2012 Reviews

Summary

An epic adventure about a global cataclysm that brings an end to the world and tells of the heroic struggle of the survivors. (from IMDb)

Read and write film reviews of 2012 here at Review Centre.

2012 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for 2012

“Surprised!”

written by ZippityTime on 06/07/2012

I'm often surprised by the reviews and ratings this movie get's, if you accept it for what it is. It's actually really good.

“Lame.”

written by drinmurf on 16/09/2011

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Graphics are embarrassing just do not bother.

“I know some of the reviews of 2012 are not that great...”

written by on 12/10/2010

I know some of the reviews of 2012 are not that great but for me this is the ultimate disater film.
I've seen numerous disater films down the years(Armageddon,Dante's Peak,Day After Tomorrow,Deep Impact,Independance Day and Volcano)some of them more mixed than others but this quickley became the best one yet.
The film starts off with a huge solar storm from space heat up the Earth from within,not long after the planet starts to crack within.
Gigantic earthquakes start to destroy alot of Earths big citys including a massive one in California that sees alot fall into the Pacific ocean(even though John Cusack and his family manage to outrun the chaos in a Rolls Royce car)and it blows you away seeing all them citys disappear into the ground but also very frightening to see it hoping that it never comes true.
But the big set pice of the whole movie comes about 20 minutes later at Yellowstone's national park in California when the monstrous caldera(supervolcano)underneath the park erupts with enourmous fury setting off the biggest volcanic eruption in history,the force and power of it blew me away and gave me goosebumps at the cinema,all the other people there were blown away too and of all my years of film watching i have never seen anything like it(it was like 30 to 40 volcanos going off at once.
The rest of the movie slows down a bit after that and can't get to the heights of the first hour and a half though there are some very good moments inluding a huge tidal wave turning a cruise ship over reminisant of The Poseiden Adventure and a massive tsunami crashing into Washighton DC.

“I LOVE this film. I think it's amazing. I started...”

written by Heidix on 19/07/2010

I LOVE this film. I think it's amazing. I started watching the beginning and I got bored and switched it off. Then another day I caught a bit of the middle of the film and got so into it, I decided to give it another try! I loved it, it's really an amazing film.

“A terrible film! the special effects are the only...”

written by mike13 on 03/06/2010

A terrible film! the special effects are the only thing that work in its favour. This cannot save the film though, as the acting is terrible; i was suprised to see woody harrelson apprear in the movie, playing an offbeat charcter. Although he is soon put out of his misery. I left the cinema a little frustrated having spend my time and money on a film that pitched an intersting idea, about the world ending during the year 2012, having been predicted by the Aztecs. The delivery is terrible though. Having established some sort of premise, the director quickly gives up following any narrative or character development, instead throwing special effects at the viewer in an attempt to distract them from lack of content in what is a woeful piece of cinema that they are being subjected to.
Bascially, dont bother considering this film.

“the movie kept me on the edge of my seat, but it all...”

written by kitty mk on 19/05/2010

the movie kept me on the edge of my seat, but it all got a bit 'oh god here we go again!'
i guess its an ok movie to kill two hours with - if you've really got nothing better to do - really!

Saintgileshighgate's Response to kitty mk's Review

Written on: 01/11/2012

all of scen was quite nice.... anyway thanks ur opinion

“this was by far the best film i have ever seen, it was...”

written by graceybbe on 17/05/2010

this was by far the best film i have ever seen, it was excting, intresting and full of suprises.

it was very lenghy but it didnt bother me at all,

it was a little emotional in parts, wich made it all the more heart warming!

althoug it was much bigger seeing it on the big screen rather than on a home tv's

a truy amazing spectacle

and well worth waching

“A good disaster movie but a bit long at 2 1/2 hours. ...”

written by riker on 14/04/2010

A good disaster movie but a bit long at 2 1/2 hours. It takes a while to set the scene. A scientist realises that sun flares are going to destroy the earth. The story revolves around the governments getting their act together to save as many (rich) people as possible. John Cusack is a writer and he is trying to get his family to safety. Some great special effects if you can suspend belief. An entertaining film.

“A movie that can be enjoyed only on big screen. ”

written by shatrunjaytayal on 18/02/2010

A movie that can be enjoyed only on big screen.

Main Character:
1) John Cusack as Jackson Curtis, a science fiction book writer
2) Amanda Peet as Kate Curtis, Jackson's ex-wife
3) Woody Harrelson as Charlie Frost, a conspiracy theorist disguised as Yellowstone hermit who prophesies the end of the world and is considered crazy by others.

Its when jackson meets Frost that he realises that the earth is coming to an end. so he tries to save his family.

Amazing graphics.

Moreover many scholars have been arguing over the idea that a catastrophe will happen in 2012.

I guess we will have to wait and see

“I was left pretty disappointed after watching 2012. ...”

written by Taylott on 17/02/2010

I was left pretty disappointed after watching 2012. After witnessing all the hype during its release, I was really looking forward to watching this movie.

The story line is so ridiculously unbelievable and farfetched I ended up laughing throughout a couple of scenes. So over-the-top, this film takes the disaster movie pretty much as far as it can go!

The story at times just doesn't make sense and while the actors do their best, they are, inevitably, forgotten when the action scenes and CGI graphics take over the movie.

In between the explosions and quakes you sometimes hear bits of the cheesy script, and then wish you hadn't. If you're after an ALL action apocalyptic, all exploding movie, then this is for you... if you're after a movie which also includes a story line... than I'd dodge this one.

“~ INTRODUCTION ~ ”

written by zagureanu on 07/01/2010

~ INTRODUCTION ~
In the summer of 2009 I was sat in a darkened cinema when I first saw the teaser trailer for the movie 2012. Instantly I knew that it was a movie that I would really like to see because I saw the words "From the Director Of Independence Day" appear at the start of the trailer. Independence Day is in my all time top ten movies and was a movie I thoroughly enjoyed. With the looks of the trailer ... 2012 was going to be just as good. There was a sense of global disaster, a hint of an emotive storyline, just a little bit of sci-fi perhaps and some stunning looking special effects.
2012 was eventually released on Friday 13th November 2009 and I saw the movie on it's first weekend in a packed cinema. The movie is rated 12A ... which seems appropriate but it does contain several harrowing scenes of injury and death that more sensitive viewers may find distressing.
So, did 2012 live up to my expectations ? Well, l hope this review answers that question !!!

~ THE 2012 PHENOMENON ~
The movie 2012 is based on what has become known as the "2012 Phenomenon" which in a nutshell is a prophecy that predicts that on or around 21st December 2012 the world will end. This prophecy is based on a 5,125-year-long Long Count calendar that was started by the Ancient Mayan Civilization coming to an end on that date. On this date, "apparently", the world will face a time of great transformation with cataclysmic outcomes for everyone on the planet. The ancient prophecy itself has divided scholars around the world. Historians, Archeaologoists, Theologians, Astronomers and Scientists have all put a great deal of research into the 2012 Phenomenon and whilst many discard the prophecy as complete nonsense other have claimed that it could be possible. But there are many other issues that make up the 2012 Phenomenon too from the completely acceptable issues related to climate change and global warming to various interpretations of what has been written in the bible and other religious books ... there are even bizarre tales of extra-terrestrial influences thrown into the "2012 Phenomenon" too !!!
It isn't hard to see why the subjest matter appealed to director Roland Emmerich ... two of his most successful movies, Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow, were based on themes concerning the end of the world.
~ THE 2012 PLOT (WITHOUT TOO MANY SPOILERS) ~
There is nothing as annoying as a movie review that essentially gives away the entire plot. For anyone reading who hasn't seen the movie (but would like to do so) it simply takes away all sense of discovery and leaves them watching a movie with far too much knowledge about what is going to happen. Therefore, I wont give away too much but instead will give you a taste of what this movie is about ...
2012 is a movie that uses the Mayan prediction as it's starting point but cleverly mixes modern day environmental issues to create a storyline that is both far-fetched but at the same time quite easy to accept !!!
The movie actually starts in the here and now ... it is 2009 and Doctor Santam Tsurutani has discovered that the earth's core is radidly over-heating as a result of solar flares creating microwaves in the earth's atmosphere. This information is passed to Gelogist Adrian Helmsley who then passes it to Carl Anheuser (The White House Chief of Staff ). It isn't long before The President himself is made aware of the situation and due to the fact that the scientific discoveries have predicted a series of natural disasters that could potentialy destroy the earth he decides to share the information with other world leaders. A top secret project is then created to guarantee the survival of the human race ... a project based on the creation of several Arks with enough room for 400,000 people !!! Whilst many places are taken by politicians and world leaders places on the Arks can be be bought for one billion Euros (which will help to fund such a massive project).
That's the background information ... but the majority of the movie actually takes place in 2012. In addition to the political storyline and the Ark project the story of the movie is seen through the eyes of a "normal" person ... a writer by the name of Jackson Curtis (portrayed by John Cusack). Jackson Curtis is meant to be the character we identify with ... his life is far from perfect, he has seperated from his wife and all he wants to do now is work hard and try and be a good father. He is also the character who makes the discoveries within the movie and as he realises that all is not well so do we !!!
Jackon Curtis first becomes aware that all is not well when he meets a man called Charlie Frost (Woody Harrelson) whilst on a camping trip with his children at Yellowstone National Park. Charlie Frost is a conspiracy theorist but he also has enough evidence that certain theories may be true and that the leaders we are meant to trust are working on a number of secret projects that we aren't aware of. Being a writer, Jackson Curtis is intrigued ... and when earthquakes hit San Franscisco he starts to think that maybe Charlie Frost was right. When Los Angeles disappears into the Pacific Ocean it's all the proof Curtis jackson needs and his opprtunity to be the world's greatest father is thrust upon him. As the end of the world approaches his only concern is to get his children to safety ... and the only safe place is on board the Arks !!! We meet several other characters along the way and see the story form a number of different points of view. We see how the wealthy and priviledged who have bought a place on the Ark see the events. We see how world leaders struggle to cope with decisions that effect billions of people and meet a number of characters from both scientific and religious backgrounds who each have their own personal stories to tell. At the centre of the movie, however, is Jackson Curtis and his own personal struggle to save the ones he loves.
I won't tell you any more other than that the global events that are initiated with Los Angeles falling into the Pacific Ocean are truly eye-opening and that Curtis Jackon's task is monumental. Does the movie have a happy ending ? I think if you want to know the answer to this question then maybe you should go and see this movie yourself !!!
~ THEMES ~
There are so many interesting themes that 2012 explores that it would be hard to cover them all but I will pick out three of my own personal favourites.
* FAMILIES: To begin with the theme of "families" is central to what makes this movie essentially a tale that people will e able to relate to. As a father myself I know I would do anything to save my own son so I admire the character Curtis Jackson for doing everything he does. But there are other characters within this movie that also face difficult decisions that will effect not only their own families but families across the globe and if you put yourself in their shoes you realise that personal feelings and the responsibilty of leadership do not always go hand in hand. Within 2012 we learn a great deal about families ... fathers and sons, mothers and daughters and, of course, husbands and wives. Disaster movies have a great way of making relationships much more intense and as time running out there always seems enough time to deal with any "unfinished business" that may have influenced how things were in the past !!!
* POWER AND WEALTH: The two themes of power and wealth are also exlored in a great deal of depth within 2012. The simple fact that your life could be saved by getting a place on one of the Arks simply because you are seen as being important or because you have enough money in your bank account is one that will divide opinion. If the events of 2012 were "real" I know that I wouldn't get a place on one of the Arks under this rule which means nor wold my family. I think that would anger me and I would also want to question why certain people were chosen. 2012 also examines how those in power get to make decisions and how a simple decision can have a global impact on the lives of everyday people.
* SACRIFICE: The ultimate question of would you sacrifice yourself to save the ones you love was explored on several occasions withn 2012. I'm not got to give away any specific details as there is nothing worse than watching a movie you haven't seen when you enter the cinema aleady knowing who is going to die !!! All I will say is that as you watch the movie there are a number of scenes that make you question waht you would do if you were ever in that situation yourself. I knew how I would have felt and what i would have done and that was good enough for me !!!
~ DID IT LIVE UP TO MY EXPECTATIONS ? ~
I can honestly say that despite being an thoroughly enjoyable movie 2012 wasn't quite the movie I expected. Just like Independence Day it was visually stunning to the extent that it was a breathtaking experience to watch it but I do feel that far too much emphasis was placed on the effects at the expense of the actual narrative. Yes the whole "end of the world" scenario does need its fair share of computer generated imagery but seeing as it essentaily a human story I found the emotional depth of the movie to be quite lacking at times ... especially when you consider that billions of people were killed during the events that took place.
In my opinion, Independence Day got the balance between blockbuster special effects and emotive storytelling just right and it seems a pity that Roland Emmerich could not bring the edge that was needed to 2012.
However, what I feel made 2012 successful was that despite the events of the movie taking place on a global scale much of the movie is seen through the eyes of a character that it is very easy to relate to. In Independence Day the Earth may have been facing an alien invasion but the personal stories of the characters played by Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman added emotional backbone to what was in essence a sci fi spectacular. In 2012 it is the character of Curtis Jackson that gives the audience this feeling of familiarity.
It is in the role Curtis Jackson that John Cusack manages to provide the audience with a link to the events themselves. In a movie that focusses a great deal on characters who ere either "in the know" or in a position of power and influence it is John Cusack's performance as an ordinary everyday person that truly demonstrates what effect the events of 2012 would have on us. Yes at times the storyline is a bit far fetched but at the heart of his performance is a very believable performance of a father trying to save his children. I have always admired John Cusack as an actor
and I think he was perfectly cast in this role ... Woody Harrelson's character "Charlie Frost" was also a character that I found intriguing (and sadly underused too). I love conspiracy theories and am a massive X-Files fan so any character that devotes their entire life to tearing down the walls of power to get at the truth gets a thumbs up from me ... Woody Harrelson's performance is edgy and original and he takes part in a couple of key scenes that directly influence Curtis Jackson's own destiny.
The fact that Roland Emmerich can direct a blockbuster movie has once again been demonstrated and thrill seekers will ot be disappointed in any way by 2012 and it's spectacular visuals. And, like I said earlier I wasn't disappointed either as it was a breathtaking and thought provoking cinema experience ... I just wanted a little more in terms of storytelling and narrative as I felt this movie relied a little too heavily on the visual aspects of the production.
~ PRODUCTION ~
2012 was co-written by Roland Emmerich and Harald Kloser. Emmerich was also the movie's Director whilst Kloser was the movie's Producer as well being the Composerof the musical score. This creative partnership seems to have worked well and due to the success of Emmerich's previous "blockbusters" Sony pictures Entertainment and Columbia Pictures were willing to grant the team an impressive budget of around $260 Million as they realised that it was a script that would need a some pretty impressive special effects it it was to be fully realised on the silver screen.
~ DIRECTOR ~
2012 was directed by Roland Emmerich a German director who has built an impressive reputation making action and disaster movies. The first movie he ever directed was The Noah's Ark Principle (1984) and he went on to direct several other movies including Making Contact (1985), Ghost Chase (1987), Moon 44 (1990), and Universal Soldier (1992). It was in 1994, however, when he made he made his first "big budget" movie, Stargate ... a franchise that was so successful that it was later made into a cult television series.
He first became a force to be reckoned with when his 1996 movie Independence Day made Hollywood History by becomming the first ever movie to gross $100 Million in it's first week. With a blockbuster movie under his belt he created his own film studio and has since gone on to direct a number of big budget movies including Godzilla (1998), The Patriot (2000), The Day After Tomorrow (2004) and 10,000 BC (2008). 2012 is Roland Emmerich's latest movie ...

~ CAST ~

. John Cusack >>> Jackson Curtis
. Amanda Peet >>> Kate Curtis (Jackson's ex-wife)
. Liam James >>> Noah Curtis (Jackson and Kate's son)
. Morgan Lily >>> Lilly Curtis (Jackson and Kate's daughter)
. Thomas McCarthy >>> Gordon Silberman (Kate's current partner)
. Danny Glover >>> Thomas Wilson (The President of the United States)
. Thandie Newton >>> Laura Wilson (the President's daughter)
. Oliver Platt >>> Carl Anheuser (The President's Chief of Staff)
. Chiwetel Ejiofor >>> Adrian Helmsley ( The President's Scientific Advisor)
. George Segal >>> Tony Delgatto (A traveling musician)
. Blu Mankuma >>> Harry Helmsley (Tony's musicl partner and father of Adrian Helmsley)
. Zlatko Buri >>> Yuri Karpov (A Russian billionaire)
. Beatrice Rosen >>> Tamara (Yuri's girlfriend)
. Chin Han >>> Tenzin (A worker in Tibet)
. Osric Chau >>> Nima ( A Buddhist Monk and Tenzin's brother)
. John Billingsley >>> Professor Frederic West (An American Scientist)
. Johann Urb >>> Sasha (A Russian pilot)
. Jimi Mistry >>> Dr. Satnam Tsurutani (An Indian Scientist)
. Woody Harrelson >>> Charlie Frost (A conspiracy theorist)
~ FINAL THOUGHTS ~
Does anyone remember the Y2K bug and the theory that on New Year's Eve 1999 the world would go into meltdown ??? I can ... and I remember all the discussions I had with peple who were genuinely worried. I think the movie 2012 has kind of re-created that same sense of doom in many people and although it is a fictional story it is in some way based on a prophecy from the "real world" that some people seem to have taken too literally. I read recently that in the run up to the release of 2012 the movies publicity team did a online "just for fun" competion to promote the movie in which tickets for the Ark were given as prizes ! I also read that this caused a great deal of alarm and that several people had felt suicidal after not winning a ticket because they feared that the events in the movie would be happening in real life within the next few years. Having released 2012 I do hope Roland Emmerich realises thsat on 20th December 2012 there will be many people around the world who may be feeling let's just say "aprehensive" about what tomorrow brings ... which itself is ironic when you realise that his other blockbuster movie was called "The Day After Tomorrow" !!!
THANKS FOR READING ...

“Director Roland Emmerich has done it again! WOW! I was...”

written by puniksem on 29/12/2009

Director Roland Emmerich has done it again! WOW! I was rather impressed with the overall realism of this film which left me feeling that it has actually happened (that real) I hope it never happens, but at least armed with the realistic scenes from this film I can safely say I came close to death while viewing this film with plenty of heart stopping moments.

The acting was brilliant and the story easily believable, but I was a little disappointed by the ending. Just how does one recover from such a worldwide cataclysmic event. After all the whole world's crust became completely unstable. Should this sort of film always have a happy ending?

“I am unashamedly a big fan of the director Roland...”

written by dhayes22 on 30/11/2009

I am unashamedly a big fan of the director Roland Emmerich's films. I don't go for the intellectual depth or the characterisation of the protagonists, I go because his film's have the biggest, most expensive, most detailed special effects of any film maker in Hollywood today (with the possible exception of James Cameron); Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow and 10,000 BC - each had bigger, shinier special effects than the last.

His movies are generally quite simple in construct: earth is in danger, government has either been working on big plans for years or are completely ignoring the situation. Plucky protagonist manages to save himself/his family/the world and everybody learns the error of their ways.

2012 doesn't deviate from the formula at all. If you've seen The Day After Tomorrow the movie will feel very familiar to you. Instead of freezing however, the earth is now boiling. It's 2009 and an Indian scientist discovers microwaves from the sun are heating the earth's core and turning it into lava soup. The right people find out they have three years before the earth goes pop and a giant secret intergovernmental plan to save mankind is put in place.

Fast forward to 2012 and the earth finally starts to self-destruct and the fun begins. The main story focuses on John Cusack, an LA-based writer, and his children and ex-wife. LA starts to fall into the sea in spectacular fashion and through his billionaire employer he learns what's going on and that there is a secret fleet of ships being build in China to house mankind. What follows is a race across a world falling apart to get his family on that ship.

The effects are amazing as they fly through an imploding Las Vegas, a boiling Hawaii, and settle into the Himalayas just as the whole area is about to become a giant swimming pool. There are a handful of sub-plots involving the US-president and his daughter, the scientists involved in saving the earth and the Russian billionaire and his mistress. All of which are shallow as a puddle but don't distract from the main action.

These stories pad the film out to nearly three hours but it never feels long and in a funny way I am glad it's so long. Now that cinema tickets are so expensive a long movie really makes you feel like you are getting your money's worth.

It's utter nonsense of course but I would recommend this film to anyone who enjoys thrills-and-spills consequence free action movies. And even though it's not a deep movie I bet you come out thinking what you'd do if the earth started to flood. Trust me keeping a dinghy in the garage isn't going to cut it.

“The latest in a long line of disaster movies from...”

written by reviewkitten on 23/11/2009

The latest in a long line of disaster movies from director Roland Emmerich (The Day After Tomorrow, Independance Day...), 2012 is an ambition attempt to show us what would happen if the world really was nigh. Taking a long held myth about the world ending the year 2012 as the Mayan calender runs out and coupling that with the alignment of planets and huge solar flares we get the idea that the Earth's core will suddenly heat up and cause the mantle to displace destroying the Earth as we know it. Cue John Cusack, a divorced father of 2 who still loves his ex wife who is now married to a high flying surgeon, but is now on a misson to save his family (including the new step Dad). The effects as usual are astounding (the super volcano and the end of Rome particularly good) but the story is full of sentimental goodbyes and tearing jerking moments designed to have you blubbing at the end of the world. Suspend your disbelief at some of the more ridiculous moments and you'll enjoy what really is a film made by boys who still love destroying things veiled in a love story...