1st Central Car Insurance Reviews - www.1stcentralinsurance.com

Media Gallery for 1st Central Car Insurance - www.1stcentralinsurance.com

“Extortionate fees”

written by Vance215 on 27/01/2023

I made a small error on my NCD (never claimed in years but only had document confirming 3 years). I had to scan/screenprint various documents to send to them and then they charged me a £50 admin fee to increase my premium by £20 (£70 total). I looked at cancelling after only 30 days insurance coverage, but they then wanted to charge me a further admin fee even though i did it online, a cancellation fee, and a further fee which resulted in me potentially owing them even more money. I have begrudgingly styed with them but dread if there is any potential claim and certainly will not be renewing. AVOID THEM.

“Terrible service, bullying tactics when making changes”

written by JulietMcGinnis on 26/01/2023

Terrible service, bullying tactics when making changes, no reply to e mails, hard to get through to phone, very threating behaviour.

“On line queries akin to the Krypton Factor!”

written by VintageMod on 25/01/2023

The mistake I made with this lot is that they came top of the list in price for on-line car insurance quotes - Big mistake! Trying to track down a contact telephone nunber was difficult and at every opportunity they told me to sod off and go the web site. Actually I needed to speak to someone about an issue that their QandAs (ho ho!) didn't cover. The biggest mistake I made was to agree to get insured on-line because absolutely everything regarding your policy is subsequently done on line rather than actually being able to speak to someone; nearly all on-line insurance companies quite like this, ie, we like taking your money but the last thing we want to do is actually talk to you! I cancelled my policy the next day; my policy 'number' was 15 characters long for heaven's sake! and I'd have to quote this to the RAC should their mechanics manage to tear themselves away from their phones! and I had to pay a cancellation 'admin'fee of course! I've learnt a lesson from this insofar as I've now gone to a local insurance company that possess a telephone that gets answered! How this lot got favourable reviews is a complete mystery to me, I imagine they wrote them themselves!

“Be prepared to do all your own legwork”

written by Karleyv251 on 18/01/2023

Started great good competitive price, then bang they email and say you have not declared an accident so payments are doubling. AH WHAT ACCIDENT. You had an accident 3 years ago as a driver and claimed against your insurance. I wasn't even driving 3 years ago let alone claimed. I had to contact the other insurance company not 1st central. They told me no you were not insured with us and never claimed sent me an email to confirm this. Not good anough needed a letter on headed paper. They still tried to tell me it was on the data base as me. Threatened to go to ombudsman they came back and told me I was looking at the wrong date ah you gave it to me. They gave me anougher date different company person with same surname and date of birth. Again upto me to sort out. Confirmation again from the other company that this person had different first name to mine and it was not myself. It has took months to sort while paying extra to keep my car on the Rd or pay £100s to cancel policy. I have had no apology or compensation for my time writing to other companies and the national data base which they could of done in mins to confirm but no they want you to prove them wrong. It wouldn't be to bad if you could deal with one person but again to easy so you spend ages each time having to go through everything while they read notes. They mislead you and fob you off and expect you to do their job. I have had month's of banging my head against a wall. Please save yourself the hassle.

“I am writing this review so you The Reader don't make...”

written by KynanNoel on 11/01/2023

I am writing this review so you The Reader don't make the mistake I did of ever using 1st Central. I will admit initially they were the cheapest option and they were fine while my interactions with them were small and insignificant. Eventually, I decided to cancel and this is where the problems began. They will slap fees and fees on you as you try to leave. admin fees, leaving fees the works. They will make it difficult for you to cancel. Their customer service team will burden you with constant waiting and confirming just to simply stop the policy. Once that is all done, you will be chased for debt collection even after paying their ridiculous egregious fees. I strongly recommend you Reader to take a look here and Trustpilot and all their social media  Take a look at these people's comments and decide for yourself if they are for you. You get what you pay for in this life, and if you choose 1st Central you will only get misery.

“Totally duped”

written by AndrewBotte on 05/01/2023

I purchased insurance and 24 days later had a request for proof of no claims. Upon discussion they decided they could not accept my no claims proof as it was registered against a different car. This despite the supermarket platform question being do you have no claims on this or any other car? I clicked yes and the amount and thought that was it. Upon learning of the above they then requited at over double the original price. When I tried to cancel I was charged a total of £115 for 24 days cover in total. I feel totally ripped off for what from my end was a genuine error. It feels like the insurer has deliberately waited beyond the statutory 14 day cooling off period to request further info rolling me into their unreasonably high charges. How the insurance industry allows companies like this to trade is beyond me. Never again. I just hope more people leave comment so others are warned.

“Shocking, not impressed at all !”

written by Tonybrookcarter on 03/01/2023

After getting insurance with them for only 2,1/2 months I was sent emails about “proof of claims”. Then to be sent cancellation of policy i was to pay a re calculated amount of £ 1008.35 which at only 20 years of age on top of amount adding up to £3500 in monthly payments is ridiculous, Due to an accident that I was only a passenger in of a vehicle which my father whom was not at fault Causeing whip lash to both of us. At this time was over a christmas period between 22-27 of December 22 which there company policy agreement line was closed after the 22 of December was told that I could not re invalidate the policy because I was over the 48 hour period with not call or even text to say it was cancelled just an email! when assigning agreement to be told over text email and phone call of any changes to my policy and then to be told to ring the sales department to try get new insurance, when upon speaking to there sales department I was told yet again for the second time that the caim I was involved with i did not have to included with in my quote or agained my insurance information not inpressed at all at 20 years of age I no longer can afford insurance costing up to £9000 even with a black box with any insurance due to the ridiculous company that cant even work with there sales department I would not recommend at all ! Thanks again for a ridiculous service at “1ST CENTRAL” car insurance

Caveman1's Response to Tonybrookcarter's Review

Written on: 03/01/2023

If they treat you like this i would deffinetly stay away from them. Contact a lawyer or CAB or Ombudsman to see if they can help

Read 1 Comment

“Cover only for a fraction of the value of the car”

written by CatalinaTempleton452 on 03/01/2023

Car Insurance with First Central. I've never had need to claim insurance with them in the 13 months I was with them but checked my policy shortly after a year when I started to get emails asking me to urgently sign something. I discovered that the cover was only for less than half the actual value of my car. Checked around and found a lot of much better deals. Forced to call them to cancel. The policy had rolled over but I'd had no clear notifications of this so I'd missed my chance to cancel in the "cooling off" period. I was told that the only way to cancel was to pay nearly £100 card because I'd missed the cooling off period and for "admin fees". I was given no option but to pay there and then with my bank card. Cannot recommend this company. Before I bought this policy I would have liked to have known that I would have to pay at least £50 to terminate the policy even if within cooling off period, also to be given proper notification that the renewal date was coming up, and to have known how much the car was valued at the point of renewal.

“Nightmare is understated ”

written by Chandlerkb276 on 30/12/2022

Nightmare is understated. I filed a claim in August 2022. It's now a few days to Jan 2023 and my car hasn't been sorted out after doing all the legwork myself. I spoke to different people in their call centre in South Africa who gave me varied information. First I had to source my own repairer because theirs are not bothered. Second I had to chase them all the time, no courtesy calls for an update. The courtesy car company kept calling me for an update, which I didn't have. I had to cancel the courtesy car to stop the annoying calls. I have been passed on, put on hold, etc. Endless. Don't be deceived by low prices.

“Why is this ok ”

written by Glenn8119 on 16/11/2022

If I could give a minus I would I was recently employed and then I was let go due to cut backs and mental issues and now not working there charging me £894 how or there going to cancel my policy of I do not pay upfront as they will not add to monthly instalments so is there a point of carrying on as we do our best to survive then corporate companies see it OK to take money you have got as no job so what's the point might as well give up now save all the struggle

“Disappointing ”

written by AzariaBauer on 04/11/2022

I am very disappointed by 1st central insurance. Poor website, links not working then website crashed. Charged £50 to cancel a policy within 2 hours, which is extortionate!!!! I will never want to use this company again.

“The Worst insurance company”

written by adrian01. on 03/09/2022

The worst insurance company I've deal with.Like customer and like 3rd party no fault claim. Customer: changed my policy on my new car and they didn't transfer my NCB protection.I've called them and they said will check and update me(this was 3 months ago) 3rd party with my 2nd car:After a non fault accident with one of there customer(hit me on the rear in traffic jam).They keeped my car 2 month and said they will not repair it and offer me half of the price for repair and £500 compensatory(I was at hospital and 6 physiotherapy sessions). WORST Company, they deserve 0*

“Dodgy insurers ”

written by Akbaraliabbas on 02/09/2022

made me pay for the package and then increased the price two months after and said the previous accident on my history was not settled, provided them with proof of why the claim was delayed due to the courts backlog. they just ignore and add extra get out fees!!! go to axa they are trustworthy

“The one time I needed them after 3 years..”

written by Timmeh101 on 14/08/2022

The 1 time I needed this company after 3 years being insured with them when I locked my keys in the car with the engine running blocking an entrance they couldn’t and didn’t help. Fair enough they only pay £50 towards the locksmith but then no locksmiths in area, their solution is call one yourself. Great guys thanks for your help.

“Lost time and money ”

written by Jamya7 on 08/08/2022

Three weeks have passed and they still haven't done anything and they're asking for longer . They told me to find another work shop and I found one within an hour and today they told me to wait another week for probation. They told me they would lend me a car similar size to the one I have for my holiday and they still haven't done this. This company traps clients into spending money with no effect and continuously say that they will do something. Due to this, they will ruin mine and my family's holiday. Never buy insurance from this company. This is a jock, don't buy policy with the company just lost time and money.

“Terrible company - AVOID**”

written by thiscompanyisajokee on 22/07/2022

Terrible company ... !!! Auto renews car insurance without consent** My fella sold his car back in Jan 2022 they have auto renewed his insurance (from his card details without his consent) now trying to get a refund for a car we don't own well, what a joke!! We have proof of the date he/ we sold the car yet I am still waiting, honestly AVIOD this company!! Advisors are not helpful nor is this company really any cheaper than any others. Go with a company you trust and know!!! I never write feedback but had to on this occasion as I am so disappointed with the service.

“Taking them to the Ombudsman....Please don't”

written by Maldonado338 on 21/07/2022

My Daughter bought her Insurance with 1st Central, using a comparison website as she has done now for the past 5 years. 2 weeks after the policy started, and having paid her premium, they then phone her to say they need to verify some details. Turns out she had input the wrong pass date of her driving test by one month on the comparison website some years ago (she has been driving for 5 years with no claims bonus) and say that there will be charge to change this of £50. My Daughter then asked how much extra it might cost if she wanted to increase her annual mileage. They gave her a price, which my Daughter then thanked them for and said that given the extra cost she did not want to change the annual mileage (turns out she doesn't need to as her Partner now works from home). To her disbelief, they than said that because she had asked for a price for the increase in annual mileage, she now HAD to have the increase annual mileage on her policy and would have to pay another £85 on top of the £50 for the incorrect date change. My Daughter argued that she did not want the xtra mileage but to no avail. To top it all, they have now this week, taken the £135 from my daughters account for these charges!! I have advised her that she should now request that her bank return the funds to her under the Direct debit guarantee system (as they are legally required to do). I have also advised her that she should cancel her policy with them, but like many others, they want to charge her over £100 to cancel. I've Insured cars for over 40 years now with numerous Insurance companies big and small , and have never come across anything like this. We will be referring them to the Financial Ombudsman, and will be contacting various consumer programmes about her treatment. 1st Central = Absolute disgraceful.

“Stay away! ”

written by Nelsonqh358 on 14/07/2022

I've received an email from 1st Central stating, my policy will be cancelled starting with 20th of July because I have a second job. I've tried to explain I don't use the car for second job as I have a fully insured van with other insurance provider but didn't count. However, I've accepted that but when I checked today on askMid , surprise: they cancelled the policy from 13th of July instead of 20th without to tell us, and my partner drove the car without insurance! Dear 1st Central! It's illegal to drive on a road or in a public place without insurance! We've done that based on your official email!!! We put complaints against them, and definitely we will take that forward to PRA, FCA and Ombudsman based on all of the evidence!

“Really going to a dark place dealing with these guys.”

written by ooKemp403 on 12/07/2022

Really going to a dark place dealing with these guys. Non fault accident on the 28/12/2021, followed all process's and reported the claim with dashcam footage and crime reference number. 15/02/2022 No contact or information available when calling them to check progress since claim was reported so phoned in and logged a complaint. 23/03/2022 called in to check progress several times since logging the complaint and they have still not made any progress even though there injury department has emailed to say third party has accepted full liability over the accident on the 17/03/22. No reply to my complaint, really feel let down as for once I did not pick the cheapest insurance by £400 paying over a £100 a month for 1st central premier, 5 stars does not mean anything. Most if not all positive reviews seem to be based on buying the policy rather than actually having to deal them because personally I would never insure with them ever again and will most likely cancel the policy if and when this claim is dealt with. Please do not leave a generic reply as I will keep this review updated until it is finished. 04/04/2022 No contact or update regarding the claim, complaint, or bad review apart from enterprise rental telling me I can keep the courtesy car. 11/04/22 No contact or update regarding the claim, complaint, or bad review. 13/04/22 Has been 8 weeks since original complaint with no contact, reply regarding the issues I bought up, will now be escalating this to the Financial Ombudsman. 19/04/22 Contacted by first central regarding the compliant and offered compensation and a apology for the repair team’s poor service which I accepted. My chosen repairer has had an influx of work and can no longer book me in anytime soon so on the 20/04/22 I’ve rang the first central repair team to be allocated one of there repairers. 27/04/22 No contact from the repair team, also the vehicle has run out of mot on the 03/03/22. 27/04/22 I’ve rang 1st central repair team and let them know the car has no mot and that I do not have access to off road parking, not sure on the legal side if the car is allowed to be parked on the road or not. 14/05/22 on the 30/04/22 finally spoke to a repairer who asked for images of the damage, sent in everything they asked for straight away and no reply since, also no reply regarding the vehicle having no mot. 24/05/22 No contact from Stone acre (insurance repairer) since they acknowledged the info requested on the 03/05/22. 03/06/22 No contact from Stone acre (insurance repairer) tried contacting them, no answer, and no call back to voicemails. 09/06/22 Finally got through to Stone acre who are saying that they are waiting for 1st central to authorise the repair. Phoned 1st central who are saying it has already been authorised, I’ve asked if they can send it again and confirm via email to me that this has been done, was told this is not possible (to send a email to me) And so it continues. 14/06/2022 Rang Stone acre again today and been told it still has not been authorised, rang 1st central again and got the same robotic response that they will deal with it and no senior member of staff is available to speak too. 24/06/2022 On the 20/06/22 got a letter saying the accident is not my fault and there recovery team will chase the other party (6 months later) and that I will get a call in 2 days to arrange repairs, me still being optimistic thought great, finally some progress, 4 days later and still no call. Also offered more compensation which I refused but they still processed. 07/07/22 Like to add that they keep giving small amounts of compensation to avoid dealing with the financial Ombudsman, will need to raise it again. 11/07/22 Rang them last week to complain about the vehicle category I’ve been allocated and without being told I was transferred to enterprise rental who also did not know who he was talking too, rang again today to chase regarding repairs, stone acre not answering and as always 1st central have no clue. Rang again today to get similar size vehicle to my X5, got told due to the age of my vehicle (10 years old) that’s not possible and best they can offer is some basic mid sized suvs, so for over 7 months I’ve owned an X5 I’ve driven it for 7 days, they won’t fix my Car, won’t give me a equivalent vehicle and to top it all off I can’t even release any of my frustration as every time I put little bit of pressure on the agents they start getting irate and speaking to me like I’m in the wrong, apologies are robotic and do not mean anything without results. The car has no mot, the battery has died, looks like an abandoned vehicle covered in 7 months of rubbish.

“Auto renewed my policy at 200%! ”

written by MaffBell on 22/06/2022

Auto renewed my policy at 200%! Because they had sent an email ( that I hadn’t received ) they considered the new policy legally binding. They charged me £70 to cancel it. I told the rep if they waved the £70, I’d happily deal with them again, I’d get a quote from the right there and then! But the taking the £70 from me meant more to them than my business. Unscrupulous, avoid

Asked by Deborahgw67 on 24th February 2020 Report this content
Does anyone know how to get the CEO's email address for 1st Central Insurance?

Asked by Christinebidwell on 10th October 2016 Report this content
My son received a letter as he missed a payment. The letter said to pay by the 8/10, we paid on the 7/10 and the insurance was cancelled on 6/10 which was on another letter we hadn't received. He didn't check his emails as he had lost his phone. Spoke to an advisor who said if we paid more money today you could reinstate the policy and refund us what we paid on the 7/10. I can't understand why we would need to do that as they already have our money and why send 2 letters out with different dates on obviously we only have their word on this. What should we do?

Asked by Fikung on 8th October 2016 Report this content
I'm a new driver and had been with 1st central 4 months and I was rear ended, at no fault off my own, when ringing them to make the claim I was told there is a 21 day period if the 3rd party doesn't accept fault in the 21 days or says he wasn't there etc that it will then be flip to I'm making a claim on my account so I lose my no claims bonus, I don't see how this is right! What should I do?

Report this content Mebs Written on: 15/10/2016
1st central looks more like a sham insurance, have you ever read any decent feed back about this company, it is a fact you cant cancel your insurance because it takes them over two years to close a case, it is a fact a body shop can repair a minor incident in a rear hit car for a 250 pounds, but 1st central can only do it for 1,250 pounds, so they will try to write off your car, snd rip you off aggressively.
Asked by Ellie1991 on 25th August 2015 Report this content
What's 1st Central Car Insurance terms and conditions when it comes to having a c-section? Is it okay to drive if your doctor gives the go ahead or do they like you to wait the full 6 weeks?

Asked by bevn65 on 14th October 2014 Report this content
If my daughter is a named driver on my car insurance and works, what insurance do we need?

Asked by Tarass on 25th September 2014 Report this content
I am customer of theirs for almost 2 years. Now I want sell my car and buy another one. What I have to do? I checked the price on the Gocompare website and there it says I will pay £90 per month for a new car. At this moment I pay £95. So how does it work if I buy a new car?  Thanks.

Asked by uldis30 on 25th September 2014 Report this content
If I sell my car, and buy another car, will my insurance be cheaper?

Report this content sabrecom Written on: 15/10/2014
check out the insurance group the car is in before you buy the car, it will save you a headache when it comes to get insurance, the lower the insurance group the cheaper the insurance cost
Asked by VaidasB on 23rd September 2014 Report this content
Can I use somebody's else account to pay for my car insurance?

Report this content sabrecom Written on: 15/10/2014
yes as long as it is with their permission, lol
Asked by emcarvalho on 20th August 2014 Report this content
Help, does anyone know how I can complain about how a claim is being dealt with? My father had an accident in Portugal over 3 weeks ago and is still waiting for a decision to be made. Luckily their trip was for 4 weeks and have been able to stay there but now its coming up to their return date and 1st Central have not been helpful at all. Firstly no one in their call centre knew the process how to take or deal with a claim for a accident abroad, then they forgot to send the report to their international contacts so an inspection of the vehicle could be done. Now an inspection has been done (after I chased and got them to send the report), they said it will take another 15 days for them to get the report. The damage is superficial and not mechanical and the garage said they could do a make safe repair for 150 euros so the car can be driven to UK (meaning the whole family can come home) but 1st central are yet to respond if they will authorise this. Any advise would be great.

Answers (2)
Report this content Dissilusioned Written on: 21/08/2014
Hello, I too had a diabolical experience with 1st Central, again over something very minor and very simple (see my extensive post here!) Unfortunately for you and I the insurance sector as a whole has adopted a philosophy of `roll over and pay out`.. Simple and inexpensive for them, and the opposite for us! To your point.. In my experience this is the only way to get them moving.. Find out from 1st Central who holds the most senior position within the department, then email(not phone)them personally to say that you are no longer going to tolerate their incompetence and request that they send you (within 48hrs)a full written report itemising their investigations as you are going to circumvent 1st Centrals sad efforts and take the matter to court yourself, and with immediate effect. In my case the matter was then settled within 72hours, whereas the previous five months had led nowhere. Set the alarm for them and wake them up! Hope it works for you as it did for me. Also while it springs to mind, if the accident was not your Fathers fault, demand a written confirmation that his no claims will remain unaffected. They`ll try that one on too under the pretense of `costs` etc.. Best of luck.
Report this content sabrecom Written on: 15/10/2014
the ombudsman is a waste of space and not fit for purpose, 4 years on still having problems will churchhill even with CCTV evidence they will simply find any excuse to not pay you because they know you can't do anything, we need a serious change in the law