but not licence losing by accident) and does 50mpg without much care. After only a few months the cabin had about 5 different vibrations and rattles. There are also two different ones coming from under the bonnet (not diesel engine noises). Due to the 3 year warranty, the car went back and Seat almost fell over themselves with potential fixes. I was amused as this is my second Seat and they identified one of the noises as a common fault that my first car had with the back seats. As they failed to deal with this in my first car, I already knew about this problem and it wasn't one that my new car had, as yet. This concerned me as they gave this as a fix done (but wasn't wrong in the first place). Sure enough I got into my car and the rear parcel shelf still resonated during the mid range revs and the air bag still rattled. The under bonnet issue was as bad as ever and although they said one noise was the engine cover (which they claimed to have sorted), both noises where in evidence straight away. The second noise was more concerning, they claimed it was an air con pipe (which is an alloy) touching the cabin bulkhead. More annoying was their admission that they couldn't find the area or bit in question. To sum it up, I gave them a car with annoying (not I admit serious) problems and they fixed a problem that didn't exist and missed all the reported ones. I wanted to deal with it myself but found that they do not do a Haynes manual for this car at all.

☆☆☆☆☆

“I'd think twice before buying from Seat.”

Written on: 26/04/2006 by Scott Simpson (1 review written)

I'd think twice before buying from Seat.

“This was the first car I had ever paid for brand new,...”

Written on: 12/02/2006 by tsbl2000 (1 review written)

This was the first car I had ever paid for brand new, despite having said I would always buy second hand. One drive of the Leon TDi 110 was enough to convince me to buy new. I have owned the car for over four years and in 60K+ miles I have never had any trouble. The performance is very good and fuel economy over 50mpg. There are many nice little touches, like electronically folding door mirrors, climate control, time delay lighting on exit etc., which have made this a very enjoyable car to own. The best thing about it, however, is the drive, which is the best I have had in over 30 years of driving. My only gripe has been the softness of the silver paint, which scuffs easily and the difficulty in getting the correct seat position which can give you a numb bottom after 90 mins or so driving. I am now to change my car and the only reason I am not buying another Leon is that there are no Seat garages anywhere near where I live. This car is thoroughly recommended for anyone who likes driving.

“The Seat Leon is great fun to drive, stiff suspension...”

Written on: 12/02/2006 by discohippie (1 review written)

The Seat Leon is great fun to drive, stiff suspension gives real enjoyment. The ride can be poor especially on bumpy roads at low speeds. The ride improves on motorway. The ride often gives passengers the impression that they're travelling fast when in fact it's just the sporty feel. Acceleration generally good but first rate on motorways seems to accelerate faster as speed increases. Good fuel economy amazing if driven with care. Fun sporty car without being too expensive to run. I had air mass meter fail straight after service at Kwik Fit. I picked it up like that so can't tell whether car or garage to blame. Also annoying intermittant fault with horn, sods law fail to work during MOT.

“I like the look of the Seat Leon, and the performance...”

Written on: 27/10/2005 by williams123 (1 review written)

I like the look of the Seat Leon, and the performance is good, but I'm just so gutted that such a new car (51 plate) with so little miles on the clock has had such a BIG problem costing £2500. This is a 4 year old car, which has been serviced annually. There has been no warning. I am lucky I have got a boyfriend that noticed the smell of oil, otherwise I would have broken down somewhere not knowing what on earth to do. I am really upset that I've spent so much money on the car. I am only 20 years old, so to me this is a lot of money, and now I have got to pay out again!!

“I bought my Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 110 SE after owning a...”

Written on: 05/10/2004 by Ross Graham (4 reviews written)

I bought my Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 110 SE after owning a superb Toledo TDi 110 for three years and 60,000 miles of superb performance and reliability. The car is easy and fun to drive. The engine always feels smooth and willing with great mid range pull, the high gearing gives relaxed and effortless high speed cruising and the steering and roadholding is of a high standard. My wife runs a Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec which is a very good car but we both prefer the Leon as it is superior in almost every department. There is a daily argument as to who's turn it is to drive the Leon! The Focus has better steering feel but the Leon is not far behind, while the roadholding and ride are about equal. The Focus averages 34mpg while the Leon does 48mpg, driven hard! I can't understand why the Focus is rated quite as highly in car magazine reviews. The only fly in the ointment for the Leon is the tendency for the steering to wander to the left. On any other car I would not tolerate it, but as I like everything else I think I can live with it.

“Owned a Seat Leon from new, for one and a half years...”

Written on: 03/05/2004 by awmorgan (1 review written)

Owned a Seat Leon from new, for one and a half years and so far have no real cause for complaint.
The 1.9 TDI 110 Engine is really punchy, despite the slight turbo lag and it's quiet too.
Lots of room in passenger compartment and in the boot also, like the 12V power outlet in there.
Standard radio / CD is excellent thanks to sensible speakers (8 altogether).
Not too sure about the TCS but noted that it holds it's own on ice and snow, unlike some wide wheel 4x4's.
Lots of thoughtful details like the variable wipe, this will wipe immediately when pushed up a notch but not when pushed down, great.
Road handling is excellent and in the wet. The steering has just enough feedback to give confidence when cornering.

“After getting my Seat Leon, it has made many trips to...”

Written on: 25/03/2004 by Wendles (1 review written)

After getting my Seat Leon, it has made many trips to the garage, firstly the boot jammed, then a month later the back windscreen washer broke and soaked everything, then the horn broke, now the anti-theft alarm keeps going off and I can do nothing but wait with the battery disconnected for 3 weeks until the dealer can get round to fixing it. It has also developed a rattle in the dashboard.

Mk1978's Response to Wendles's Review

Written on: 23/05/2005

Sounds like a Friday afternoon car, unfortunately they do crop up in all makes not just the Seat Leon.
My Leon had a minor internal light defect which was quickly corrected by the dealer but other than that 100% quality and reliability.
Only solution i've found for Friday afternoon cars is kicking up so much fuss that they replace the entire car! That was a Vauxhall I had issues with!

Read 1 Comment

“I've had the Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 110 SE for almost 2...”

Written on: 07/03/2004 by Mike1969 (2 reviews written)

I've had the Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 110 SE for almost 2 years now and am still impressed by everything about the car, it's performance is great on all road types from my fun back road routes to the motorways on trips down south.
Still get some badge snobs taking to micky but it'll out perform a Golf GTI and still do 50mpg. Seats are the best I've ever had in a car and the build quality is very very good. Just came through a bad spell of snow and it even made a fool of some 4x4's but that could be down to the fact that the drivers were not up to it. May go for the 150 bhp Leon diesel next or the Curpa R, these things are great.

“My Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 110 SE does everything that I...”

Written on: 09/02/2004 by ctu8630007 (1 review written)

My Seat Leon 1.9 TDi 110 SE does everything that I have asked of it. Can get a great driving position due to adjustable steering (height and reach) and an adjustable seat (including height). Seats are firmer and closer than the 's' TDI that I had as a hire car. Handles and drives as well as any other that I 've had for the money. I did wonder if the boot would be big enough but fitted all things for two weeks in France for two adults. Build quality has been fine and it's a true gem in snow and ice! Only niggles are no CD changer (bit of bartering got one off dealer), poor visability out of rearview mirror, and that the TDI is now 130bhp (hence less stars for performance). Overall I liked it when it first saw it and nothings changed after owning one for over two years.

Mike1969's Response to ctu8630007's Review

Written on: 08/03/2004

Couldn\'t agree more, but I think that the performance is very good for a 110bhp car, it revs well above 4000 and gives a real push back into the seat.