The Phone Co-op Telecoms Reviews - www.thephone.coop

• Extra Features

The Phone Co-op Telecoms www.thephone.coop - Ask a question now

“no hidden charges?”

Written on: 06/07/2019

Firstly what exactly is ethical broadband? The Phone co op uses the same network as Talk Talk and there is nothing special about that. Fair pricing? well, they are more expensive, slower and have longer contracts than their competitors. No Hidden charges? Here's the rub: after being a Phone Co op customer for 6 years, our line went down. I had to beg them to fix it in a timely manner as they were in no rush. I ended up in tears on the phone to them. The engineer came and fixed a fault at our… Read Full Review

“expensive very expensive”

Written on: 09/01/2016 by Schmidt320 (1 review written)

I went to the coop phone and broadband service as i was a customer of coop energy and have a local coop shop and have been a supporter of the movement for a long time ,i can still remember my grannies dividend number from the early sixties. I must admit i am very disapointed with the cost ,much of the items that other suppliers do not charge for are added on with the coop.If you want a download allowance of over 20Gb it costs a lot more if you want evening and weekend calls it costs a lot. I… Read Full Review

“As good as Xilo & AAISP, but cheaper for me.”

Written on: 04/03/2013 by Kansenji (2 reviews written)

I have been with The Phone Co-op, now called "THE CO-OPERATIVE PHONE & BROADBAND" for 19 months, having previously been with (amongst others), the excellent XILO & AAISP companies. I wanted to keep the excellent broadband service I already had, but needed to save money & wanted a package to include line rental & calls. The Co-operative uses MurphX (the same network as Xilo), so the download & upload speeds are indistinguishable from those I received previously. I regularly test those speeds… Read Full Review

“Expensive, no 24hr support, didn't work”

Written on: 02/03/2013 by goodlegs (4 reviews written)

I signed up for broadband with thephone.coop because I wanted to use an ethical supplier. I didn't need the ability to make phone calls, but had to pay line rental as the broadband won't work without it. I was given a start date for the line (which was of no use to me for the reason above, yet I was charged from this date) and a later date for broadband go-live. I was disappointed that the go-live date was more than 3 weeks after my order was placed. When the go-live date came around, the… Read Full Review

Kansenji's Response to goodlegs's Review

Written on: 04/03/2013

I'm sorry to see that your experience of The Phone Co-op was not good; quite the opposite of my own experience over about 18 months with them.

What puzzles me though, is WHY did you chose them if they are "very expensive compared to other providers"? I actually moved to them because they were relatively cheap yet had lots of good reviews!

Goodlegs's Response to goodlegs's Review

Written on: 05/03/2013

I chose them because I would ideally like to use ethical companies for all my services, and would be prepared to pay more for such companies (for example I use Ecotricity for energy).

However, that doesn't give them a license to fail to provide a service ( it didn't work and it became my problem to chase them constantly to make it work), to provide poor customer service, or to remove my consumer rights by making it impossible to cancel my service.

I don't get your comment about them being relatively cheap - that's patently untrue. Over £20 per month and a small data allowance which means extra costs incurred each month for going over. That's not cheap.

Read 2 Comments

“thought they'd be great as an ethical alternative. I...”

Written on: 07/02/2011

thought they'd be great as an ethical alternative. I just have the standard £10.00 contract. As of yet (2 weeks)am unable to make or receive calls!!!!!!!! No one seems to know what's going on and they seem blase to say the least about the whole thing. To make matters worse, I've just been on hold in a queue(on my landline) for 7mins 31seconds. I do not recommend them… Read Full Review

“The Phone Co-op is the only telecoms Co-operative in...”

Written on: 06/07/2010

The Phone Co-op is the only telecoms Co-operative in the UK and something of a pioneer.
I have been with them now for three years and have been very impressed by the enthusiasm of the staff and their willingness to engage with me over even the most trivial of issues. Compared to previous experiences with BT and Talktalk they are a breath of fresh air and demonstrate that increasingly rare ability: Common sense.
They are not perfect but they are a great deal closer to being perfect than any… Read Full Review

“Very poor service. Since we have signed up with them,...”

Written on: 04/12/2009 by alainmaurel (3 reviews written)

Very poor service. Since we have signed up with them, the broadband keeps cutting off at peak times. They want us to keep on making time consuming tests to check a problem which is on their side as it has to do with the bandwith they are allocated by BT and how BT manages it. We have now 11 months to suffer left on the contract with them.
I would not recommend these guys to anyone… Read Full Review

“My experience with the Phone-Coop has been pretty...”

Written on: 26/10/2009 by Yorkshireman0702 (2 reviews written)

My experience with the Phone-Coop has been pretty poor..... On my first bill I was charged for 12months rental. I have queried several charges on subsequent bills which took a long time to resolve and even then only after having to (try to) contact them on many occasions. I finally wrote to the Chief Executive - Vivian Woodell - that was several weeks agaon and I still haven't had a response.
Finally told them how 'disappointing' their customer servicew as and that I'd be looking elsewhere for… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“Absolutely abysmal service from The Phone Co-op...”

Written on: 12/06/2009

Absolutely abysmal service from The Phone Co-op Telecoms right from the word go. After eventually managing to connect to the broadband service I was lucky to get between 500 and 750k. According to the BT test facility it estimated I should be able to get up to 5meg! After a lot of mucking about I managed to get that up to 3meg on a good day. Unfortunately I am now subject to a connection that drops out on average once every 5 to 10 minutes. Three months of phone calls, emails and letter writing… Read Full Review

“The Phone Co-op is unlike any other supplier in that...”

Written on: 15/04/2009 by gaiahexham (1 review written)

The Phone Co-op is unlike any other supplier in that it is a cooperative venture. It is actually owned by its members and run for their benefit and is answerable to its members. The service is excellent. The customer service staff are knowledgeable and mature and clearly know what they are talking about. I would have no hesitation is recommending this company. We have been delighted with the Phone Co-op… Read Full Review