Portugal Walks Reviews - www.portugalwalks.com

• Beauty of scenery

Portugal Walks - www.portugalwalks.com - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Portugal Walks - www.portugalwalks.com

Portugal Walks - www.portugalwalks.com

“What a fantastic experience!”

Written on: 16/05/2017 by NealNYC (1 review written)

A friend, my wife, and I joined three others plus our guide on the Castles in the Air guided walking trip. I cannot say enough positive things about the walks, the accommodations, the guide, the pace, etc. Our guide was very knowledgeable and very considerate. She also was great, great fun which meant that all the time spent with her was so much fun. The pace was just great on the walks. I felt I had unrushed time to take photos along the way. She was terrific at adapting the walks to the… Read Full Review

“Brilliant All The Way”

Written on: 15/11/2016 by Martinaw (1 review written)

Portugal Walks and their partners TurAventur are a credit to organized walking holidays. We chose the Alentejos Steps Back in Time and can honestly say we were not disappointed.All of our six route were very scenic going through the vineyards, meadows, alongside the rivers and the final walk along the aquaduct into Evora a gem itself. The two hotels provided at the start of our walk were certainly top class with their food going from good to excellent. The farm house for the last stage of our… Read Full Review

“Treasure Hunt in the Algarve with Portugal Walks”

Written on: 12/11/2015 by Kpape1 (1 review written)

First, with regard to Portugal Walks, I would like to say that we enjoyed meeting the person I dealt with and found him quite helpful and the hikes were quite beautiful. I found the accommodations mostly pleasant, and I would say that it was worth getting upgrades to view rooms both in Lagos and in Sagres as they are well worth the few extra Euros. With regard to the hikes in particular, I would suggest that you bring three things. First, some kind of dog spray is essential. The dogs are… Read Full Review

“Well looked after”

Written on: 06/01/2014 by rarrar (1 review written)

Went on the WALKING PILGRIMAGE TO SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA in 2013 with Portugal Walks. Well organised, good value and with the advisorĀ guiding you know the food will be good ! Hotels were just right: small, comfortable and good enough for an overnight stay when lots of facilities would be a waste… Read Full Review

“We had ball”

Written on: 13/01/2013 by AlvaroRueda (1 review written)

We went on self organised holiday in the Algarve ( Best of Algarve) and had the best time. The walking notes were clear and if we did take a wrong turn it was our mistake as we were chatting too much. Accommodations were all different and excellent in their own separate ways. The transfers were always prompt efficient and the driver on time. In the week we experienced very different scenery from orange groves to mountains to countryside to cliffs - it was amazing. Thanks Julie for a great time… Read Full Review

“Just a great week”

Written on: 10/11/2011

We just spent a great week with Julie in the north of Portugal where we walked along the Lima Valley from the coast eastwards in land to take in the Penedes National Park. There was different scenery each day and and we were also given an insight into how the local people live, their traditions and history. We stayed at a small family hotel in Viana do Castelo where we were treated to some great dinners cooked personally for us. From here we moved to Casa da Arrabalde the home of Isabel and… Read Full Review

“Let me say at the outset, that Portugal is a...”

Written on: 09/05/2011

Let me say at the outset, that Portugal is a magnificent country, and clearly Julie, founder of Portugal Walks, knows the country well. And again, on the positive side, we stayed in comfortable, clean establishments. That having been said, we chose to take a self-guided walk, and the directions were nothing short of a disaster. If anybody does this, it is imperative to carry a cell phone. Most of the time we could get in touch with Julie who did her best to set us straight. But we are fairly… Read Full Review

Strngwmn65's Comment

Written on: 13/07/2013

My sister and I had the same experience with the very poor directions that she provided. We are experienced hikers and we have always been provided excellent directions and notes for our self-guided walks by the companies that I have hired. Portugal Walks was a huge disappointment in this regard. I would definitely not recommend them.

Cfischer's Comment

Written on: 17/11/2013

I couldn't agree more. We are just back from a week long self-guided hike (The Best of Algarve). Our slim packet handed to us at the train station had daily hiking directions with a map with no legend. We were lost the first four days of hiking. We were without a phone and our only means of communication was with the internet at the hotels. We wrote Julie with our problems of getting lost and asked for a map legend. She said maps weren't even necessary because her directions were so good. We are seasoned hikers and these directions were ridiculous...we spent all our time trying to find our next right or left and not enjoying our hike. Also, the routes seemed manufactured just so we could get at least 10 miles a day in....at one point we did a loop between two farms before returning to the main road. I can do without barking dogs and intruding on farmers. No interpretation of towns or scenery or attractions. On a positive note, all the accommodations were good and our luggage was always at our next hotel. However, I would use another company that provides a cell phone and gps....and consider a bike tour....a better way to see the country.

Read 2 Comments

“We had never been to Portugal before and were not sure...”

Written on: 05/10/2010 by lisasmith10 (1 review written)

We had never been to Portugal before and were not sure what to expect and all I can say is that we had a brilliant week. Portugal Walks were so helpful from the first e-mail inquiry until they met us from the train at Tunes. The accommodations were so different but good and the hosts in all the places were so friendly. Our driver Peter was always prompt and gave us background information that was not in the guide books and the walks were so very different that was what so great.
In April the… Read Full Review

“This is in response to a previous review about Madeira...”

Written on: 05/10/2010 by portugalwalks (1 review written)

This is in response to a previous review about Madeira which I thought was not at all our experience. We had a brilliant time, excellent service, great hotels and good walks.
The previous review was griping about one hotel where we had a a good clean room and good breakfast.
The whole trip from beginning to end was superb… Read Full Review

“Madeira is a spectacularly beautiful island; however,...”

Written on: 15/09/2010

Madeira is a spectacularly beautiful island; however, we went with portugalwalks.com and I can not recommend the company. On our final night we were placed in a hotel that was a dump. My son and I had separate rooms. His had an unflushed toilet and a used tampon. Need I say more? (Mine was similarly dirty.) I bought 2 rooms at a lovely nearby hotel and e-mailed portugalwalks immediately explaining the situation and saying I would like a refund for that portion of the trip. I was e-mailed… Read Full Review

Portugalwalks's Comment

Written on: 05/10/2010

These clients were particularly difficult before they arrived and during the whole week.
<br/>Ask yourself - if you had a dirty room would you not complain to the hotel?
<br/>When we asked the clients if they had complained they had not - so without a complaint our hands are tied. The reason they gave for leaving is that they wanted to stay with friends at another hotel - this was a 5 star next door! Our holidays are good value but do not include 5 star hotels - that would put the price out of most peoples reach.
<br/>The hotel that they did not like is not 5 star but over the many years we have used it there have never been any complaints about being dirty - in fact quite the opposite.
<br/>These clients had another agenda and because we wouldnt comply they have become quite nasty in their review.
<br/>We stand by our product and if you wish to read reviews about our holidays please look on the Responsible Travel web site.

Read 1 Comment