IF Internet Banking Reviews - www.if.com

IF Internet Banking www.if.com - Ask a question now

“closing an account”

written by Bain467 on 24/08/2022

Closing an account. Simple enough? Apparently not so. Asking for the small funds to be transferred to a charity, they cannot do that. As for the "right to be forgotten" let's not even go into that one!

“Have been receiving mail for one of their customers...”

written by ddddddddddddddds on 18/07/2022

Have been receiving mail for one of their customers several times per month for FOUR YEARS now. Contacted them several times to stop it but they haven't. Your personal data isn't safe with this company.

“Choose another bank. Call centre are uncaring and...”

written by Daugherty290 on 23/06/2022

Inadvertently locked out of my bank account, due to putting in my password wrong, I was asked some very specific random questions like 'when you changed the name of a savings jar what did you rename it to and when did you do that' and was told I had failed security. The only way to get back online was to be sent a code through the post. 3 days later and it still has not arrived. Until I get this I cannot file a complaint. I am put through to the offshore team who tell me 'be patient, calm down and wait for the postman'. Another call centre member of staff slammed down the phone. This is not helpful. They don't know who the finanacial ombudsman (one said 'please can you spell that?) I will be moving my account as soon as I can. A customer who has banked with you and had an IF mortgage for 15 years, I am totally disillusioned. The worst kind of customer experience.

“SLOW SLOW SLOW”

written by Kareem1970 on 09/04/2022

Their 'Faster Payments Service' takes FOUR days- everyone else takes 10 minutes. It would be quicker for me to withdraw the cash, drive the other side of the country and stick it through the letterbox. They 'don't offer' this as a service - so not much point being a bank then is there. Total dinosaur of a bank.

“Choose another bank”

written by Halevie on 09/02/2021

I've had years and years of problems with IF. Constant mistakes with payments. Instructions not being carried out. Several have gone to the Ombudsman. Their only saving grace is most other banks are no better. If you want to complain, you have to do it by phone or by web form secure message..... convenient as you, as a customer, have no record. Their idea if an email is a webform that you can't add attachments to. Useless. What do I like about IF? They have a short name.

“IF. Great bank. ”

written by 424Daugherty on 14/05/2020

Excellent web site. Easy to use. It has never crashed whilst I’ve been using it or locked me out. Easy to contact on phone. Off set Mortgage excellent. Interest rate very competitive. “Jar” system of 6 sub accounts very handy for keeping track of various spend and save plans Been with IF since 2001. It’s no Space Oddity that we are still with them. Brilliant bank. Let’s hope they an open up for new customers on 1st January 2021.

“Intelligent Finance are a disgrace”

written by Daltonw354 on 21/05/2015

Intelligent finance are a black hole to your financial management and personal time. Nobody answers the phone, and the online log in system is a total disaster - it's completely un-user friendly and you get locked out at the drop of a hat after which it takes up to a week to have a code mailed back to you and then you're required to phone them and spend god knows how much time back on the phone trying to get hold of them. They are a disgrace.

Mpdch's Comment

Written on: 21/08/2015

completely agree!!!!!on hold for 45 minutes then person we want is on leave and told we can get a call back in 4 days!

Read 1 Comment

“Great Bank Account”

written by ChurchEnd on 20/05/2013

We have banked with IF for 11 years and had our mortgage with them; We have found them really easy to deal with, the best bank we have had had. The security is no different to any other bank account and I have never had a problem getting through to customer service. The assistants are always really pleasant, polite and helpful, take ownership of your request and have always do exactly what they say they will do. We have had no difficulty moving money around, paying direct debits or seeing all accounts online. A remortgage was handled so easily and efficiently the money was in the account before we had sent the papers back. It was the least stressful mortgage we have ever arranged. Well done IF, I wish you still did mortgages.

“Happy customer to an unique service”

written by CG42 on 25/03/2013

Reliable online site. Jar sweeping system is outstanding. They pay the going interest rates. Phone staff are always helpful. Security is well observed and works excellently. Shame no other bank tried to set up a comparable system for competition, but I suspect they were thought to be unbeatable.

“Terrible telephone security, withdraw debit cards...”

written by on 27/05/2010

Terrible telephone security, withdraw debit cards before expiry date without sending new ones. Started off as a decent service years ago but seems to be being left to die. Get the feeling they'd rather we all moved our custom elsewhere - have decided to do just that.

“ ”

written by on 23/01/2010

An incredibly bad service.

I applied for a cash ISA - filled in the forms and sent them by post.

Received a letter requesting my landline number.

Had to ring them and wait... and wait... eventually got through. Gave them the number.

Tried logging on to if.com to add money to my cash ISA account.

No luck.

Terrible.

“I really can't recommend intelligent Finance as an...”

written by on 07/01/2010

I really can't recommend intelligent Finance as an internet bank account. They seem to have been named, like the Ministry of Defence or the Department of Health, the opposite of what it really is.

I've jotted down some of the many unexpected features of their online banking service which you may not discover until you try to use it.

Endless security is a pain and I doubt makes any real difference to security. What's the point of multiple numeric codes which have to be written down, rather than a single piece of memorable text?

And they don't seem use consistent names for each of the passwords so you end up looking for the 10-digit one, rather than your customer id or whatever they are currently calling it.

The website logs you out if you don't click on something every minute or so, so I frequently get logged out whilst trying to set up payments, or whatever.

It won't let you set up multiple payments for different purposes to the same recipient account. The workaround is to amend the payment instructions each time, which requires a text message from them to you with yet another code which you type into the website to authorise the instructions.

If you are outside the UK, and not on your UK mobile number, this doesn't work so you will end up calling them and going through a 10 minute phone call to arrange things which other banks do online.

Outward BACS payments are free but take up to 5 days to hit the recipient's bank account, which is two days longer than the already slow three days almost all other UK banks allow themselves - despite the fact that being electronic it happens within the space of an hour or two.

If you want to pay a cheque into your account, it can only be done by posting it to Livingstone. Despite the fact that they are a sub of Halifax, there was no counter service last time I checked.

Contrary to another user's comments the website only lets you review a limited number of transactions - previous ones are dropped from the website and cannot be reviewed. In my case with around 20 transactions per month, I can usually see up to 3 months of activity. Anything before that is lost.

Unfortunately this means I have to manually copy any relevant transactions into a spreadsheet which rather defeats the point of the exercise.

There is no integration with MS Money or Quicken, or any possibility of downloading transactions.

The site is clunky to use, and when 'security' prevents you doing something, often there isn't any message at all - you're left wondering why it isn't working, and re-trying.

There is a daily limit of 10k on outward payments via the web. Any more than that and you will have to phone them to arrange it.

They don't tell you this when you hit the limit - you're left to guess why it didn't work. And on the phone they were quite unwilling to admit it is a blanket limit - but then called it a security feature.

The web interface is poorly designed, dysfunctional, and hasn't changed since it launched. Security appears to be a mish-mash of ill-thought out features.

I opened this account because I have a few accounts with First Direct, and wanted to try IF, which had some good reviews in the early days, but FD are head and shoulders above IF in the quality of their internet banking and their service which has only got better.

I'm sure IF must have some good points, but compared to FD I just can't think what they are. I wish I hadn't bothered with IF and I only came on this site to look for alternatives as I'm finally going to switch accounts.

“IF security measures are way over the top. Am trying...”

written by jmh88 on 27/10/2009

IF security measures are way over the top. Am trying to pay a credit card (not If) bill online and need to change the card number as I have been issued a new card but you cannot do it 'on line' without giving them your mobile number so that they can text you for security reasons. You cannot just enter your mobile either, you have to phone them to set it up. So spent an hour collating the numerous codes you need to just speak to them only to find they close at 8pm. AHHH! If I had 3 weeks to spare I would love to change bank accounts. Why does the advancement of technology make everything so complicated?

“It was a few years ago that I was with IF, but I...”

written by puma613 on 07/04/2009

It was a few years ago that I was with IF, but I thought id tell you my experience. (it wasn't good in the end!)

Everything ran fine for a while then suddenly my debit card kept bouncing payments. There were enough funds in the account but if I wanted to buy petrol at a petrol station say, the payemnt would be rejected. Also direct debits stopped working and the automatic payment that went from the current account to the loan account (loan repayment - the loan was with IF so this was internal to them) stopped working.

So obviusly there was something wrong with my account but trying to get that message through to them even after about a dozen phone calls / emails was impossible. They just said the problem isnt at their end, if the direct debit wasnt working it was down to the company requesting the payment.

2 months of this and I had to threaten to cancel my account before they finally showed any interest in the problem, someone looked into it at IF and phoned me up and said a block had been put on my account in error (am admin arror at their end), thats why all these payments had been rejected, said he'd put £30 on to my account as compensation, but that never happened.

Totally disgusted with them I moved to First Direct whose customer service is a million times better (they actually care and dont just tell you any old rubbish to get rid of you).

This was 6 years ago though and im sure loads of people get a good service from them but I won't have anything to do with them ever again.

“I've banked online with IF for about 4 years. Great...”

written by on 03/04/2009

I've banked online with IF for about 4 years. Great site, really good facilities, and apart from the hassle of the loads of numbers and codes you need to remember if you ever want to do anything not online which seems a bit over the top (jar, personal number, etc etc) its a really reliable service that does what it says on the tin.

“Very frustrating to deal with in general. Not only...”

written by bynoes13 on 12/09/2008

Very frustrating to deal with in general. Not only does one has to contend with bank account no, sort code but also you will be required to memorise 10-digit no, a plan security code, username, password, jar number not to mention personal security questions like father's first name, mother's name etc etc. It is all unnecessary and extremely aggravating! All of which is required for online banking!

“My wife and I have been with IF for over a year now...”

written by on 30/01/2008

My wife and I have been with IF for over a year now and so far we've been impressed with the level of service we've had from IF. Our mortgage, current and savings account is with IF, we currently have an interest only offset mortgage which we allows you to over pay. We don't earn interest on our savings or current account as these are offset against the mortgage.

“For years I paid a small amount of money into a Cash...”

written by SteveNaive on 27/11/2007

For years I paid a small amount of money into a Cash ISA with IF. I would have interested credited once a year and everything was rosy in the garden. That was until I wanted to withdraw most of my money (£10,500) to pay a lump off my mortgage when remortgaging. I tried to transfer the amount from IF to my nominated current account with Lloyds. I was informed that this was not possible over the internet! Not bad for a web based account! I then called their customer services who informed that they would set up the transfer manually. So they did and I waited for a week for the money to arrive. Needless to say it didn't. I then called back and was told the transfer had failed. I could ask for them to reissue the transfer and wait or pay £30 for a CHAPS transfer. Biting my tongue I requested that they should wave the charge on the CHAPS transfer since it was their fault I had not received my money - and incurred charges on my mortgage due to having to move my completion date. They agreed and I waited for the money to arrive the same day. The next day the money had still not arrived and they couldn't understand why. So we had to reissue the transfer again! All in all it took 3 weeks to get my money. I lost a couple of hundred pounds on higher mortgage payments and 'not very Intelligent Finance' refused to even acknowledge that they had a problem with their systems. I would avoid this company as they clearly have no idea what they are doing despite being part of the HBoS chain (or maybe that's part of the problem)!

“When I first signed up with IF Internet Banking, the...”

written by cowlibob on 22/03/2006

When I first signed up with IF Internet Banking, the site frequently blocked access. I was later told that my security questions, username and password were case sensitive. Probably a user error, but a pit fall all the same.

I like to list the direct debits which have yet to be payed this month, in order to get an accurate idea of how much I can spend / save. With cahoot, the best way was to list the direct debits, and it would show a table of DD names, dates and values all on one page. IF lists a name and occurance (variable or fixed), but not the last date or amount paid. For this info, you have to open the DD detail page, then navigate back and go to the next one etc.

Recent Transactions does just that, there is no way (that I can find) to see statements from more than one month ago

“The only problem I have with IF Internet Banking is...”

written by jules36 on 14/12/2005

The only problem I have with IF Internet Banking is that sometimes you just can't access the site, but when it is up it's great.

Asked by rsjw on 4th February 2014 Report this content
I have an interest only mortgage with IF that is due to end in 2020. I have received a letter from them asking me to provide evidence of my repayment plan - ie copies of statements, endowment policy projections etc. Do they have the authority to demand this? So far I have told them that I am overpaying on the mortgage, plan to sell by 2018 and have the means to meet any shortfall. Is that enough?

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site