StreetCar Reviews - www.streetcar.co.uk

StreetCar - www.streetcar.co.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for StreetCar - www.streetcar.co.uk

StreetCar - www.streetcar.co.uk

“Absolutely rude and unprofessional agents on the phone”

written by ccBennett125 on 15/04/2014

I used their service for about three weeks every morning and I must say I've never experienced such rudeness and unprofessionalism by a firm. Got told several times taxi would be there in 5 min but I was lucky if it came after 15 minutes. I missed my tram to work so many times due to them. Last day I booked a taxi via them I was really upset and asked to speak to a manager. Got to speak to one of their agents as I recognised his voice then he said yes I am the agent you booked the taxi with. Instead of apologising for the cab to be so late he was firm in his opinion that it wasn't late at all and did not even once express his apologies during the conversation. Unbelievable!! Will never recommend to friends or family and of course not booking them again.

“False Hope”

written by on 25/09/2011

Initially staff were fantastic, I really thought we'd made a great choice by signing up for streetcar. My one and only attempt at using their cars was a disaster. I needed the car as I was hoping to get to an antique fair to source products for work. When I got to the car at 4.30 in the morning I noticed the car was a lot more battered than I could ever have imagined. It took me about 20mins to look through the damage report as there was so much previous damage and I had to make sure I didn't miss any new damage. I finally sat in the car to check over the interior and I noticed the gear stick knob was missing. I attempted to drive the car without it but could not get the thing into reverse?? I had no choice but to return car after an hour as I felt unsafe to drive. I reported the situation and was offered a £10 refund?!! I thought I'd give them another chance today because i need a van for a few hours, I rang their customer service team as i needed to find an answer to something I couldn't find on their website. After spending 25mins, being cut off 3 times ( i could hear them talking to their colleague before they cut me off) I eventually got through to someone. When I explained my frustration his response was "Oh well". I am writing to their head office as I don't think an email will be attended to. I am also going to speak to the office of fair trading. I personally do not think some of their vehicles are safe to drive and will be raising that issue with the relevant party. Don't waste your money, time and safety on these people.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 25/09/2011

They have now joined zipcar so it will get worse

Read 1 Comment

“Car broke down - and I got charged for the time!”

written by on 07/09/2011

Unbelieveable. The car stopped in the middle of a busy high road. The people at Streetcar were not helpful or quick in responding, in fact it was horribly frustrating. Eventually they realised that the the "demobilisation system had come on by mistake", by which time I'd been sitting in a busy high street for 30 minutes. Scary, with traffic hooting and going by quickly. Then to make matters worse, Streetcar charged me for a late return of the car! The man on the phone was rude to my girlfriend, saying that "late fees were charged for late return" - even though it was their fault. Streetcar still haven't respond to my email to complain - nor have they offered me a refund! I'm going to take this further - any suggestions on how to do this? Awful.

“Convenient”

written by buzzreview on 04/09/2011

It sounds like your issues were more a function of you not playing by the rules than any fault of streetcar. There service is what it is. Accept the cars are sometimes dirty and likely to be damaged and move on. Perfection costs much more than 5.95/hour. I think their service is great. Where else can you pick up a van at the last minute for an hour late Sunday afternoon and only pay 8.95/hour! When you live in London do you really want a car? Add the price of insurance, depreciation, fuel and the fact you would only rarely use it. I agree that it is not a service for prima donnas.

Al1234's Response to buzzreview's Review

Written on: 07/09/2011

My streetcar experience was awful. The very first time I used it, the car broke down (the demobilisation system came on, even though I was within my time, in the middle of a busy road).

Scary, and the staff were mostly not helpful. And I was charged for late fees!

Read 1 Comment

“Deceitful accounting, dirty cars, smashed up cars”

written by on 24/08/2011

I love the idea of Streetcar, it's brilliant how easy it is to book and pick up their cars and beats picking up a hire car which is a very painful process! One problem is that Streetcar estimate the price of your trip, then when you get back they hit you with massive charges - charges which you are not prewarned will be taken from your account. I've also had some seriously dirty cars and one which was really smashed up. The staff are lovely and helpful and I just wish the experience was as good as the idea. In short they charge way more than a hire car, they are not up front about the charges and you run the risk of picking up a dirty or damaged car.

“Do not join this car club.”

written by N.Ramsey on 26/06/2011

The promise of a convenient hassle free service that's more affordable than having a car is a BIG FAT LIE. The first time I used the service I arrived at the car (after a 20 minute walk because they don't have an automatic car near me) to find a severely damaged vehicle. I called them immediately and they apparently had no idea it was damaged. They weren't prepared to bring me a replacement car so I had to drive a crashed car. I had to arrive at a wedding as a professional and suffer the embarrassment of people thinking that I had caused this damage. After returning the vehicle, I felt I was due some kind of compensation or refund and StreetCar were only prepared to give me £20 off. The second time I borrowed a vehicle (after travelling via public transport around 30 minutes because they don't have an un-damaged automatic vehicle in my area) after returning the car on time I was later told that I had returned the car late and was being charged a late fee plus extra mileage incurred. They then realised that a member of their own staff had taken the car immediately after me and this was not my fault. I still had to pay a bank charge which they were not prepared to pay for. Every time I rent a vehicle it is dirty inside and out. I have spent time and money on getting them cleaned which I am still yet to be reimbursed for. I contacted the company to fond out if the damaged vehicle had been repaired yet and they told me it had. So I booked it. I went to check the car that evening to avoid embarrassment again and the damage was still there. She had blatantly lied to me. I called to cancel my membership and I was told I cannot get my payment refunded and the closest thing to cancellation was to just not renew my membership the next year. I am so unhappy with the service and feel like all they care about is money. My advice is not to join. It really is cheaper to own your own vehicle.

“I loved streetcar and told everyone about it - but now...”

written by on 26/05/2011

Hi I have not had a problem itself, i sold my car and been using streetcar for over a year. I was using brand new BMW1 series, and really loved the service. However over time - people could not be bothered to clean the cars and so when the next person turned up they were a right state. The prices have gone up, the miles you get have gone down but the worse part is the number of cars that have been removed, particularly in central Kingston where I live. It ended up being impossible to use the service without travelling by train or bus to find a car! Customer service ignore emails, and where really good. I suspect they have seriously cut back on people. I am sorry to all the people I recommended. I am back shopping for my own car! RIP StreetCar!

Swelly's Comment

Written on: 22/06/2011

Living up North i have never heard about this! Seems like a great idea though but a shame has not worked. presume there are other companies that do this service.

I think we have a similar service with bicycle rental, it seems a great idea but already I've seen some vandalised bikes, its such a shame that a few sad people in the general public spoil it for others

Read 1 Comment

“Street car are expensive car renters! Include the...”

written by on 06/04/2011

Street car are expensive car renters! Include the membership, insurance, fee for less excess and the extra miles you have to pay it is not even worth it. Unsatisfied!

“Streetcar has an optional insurance. You can pay 10...”

written by on 02/04/2011

Streetcar has an optional insurance. You can pay 10 pounds monthly to reduce the excess to 250 Pounds and 15 pounds to reduce the excess to 0 pounds in case of an accident etc. I am a student and I cannot afford to pay money in the case of a breakdown or accident, so I paid the 15 pounds monthly additionally to the usual fee to be save. What they don't tell you is that many things are not covered at all. I had a flat tyre, needed to be picked up and now they want me to pay everything... Apparently, even with the full insurance you need always to pay some charges (which are not too cheap...) THERFORE, BE VERY CAUTIOUS WITH STREETCAR!!!!

“Joined street car several months ago and have nothing...”

written by on 15/03/2011

Joined street car several months ago and have nothing but bad things to say about them. I joined purely on convenience basis as there was a car right at the end of my road. 1 week after joining they removed the car with out warning. When I called to ask why they started to say it was in garage and could take a month to come back, then they said it was due to demand, then they said it was that they may have lost parking space on road. I asked why they don't inform customers of the decision to remove cars; rep said "we do notify members of new cars, but yes it would be a good idea, I suppose, to do same for removed cars". The customer service rep I spoke to sounded about 18 and clearly had very little experience in dealing with annoyed clients! I have tried to book a car several times but weekends and evenings are near impossible unless you book 2 weeks in advance, which defeats the whole point for my money. Having hired cars from them, when you take booking fees (for what!!) and everything else into account you can hire a car for the day, with better insurance cover, cheaper than streetcar, every time.

Overall, rubbish customers service, cars not very clean (to extent you wouldn't spot a scratch on them), not convenient and dam expensive considering what you get. TOP TIP - take photos of car before and after to prove any damage was not you!

“Streetcar has one of the best customer service I've...”

written by on 14/03/2011

Streetcar has one of the best customer service I've come across - they actually behave like human beings! I've persuaded loads of friends to join just cos of that. Theres no app for Android yet (only iPhone), so I have to use their mobile site to book and open the cars.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 25/06/2011

Do you work for them? is the negative reviews getting a little to high for your firm that you have to improve the image...

Read 1 Comment

“getting to expensive,need a car for a day cheaper to...”

written by on 03/03/2011

getting to expensive,need a car for a day cheaper to hire. cars are dirty.will not renew my membership.

“Only good when there is no other alternative, You live...”

written by on 28/02/2011

Only good when there is no other alternative, You live 10mins away from a street car bay and you only need it for an hour or 2. It only works out cheaper if you are collecting someone from a train station or airport so long as there are no delays then its way cheaper than a taxi. You cant really use it to meet friend or stay for dinner because you are paying by the hour. I cancelled my membership because they charged me £50 for being 13 mins late because there was a diversion we didnt know about for that price we could have rented a car for 2 days with enterprise. A lot of the time the cars smelled of smoke and there wasnt one that was close by to where I lived even though I offered my drive for a street car bay and now they have just increased their charges. They neaver had many automatic cars available you really need to plan ahead at least the night before to get a car at the time you need. Streetcar is a good idea just needs to be cheaper and have more locations also they need to find a way of being able to do single journeys

“Street car operate a 'tripwire' form of accounting and...”

written by on 26/02/2011

Street car operate a 'tripwire' form of accounting and some highly questionable practises in terms of ethic if not legality.
Here is an abstract of a reply I wrote to their customer services person who was explaining away the 'rights' of the terms and conditions which, in my view, impose unfair rates of insurance and addons suhc as a £750 EXCESS - (for people who probably only use the service two ro trhee times a month - or less
OR £30 per day and a recntly discoverd fact and th subject of our correpondence: A chagre of £19.50 for 'ADminsitration Charge for handling a claim' and a Charge of £20 perday (loss of revenue for each day the acr is our of service). Checkout their website and (if you can) work out the usage rate of their vehicles, on average; my guessitemate is about 20%.
Anyway read on:
When set against the fact that the additional driver on my account has never ever used a streetcar for one second of one minute throughout the entire year (our choice) - ergo never put the car at risk - how silly was I to have ever insured the risk of attracting a £750 excess? Didn't do my sums did I. Once I had, and realising there lay ahead of me yet another year of throwing bad money after bad money, I cancelled the additional premium for the additional driver to protect against the Excess of £750 'cos it aint ever gonna happen, Bro. But it seems that Streetcar still have the legal entitlement to impose the so called 'Loss of Revenue daily charge'. And an additional charge for the administration of the claim. Both of these charges should, in my view, be adjusted across the whole membership already contributing to the basic blanket insurance policy operated by the company.
t seems to me that Streetcar has elected to cream off this 'loss' as a 'nice little earner' - symptomatic of the "Arthur Daley School of Business Management". Well, Bad Luck - it's Goodbye from Me and it's Goodbye from Her!

Luke, I suppose if I were to be strictly honest with myself, I would accept that my disgust with Streetcar should properly be focused on the disgust and embarrassment I feel for myself for being sucked in by it all: the 'touchy-feely' chatter and tone used on the front page advertising and customer interface.

Streetcar? A club for members it aint. Shame really, Streetcar had the opportunity to do something really great but ask yourself this: Has it achieved that potential and if, as I believe, it has not, then ask Why not? I would suggest that it is because the mutuality proposed in it's ethic is not delivered 'on the Street', so it's not 'street', it aint cool and it aint for us. In due course I shall be cancelling my membership but now Streetcar has our money for another twelve months, we'll have to cut our losses and make the best of it. But be assured we shall spend a cool twelve months finding a worthy replacement.

“I have been a member for about 6 months. I now WOULD...”

written by on 24/02/2011

I have been a member for about 6 months. I now WOULD NEVER recommend StreetCar to anyone at all. They have absolutely zero customer service skills, are run by people who are very unhelpful and are clearly just money hungry. They do, indeed, take cash from your bank account without asking and without letting you know in advance. This amount on one occasion was nearly £100 - for using the car for 4 hours. I could have hired a car for 2 days for that!

From March 2011, they are putting the prices UP and the fuel allowance DOWN!!! How crazy is that?!?!?! I wouldn't recommend the service to anybody, in fact, I would emplore you to stay away from it because as much as it's nice to drive a flash '10' plate BMW, it's GENUINELY not worth the hassle. They never seem willing to help. And they will sting you with insurance excess's and blame you for additional damage which there never was when you left the car.

The past reviews are pretty dim and it's pretty clear why.

WARNING!!! STAY WELL AWAY FROM STREETCAR WARNING!!!

“I've been a member for over a year now. Like other...”

written by on 21/01/2011

I've been a member for over a year now. Like other reviewers I raved about how good they were then things changed. Local car pick up points were just closed without any warning. Then came the alleged damage e mail threatening to charge my account. Okay you check the cars at the start of your trip and report any damage. You take the car back and leave it in the bay. The car is then left for any vandal/careless driver to damage the car and you as the last driver gets the blame. After numerous e mails and phone calls and worry (two weeks later)another e mail arrived saying a field engineer had looked at the car and decided the damage was not caused by me!!!! This totally freaked me out and have not used street car since.

BEWARE

Get a cab buy an old banger it could save you thousands

“I used StreetCar for just over a year. I should have...”

written by MWM on 29/12/2010

I used StreetCar for just over a year. I should have canceled when I could have. I figured because they were a new company, maybe they had a few kinks to work out. The reality, though, is that it never got any better. I would call to complain about the previous driver being late returning my car, damage to the vehicle, improper charges, etc, and the most frequent response I would receive is, "I'm sorry, sir, but we're a business. We can't do anything about that." I was a customer of ZipCar in the US and the customer service was miles better. Often with StreetCar, I found the vehicles to be in pretty shoddy shape. That, coupled with the callous customer service, as well as the mysterious charges to my account that would take months to get reversed, made me cancel my account. StreetCar is a nice idea, but it's too much trouble to be worth it.

“Streetcar are fantastic. I have been a member since...”

written by on 18/11/2010

Streetcar are fantastic. I have been a member since the beginning. It is a brilliant way of buying convenience if you don't have a car. The cars are generally clean and well maintained. Its a bit less of a club than it used to be as it has become bigger - more of a service now - but that is hardly a surprise as it has grown so much.

“I wasn't using it enough so cancelled my membership...”

written by on 04/11/2010

I wasn't using it enough so cancelled my membership direct debit. The cheeky buggers STILL TOOK THE £60 from my account because they had my bank details. This amounts to theft in my opinion. DON'T TRUST THEM!

“Street car is a terrible company ”

written by on 20/09/2010

Street car is a terrible company
i would not recomend it to anyone

The company is very money hungery, in the begining, they seem great, but as time goes by, you may notice rediculous unecessary charges coming out of your acount (out of your will may i add)

I got into an accident in a streetcar, nothing major, but because of this, my account was suspended and the company tried to take £1500 from my bank account, i recieved a call from my bank saying theysuspected fraud so didnt allow the tranaction to go through (thank god)

When i confronted streetcar, they ssaid they had a right! i was very angry at this point, so now i am not giving them a penny

Aminaree's Comment

Written on: 20/09/2010

I found this review very helpful because...