Vauxhall Combo 1.3 CDTi Reviews

Vauxhall Combo 1.3 CDTi - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Vauxhall Combo 1.3 CDTi

“1.3 cdti”

written by Matthew7386 on 27/10/2022

I have the 1.3cdti ex British Gas 2007 love it had it 9 years now & won’t part , I nearly never bought it due to reviews saying that timing chains the adjusters go on 1.3 & how it proved me wrong !!115k fantastic van 50mpg no problem has got the speed limiter fitted which BG did for economy fully loaded still the same parts are cheap as chips never let me down good turning circle & manoeuvring she does get anything done that needs doing reg oil changes etc oil diesel filter reseated injectors as one was leaking very fugal little engine,possibly next is timing chain although not noisy at moment definitely would have another later one don’t know much about the 1.6 diesel Engine but like LWB or the Ducato ex fleet

“Great little runner Combo 1.3cdti 2009”

written by Bailee341 on 26/09/2019

I bought my 2009 ex-BT van with 110,000 miles on it. The turbo actuator wastegate valve was stuck which is a common problem. Easy fix which took ten minutes with ramps, WD40, and a long screwdriver. It goes like a little dream. very comfortable (I'm 5`9") and economical. I drive approx 160 miles a day to and from work with a heavy load in it and it`s now just coming up to 140,000 miles and still runs like a watch. If you can do basic maintenance and change your oil and filters etc every 6000 miles it will last a long time and it is much more responsive than the old 1.7 diesel Isuzu (I had one). Timing chains will break if you run them low on oil or neglect and abuse the engine. It looks like some reviewers on here have either neglected their vehicle or just found one that was thrashed to within an inch of its life (usually ex-PO). It`s quite true that a lot of people only find out where the bonnet catch is after they break down. Even though the engine is an Italian Multijet, it does not mean that it is rubbish. These are great little engines.

“Great wee van”

written by MadilynMcDougall on 10/05/2017

I bought my little combo 1.3 diesel a year ago and I love it. Great on fuel, used for taking my dogs out and going camping. And I can't fault it. It was governed when I got it so had that sorted and needed a new key. And that's it. I highly recommend one, just look after it and regular servicing as you should any vehicle...

“fantastic hard working van”

written by Nolanp181 on 10/11/2015

Have had van for 3 years,bought it with 40k on it, it now has 137k.Oil and filter change every 10k it's the cheapest mechanic ever, keep this clean and look after it and it will look after you. Just had new clutch it's normal wear and tear, never failed an mot. Excellent fuel economy and reliability. Would I buy again? oh yes

“Cheap to run & fix,”

written by 355Kilgore on 03/11/2015

1.3 cdti.Good little van,55mpg average,uses no oil or water at 154,000 miles & everything still works after 10years.I recommends it self...

“My god av just got a 63 plate av had it a week and...”

written by KarinaJamison on 17/05/2015

My god av just got a 63 plate av had it a week and want rid off it

“Don't buy wauxhall van”

written by on 13/05/2015

Terrible van cost so much horrible engine time chain has broken and it's need to be replace whole engine.. If you are thinking to buy this van then my advise is Don't waste your money!! Only Good point is economic on fuel that's it..

“Good work van ”

written by Sidneyl44 on 22/03/2015

Great work can, very economical on fuel, needs few parts every time it gets D.O.E'd but enstalling them yourself will save you a couple of thousand. Not the most comfortable but it's grand. I've had this van three years and the van is now 6 years old. Van holds a fair load for it's size. It can be annoying as the windscreen Water holder only holds a handful of water so it takes a refill every week or so.

“dont buy combo vans”

written by on 13/02/2014

I bought my combo at 3years old with just 15k on the clock and extensive service history. It had problems starting from then. It immobilized itself at needed £600 of second hand parts(ecu and all that) Cam chain snapped, cost me £500. Just been told today, needs 4 injectors and pressure fuel pump has leak, quoted £1100 so its getting scrapped with just 50k on the clock. Before this I had a vivaro with similar injector problems and a bill for £3800 and was just out of warranty. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER VAUXHALL !!!!

“good on diesel but thats about it”

written by on 02/11/2013

i bought a combo 1.3cdti on a 05 plate with 81k on it,if you drive down the motorway at 60mph you would get 600 miles out of a tank of 52 litres which is great. the bad bits were that the gear linkege snapped,the water pump broke,i had water coming through into the cab on the floor on the drivers side and through the glove box on the passenger side,the central locking had a mind of its own. finally after 2 years the engine blew up after 116k and it went to the scrapyard if the build quality was better then it would be so much better

“Vauxhall combo 1.3cdti”

written by Iansurf on 16/05/2013

DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE VAN . In the 3 years I have owned the van I have taken the mileage from 25,000 to 97,000 and it has cost me a fortune it's has had new water pump ,new fuel pump ,new alternator then the timing chain snapped & I had to have the engine rebuilt now the clutch is slipping and it takes ages to start up what a money pit . Just traded it in for vw caddy van realibility here I come.

Hutch8905's Response to Iansurf's Review

Written on: 29/10/2013

i think you bought one that was made on a monday i have had my van for four yrs and have had know problems once you do regular maintenance on it , its grand . if you neglect it then your going to have problems , its just common sense

“ace”

written by on 20/04/2013

the best van ever loved it its amazing loosk good drives ace all of it is good cant ask for more

“Very reliable van”

written by steeo80 on 16/03/2013

Had a 2006 Combo for 3 years and replaced the EGR valve, no other problems. Had a fight with a truck and lost so I bought a 2009 Combo with 12k on it and am driving it since with 1 sensor fault (€120 inc fitting) and it now has 108k on it. Oil and filter changed every 6k, other than that great little van and great on fuel.

“worst van ive ever had .1.3 cdti combo ”

written by on 27/05/2012

got my combo 40k on the clock ran it to 90k and then its just been failing apart , cluch went at 90k and its not like i thrash the thing then its just been one expensive thing after another its so bad the garage i use have warned people off these things .its now on 120k and its leaking oil like mad and upto yet ive spent £2000 on it .but not a penny more am going to wait till the tax runs out and scrap it ..AVOID AT ALL COSTS unless you have very deep pockets and no brains , ill never buy another vauxhall again

Guest's Comment

Written on: 04/06/2012

ive had mine since new bought in 2005 and not 1 problem with it until today 4-6-2012 it has developed a small oil leak which ia a DIY job. i love the combo vans but try avoiding second hands unless it comes from a dealership. sorry to hear bout your troubles though

Unreliable's Comment

Written on: 11/07/2013

Sounds like you have been unlucky with your van, most people think they are reliable. You want to get a bad Renault traffic with electrical problems if you really want something to moan about. All manufactures are making their vehicles unreliable after a while and are using them as cash cows to keep them in business, but its the good old end user that is making them rich!
I suspect the money that you have spent is mostly labour, so I think you have got to go back to the good old days of doing it yourself as I do.

“Not a bad little van”

written by globulin77 on 15/04/2012

The radio, as written previously does come on at high volume because the poster has failed to reset the thing to whatever volume he prefers. Read the manual before rushing to judgment. Ggggggreat mpg. Average comfort (it is a van after all). Tons of space (made to accomodate a Europallet).Electronic assisted steering was new to me and felt a little light at first until I got used to it.Pleased the oil filter is easy to get at. Don't use the turbo much as I tend to drive it very easy but it gives a nice boost for overtaking. All in all a decent van for the money (08 @ €3300). What more could I ask for...... I bought a new dishwasher and loaded it, my bike and two German Shepherds into it and still had tons of space.........Love it so far.

“1.3 cdti engines are nothing but trubble”

written by on 27/09/2011

hi i have owned my 1.3 combo van for 3 years now and nothing has gone right. first off it had a new engine block on 33k, plus new turbo and fuel lines. had it 24 hrs and the drive shaft went, 3 weeks after the alternater went and it was fine for about 12 months then it was the coolant pipe burst and broke the cylinder head, had that replaced, then at about 60k the clutch,gearbox and dual mass flywheel smashed and locked front wheels good job i was only going 20mph cost £1626. but the worst of all is last year around christmas with all the snow the fuel pump was leaking all over the place, had that replaced with a recon cost £272 plus fitting that lasted 5 months, then a second hand one was fitted now thats leaking but now its broke down at least 7 times in 2 months, the common rail exploded had that replaced an the pressure pipes keep bursting now so still waitin for replacements but you have to buy all 4 pipes only from vauxhalls cant just buy the 1, they cost £53 plus fitting. so the main thing for anyone reading this DO NOT BUY A 1.3CDTI COMBO VAN ITS A FIAT ENGINES I AM THINKING OF SCRAPPING IT IF ANYTHING ELSE GOES WRONG!

“hi i have dun about 2000 miles in this over the last 2...”

written by on 06/02/2011

hi i have dun about 2000 miles in this over the last 2 monthit has dun 34k its not a bad little van my boss paid 4k something he part exchanged my old van citreon dispatch (worst van eva by the way)and he got 2k 4 it there is quite a lot of rattling from the front end drop latches or something supose to be a common probem with this van. the radio very often goes on full volume by its self and wont lower down untill u stop and turn the car off very anoying when driving. it also tends to wheel spin far too easy that may be a fault i dont know also very anoying. it is very similar to a corsa i have had e few corsas with no problems at all. i would much prefer the 1.7 we used to have a astra van 1.7cdti had alot more umph the 1.3 is very poor below 2000 revz and is a bit flat sometimes but the wheel spin is the worst feature. my mum had a 04 vectra n that had the same problem. also seems to use alot of deisel wen heavey footed its not a bad van though enjoy...

“For the review above, if you want the map light on...”

written by on 07/12/2010

For the review above, if you want the map light on press the headlight knob in, goes to show how little you know your van!!!!!!!! So please ignore his review.

Had this van for 6 months, drives well, very comfortable ( bearing in mind it is a van not a car) Hasn't let me down and feels solid and robust. It is easy to drive and everyone who has used it has said they want one. Cup holder holds my drinks fine.

Would recommend to anyone!

“have bought an ex northern electricity van with 59k on...”

written by on 20/10/2010

have bought an ex northern electricity van with 59k on the clock full service history,hant let me down yet great perforamce from it,i have recentley added a tuning box as i reguarly tow my boat with it mad a huge difference and even getting 3-4 miles extra a gallon,main ting is keep it serviced and it will serve you

“Bought ex Parcelforce for £2000 44,000 miles now got...”

written by dogslow on 29/08/2010

Bought ex Parcelforce for £2000 44,000 miles now got 60000 miles. slight oil from turbo feed.40 mpg regularly.This van has been mercilessly thrashed
down to the south of France (90mph all day) its gagging for it.Been up to northern Scotland more sedatley.Apart from regular servicing it has had a side light bulb.Do not pay full price the country is awash with used vans.
just make silly offers if they dont accept walk away they want your money more than you need there van.
definetly recommend

Asked by degsiewil on 9th August 2020 Report this content
Hi i have a 2005 combovan 1.3 cdti and the ABS is making a horible clumping noise whenever i brake. Is it possibe to dissengague the ABS as i think it will be too expensive to fix?

Asked by tony19401968 on 17th July 2017 Report this content
When does the cambelt need changing?

Asked by patsyralph on 28th January 2015 Report this content
I have got slight oil leak, with little spots on the driveway. What can this be?

Answers (1)
Report this content nanthan26 Written on: 13/06/2015
hi anyone can helps me out. 2007 1.3cdti combo timing chain broke, after rebuild van start first time, but no revs only in idle, when press the pedel just go near 1200 then 600 rpm. fuel pump, egr map, fuel filter, oil filter also replaced.
Asked by Juliangrigg on 3rd December 2014 Report this content
How often / milage to replace timing chain?