Harriet Kelsall Jewellery Design Reviews - www.hkjewellery.co.uk

Media Gallery for Harriet Kelsall Jewellery Design www.hkjewellery.co.uk

“Great bespoke service”

written by nmOlson1984 on 10/05/2017

Recently had a bespoke engagement ring re-made after the original was unfortunately lost. The service was as good as it was at the time of the original and we are thrilled with the quality and design of the new ring. On our experience I would thoroughly recommend Harriet Kelsall. They were very helpful, knowledgeable and professional.

“Harriet Kelsall - terrible quality, poor advice,...”

written by Rebecca83 on 28/02/2017

I would not advise using this company. Similarly to other posters on this thread, I have been disappointed by the quality of the wedding ring provided by this company, and they have failed to respond adequately to complaints. I approached Harriett Kelsall particularly because I wanted expert advice regarding the qualities of various metals. The brief was that I wanted a wedding ring that would not trigger metal allegies and would be retain its high shine appearance well. Budget was not a particular issue. I was originally interested in commisioning a set of Platinum rings but was persuaded to buy two Palladium wedding rings as my wife wanted a more intricately designed ring than I did. I was told that my simpler Palladium ring would retain a high shine finish 'just as well as Platinum'. This has turned put to be far from true. My expensive 'bespoke' wedding band was scratched and dented within hours of my marriage taking place. Further, the 'bespoke' Mobius twist band that was 'designed' for me is available on the business website for general purchase for far less than I paid. I seem to have been charged in excess of £500 for some minor engraving work to an off the shelf ring. Not what I signed a contract for. When the rings arrived it also became clear that when sizing them the designer had not taken into account that fact that she was sizing the ings on a freezing cold winter day and, of course, they were both uncomfortably tight on delivery. I had my ring resized by HK, for which I incurred a further charge. I will admit it was silly of us not to spot this potential issue but, frankly, when we were considering so many other aspects of the design that is the type of issue I would expect a jewellery designer to remind you about. I did subsequently find out that the 'professional jewellery designer' offering us advice at our design session held no jewellery design qualifications; she has since left the business. I have attempted to book an appointment to speak to the owner of the business, about these issues, however, she simply refuses to answer e-mails. I have sought the opinion of a reputable London jeweller on my ring and they are damning about the quality of the work. In the absence of a response from the company I am seriously considering a small claim. Avoid this company at all costs, either seek a fully qualified jeweller to design any bespoke item or ensure your consumer rights by buying off the shelf from a regular retailer.

“So pleased I went back again”

written by NMacKenzie1 on 05/10/2016

My mother loves rings so for her 70th birthday I decided to commission one from Harriet Kelsall Jewellery. I had bought earrings and necklaces from the purple label range for 18th and 21st birthday presents so I knew the company already and had met some of the staff. The designer I sat down spent a long time discussing my mother's taste in jewellery, the materials and stones I wanted to use and that I wanted the ring to reflect my mother's love of the sun and the sea. I left feeling confident that I would be pleased with the result. I was kept informed of the ring's progress. I was delighted with the result. The ring came in a beautiful presentation box and helpful paperwork on looking after the ring. My mother was speechless - and that is something that rarely happens. She was thrilled. Four years on my mother decided the ring sat better with a band ring underneath it. That solved my problem as to what to get her for her 75th birthday. This time I involved her in the process. Despite not having the biggest budget the designer and her assistant spent over two hours with us, giving advice, providing my mother with rings of differing settings, widths, and materials to try on and generally make the process so enjoyable for her. We had taken the first ring with us and they asked us to leave it so they could have it polished up to match the new one. Again we had regular updates as to the ring's progress. The new style presentation box is beautiful and I really appreciated that they gave us one which held both rings. The original ring sparkled as much as the new one. My mother was delighted with it. Recently we sailed on the Queen Elizabeth and she received many compliment on both rings and was asked where she had got them from. As an aside I spent some time looking in both national and independent jewellers for what I could have bought with the same budget. I definitely made the right decision as I didn't see anything that was as individual or interesting as the ring Harriet Kelsall made for my mother.

“Well made, but overpriced.”

written by Howard492 on 05/01/2016

I have bought a few items from Harriet Kelsall. Everything has been well made, and beautifully packaged, but they are very expensive for what they are. We are paying for the design, which is not always that original, anyway, and , probably, they have high overheads for their premises, and these are being passed on to the customer. I would, however, recommend them to someone who wanted a bespoke item made. In addition, I wish they DID run a shopping basket. Not everyone wants to discuss their purchases with a sales person, believe it or not.

Hkbespokejewellery's Comment

Written on: 19/01/2016

Dear Howard492 - thank you for the compliments on the quality of our jewellery. I'm sorry to hear that you feel that it is expensive, but if I may just respond? Our customers don't pay for the design work – we set our finished prices to match the UK average for equivalent or similar ready-made pieces sold without any design service. We use authoritative industry data to know this and we're proud of this fact, because it means customers receive our personal design service for, in effect, no extra cost. We are able to match the UK average because our business model does not include expensive prime retail premises yet we have the benefit of being of a sufficient size to have expert in-house gemstone buying skills and precious metal bulk buying discounts.
With regards to your comment on a Shopping Basket - you are quite right - we have one under construction on our bespoke site (one already exists on our dress jewellery site) and it will go live shortly. We have not rushed into this because the majority of our customers have so far rather talked to our designers about their purchase, than buy online, but this is changing. I am delighted that you feel you can recommend us for bespoke as that is our core business.

Read 1 Comment

“Jenny's 21st birthday gift”

written by Janice Elaine on 30/05/2014

I wanted to give my daughter a unique and special gift for her 21st birthday. I contacted Harriet Kelsall Jewellers and discussed with one of HK's jewellery designers the idea of a bespoke gold and diamond ring. I didn't want something that looked like a wedding or an engagement ring and I really liked the idea of a wishbone shaped ring. I was absolutely delighted with the ring that was designed and hand-made for my daughter by the team at Harriet Kelsall. If you are wanting a bespoke beautiful piece of jewellery I recommend that you get in touch with them. She is thrilled with her unique ring - which you can view on their website under the heading of bespoke rings. Janice Hanson - a very satisfied customer!

“Handle With Care!”

written by on 23/02/2014

Whilst looking for an engagement ring, my design experience with HK was pleasant in their impressive showrooms / workshop near Hertford, good personal sales service, wonderful designs and ethical approach, however after that I had really nothing but trouble. A 'courtesy' card was sent to my home prior to my proposal, so my fiancée knew I was planning it and with whom, and she lost a stone from the ring just 10 days out of the box though a design/manufacturing fault causing lots of tears and upset, and I had to pay yet more money to rectify it for the long term. Just as expensive as Bond Street, no returns on bespoke rings, and you can be assured that the cost of these grand showrooms are passed on to the customer. If I could go back in time I would have gone with an old and established London jewellers, and fewer headaches. This might well have been a one off or just my bad luck, but I feel duty-bound to put up a less saccharine review, since that was my experience. Despite my big day approaching I daren't go back to get the matching wedding ring, and will look elsewhere.

“Engagement Ring”

written by Beckee on 18/12/2012

I'd like to say a massive thank you to Jemma for her fantastic service advice and politeness on our recently visit to buy my gorgeous engagement ring... she made it a really lovely experience and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend hk for beautiful special designs and great service.

“Fantastic in every way!!”

written by on 04/11/2012

Following some time looking at standard jeweller’s shops I knew I would like something a bit different for my engagement ring, and remembered that one of my friends had her ring designed at a firm near Cambridge. So, after a quick internet search I found Harriet Kelsall and my fiancé booked us an appointment at their Hertfordshire studios. The studio is quite a way for us to travel but it was most definitely worth the effort (although you can also have a phone/email appointment too!). Our designer, Jenna, was so lovely and helpful. Although I had had a very good look through the website (which is really great – it contains an amazing array of beautiful rings incorporating all different gemstones/metals with a great variety of designs), I still didn’t know exactly what I was hoping for. I knew I’d like to have a deep blue sapphire and something probably asymmetrical. Jenna drew several designs for us and developed the perfect design for me. We visited the studio twice, for an initial design session and then to see the sapphires that had been sourced for us to see. We chose one that was exactly the colour I was looking for and tweaked the final design very slightly. Jenna has great patience, which is lucky as I am very indecisive! The customer service provided at HK cannot be faulted, and they do a great cup of tea! A few weeks later, after some interim update emails, Jenna let us know the ring was ready. Unfortunately we were unable to pick it up for a couple of weeks, but Jenna very kindly emailed me a photo of the ring so that I could have a sneak pre-view! I am so pleased with my ring – it is exactly as I had hoped it would be, just perfect! It is particularly distracting when the sunlight hits it! HK thinks of every detail, even the box for my ring is lovely! Now I am very much looking forward to returning to the Hertfordshire studio to design my wedding ring!

“Could not of asked for more!”

written by girlies0506 on 08/09/2012

Thank you so much for my fabulous new bespoke ring. Rebecca and Victoria were fantastic through every step of the designing and making of my ring. I had an idea that I wanted a ring which was based on a ring that my Nan wore and that would incorporate the diamond from my engagement ring. Rebecca designed a ring that is totally me - I couldn't be happier and I have had so many lovely remarks from friends. The second diamond matches my own you could never tell they weren't meant to be together. My mum now wants to have my Nans ring re-made for her and we will of course be using Harriet Kelsall.

“Fabulous!”

written by CliveandNancy on 19/07/2012

We decided that we wanted something unique for our wedding day. Working with Jenna and Sarah we designed a beautiful set of engagement and wedding rings. They were both very professional and friendly - there were many, many more ideas and options than we'd imagined - and yet they were presented in such a way that deciding on the designs was a delightful journey rather than a headache! On collecting the rings we were delighted to find that the finished articles were truly beautiful. We can highly recommend HK and their designers.

“Beautiful Ring Design”

written by KatieDibb on 08/07/2012

My fiance and I used Harriet Kelsall Ring Design to create a ring of our own which would be unique to us and which would mean something to both of us, even though I was the one who would be wearing it. They gave him a lovely box with some sketched preliminary designs which he had worked out with them beforehand over the phone so that when he proposed he had something to propose with. It was so thoughtful, it even had a ribbon around the box and a note saying 'will you marry me' inside it, though Martin had already asked that question himself before he presented the box to me. When we went for our consultation with Harriet Kelsall, Jenna, the designer who worked with us, was so patient, showing us different metals and shapes and letting me try on different rings. She was friendly and fun and the consultation itself was really special on its own. When the ring arrived a few weeks later - it was absolutely beautiful. Everyone who has seen it has exclaimed about how beautiful and unique it is. Harriet Kelsall were perfect all the way through and hit a lovely balance of professional and friendly. We would both recommend them highly.

“Gorgeous Rose Gold Bespoke Wedding Ring”

written by on 23/06/2012

Kathleen at Harriet Kelsall designed my bespoke ring. From first contact, through the design process until I received my ring this company has exceeded all my expectations. It was also very reasonably priced despite my initial reservations that bespoke would mean out of my price range! The design process was simple and fun and I got to see several options before I commissioned it. Further more it was all done by e-mail so didn't take numerous trips to get sorted! When I received my beautiful ring I got slightly misty eyed. It was exaclty as I had imagined, and Kathleen is incredibly talented. It is gorgeous and it fits perfectly! The delicate conflict free stones are also amazing! The ring is so personal and pretty that I cannot wait to get to wear it! I also love that it is so unique and unusual and that it sits perfectly with my ER. The box and packaging was lovely too - and goes perfectly with our brown/neutrals colour scheme. My H2B will be really jealous he decided not to get one designed too when he sees it! I will be recommending Harriet Kelsall to all of my friends.

“Amazing Bespoke Engagement Ring”

written by D_Fish_99 on 19/06/2012

I new that I didn't want a bog standard engagement ring. So I searched for rings and kept finding load on HK website but automatically thought that we could never afford it. My h2b went looking for the right ring in jewellers and failed, I then joined him the only ring we saw which I quite like but cost £1300 which was way over budget for something that was not where near perfect. In the end he said we could look for bespoke. I was so excited and new exactly where I wanted to go HK. I booked an appointment for the next weekend and spent a week going through pictures and working out what I liked in different rings. I pretty much put together a presentation on what I wanted (I am a bit over organised) and when we went they took the time to listen to me and talk through what I wanted. I got to try on some amazing rings and then she sketched and I suggested things and she sketched some more and then my perfect ring appeared. They were so lovely during the design appointment and gave us options on how to keep the cost down. They kept us updated all the way through. I was so excited when I got the call a few days early to say the ring was ready and they delivered it so I got it the next day. My ring is perfect for me, is completely unique and while it wasn't cheap it was cheaper than the not perfect ring from a standard jeweller. I just cant wait to go and design the wedding band to match!

“Beautiful wedding ring, lovely designer”

written by lulubug on 12/06/2012

My fiance proposed to me two years ago, with an unusually set princess cut diamond engagement ring. As the setting of the ring was unusual, we could not find a wedding band to fit around it on the high street and I came across Harriet Kelsall's website whilst searching for an alternative. From the first phone call requesting a design appointment, to picking up my finished wedding band, the service has been exceptional. Kathleen Gill met with us in their Hertfordshire Studio (which is in a lovely setting that will make you wish you had brought a picnic & blanket) and she could not have been more polite, attentive and enthusiastic about our ring. My only concern during our initial appointment, caused as a result of the picture perfect setting of the studio, the complimentary coffee and the extremely attentive design appointment we were having... was that there was no way we would ever be able to afford anything from here. However, Kathleen quoted us less than we had been quoted by a high street jeweller for a similar(but much less beautiful)ring. Kathleen took the time to sketch and re-sketch our design until it was perfect and kept us fully informed with progress updates until my ring was finished. My finished ring is exactly how I imagined it and this is a testament to Kathleen's design skills. I could not recommend Harriet Kelsall Jewellery design more highly. If you are looking for a truly first class customer service experience, in a beautiful setting then I recommend you visit their hertfordshire studio.

“Bespoke engagement ring”

written by Ellie84 on 17/03/2012

I stumbled across HK Jewellery when trawling the internet trying to find inspiration for my engagement ring. I'm quite particular about what I like, and my partner knew from the start I wanted to choose my own ring so he just left me to it! I had some ideas of the style of ring I'd like but found nothing that matched what I had in my head. When I came across the HK website I was pleasantly surprised at how vast their gallery of bespoke (and ready to wear) engagement rings is and how good the website is (lots of information as well as pictures). I got many ideas from looking at all the rings and soon sent an email to enquire about having a phone appointment (as we live in Edinburgh). I was soon discussing my ideas with my designer and after many emails back and forth with a few sketches (and me changing my mind a lot) we finally agreed on a style to go ahead with that was within our budget. Then the waiting began! I was quite apprehensive waiting for the ring as I had never seen it in the flesh, didn't know how it would look and if I would like it! But I needn't have worried - I was very pleased with the end result when it finally arrived. I love the ring and am so happy I happened across the HK website as it means I now have my very own, unique and very special engagement ring! I smile every time I see it as I love firstly what it represents and secondly how lovely it is and that it has been made specially for me. My partner loves it too! Every step of the way all my correspondance with all the staff involved was very polite and everyone I spoke to/emailed was very helpful. I would definitely recommend to anyone who is thinking of going bespoke!

“Bespoke hand engraved wedding ring”

written by on 30/01/2012

As I will be wearing my wedding ring every day for the rest of my life I wanted something special. Due to the nature of my job I couldn’t wear a ring set with a stone on a daily basis. After visiting high street jewellers I couldn’t find anything I liked and didn’t know what I wanted. I came across HKs website while trawling the internet for inspiration. The website was really good with lots of pictures of previous bespoke designs that gave me a few ideas. I still wasn’t sure what I wanted or if I could get something specially made for my budget and, as I live in Scotland, I couldn’t just pop into the shop for a chat. I called HK and they arranged a telephone appointment for a chat with a designer at a time that was convenient for me. The designer was really helpful giving me plenty of suggestions when I didn’t know what I wanted. By the end of the conversation I was sure I could get something I really wanted within my budget. I was a little surprised and anxious that I was required to pay a 50% deposit at this stage as I hadn’t seen any drawings and had nothing in writing. However the designer sent me three hand drawn designs within a couple of days. I liked aspects of them all but still wasn’t sure, so I re-contacted the designer who was really helpful. She took on board what I liked and didn’t like about the three designs and sent me a new design that was exactly what I wanted. Throughout the process I was kept up-to-date at all times via email. When my ring was finished HK called me to arrange delivery and take the rest of the payment. I was quite nervous about receiving my ring as I had now paid the full amount and hadn’t seen anything except a drawing. However I needn’t have been, my ring arrived the next day and it was better than I had expected. I would also mention that, as my partner and I had decided to get married at relatively short notice, it only left a short time within which to order and make my ring. HK assured me it would be ready in time, however I expected it to be a week or two before. Instead it arrived over a month before the wedding and now I have to wait to wear it. Overall this service was brilliant, I got a ring that is unique to me for around the same price as I would have paid for something less special on the high street.

“Fantastic service, excellent results.”

written by on 29/12/2011

I originally clicked onto the website of Harriet Kelsall Jewellery Design while looking for a type of engagement ring that didn't fit the current High Street fashions. The site has a huge and very helpful gallery of previous designs sorted by metal, stone, and design. I found one that I liked and called the company, who talked through designing a unique variation of it. The staff were faultlessly professional and helpful, and really seemed keen on getting me just what I wanted (and giving helpful suggestions when my answer was 'I don't know'!). They then sent me a sketch of the final design to approve. The finished product arrived exactly when they said it would, and it is beautiful - exactly what I wanted. I can't say I noted any great increase in price either compared to buying a similar ring on the High Street. I would highly recommend this company to anyone looking for a bespoke engagement ring, and I fully intend to go back to them for the wedding rings!

“If you are looking for something special - look no more! ”

written by TheTaylorFamily on 07/12/2011

We found a beautiful engagement ring online which took us to the Harriet Kelsall website - it was a one off design and truly unique and utterly stunning. We contacted the office and all staff we spoke with were polite and incredibly accommodating. We made the decision to get the engagement ring pretty much then and there, and we were so impressed that we decided we wanted our wedding rings made by the same team. They offered practical advice about options for making the wedding band fit perfectly alongside the engagement ring, and everyone that we spoke with seemed to have an alomost innate knowledge about jewellery design and overflowing ideas. The end results are amazing - exactly what we wanted and we are looking forward to wearing them for the rest of our lives. Highly highly recommended! The Taylor family

“Great experience designing something really personal”

written by on 06/12/2011

I found Harriet Kersall on the internet and was really impressed by the website - it's helpful to have so many ideas to begin from. They seem happy to work with any budget, and provide you with lots of time, ideas (and good coffee) while you work with them on the design. The engagement ring I ended up was so individual and beautiful, and I couldn't be more pleased. My designer was Rebecca Howarth, and she's very much recommended.

“Inherited jewellery and my engagement ring re designed”

written by ClareKehoe on 06/12/2011

I had inherited earrings from my Mum over 23 years ago and as you can imagine they were very precious to me but unfortunately not to my taste. I did wear one pair of earrings on my wedding day but not since then. They were my Mums favourite earrings and I felt guilty about keeping them in a box and never wearing them. After much talk with family and friends I decided to look into having them re worked into my engagement ring. I was aware of Harriet Kelsall Jewellery Design as they are close to where I live. I rang and had a brief chat with them reagrding my wishes and I liked the fact that I could go in, meet with Kerrie the designer for a free consultation but not feel obliged to go any further should I have doubts. I loved the fact that I was completed involved in the re working of the jewellery with both Kerrie and Sarah, they were patient and understanding of the fact that I was making a huge decision regarding my Mum's earrings and changing the look of my engagement ring that I had worn for over 20 years. Every tiny detail was discussed, Kerrie drew out the design, then took all my jewellery to the goldsmith whilst I was there to ensure it was feasible. At the beginning of the consultation Kerrie had asked me my rough budget and this was kept in mind through the whole process so there were no suprises at the end. I was not pressured into making a decision whilst I was there, I went home and had a chat with my husband and we made the decision together.I should also add that a week into agreeing to go ahead with the redisign I rang Kerrie up and asked if I could add some more diamonds of my own into the ring, she was not fazed by this added change and we went ahead with this. I was told it would take six weeks to make, I was emailed regularly by Sarah, Kerrie's assistant, with regular updates and true to form the ring was ready six weeks later. I was completed blown away when i saw it... it far exceeds my expectations and is just as lovely as I hoped.I think my Mum would be very happy with it and would be green with envy! I wanted to ensure it had a vintage twist to it as a nod towards the fact the eariing were over 50 years old. I would certainly recommend Harriet Kelsall as I can't think of anything more special than being involved in your own jewellery design and it gives the piece extra special meaning.