Portugal Walks Reviews - www.portugalwalks.com

Media Gallery for Portugal Walks - www.portugalwalks.com

Portugal Walks - www.portugalwalks.com

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“Let me say at the outset, that Portugal is a...”

Written on: 09/05/2011

Let me say at the outset, that Portugal is a magnificent country, and clearly Julie, founder of Portugal Walks, knows the country well. And again, on the positive side, we stayed in comfortable, clean establishments. That having been said, we chose to take a self-guided walk, and the directions were nothing short of a disaster. If anybody does this, it is imperative to carry a cell phone. Most of the time we could get in touch with Julie who did her best to set us straight. But we are fairly… Read Full Review

Strngwmn65's Comment

Written on: 13/07/2013

My sister and I had the same experience with the very poor directions that she provided. We are experienced hikers and we have always been provided excellent directions and notes for our self-guided walks by the companies that I have hired. Portugal Walks was a huge disappointment in this regard. I would definitely not recommend them.

Cfischer's Comment

Written on: 17/11/2013

I couldn't agree more. We are just back from a week long self-guided hike (The Best of Algarve). Our slim packet handed to us at the train station had daily hiking directions with a map with no legend. We were lost the first four days of hiking. We were without a phone and our only means of communication was with the internet at the hotels. We wrote Julie with our problems of getting lost and asked for a map legend. She said maps weren't even necessary because her directions were so good. We are seasoned hikers and these directions were ridiculous...we spent all our time trying to find our next right or left and not enjoying our hike. Also, the routes seemed manufactured just so we could get at least 10 miles a day in....at one point we did a loop between two farms before returning to the main road. I can do without barking dogs and intruding on farmers. No interpretation of towns or scenery or attractions. On a positive note, all the accommodations were good and our luggage was always at our next hotel. However, I would use another company that provides a cell phone and gps....and consider a bike tour....a better way to see the country.

Read 2 Comments