Avatar Reviews

Summary

A band of humans are pitted in a battle against a distant planet's indigenous population, (from IMDb)

Read and write film reviews on Avatar here at Review Centre.

Avatar - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Avatar

“Fantastic movie for the family.”

written by AmeliaRowe on 14/04/2013

Amazing movie, the effects were great and my entire family enjoyed. Would definitely recommend watching it in 3D to really get the best experience. Bought in on Blue Ray so will be watching it again sometime soon. Can't wait for the sequels!

“A Classic ”

written by Ray1985 on 13/07/2012

I absolutely love this film. Its a mark of history. I own this on Bluray and the HD quality along with the effects and digital surround sound is too good. My only regret is not having a 3d tv so that i can buy the 3d version of this.

Guest's Response to Ray1985's Review

Written on: 17/07/2012

This is the best film I have seen in a long time I would put it the best sifi of this century don’t get me wrong I have watched Harry Potter and Lord of the rings but this is a fabulous film

“True 3D Experience Movie”

written by adi4 on 28/06/2012

Avatar is the first True 3D Experience Movie. A must watch science fiction. Recommended for almost every age factors.

“Avatar for me was one of the best films to come out of...”

written by Taylott on 30/04/2012

Avatar for me was one of the best films to come out of 2009. The most exciting, thrilling, and superb work you'll feast your eyes on in any theatre this century. The graphics are fantastic, everything is so real, the 3D just adds to the effect beautifully without distracting you. In my opinion, Avatar is a film experience that will be remembered for years to come. James Cameron has succeeded once again in creating a wonderfully entertaining film with the perfect balance between love, action, and mild comedy. In addition to this, the director has taken another step in upgrading the way we watch films in the future. If you haven’t seen Avatar... what are you waiting for?

“Am i the only one who didn't like it? ”

written by on 06/04/2012

Story was practically non existent, really disappointing. Visuals are good, but there's nothing else to it. Can't believe it's so popular.

Lightning's Comment

Written on: 27/09/2016

Looks like you really didn't like this film....few people give it 1/5.
The story is not complex but that's not always a bad thing.
But it won't be for everybody.

“absolutely great”

written by irisbass on 20/02/2012

its a movie that invloves the combination of justice and decelopment.maybe the 3d one is more amazing and id like to see the movie leads some fashion costume show and i think its really good

“Love it, love it, love it!”

written by alexojus on 19/02/2012

One thing is great about that movie it is for men, women and children! You have got romance, action and fantasy all together. One of my friend who is not keen on Science-Fiction movie agreed it was really good! You can recognise a few faces, but the main characters are not famous, at least not when the movie got released. I love Pandora, I love the story, I love the characters, I love everything about that movie. I can't wait for the sequel even though it won't be as good as this one! The 3D version enhance the special effects, but I loved it too back at home when I bought the DVD. I can actually say it is my favourite movie so far and I am 41yr old. Just go and watch it and you will see what I mean.

“fabulous”

written by damayanthi123 on 11/10/2011

I am really happy with this film.I like to order this as soon as possible

Guest's Response to damayanthi123's Review

Written on: 08/11/2011

i think its an amaising muvy with lots of magical stuf in it. It had a good job dun on it so, ho ever watches it should enjey it as much as i did...

Have a good time watching it!

your setan
Mss. o'colly

“Fabulous!”

written by lightning on 29/08/2011

I loved this film. The effects were amazing, and I missed it at the cinema, where it would have been even better I guess. However I also missed all the "hype" so when I saw it I had no real expectations. I did not think the "plot" was "weak" as some have said, it was in keeping with a film of this type. I loved the Na'vi characters, but I even missed the environmental message that people are saying it has (although I see it now) so I must be really useless!! One small point, I've heard a few references to the word "unobtanium" being laughable, but in fact it's a generic word used by scientists to describe any material that's very hard to get, hence its use in films. I guess the alternative would be to make a word up, like they did in Star Trek for instance. Anyway back to Avatar. I liked the love story between Jake and Neytiri, in fact I like Neytiri, but that's another story....and after reading another review on here I think that it took a bit more than "Microsoft Paint" to produce these Na'vi characters! What impressed me was the lifelike reality of everything, you could really imagine it existed. I've watched the film about 5 times, so not too obsessed with it, and am looking forward to the second episode.

“Review of Avatar”

written by saintgiles on 26/07/2011

I really love it!! Especially the scenery is fantastic and spectacular.Although you know it is almost all made by computer it will also impress you.I think the movie is full of imagination that you had never seen. And it also reminds us how important it is to cherish our world.

“My favourite film of all time is Avatar because its so...”

written by Kevin Tompkins on 16/01/2011

My favourite film of all time is Avatar because its so original. Its like half real half computer generated because like those blue guys are normal actors but then they get special effected by Microsoft Paint to make them look like people from other worlds. Cant wait for Avatar 2!

“Avatar is all about imagination a person has but does...”

written by shahindu on 05/08/2010

Avatar is all about imagination a person has but does not know how to present it. well Avatar did it... A dream world everybody wants to be it but is incapable of being there.

A brilliant movie i must say. if people have that kind of imagination and capable of finding it... imagine the world would be such a beautiful place to line in.

imagination, 3d effects, characterization is beyond comparison. a world class movie. i am very sure its going to be a long time that someone comes with a brilliant movie like avatar..

must watch movie.

“I was unsure whether I would enjoy this film or not as...”

written by Heidix on 19/07/2010

I was unsure whether I would enjoy this film or not as I am a lover for the more romantic films. But once the film started going on, I got more into it and really enjoyed it. It's different from most films nowadays and it was the first 3D film I've watched. I got bored halfway through the film, it would of been better watching it at home on a DVD somewhere comfortable as it goes on for a long time, rather than on an uncomfortable chair in the cinema!

“Avatar ”

written by Carlov on 16/06/2010

Here is a film whose plot is tapped into and entirely honed for the American psyche. Canadian born Cameron's handling of the wafer thin plot could hardly be more obvious. The delicately disguised assault in order to reap the wealth of amusingly named, but unoriginal "unobtainium," that lies beneath the feet of the righteously indignant primitive native inhabitants of Pandora is an interesting demonstration of a national guilt, made even more obvious by the structure of their language. This has been captured all too frequently from the perspective of the aggressor (as in all allegory?) Recognising the error of their ways to the point of betrayal and going on to become the heroic and great leader of the persecuted. (See Dances with Wolves.)

But of course, one can't overlook the plush and rather expensive Computer Generated Imagery (CGI.) on offer. It is so good, at no point do you find yourself wondering why they designed something a certain way. You just accept the reality of faintly feline svelte blue humanoids ranging from ten to twelve foot tall. The ingenious subtlety of the animation is really very good, heaping on the empathy, making it easy to fear for the future of the planet moon. The concept of Pandora or Awah as we should call it using our best politically correct voice, is something of a vision. Again, not entirely unique, although this does not detract from the design work which includes well observed transitions from palaeontology to exobiology and everything in between. The "cosmic" luminescing plant life and psychedelic neon fungus scenes are colourful and imaginative always, a great deal of time and effort pays off in how credible it all seems. Too real maybe, extra or super-real perhaps, but never dull.
Roger Dean's vision is unmistakeable, whether conscious or subconscious, Cameron has adapted it well. But the inspiration for it is widely known about. The design influence in the flora and fauna which plays a large roll in the plot, is drawn from Rodney Mathews by the looks of it. Hexapods and helically powered reptilians (Tim White?) are delightful and again not beyond easy imagining to anyone that has studied evolution or even simply watched the horribly labelled natural history programs. Some ideas are perhaps thanks to Larry Niven too.

The main protagonist Jake Sully, a paraplegic ex-G.I. who through the death of his twin brother is drafted back into service in a "Company" funded hearts and minds initiative. It is called the Avatar programme which is supposed to placate the native populous, which is run by the bolchy and surprisingly non-pc smoking (how dare they, cough,) Grace Augustine (Segourny Weaver.) Her favourite tag line, "I'm going in," is I presume supposed to demonstrate the routine and established business of avatar driving. This is done via the largely unexplained transference into genetically grown hybrids whose DNA is drawn from the "locals" and the usually highly trained avatar "drivers." Related in some way to hyper-sleep presumably. (Anorak away, ahem.) I have come to expect large portions of dumbing down from Hollywood epics I'm afraid to say, so I found it quite pleasing that at no point does anyone point out the obvious physical differences between the hybrids and the local populous.

Jakes over enthusiasm at getting legs again controlling his avatar is quickly overcast by the mission. He is pressed to share strategic information with the aggressive colonel of the mercenary forces with the promise of spinal surgery to literally get him back on his feet. A strong motivator no doubt.

It was about this point it occurred to me that if the company were pressing for quicker production by the use of ex-military, I doubt the massive investment needed for the long term and peaceable plan would ever have reached fruition, especially as the journey to Pandora takes almost 6 years. But, if you ain't big and blue then you're just small people ruining the spirit of the living organism with dirty great mining equipment and the story would be so much shorter.

The obligatory love interest does carry interest but only just. Jake first encounters Neyteri while out on his first mission. Guided by mystic vaguely jellyfish like seeds of the sacred tree Eywa, takes him to her home. Her tribe, the Na'vi recognise the need to find a way to deal with the invaders, seeing Jake as an opportunity to do so, since they have never before encountered a soldier (human warrior.) Neyteri is charged with the task of training him in their ways in order to "cure him of his insanity." The least explained and best line of the film.
The largest and most significant part of his training is learning to master the follically based neural interface known as "The Bond," Tsahaylu bond. An interesting concept, proposing a common link to all native species, plant and animal alike. Explained in one scene in terms of a computer interface.
Jake continues to hedge his bets and continues to report back to the disturbing Colonel Quaritch about Hometree, the home, unsurprisingly of the Na'vi. I wont elaborate on the plot too much from here, it is measured and unavoidable, I will only detract from your enjoyment.

I will simply conclude: Action fuelled as you might expect and some scenes leave you with a positive rush. The predictable story line and conclusion still outweighs the special effects however, despite the nice marketing twist. Worth a look for the cutting edge in visual and audio entertainment.
In a single phrase: More substance and less art.

“A fantastic blend of cgi, live action and...”

written by on 07/06/2010

A fantastic blend of cgi, live action and strorytelling, even if it does occasionally fall into clich'e. In my opinion the greatest cinematic experience ever, with the most realistic fictional environment. James Cameron has breathed life into Pandora; evry tree, splash of water or insect crawling on a farawy plant are incredibly detailed, and the Na'vi are so photorealistic that I would not be able to explain how they are not real. It didn't become the highest grossing film of all time for nothing (although £££ does not necessarily mean a film is good).

“Great movie! ”

written by Catherine16 on 28/05/2010

Great movie!

Really sensitive. I loved it!

“They had such a great product, but the storeyline was...”

written by kitty mk on 14/05/2010

They had such a great product, but the storeyline was sooooo dull. I wish I hadnt bothered, honestly. It could have been a FANTASTIC movie for everyone with just a little originality in the way of the plot, but unfortunately, it fell short for me becasue of that one major aspect.

I wont be watching it again, even for the special effects.

“Wow! What a fantastic movie. It's been a while since...”

written by Taylott on 26/04/2010

Wow! What a fantastic movie. It's been a while since I've been to the cinema and actually left saying "that was money well spent!"

We went to see the 3D version, which in my opinion is a must for a movie like this. The 3D was pretty spectacular, the best I've seen in a movie actually (of the few that I've seen in 3D).

The story, the animation, the scenery, the cast, everything just worked. The story is quite long, but flowed pretty well. The action scenes were brilliant, fast paced and thoroughly entertaining.

In fact, I can't really fault much about this movie, which is a first. It's just come out on DVD, so grab yourself a copy. Well recommended.

“great film best ive seen in a long time 3D is great...”

written by on 05/04/2010

great film best ive seen in a long time 3D is great but for thouse of you with young children it may not be the best film to see for it has some mild swering and some shoking parts but in all it would be a great family film with kids from 6+

“I like Avatar very much. As a matter of fact, I do not...”

written by coly20032003 on 17/02/2010

I like Avatar very much. As a matter of fact, I do not often go to a cinema to watch movies. But I heard that Avatar is a great movie and is worthwhile to go to cinema, so I went to a cinema with my friends. I think it is totally worth doing so. I enjoy it from beginning to ending. I like the characters and the scenes. It is excellent.