ASK Italian Restaurant, Union Square, Aberdeen Reviews

• Quality of food

ASK Italian Restaurant, Union Square, Aberdeen - Ask a question now

“excellent ”

written by on 12/04/2012

I visited this restaurant at lunchtime, when it was moderately busy. We were seated and had our orders taken within minutes and the waiting staff were very attentive. The food was delicious, very fresh and in generous portions. The food was hot, infact our starters were sizzling on the table!I am glad I did not read the poor reviews because I probably wouldn't have went, as it is I will definately be going back.

“Booked table for 7.30pm but not available until gone...”

written by on 27/01/2011

Booked table for 7.30pm but not available until gone 8pm. We ordered, then waited over one and half hours until food served. Very slow service. My chicken dish was dry and chips were very ordinary. Very disappointed and would not go back again.

“Entered the restaurant at lunchtime. Only 7 customers...”

written by on 21/01/2011

Entered the restaurant at lunchtime. Only 7 customers dining but it still took 5 mins before one of the 3 waiting staff appeared. It then took a 10 minute wait before my order was taken. The spaghetti carbonara was the worst I have had, the pasta was dry, what little sauce there was was thin and watery and there were about 6 tiny pieces of ham. Very overpriced and poor quality and service. Interestingly Frankie and Bennys in the same mall was very busy.

“I can't believe the negative comments for ASK, Union...”

written by Karen Clark on 13/09/2010

I can't believe the negative comments for ASK, Union Square, Aberdeen. My husband and I ate there yesterday and we had a fantastic meal. We didn't manage dessert because the starters and mains were so filling.
The food was fab and really fresh. We loved that you could see the chefs cooking and the waiting staff were really attentive.
We had a lovely time and will definately be back.

“Booked a table well in advance only to be shown to one...”

written by on 21/07/2010

Booked a table well in advance only to be shown to one right by a door staff went through to drop off used dishes - nightmare as it was constantly opening and closing due to the restaurant being full. This totally ruined our evening as we were constantly distracted. Cramming too many tables in has resulted in unhappy customers. Eaten twice here several times and each time no lasagna - here's hoping next time they will have what we consider a signature dish of Italy. Saying that the staff are very nice, food good and its the perfect place for a meal if you have been shopping or going to the movies.

“Been a couple of times and had mixed experiences...”

written by on 25/05/2010

Been a couple of times and had mixed experiences however this one was the worst. Waited to be seeted for about ten mins (understandable they were busy but the staff ignored us and did not acknowledge us or apologise for the wait)
Table of 5 people, all of our side orders were wrong and some were never seen, we waited about 45 mins for our maincorses and when I got my maincourse the vegetables and chips (which i did not ask for i ordered potatoes) were stone cold, finally managed to attract the waiters attention to get the problem sorted, second time around they had just used the same chicken and put extra sauce on it to keep it warm, the chicken was lukewarm at best and was disturbingly pink near the bone, the only thing which saved this place was the waiter who served us, hence the generous 2 star review

“The service was slow and the food was tasteless.”

written by on 22/05/2010

The service was slow and the food was tasteless.

“we went and booked a table for 630pm when arrived was...”

written by on 07/03/2010

we went and booked a table for 630pm when arrived was told would be another 5minutes. When was shown to table we were left for another half hour and noone spoke or looked near us got no drink nothing. we left and still noone, acknowledge us. we will not be going back was a disgracefully way to be treated.

“I really enjoyed the food in Ask Italian. However I...”

written by on 06/03/2010

I really enjoyed the food in Ask Italian. However I think they could do a better job at improving the overall dining experience in their restaurant if they improve the service.

In my last visit to this place I was surprised when the main course was served when we were not even half way through the Starters. When we got to the main course it was cold. My first reaction to that was - 'What a waste of good food!!'

“I was just here at Ask Aberdeen on Friday 5 Feb and...”

written by on 06/02/2010

I was just here at Ask Aberdeen on Friday 5 Feb and the food was great but the service was very very slow. The waitress did not seem to bother with us. We had to wait 30 minutes for our drinks, only getting them when I asked where they were. Then another 15 minutes for our food so 45 minutes for your food is ridiculous. We were laughing about it saying that we might get our desserts in an hours time. It did get tedious. Its fine if you have several hours to have a meal but do not go here if you are on your lunch hour or indeed just want a meal at a reasonable pace!

“1st visit there was a good experience with freindly...”

written by on 03/02/2010

1st visit there was a good experience with freindly staff, tasty food and good size portions. One negative point was parmesan was not offered and had to be asked for but no problem with that. We are going there again this weekend so hoping wew enjoy it again!!!

“I am shocked to see the bad reviews written about...”

written by on 08/01/2010

I am shocked to see the bad reviews written about AskItalian in Aberdeen. I thought it was lovely. Our waitress was fast and attentive, the food portions were generous and the quality lovely. So much to choose from aswell! There were couples there, familys and young people, this restaurant will please everyone. Im going back next week for a friends birthday!

“Where to start.... ”

written by on 30/12/2009

Where to start....

When looking upon the ASK Italian website to check out the menu and read more of what they offer, I spotted the company slogan of "Just Ask". After my experience, this slogan suits the restaurant perfectly....I felt I had to ask to place an order, had to ask where my starter was, ask there my main course was and then ask for the bill and wait for 20 minutes to get it...I think they have taken it too far!

The service was extremely slow, we waited 1 hour for our starters, a further 50 minutes for our main course and then 20 minutes after asking for the bill.

My starter was a fish cake which to be fair was made from frozen and all the "Chefs" had to do was place it in the oven. My partners starter was not as described and very poor quality for the price. In between waiting for our main courses it was clear that we were not the only ones who were receiving bad service and bad food. A large table beside us never received any food and left, a couple across the restaurant also left because they could not wait any longer. We did not have any other arrangements for the evening and set up camp to wait for our main courses! After a further 50 minutes we received our main course, and to our disappointment it was not even edible; uncooked dough, tasteless and not as the menu described.

When the waitress took our plates away, she commented that the delay was because they were "very busy" and that it was not her "fault" but that she would get us our bill. Which of course I was extremely reluctant to pay, but with no more patience I could not stand to wait or the incompetent staff and wondered just how long it would take for the manager to speak to us anyway.

A waitress who was dressed in casual clothes and not uniform spent more time hiding her mobile phone behind the till to text her friends than serving customers.

But we have learnt a lesson:

When you enter a restaurant and have to wait for a table which was pre booked - The service is slow

When there are 3 Chefs on shift, one of which is working and two looking lost/observing the other - The kitchen is not capable

When every table is full but there is no food on them - Leave while you can!

I would not recommend this restaurant, I would have been willing to try again if it was not for the waitress's comment which irritated me. If you are "busy" then I'm sorry, I simply don't understand the problem. Everyone wants their business to be busy, that is what you should be prepared for and they should not have to apologise for it. When a new restaurant opens, do not fill the place unless you can serve every individual edible and high quality food!

ASK Italian, I will not be back.

“Worst dining out experience ever, service very slow,...”

written by on 13/12/2009

Worst dining out experience ever, service very slow, order forgotten and re-taken an hour after arrival. Once food came all was sent back as either burnt to a crisp or not cooked through. Very shoddy and sloppy operation and I would most certainly advise against a visit.

“21st November, i visited ASK with a group of 10 for my...”

written by on 01/12/2009

21st November, i visited ASK with a group of 10 for my friends birthday. Within 10 minutes we were seated with our order taken. Food came within 20 minutes and was lovely and greatfully scoffed!!! Bill was just over 100!!!

“The service was very, very slow....several other...”

written by on 09/11/2009

The service was very, very slow....several other patrons were leaving without having eaten and without paying for drinks.

The "king prawn" starter comprised of more or less cocktail sized prawns and then the main course of Calzone....where to start?!? The dough wasn't cooked properly and was stodgy, the side salad was very poor and had no dressing, my partners Calzone had a mountain of Chillis on one side which made it basically inedible! After an hour of waiting, this was a disappointment!

When a complaint was made we were greeted with the response - "We are busy."

If you cant cope with the customer levels, you shouldn't be in business - ASK Italian - we certainly wont be back!