Double Glazing & Conservatory Ombudsman Scheme Reviews - www.dgcos.org.uk

“NOT AN OMBUDSMAN OF VALUE”

written by HudsonBolton156 on 16/09/2022

This organisation pretends to give protection to the consumer but the reality is they represent the industry first and foremost. When I had a problem with one of their 'members' I followed their guidance and protocols to the letter, using keywords from their website, but within a short while of lodging a complaint against the firm in question they had passed judgement in favour of them. It would appear that whilst I was following the proper procedures the firm in question did not and already had them pass judgement before I made contact with the DGCOS. It took a legal representative (with evidence I presented the DGCOS) less than a day to get the firm in question to admit liability, which is what I was led to believe the DGCOS would do. Don't waste your time employing firms that use the DGCOS as a selling point, for us they appeared as dishonest as the firm's they represent.

“Best possible help when needed”

written by CindyCopeland on 03/04/2017

I ordered double glazed windows from a reputable firm, paid my deposit of 50%. After many months delay and the final payment they duly arrived but were unsuitable. I chased the firm for a solution which was eventually offered but they then failed to respond to any of my queries. After nearly eleven months I contacted DGCOS who couldn't have been more helpful. They said leave it with them which I gratefully did. In a little less than three weeks I heard from them and was told that I would receive 90% of the money I paid.This, I have received. I can't praise their staff too highly for the efficient and sympathetic way my complaint was handled. Thank you.

“Dispute with supplier on quality.”

written by SienaButcher184 on 25/03/2017

Following the installation of two sub-standard doors and faced with a company who would not enter into sensible dialogue and months of delays I asked dgcos to intervene. Best result for us would have been a 100% refund of the money paid and being able to keep the product until we purchased a replacement from another source. They manage to achieve what seemed the impossible on both accounts and we are delighted to recommend them to all. Many Thanks dgcos.

“Fantastic”

written by snBuchanan161 on 13/03/2017

I cannot highly recommend the DGCOS in particular the lady who has been dealing with my complaint. She has shown compassion and professionalism towards us and has been at the end of the telephone to answer our questions. She is a real asset to the DGCOS and I would have to say she has resolved our issues in a timely manner. I have to say that as a valued member of staff im sure she has gone above and beyond her duties to make sure that every step of our complaint was dealt with. FANTASTIC STAFF WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND

“Sounds great but all is not as it should be”

written by on 31/08/2012

3 years ago, prior to the formation of DGCOS, I used what I thought was a reputable double glazing installer to supply windows, french doors and a sizable lantern light for my new orangery. The family run company was by no means cheap but I was happy to pay the extra to get what I believed would be a high quality product and good service. All went well until the roof began leaking at the beginning of this year and seriously damaged an antique dining room table directly below. I contacted the Manging Director who was barely interested let alone apologetic about the leak and resultant damage, and I was instructed to make contact with a double glazing company local to me (rather than send someone down from Yeadon, Leeds) to arrange for them to carry out the remedial work which they did by putting unsightly mastik around all the external roof ridge joints and finials because they were not familiar with the construction of this roof. I then emailed them again regarding compenstion for the repair to the table and after several phone calls (some with him) received a letter stating the company was not liable for consequential loss (despite presumably having public liability insurance) and suggesting that I claim on my household insurance. He also stated that 'this type of orangery does not require sealing as there is a sealer already built into the joint' a fact which his own installers hopefully would have known and yet he sent a third party who had no idea how to correctly fix the leak, let alone dismantle the structure to check where the water was getting in and - guess what - it is still leaking! I contacted DGCOS when Franklins declined to respond to a further letter about the damage to the table and unsatisfactory repairs to be told that because my installation was over 2 years old, it was not illegible. Maybe the installation was in 2009, but it is worrying that they paid little heed to the fact that this same company is on their list of approved manufacturers/installers and in 2012 is offering extremely poor service to its customers in other words DGCOS is offering little or no protection to the consumer.

Dgcos's Comment

Written on: 15/09/2015

Hello

My name is Mark and I am the Customer Service manager for DGCOS. I’m very sorry that I haven’t replied to this post sooner, I’ve only recently become aware of this website.

I’m really sorry you didn’t get the service and support you expected from us. It may be too late for your particular situation but I’d like to clarity, if possible, the circumstances of this case.

It seems your installer; in this case Franklins, became a member of the scheme shortly after you had your windows and doors fitted.

It is perhaps unfortunate but we can only protect the work completed by an installer throughout their period of membership. This cannot extend to work completed prior to membership or in some cases after their membership is terminated.

However, when work is completed by an installer who is a member who ceases to trade as a business or loses DGCOS membership the work they completed during their membership will still be covered until the end of the contract period (for example the end of the 10 year warranty).

We’re really proud that DGCOS continues to have some of the strictest accreditation requirements in the industry. All of our members have had to go through a 12 –point accreditation process as well as on-going evaluations and customer satisfaction surveys for all work completed whilst a member of the scheme. The details of our accreditation process can be found on our website (i'm sorry this site doesn't allow me to add links).

I know a significant amount of time has passed already but if you’re still experiencing any issues with your installer please feel free to contact me and I’ll be happy to offer any advice I can.

For more information about DGCOS, our installers or how we protect consumers please visit our website.

Paul1529's Comment

Written on: 30/03/2016

I recently contacted DGCOS to find out more information on one of their members. The only information they would give me was they have been a member since 2011. I don't see how this scheme helps the consumer or the trader if they do not publish the reviews of the company. Furthermore how can they give a company 5 stars without publishing that survey or review. DGCOS are recommending companies based on surveys they have sent out in the post. Some unscrupulous firms could provide false names and addresses of friends, family and employees to give them this 5 star rating and who would know? By the way everyone is protected by the consumers rights law, which is impartial and not made up of paid up members of the DGCOS.

Consumerprotectionchampion's Comment

Written on: 11/03/2017

DGCOS can help consumers who use their accreditated members during their period of membership, even if membership has lapsed or been removed. It does not have any duristicton regarding non members or work carried out outside of membership. The benefits and protection provided to consumers are unsurpassed in the double glazing sector.
However, consumers wanting DGCOS protection should ensure they use a current member when the sign a contract or have work carried out.

Read 3 Comments

“DGCOS what the double glazing / conservatory industry...”

written by alexjohnp on 31/10/2011

I would like to offer my wholehearted support for the Ombudsman scheme it contains all of the safeguards that the Consumer desperately needs from the Double Glazing and Conservatory industry, which currently are not there. Any current protection if the consumer can find it in the maze of different associations is heavily slanted towards the association’s members and at a cost to the consumer that is exorbitant. Sadly I was not able to access the Ombudsman scheme to help me in my situation as the Ombudsman was not in force when the conservatory on my property was fitted. The details of my case are a stark warning to other consumers not to go to a company that is not in the Ombudsman scheme. The details of my case are simple I bought a house that had a conservatory fitted approx. 9 years previously and it was within the 10 years guarantee supplied by the company that fitted it. The company a medium sized company in North Lancashire that had been trading since the early 1900s and was an accredited installer of a National roof manufacturing company, it confirmed to me that the conservatory warranty was on the installation and not the original owner so was fully transferable to me. On buying the property i found that the conservatory leaked badly through the roof and window frames and asked the company who installed it to fix the problems as it was still under guarantee. Sadly over a 12 month period they were unable to fix the problems as the whole structure was badly installed. I also found later that the original owner had also tried for the previous 9 years to get the problems rectified but to no avail. The company tried to blame the leaking conservatory on the house wall and tried to obtain work to the value of £3000 on the house as they said to fix the problem, but the work was not needed as the house wall was sound as certified by a local builders examination. I wrote to the Director of the firm to disagree that it was the house and that it was the conservatory build that was substandard. The firm would not reply to my letters. I tried to obtain help from the National Company that supplied the Conservatory roof as it was still under their guarantee and the company that installed the conservatory was on their approved installers scheme. The National companies own website states

“Fantastic scheme and peace of mind”

written by on 25/09/2011

We bought a house a year ago that required an overhaul of windows and doors. looking into this we realised that there were hundreds of companies, a lack of regulation among them and numerous horror stories from many customers regarding cowboy firms. By chance we saw an article about the DGC ombudsman scheme on breakfast TV and we contacted them. They were very professional and provided me with a company that covered our area (Sealtite Windows). It was surprising how few companies were registered on the scheme but i presume that this was because the scheme is relatively new and companies are required to undergo stringent assessment prior to being registered. As it was, Sealtite windows were excellent-good quality workmanship, punctual and efficient. Though we had a minor problem with 2 windows, this was quickly and efficiently rectified which may reflect why the company is on the DGCOS. As for DGCOS themselves, they provided me with documentation confirming warranty and protection for any complaints regarding installation and called regularly to insure that we were happy with Sealtite Windows work both during and after the process. DGOS allowed us to employ a firm that had been regulated/assessed in some form, provided us with a contact should we not be happy and also gave us peace of mind in knowing that we have a degree of protection for the work in the future...and all this if free!! An excellent scheme that is not before time and i would recommend to all those considering major window works.

“Double Glazing and Conservatory Ombudsman Scheme(DGCOS)”

written by Mick-from-Brum on 22/09/2011

We had a patio area of approximately 5.5 square metres that was a joined on two sides, by a bay window, and at on the a joining side by a kitchen extension built in 1991, this being not suitable for a simple "off the shelf" conservatory design, we decided that we needed a conservatory supplier who could suggest a design that that would be suitable for our needs. We decided that we needed a quality supplier to meet these requirements, so we used a supplier in our local area recommended by the DGCOS, we used "Oasis Windows" based in the West Midlands. The salesman who came out was in no way "pushy", and even invited us to his home to view his own conservatory, and discuss what could be offered. His plans were in enough detail for us to visualize, what his company could do, the suggested design would serve as conservatory, but also give appearance of an extension in keeping with the rest of the house, so we asked the company to proceed with the build. right through the build from initial survey to completion, all the staff involved were courteous, friendly, tidy and helpful with any concerns we had, the result is we have added a useful room onto the house, which is in keeping with the existing house and the extension,made the house more secure, and increased the comfort of the house during cold weather. An initial deposit(with the reassurence that it is protected by the DGCOS scheme) was paid to the company, but the final bulk of payment was only requested after completion. On the basis of our experience I am glad that this was a supplier found through the DGCOS.

“DGCOS AND EXTRA WINDOWS”

written by on 09/09/2011

We needed to buy a new conservatory for our bungalow and began looking for a reliable company. What a minefield! My main concerns were the quality of the product and calibre of the installer, deposit safeguard, warranty, after-sales service and of course value for money. Reading some on-line the reviews (some of them horror stories) it seems there are too many unreliable companies around. Of the shortlisted companies I approached, one had apparently just started up again after going into liquidation, another was £5000 overpriced - but promised hand on heart that his conservatory wouldn’t leak when it rained (how reassuring), another would not quote until we were ready to place an order. During my research I came across DGCOS. They explained how they seriously vet their members; protect deposits paid to their member companies and act as an ombudsman in the case of any disputes etc. They really gave me peace of mind and I eventually placed an order with one of the two local DGCOS installers, namely EXTRA WINDOWS. DGCOS protected my deposit 100%. The builders and installers worked through November and December 2010, (remember that winter?), and our conservatory was ready in time for Xmas 2010. I would add that there was no 'hard sell', from their rep., just straight facts and advice. All the workers kept good timekeeping and kept us advised as to what was going on. I was very pleased with the foundation work and the finished product, so much so that we placed additional orders for replacement windows, soffits and fascias, and a new front door. How’s that for a reference! Again DGCOS protected my deposit 100%. During a latter inspection I noticed a small scratch on the lounge French door glass. EXTRA WINDOWS replaced this immediately without quibble. I would strongly recommend to anyone thinking of getting double glazing or a conservatory to contact with DGCOS first. It’s simple and it’s free and there’s no obligation, so why not? My dealings with DGCOS were very pleasant and reassuring. They are just a phone call away. It’s the most productive phone call I ever made. They’ll recommend a good installer and you’ll get deposit protection. Most of all you’ll get peace of mind. You won’t regret it.

“Thank you DGCOS”

written by on 06/09/2011

Around the time I was planning to replace my windows and doors (early 2010), I saw an interview on BBC Breakfast involving a representative from DGCOS, a new ombudsman organisation for the double glazing industry. Having had bad experiences with window companies in the past, the idea of de-risking the procurement, installation and maintenance process by taking advantage of the DGCOS free ‘protection package’ was very appealing to me, particularly as I was looking to replace 25 windows and 2 doors. When I contacted DGCOS I was surprised there were so few registered suppliers in my area, but having then looked at the accreditation process suppliers have to go through, I could imagine that many would find it difficult to evidence they had reached the standards demanded by DGCOS. I decided to invite 2 DGCOS members to bid for the work. Using DGCOS does not release you from your obligation to carry out personal research on the suppliers, check the quality of the products before purchase, or negotiate the estimates supplied by bidders. There was no pressure selling, no convoluted discounting mechanism, no calls to their managers, just a straight forward quote. I awarded the contract and paid my deposit, and was pleased to receive my deposit guarantee letter from DGCOS a few days later. I have an old house and was expecting a few problems with the installation, but it all went well, with little damage to the fabric of the building. There were a few post-installation problems with a couple of the units but these were quickly resolved by the manufacturer and the supplier without fuss. The units were fitted 8 months ago at the time of writing, and came with a 10 year guarantee that gives me genuine peace of mind. I would certainly recommend using the DGCOS service. Their accredited suppliers have already been subjected to a substantial amount of vetting, and the protection of the guarantees offered to customers via the scheme is reassuring.

“DGCOS - Crystal Clear, Bristol”

written by zok17 on 05/09/2011

When we first decided to look at new doors and a conservatory, we were new to the local area; so finding the right installer was very important to us. At our previous property we found Double Glazing companies merely bragged about how big they were rather than the level and quality of service they could offer. We had heard about the DGCOS and looked at the measures they put in place to ensure their members offered the highest standard of service. As a result we only contacted installers for quotations who were part of the scheme. We decided to go with Crystal Clear, Bristol. No sooner had they visited and quoted, DGCOS were in touch to ask how the quotation went and to ensure we had been dealt with in an ethical and professional manner. This is was comforting to know, as you hear so many bad stories about double glazing installers being pushy from the outset. We had new doors and a conservatory fitted, the DGCOS tracked our progress all the way through, which built our confidence further. It has to be said that Crystal Clear were excellent and professional throughout the installation and we are very satisfied with the with work that was carried out. We would certainly recommend that when looking for a Double Glazing installer, that people refer to those who are part of the DGCOS Scheme as this will give you greater peace of mind and the finished job will be of a high standard.

“Great Service”

written by on 02/09/2011

We used the DGCOS to get a number of quotes from reputable, checked companies to have double glazing installed. The companies they directed us to were efficient and had excellent service and extremely competitive and clear on price. We went with one of the companies and they did a cracking job at a good price and the service from start to finich was of the highest order.

“Thank you DGCOS!”

written by on 31/08/2011

When I wanted to put new windows in my flat, I didn't know which firm to choose. There are so many double-glazing companies listed on the internet. How could I be sure that they would do a good job? I have had a couple of bad experiences with double-glazing firms in the past. Quite by chance, I discovered the DGCOS, and I am so glad I did! I contacted them through the internet, and they came back to me within a couple of days. They recommended two firms in my area, both of whom gave me a reasonable quote. I would have been happy with either company. The firm I eventually chose, First Scenic, was excellent. From the outset they were very helpful. The two men who came to install the windows were extremely professional and did an excellent job. I now have my nice new windows, and am really happy with the result. I have already recommended the DGCOS to other people and will continue to do so. Thank you DGCOS for making the whole 'double-glazing' experience so much easier.

“At last an easy reliable way to get some windows fitted.”

written by Pablo66 on 23/08/2011

After experiencing the tedious and expensive selling techniques of one of the larger double glazing companies... (After half an hour this man couldn't give us a quote on two windows, insisting he had to complete a 2 hour pitch first, so we ejected him from our house) ...we found DGCOS. This is a great scheme that vets, strictly, companies first meaning we didn't have to sit through any more rubbish and also offered us protection against cowboy glaziers. We were then sent a details of a couple of local companies. One of which came round, gave us a reasonable quote, and fitted our windows. They did a great job. In short I can't recommend DGCOS enough. I will definitely use them again for any windows i need fitting. They gave me peace of mind and contact with a trustworthy local glaziers.

“Would not hesitate to recommend!”

written by on 17/08/2011

Knowledgeable, professional and efficient service. They are dedicated to providing excellent customer care and service, in light of the current economic climate this is a must. As we found out PRIOR to discovering dgcos, there are lots of unscrupilous businesses. We felt totally at ease using the company registered with the scheme. *dgcos provide a valuable service offering excellent advice and peace of mind. All information is detailed, clear and well presented. Their approach exceeded our expectations.

“New External Doors Fitted”

written by on 10/08/2011

About a year ago I needed to have three new external doors & frames fitted. I wanted good advice, a good product, good quality workmanship and at a good price. I heard about the DGCOS scheme and contacted them for a list of local businesses who were members of the scheme. I wanted some reassurance that there was a process in place to support me if anything went wrong, and by choosing a business that was one of their members I got that reassurance. My overall experience was a good one and the firm that I chose to carry out the work did so to my satisfaction. Without hesitation I would thoroughly recommend anyone wanting good quality work carried out to seriously consider using a business which is a member of DGCOS.

Asked by anees21 on 21st December 2021 Report this content
I have recently had new windows installed the contractor who I had renovations through told me they were fensa registered and that I would get a certificate and guarantee I've spent thousands of pounds to be told the company is not FENSA registered and also they won’t come to amend the leaks they have left in the windows. Is there anything I could do? I have spoken to trading standards and also fensa. Please advise if possible.

Asked by Rainbowskies on 4th August 2014 Report this content
I have to obtain an 'Expert Report' re my conservatory problem. What does this report have to contain ?

Asked by derekgannon on 21st February 2014 Report this content
I had a conservatory built in Dec 2004/Jan 2005. I am selling the house but the surveyour's report says the conservatory is moving and uneven. I believe I have a 10 year warranty so I am ok, however, the company has since folded that fitted the conservatory. Where/Who do I go to to get it fixed under warranty?