City Car Club Reviews - www.citycarclub.co.uk

City Car Club www.citycarclub.co.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for City Car Club www.citycarclub.co.uk

City Car Club www.citycarclub.co.uk

“Absolute disgrace and biggest mistake joining”

written by Elizaahmed on 19/01/2016

Long story short, i was robbed of £72.77 3 weeks after my booking ended, from my account and then 6 hours later they terminated my membership as they believe i was smoking cannabis in the car with my 2 children despite me checking the car over TWICE BEFORE and after and finding nothing. So basically i have been blacklisted by them as a druggy because i did not report the invisible traces of cannabis.. They won't reply to my complaints either. DO NOT JOIN THIS COMPANY THEY ARE PATHETIC AND DEROGATORY and always looking for someone to blame

“I'm happy but their customer service folk are SO...”

written by on 15/12/2015

The fact that I find being a City Car Club member so fab means that it makes me feel so sad when I speak to the customer service people. I think, oh no, maybe they're having a bad day. Or, oh, perhaps they don't have nice working conditions. Or maybe they are students who really don't care. Whatever it is, they need to cheer up! One 'off' call would be 'excusable' but I think I've called about five times since I joined and pretty much the same miserable bored and/or inconvenienced attitude on the other end of the line. City Car Club seems like a great idea and wouldn't it be perfect if those who work for them share my enthusiasm as a customer/member? Well I'm not going to let grumpy phone folk put me off using what seems to be a well run and efficient convenient thing. Other people might be though and perhaps it needs addressing. Simple things like 'pretending' they care, talking while wearing a smile, and those extra little touches like saying good bye at the end of a call could probably be covered in a morning's 'how to speak to people on the phone' training session? :-)

“NEVER HIRE THIS COMPANY UNLESS YOU WANT TO ENDANGER...”

written by ivsontiago on 16/08/2015

I used City Car's service for the first time yesterday The car did not have a spare tire, and it had an awful left front tire. Its brand was HIFLY (I've never heard of this until then). The other three were Michelin. I did some research and found out that this is a budget brand, a low cost tire that is not reliable at all. I had a puncture on this tire, and I couldn't fix it with this ridiculous repairing kit that was inside the trunk, where I should have found a spare tire. How can they rent cars without a spare tire? This is totally crazy, an insanity. And it gets even worst, because one of the tires was a completely disgraceful budget brand. Ever since I was a kid, I've always heard that YOU CAN'T SAVE MONEY ON TIRES!!!!!! City Car Club should probably write this with capital letters on their company's walls. Tires are one of the most important security-related items on the car. I'm lucky that when this misfortune happened, I was driving slowly - only 40 mph. If I were on a faster and busier road, such as M25, I don't want to imagine what could have happened. After the tire was punctured, I started to try to contact their poor customer service. And this is one the the worst part of what happened yesterday. I lost track of the amount of times I tried to talk to someone who could help me. When someone managed to answer the telephone, I was kept on hold after trying to explain the situation. After a few minutes, the connection was dropped. The first time I called was 16:55. The service ticket with AA was registered around 17:30 and I've been told that they would arrive at 18:00. When I asked what would they do, I was told that they would tow the car. I couldn't believe. Towing a car because of a punctured tire? This is completely stupid. Anyway, no one arrived at 18:00. I called again and I was told that they would arrive at 18:10. No one arrived at 18:10. I called again and I was told that they were late and they would arrive at 18:30. No one arrived at 18:30. I called again. Another delay. 18:55 is the time provided this time. No one arrived at 18:55. Another call, another delay, another reschedule: 19:15. As you may expect at this point of the story, They did not show up again. Once more, I called. Then someone from AA called me saying that they were late and the new expected time would be 19:50. AA's van finally arrived a few minutes after this call, around 19:30. We were in The Ridgeway road, NW71QU. This address is 8 miles away from the initial pickup point, on Gloucester Avenue, in Primrose Hill. It took more than one hour and a half for the car to be towed from there to the pickup point. Hiring City Car Club was the worst choice I could have made. They are, by far, the worst company I dealt with after living in London for more than one year. I'll summarize my reasons: - The car did not have a spare tire; - One of the tires was from a low cost brand, Hifly, and it got punctured; - Their customer service is despicable; - Towing a car because of a punctured tire? Seriously? - After their worthless customer service kept me waiting for more than four hours, I was charged the amount of £40,28 because I was returning the vehicle late; - This low cost tire was already in a very bad shape. Its side rubber layer is dangerously thin and it had a hole on the opposite side of the puncture. I took pictures of it. I will never ever use this service any more. This company does not care about its customers. Actually, it is much worse than that. They are a threat, endangering peoples lives with a poor maintenance and with the nonobservance of the most basic security standards. I sincerely hope City Car Club will go bankrupt as soon as possible. They had a very good idea and turned it into rubbish because of all their incompetence.

“They stole money from me”

written by Waylon84 on 21/08/2014

Do not trust this company! At worst they are criminals. At best they are grossly negligent in their protection of customers' personal information. Two years after cancelling my membership and changing my address City Car Club charged me a £60 membership renewal fee. They used my card numbers, which they had kept from my time as a member. I initially thought that I had a standing order or direct debit in place and that this would explain the charge. After investigating with my bank I found I indeed did not have a standing order or direct debit, but City Car Club had simply used the details they had to charge my card, much the way a thief would steal from you after your card details have been compromised. This incident occurred in May 2014, I am writing this in August 2014 after countless phone calls and email exchanges, but, I have yet to receive a refund or an apology or any admission of wrongdoing.

“Friendly, convenient and reasonably priced.”

written by CorneliusHewitt on 11/07/2014

Have been using CCC for six years in Manchester. Very few hiccups, all resolved quickly over the phone by competent and friendly staff. With many cars within a 10 minute walk of home, I can always book a car if the one in my street is not available. The cars are always clean and reliable.

“Easy and convenient”

written by Myrickni20 on 24/04/2014

Never had a bit of bother using city car, staff are always more than friendly whenever I ring up too!

“Sharp Practice”

written by glCoughlin439 on 09/04/2014

You get charged a £30 admin fee for City Car Club to process a parking penalty. The penalty i have is £30 which now doubles the cost. Daylight robbery. They are not able to justify why this costs them £30 which is basically processing a payment. Further more i have to make the payment online, perhaps i should charge them an admin fee

“Shambles”

written by Ruth1963 on 05/11/2013

So far I have been over charged by over £30 and my credit card was used to pay a bill twice. Unsurprisingly I don't trust them to have my bank and credit card details. The hire is expensive and there are hidden costs. The car wouldn't unlock the first time I used it, it took me 15 minutes to sort it out which of course I had to pay for. I won't be renewing my membership and I would advise anyone to avoid at all costs. Get a taxi, it will work out cheaper and they won't have your bank and credit card details.

“Never a car when you need it esp at weekends”

written by on 22/04/2013

There is no cars when you need it especially at the weekends and at peak times - they tend to be booked weeks or months in advance

Jonathan Kelly's Comment

Written on: 18/08/2013

Try Zip car they are available all the time I have found.

Read 1 Comment

“easy, cheap, reliable”

written by on 22/03/2013

I have been a member for two years and am only leaving as I have been given a car. Throughout the time I have had no problems at all and the ease with which I could get a car when needed was fantastic!

“Think twice before joining”

written by Bikeboy1 on 22/02/2013

They charge you for hidden extras. The cars are unsafe and you never know who has had the car before you and what they have done to it! The condition of the cars were poor without proper cleaning and things are not at place they should be. You could end up with a massive bill over £200 without it being your fault. Please becarefull before you take these cars. Regards

“Consistently first class service”

written by BevBrighton on 12/02/2013

I have been using the Brighton city car club for quite a while and have always been really pleased with the availability and condition of the cars. There have only been a couple of occasions when I have needed to call for assistance - for example when someone was parked in the bay - and the service has always been excellent. I had a bit of a problem on Sunday when the onboard computer wasn't working properly so I couldn't confirm that I was back at the bay. I called the out of hours line and the lady who responded was really friendly and helpful. She was clear about what I needed to do and took full ownership of checking that the car was secure and ensuring that my record was up to date. I couldn't ask for a more efficient, reliable and professional service.

“Well worth joining!”

written by on 23/01/2013

I've been a member of CCC since August 2012. Unfortunately they didn't have any cars particularly near my house (I live in Zone 4 in London, so not exactly central) so they were my second choice behind ZipCar. However, ZipCar wouldn't insure me due to the points on my licence but CCC would, so I thought I'd give them a go. Between August and January this year I didn't have a single problem. The service was easy to use and on the rare occasion that I had to call customer services they were very helpful. (I would like to say at this point that I think the review below about missing your return time and being charged a fine is unfair. Of COURSE you're charged if you return the vehicle late; someone else may have it booked straight away after you and if you return it late you mess up whatever it is that person has planned. If I'm ever running late I just log on through the CCC website on my phone and amend my "return" time for a later one. That's really quite a simple way to avoid a fine. They DO also state that you will be fined for late returns in their terms and conditions, and you should give those a read before joining any scheme like this so that you know exactly where you stand in all situations.) I had one problem with CCC and that occurred at the start of this month when I needed emergency dentistry at the same time that an invoice was due. I contacted them to cancel my invoice and delay payment for a month so that I could get my teeth fixed. Unfortunately this wasn't done and the CCC payment came out automatically, leaving me unable to afford the dentist! But when I complained CCC DID refund the entire of my previous invoice for me so that I could afford my dentistry, postponing the payment for a few weeks for me. As a business (which, let's face it, exists to make money) I really did not expect them to do this. Sometimes mistakes happen, but it's only been one mistake in an otherwise completely positive experience so far, and when effort is made to rectify that mistake credit must surely be given! (As an extra note to a review below; their terms and conditions DO also say to check the car for any scratches BEFORE you drive and to report this immediately if there are any so that you aren't held responsible for it. Again, this is simple to do. If you failed to check for damage surely that's your problem and a risk you've entered in to willingly?) All in all I've had an excellent experience with CCC. Never had a problem with any of the cars and their customer service is brilliant. I would like a car a little closer to my postcode - N11, Arnos Grove, PLEASE :) - because I always miss the last tube home after dropping the car off and have to get a nightbus. I would use the service a LOT more if I could walk home after using the car. (I currently use 1,2, perhaps 3 times a month.) So, what have we learned today? READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS and you'd have an extra £500 you could spend on my dentistry.

“Great service at a Reasonable Price”

written by MickyB89 on 23/01/2013

City Car Club offer a fantastic service at, I think, a very reasonable price. The process of booking a car is incredibly easy, even from a mobile, and there is so many cars I've always been spoilt for choice - even on a short notice booking. On the odd occasion where I've had to deal with a member of staff, I've always found them very helpful and friendly and they have responded to my queries quickly - and even offered me a free test drive of one of their newer cars. As for the cars themselves - all the ones I've used have been fairly new and of a decent spec with Sat Nav, Air Con, Rear Parking camera etc. As an occasional car user I find City Car Club a much cheaper alternative to ownership and actually a lot less hassle! I'd have no hesitation in recommending City Car Club.

“Theives”

written by Benwuk on 10/01/2013

I was a member of City Car Club for 18months. I was promised a renewal price of £30 but they charged me the full amount of £60. I highlighted this fact and they agreed that I should be refunded £30. I was promised this would happen in December. I have received no refund and they are now claiming that 1) I am not due a refund (Even though I have the letter stating I would be automatically renewed at £30) 2) They did not agree to a refund (Even though I have emails stating the expected pay date of my refund!) Stay well away! Much more hassle free to hire a car as and when you need it. Judging from other reviews Citycarclub are just using the cars as a vessel to con you out of more money.

Citycarclub's Response to Benwuk's Review

Written on: 23/01/2013

Sounds like a complete failure of communication, apologies. Forward a copy/photo of the letter stating it would be £30 to [email protected] and I'll get the refund done instantly.

Read 1 Comment

“Cowboys”

written by mindis on 06/10/2011

If you scratch the car: they forced me to drive the vehicle immediately back to the bay, charged me £500 (even if the car already had scratches) and don't explain for what, I didn't get an invoice and eventually they stopped responding to my emails. Think twice before joining this ring

“Make sure you check the fine details and follow all...”

written by reviewkai on 03/08/2011

I am in London and was late for half an hour due to traffic for my last booking, and later find that I was charged £30 pound for that. It turns out that you need to call them if you are running late, which is not mentioned clearly anywhere. I am not sure if there is anything else I missed. Also, they increase their price, so it is better off to rent a car for a longer trip. The condition of the car I used was not that great without proper cleaning and things are not at place they should be.

“Nice review above from, I would suppose, someone...”

written by on 12/12/2010

Nice review above from, I would suppose, someone employed by city car club...

They renewed my membership without any notice, without any email asking me if I actually wanted to renew it. I realised they did it once they emailed me the invoice.

“Brighton City Car Club has been so useful for me -...”

written by on 26/09/2009

Brighton City Car Club has been so useful for me - access to a car when I need one without actually having to own a car myself. I just walk a couple of minutes and have a choice of 3 new cars, jump in and drive off. I pay £3.96 per hour (I'm on their Discount Card scheme cos I drive quite frequenty) and get 50 miles of free petrol per day with each booking.

I'd certainly recommend Brighton City Car Club.