Norton Antivirus 2003 - Symantec Reviews

Norton Antivirus 2003 - Symantec
3.2

Summary

Manufacturer: Symantec
Platforms: Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows XP
Norton Antivirus 2003 - Symantec - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Norton Antivirus 2003 - Symantec

“I am using it for more that 3 yrs and never faced any...”

written by on 26/12/2009

I am using it for more that 3 yrs and never faced any attack. It had blocked many attacks. Provides you with information on which site can be trusted and which cannot be trusted.

Once my OS crashed and I did not find is difficult to get to reinstall it as I had the order number with me.

Overall I feel I am secured with this one.

“BEST ANTIVIRUS EVER!”

written by on 25/12/2009

BEST ANTIVIRUS EVER!

“The Norton Antivirus 2003 - Symantec runs smoothly and...”

written by on 05/01/2008

The Norton Antivirus 2003 - Symantec runs smoothly and always works fine and just as it was designed to. I find it very efficient.

“I have been using Symantec Norton products since i can...”

written by lazzer r1 on 27/01/2007

I have been using Symantec Norton products since i can remember. A few years ago, the product and updates started to get a bit slack, but they soon got better. In recent years, the product has started to use up a lot of system resources and really slowed things down, but apparently, Symantec have realised this and the new 2007 version is much much better, and i would have to agree.

I admit that for a beginner, the personal firewall could be a bit daunting, but after you understand what a firewall does and how it works, you will get used to it. (My Dad who is 68 and not very technical, now has no problems using it).

I know a lot of people who do not like the Symantec and Norton products, but i think you should try the new 2007 versions. They have definitley fixed the resources problem and the product seems to work really well (Just make sure you have the 'Automatically download virus signatures' enabled and run a regular virus scan!

“I have been subscribing to Norton Antivirus 2004 and...”

written by peter wood on 05/04/2006

I have been subscribing to Norton Antivirus 2004 and have kept it up to date. Yesteday though, after my PC was running a little slow I did a full scan after a 6 week break (and not having used the PC for 3 weeks!!). NAV2004 came up with nothing. Being suspisious I loaded another Anti virus program (Kasperski) which came up with not one, but TWO TROJANS!!! OUCH!
What have I been paying my money for all these years? What a useless product. Don't touch. I would assume that the others are the same too.

“Don't go anywhere near the 2003 version of Norton...”

written by johnshearer on 10/01/2006

Don't go anywhere near the 2003 version of Norton Antivirus as it is not supported.

I spent three frustrating days trying to manually edit the registry to get rid of the 2003 product, as the new 2006 version I had just shelled out $(AUS)85 wouldn't install.

The utility on their website to uninstall the program doesn't work. Their technical support on the website is contradictory - with different pages telling you to do different things. Their online chat technical support seem to have little actual technical experience and simply talk you through the steps from the website (and then conveniently escape as you have to reboot at certain points!)...

If you have a clean system with no other antivirus installed, then Norton may be okay, but what happens when you eventually have to uninstall??

“Have been using NAV 2003 for 2 years without any...”

written by MTV on 19/05/2005

Have been using NAV 2003 for 2 years without any problems/issues. It has stopped loads of email viruses and the auto-protect weekly scans have always deleted incoming threats. A lot of people complain about NAV being resource hungry, I have a fast PC so can't comment on that. I would recommend NAV as a great all-round virus killer.

“The 3-pack license of the Norton Antivirus 2003 -...”

written by JL92069 on 05/03/2005

The 3-pack license of the Norton Antivirus 2003 - Symantec only works if all your machines have CD drives. My new laptop does not, and the downloadable version cannot be activated with the 3-pack license. It took 3 hours (literally) on the phone with Symantec, and they say to return the whole group or go buy a CD drive. They suck.

“I've been using Norton products for nearly 20 years....”

written by Nerd3D on 11/03/2004

I've been using Norton products for nearly 20 years. The latest batch of products saddens me. They have finally run me off. Even with current updates the Norton Antivirus 2003 - Symantec e-mail scanner was letting viruses through, then catching them latter as the e-mail client accessed the just-downloaded mail to display it. This usually caused something to crash.

I tried the official Symantec work-a-round of disabling the e-mail scanning completely. Yes, their official fix was to let your computer get infected then scan the virus out later. (Read it for your self here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2003013115102706 )
I doing this back door trick once NAV finally caught the virus as the mail client opened... It "fixed" the mail file be deleting 6 months worth of e-mail. That was the day NAV got uninstalled.

Their sloppy programming just did exactly what it was supposed to prevent. I'll never be back.

Blacknyellow's Response to Nerd3D's Review

Written on: 07/09/2004

I couldn't agree more. The one and only program that I had to completely disable on my firewall was Norton's update lucomserver.exe, because every time straight after switching on my computer it was spawning off information to all sorts of websites related to spyware - a thing I would have expected it to prevent rather than promote. It is running clean now, while I regularly update it manually - but this should simply not be the case, and I will uninstall Norton after my paid-up subscription runs out in a couple of months' time. Not again, thank you very much! Norton is just too expensive for capers of this sort.
<br>I am considering Panda Titanium 2004 at the moment instead...

“I have tried several different Anti-Virus packages...”

written by Bossman1959 on 08/10/2003

I have tried several different Anti-Virus packages over the years but since buying the Norton software I have not been tempted to look at another.
The Norton Antivirus 2003 - Symantec interface is clean and professional in appearance giving all the information you are likely to want without cluttering the screen with useless facts.
I am pleased to say that since I have used it the software has intercepted quite a number of viruses and has not missed any to my knowledge. This is backed up by the system scan carried out each week which has so far given a clean bill of health.
The link to the Symantec Web site which is provided from the GUI gives very welcome information on all viruses which I find very comforting and useful.
Updates are fully automatic via the web and the user is informed discreetly when the update is complete.
In these days of hackers and virus ridden emails it is vital to have some effective protection. I cannot recommend this product enough.... try it yourself, you won't be disappointed.

“SYMANTEC Norton Antivirus 2003 is a good product..does...”

written by ali g on 08/08/2003

SYMANTEC Norton Antivirus 2003 is a good product..does what it says.protects your e-mails..downloads...recommend use it with system works and internet security as a package unbeatable but pricey

“+ Little configuration, easy setup and automatically...”

written by Tint. on 12/07/2003

+ Little configuration, easy setup and automatically updates of your virus definitions, as well the application itself.
- Still the memory and processor usage. But in this release you can't bother to much, as the application uses something about 7Mb when minimized, but active.

“This AV software has very little user configuration,...”

written by Uglytroll. on 19/04/2003

This AV software has very little user configuration, creates too many small files in the Norton protected bin which eventually chokes your paging file to death and restricts your ability to delete those pesky norton .dat and .pf files. It uses far too much memory for the type of scans it employs. Too many people rely on it simply because it is a "big name" company. You want a good antivirus that won't lag your system or create administrator conflicts... get F-Secure.

104545_Chaotic Dude.'s Response to 90166_Uglytroll.'s Review

Written on: 05/06/2003

I agree, but that's maybe you're in desperate need of some what they call, "Memory".
<br>It does take alot of memory, believe me, i used to have it installed on my pc. But after a few tries here and there, i got tired, so people, if you don't have at least 512MB DDR! Ram, please use Grisoft's AVG.

“I am very pleased that this version of Norton...”

written by Daniel Evans. on 25/10/2002

I am very pleased that this version of Norton Antivirus doesn't interfere with my operating system - Windows XP. My last Norton Antivirus caused windows to crash fairly regularly.

You can trial it from Norton website before you buy - I recommend this to give you peace of mind that it will get on well with the rest of your system/software.

Recommended - can't fault