Pace Twin DTV recorder Reviews

Pace Twin DTV recorder - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Pace Twin DTV recorder

Pace Twin DTV recorder

“Good product. My 770D has run well for the 6 months or...”

Written on: 09/11/2008 by Bretzky (1 review written)

Good product. My 770D has run well for the 6 months or so that Ive owned it, this is not to say that it ran glitch free but it's overall preformance was good. Sometimes it freezes (like other chip based toys) and you simply reboot. I've had the wrong times recorded and the wrong shows but I'm sure in at least a few cases it was the TV programming and not the PVR… Read Full Review

“I have had a Pace TDC770D for two weeks. It sometimes...”

Written on: 08/10/2008 by Saxon2 (1 review written)

I have had a Pace TDC770D for two weeks. It sometimes freezes the picture; while watching the Obama/McCain debate tonight, I had to leave my large flat screen HDTV and go to my small 21 inch in my bedroom because the picture froze. Often when I program it for future recording, I return to find that it has recorded at the appropriate time, but not the channel selected; sometimes if I set it to record a show that runs 5:00 to 5:30, I would find that it has recorded from 5:00 to 5:00. Today I… Read Full Review

“Even though, according to the machine, it is receiving...”

Written on: 01/06/2007 by PeterRD (2 reviews written)

Even though, according to the machine, it is receiving a good signal strength, the picture still breaks up occasionally. I recently bought a Toshiba flat screen digital TV and the picture has not broken up so far.

My Pace Twin DTV Recorder used to crash occasionally, but I found by replacing all the cheap hook up coax leads with high quality double screened leads, it has not crashed since. I think the unit is sensitive to room thermostats, etc.

Having bought my sister a Humax PVR for… Read Full Review

“Have had the Pace Twin DTV Recorder for just over two...”

Written on: 30/10/2006 by Niguel (1 review written)

Have had the Pace Twin DTV Recorder for just over two and a half years and it's been nothing but a problem! Often does not record programmes when set up to do so, also ITV frequently has no sound. The electronic program guide is useless as it is mainly empty when you go into it and frequently takes ten minutes or more to load up! Often drops channels as if there is poor reception yet my Sony IDTV picks them up fine! To cap it all one of the digits on the front display/clock has now gone out… Read Full Review

“I bought my Twin directly from Pace just over a year...”

Written on: 01/11/2005 by Duncan Mann (1 review written)

I bought my Twin directly from Pace just over a year ago. I paid £175 then, and it would seem that it is available at around £150 now. It seems to me that this is good value, though the first thing I did on receiving the unit was to trash to puny 20Gb hard disk and replace it with a 80Gb unit, thus increasing the unit's ability to store video from 10 to 40 hours. Provided i) you don't mind taking a risk with the warranty and ii) are comfortable with the idea of delving into the innards of the… Read Full Review

Misamson's Response to Duncan Mann's Review

Written on: 22/04/2009

THANKS FOR YOUR INFO WILL BE VERY HELPFULL IF U CAN PLEASE TELL US WHAT KIND OF HARD DRIVE DID U USE AND HOW DID U UPGRADE.
<br/>THANK-U
<br/>MARK

Misamson's Response to Duncan Mann's Review

Written on: 22/04/2009

I found this review helpful because... I WOULD LIKE TO UPGRADE AS WELL

Read 2 Comments

“If the Pace Twin DTV recorder worked it would be...”

Written on: 21/09/2005 by MikeTheBike (1 review written)

If the Pace Twin DTV recorder worked it would be wonderful. Unfortunately, I can guarantee that if I go on holiday and set it to record one weeks programmes that at some point in the week it will crash and all further recordings will be lost. This is a known issue that has not been fixed… Read Full Review

“I have had my Pace box now for around a month and find...”

Written on: 07/06/2005 by DannyM (1 review written)

I have had my Pace box now for around a month and find it to be excellent quality. The picture is better than my Sky box.
With the twin tuners I can record a program for the wife and still watch the England match without any complaints!
The 7 day EPG is slow compared to the SKY version because it downloads it at a slow speed, but you do get use to it. I still can't get use to the pause feature as it seems weird to pause the TV to answer the front door etc ...
I have had a couple of blips with… Read Full Review

“As seems to be common policy these days, Pace clearly...”

Written on: 19/05/2005 by crankboy (1 review written)

As seems to be common policy these days, Pace clearly rushed these units out before a complete or even moderate testing program!

The initial level of bugs (crashes/lock-ups) completely cancelled out any possible intial pleasure of owning one of these machines.
From that point and after a few firmware downloads (that have long since dried up) the unit settled down into more infrequent but no less stressful unreliability.
I still never know whether an un-supervised recording is going to just… Read Full Review

“Power down at least once a week. PACE customer support...”

Written on: 09/05/2005 by AH (1 review written)

Power down at least once a week. PACE customer support leaves a lot to be desired. 2 years and still no fix to the problem… Read Full Review

“Had my Pace Twin DTV recorder for a year now and for...”

Written on: 02/02/2005 by Mting (1 review written)

Had my Pace Twin DTV recorder for a year now and for the few faults mine has shown, I still wouldn't be without it. I have read reports by others who seem to have suffered a great deal more than I have. Mine will fully lock up very occasionally requiring a power down and sometimes on playback the picture will freeze for a second and thenb accelerate back to where it should be again. Some software versions seem to be worse than others. The unit seems to be sensitive to temperature and this… Read Full Review

Pjh's Response to 183024_Mting's Review

Written on: 17/05/2005

I can concur with the previous review entirely. The user interface is second to none. Miles better than Sky Plus. I have a pal nearby who has a Pace Puma too. He's had much more trouble than me but gets a stronger signal. He had a tv signal amplifier installed and coax run round his house. Apart from the potential for rf interference from the amplifier, I can't help wondering if the miles of cheap poorly screened coax is contributing to his problems.
<br>I've had various Freeview boxes and have experienced less than acceptable performance from all of them. Things improved a lot when I re-terminated every aerial connection in my system.
<br>It seems as though the technology has some way to go before we get the 100% reliability we have grown used to from other cheap tecnology of modern times!

Pjh's Response to 183024_Mting's Review

Written on: 24/02/2006

After my Pace Twins hung two weeks ago, I powered it off and on. I was at the point of getting on to pace to try and get some sort of compensation for this unreliable product when I got a message saying there was a software upgrade being broadcast. I went ahead cynically with this update and some two weeks on, and to my amazement, the damn thing is behaving itself at last! I had been sending Pace some choice communications since the previous upgrade which was sometime late last year. Perhaps sufficient numbers of complaints jolted them into action, who knows! It's a shame the customer has to increasingly play "Guineapig" for manufacturers, and they can't get a product sorted before they bring it to market!!

Jackass's Response to 183024_Mting's Review

Written on: 14/08/2005

The reviewer is correct. The audio track on playback is constant but the picture stalls and then sprints to catch up. This is a real pain if you are transfering to, say, DVD for archiving.
<br>I have contacted Pace several times regarding the update of software and they keep saying it is in the pipeline.
<br>Other than that - it's tumbleweed and the sound of distant bells.
<br>I have stopped holding my breath.
<br>Other than that the unit is OK and the interface is spot on - the wife even manages to set the timer record on occcasion.

Read 3 Comments

“Have had a Pace Twin DTV recorder for just over a...”

Written on: 27/12/2004 by Aspects (2 reviews written)

Have had a Pace Twin DTV recorder for just over a month, initially impressed, no longer so. Pace was an upgrade from Ferguson unit which gave little trouble, occasional lock up. Pace unit has numerous picture freezes (also partial pixalation) on live broadcasts (four or five have occured in half hour programme), has locked up on a couple of occasions and failed to record programmes. Agree with much of what Skysurfer reviewer has said. Prior to reading these reviews I contacted Pace re. the… Read Full Review

“I think that the Pace Twin DTV recorder is a much...”

Written on: 12/09/2004 by hmattos (1 review written)

I think that the Pace Twin DTV recorder is a much under rated and ignored product. If promoted a good deal this product should sell millions. Every friend I speak to is amazed by how easy it is to use and all the useful functions it has. Even the children can happily use and record programmes on it without worrying about tape length or deleting some crucial programme.
All in all a great product… Read Full Review

“The good and bad points say most of what there is to say. ”

Written on: 03/03/2004 by skysurfer (2 reviews written)

The good and bad points say most of what there is to say.
I think this Pace Twin DTV recorder is not fit for sale as a video recorder. Over the last 11 months we have been used as testers for the various versions of software. After 3 months I sent it back to Pace for a replacement, but that's the same.
I would at least expect the basic functionality of being able to view a timer recording to be reliable and it is not! (Therefore zero star rating as a video recorder).
The software has not… Read Full Review

Elchenuk's Response to skysurfer's Review

Written on: 12/03/2004

Don\'t agree with this review. I have had excellent experience with my Pace. A lot of the negative points are very minor, and as far as the HDD goes I\'ve replaced mine with an 80 Gig version.

Skysurfer's Response to skysurfer's Review

Written on: 23/01/2006

I have put up with this machine for nearly 3 years now! Since the long awaited software update at the end of 2005 it has been more reliable.
<br>
<br>The setting of recording timers from the 7-day guide is simple and better thought out than any of the current machines I've seen. (A shame there's no picture/sound while in the program guide).
<br>The fast forward/reverse in playback is now almost faultless.
<br>Failed recordings are far less common. (1 failed in 2 weeks rather than 1 failed in 2 days).
<br>
<br>It's much better than it was but still frustrating on the occasions when recordings do fail... Rather old technology now compared with recorders that can record 2 channels at once and have 8 times the recording capacity like the Topfield 5800 or the Humax 9200.

Jimmyoung's Response to skysurfer's Review

Written on: 05/02/2005

elchenuk - would you mind spilling the beans about upgrading the HDD on the pace twin DTVR? Did you simply copy all files from the old to the new to ensure the software was retained (or does that reside on a flash chip on the board?). Did you need a certain spec HDD or just a standard notebook-size or regular 3.5" drive? Cheers for the info.

Zanniehome's Response to skysurfer's Review

Written on: 06/12/2004

I totally agree with the negative comments, I have had my recorder about a year.
<br>When I first bought it I was over the moon and recommended all my friends to buy one.
<br>But now I find that it generally works well but locks up, loses programmes etc just as the man said. I recorded Terminator 3 a couple of weeks ago went to watch it and after 39 mins it totally seized very frustrating.
<br>Someone told me that Digital stuff gets clogged up in the same way as computer hard discs and that this is what causes the problems. I do not know if this is true but it is very frustrating not to be certain of recording programes that I want to see.
<br> I too have been keeping up to date with all the new software.
<br>The recording time is also limited to 10 hours TV although virtually unlimited Radio and I find virtually unlimited Radio 4 and Radio 7 recording is a vast improvement from the previous cassette and timer limitations.
<br>I went away for easter leaving a full programme and when I came back nothing had been recorded. This has happened several times I think that I probably lose about one programme ever two weeks this way so I would not consider the system reliable.
<br>However it is quite userfriendly to programme if cumbersome.
<br>
<br>I am thinking of getting a DVD recorder (which is how I found this site) and using the pace recorder just for Radio

Webgirl's Response to skysurfer's Review

Written on: 07/11/2004

Completely agree with this review!
<br>
<br>PACE have even admitted the issues that are raised as pointed out to them in numerous, very long emails. They state a new software upgrade is due November 2004 and "should" fix the problems. Currently trying to reset the second box - I too took the original one back to no benefit - to original factory settings to see if that helps.
<br>
<br>I'm sticking to my SVHS recorder...!!!

Johnmarsh's Response to skysurfer's Review

Written on: 08/04/2004

I bought a used Pace Twin and I have not found any faults yet. I reset it to the factory specs, hooked up my VCR/DVD combo, and it all works!
<br>
<br>I updated software about a week ago, and I have had no freezes, drop-outs, blank screens, etc.
<br>
<br>My signal strength is about 60% and I will upgrade my aerial soon, but it is really great!

Read 6 Comments

“The Pace Twin DTV recorder has changed my life! Well,...”

Written on: 14/02/2004 by heckbulb (3 reviews written)

The Pace Twin DTV recorder has changed my life! Well, my TV viewing habbits anyway. It lets you record up to 10 hrs of broadcast quality digital tlevision or radio, pause live TV and is so easy to use - just select the program to rec from the EPG and hit REC. You can still set up manual timed recordings of course. You can also start to watch a program before it finishes recording. Or you can plug in a second TV and you effectivly have two digital TV tuners.

The bad point is that it does… Read Full Review