Sony MZ-N505 Reviews

Sony MZ-N505
3.3
  • Sound Quality

Summary

Recordable
Mdlp

Optical Cable Included: No
Digital Link Cable: Without Digital Link Cable
Other
UPC: 027242591639

“Old technology, Sony has closed support site as of...”

written by Jle1953 on 04/10/2008

Old technology, Sony has closed support site as of 3/2008. Says you can now use with any mp3...but it crashes you system or just stalls. Sony messed up another potentially great player/recorder...again!

“Why market the Sony MZ-N505 to people who need to do...”

written by on 25/01/2008

Why market the Sony MZ-N505 to people who need to do interviews and then make it impossible to extract the interview. I can't transfer the recording to the computer to edit!

“would be happy if the N505 would do what the salesman...”

written by brian williamson on 04/06/2007

would be happy if the N505 would do what the salesman said I could do with it.

“This Sony MZN505 was my 5th portable mini disc player...”

written by jupiterfuton on 04/05/2004

This Sony MZN505 was my 5th portable mini disc player from sony. They've all been great but sadly 1 got stolen and the other 2 i had to sell to friends because i needed the money! But i have bought this one twice now. (My brother stole the other one) Whilst looking for a cheap MD to take on holiday I found this one. The answer to my dreams. I recommend this to anyone that dosn't really know what there doing with mod cons. It real simple. And it has great sound and the volume goes to a deafening sound. Comes with carrier as well! BUY BUY BUY!

“Overall the Sony MZ-N505 is a good portable mini disk...”

written by claudz on 04/12/2003

Overall the Sony MZ-N505 is a good portable mini disk player. The only bad thing is that it does not have a screen on the controller and recording is difficult. Other than that the sound quility is 8/10 and it can hold a lot of music.

“I love sony products, i really do. I've been tempted...”

written by mute509 on 26/10/2003

I love sony products, i really do. I've been tempted into buying this Sony MZN505 recording device, but, now i'm afraid that i'll have to return it. My main gripe about the minidisc is the format it uses the ATRAC3 format, is a proprietary format....sure it's small, sounds great but still there is a brighter future for hard drive style devices since they can record on higher bit rates and also permanent storage is becoming larger than we've ever imagined and even cheaper... i'm sure that once apple's ipod goes down in price, has a longer battery life and includes more recording options (line in, optical, etc.) it will make the minidisc virtually obsolete...also apple has a better idea of protecting copyrights... rather than make the user *that's you and I* frusterated over flawed software that will only let you copy your own legitamate CD's to minidisc 3 times...it doesn't even MATTER since unless you retain your playlist in the software there is no way to check it out back to your computer.... the idea of the music drive for sony's "sonicstage" software is flawed because it ends up denying you rights to your own recordings, this is extremely frusterating because you then have to play your recording through the optical line out, and record this through your line in on your soundcard...doing this in real time is a pain, as well this takes a LOT of time. I think if anything, users have less respect for copyrights when they can't even use the software in the fashion intended. I refuse to pay $220 CDN for a device that will only allow me to record copies of cd's that i already own. oh and did i mention that it is slow? apple's firewire is superior to the USB format, even it's later format USB 2.0.... the bottom line is... anyone with sense will wait a year for the ipod to dominate the competition by that time there will probably be (80, 100GB harddrives which means over 8,000 songs), extend the battery life most likely to 30 hours by the end of 2004, and do away with proprietary formats and companies like sony that don't understand how to make a product that is accessible. There is a reason that this didn't fly in the early 90's.. it was too expensive... and there is a reason it doesn't fly now... it's just not the most advanced item anymore..

246759_Jazzbass's Response to mute509's Review

Written on: 12/06/2006

M.D CAN BE GREAT BUT I HOPE SOMEONE FROM SONY READS THIS PAGE, I HAVE ALWAYS IN THE PAST, BROUGHT SONY PRODUCTS WITHOUT ANY SECOND THOUGHTS BUT THEN THE 520 RECORDER AND THE TOTALLY USELESS SOFTWARE HAS LOST A LIFE LONG CUSTOMER. I WOULD EVEN TRADE IT BACK FOR I SIMPLE MACHINE MR SONY.
THIS ONE HAS LOST ME IT IS 100 PERCENT THE MOST AWKWARD THING TO USE EVEN SIMPLE PLAYING DISKS IS A TASK WHY?

“Bought first sunday after XMAS 2002 enjoyed care free...”

written by Dave. on 10/04/2003

Bought first sunday after XMAS 2002 enjoyed care free listening ever since and even got the software to work first time on two different PCs which some people have trouble with, yes a bit more help would have been nice for those less computer literate but its ok.

There is no LCD screen remote on the remote but to be honest I dont miss that I use when out walking to uni etc. Can skip tracks with out needing a screen to tell me what it is!

Nice and compact fits neatly in to a pocket. Tend to listen to tracks on LP2, quality is fine and the extra space is excellent for compilations.

The NETMD function was one of the main reasons for purchasing this particular player I have a psion wavefinder for DAB and record mp3 files of stuff can now put it on to MD along with other mp3 downloads and fit loads onto 1 MD much better than a seperate mp3 player which I have always been relunctant to buy due to lack of memory, this is the best of both worlds.

The jog protection seems excellent am yet to hear a skip when jogging cycling even when i knocked it off a table it kept going!

Best part of all was the price £135 from Richer Sounds in Bournemouth when the Argos catlogue had it @ £180! although I was lucky last one in the shop that had been reserved but wasn't taken (thanku to whoever that was!) Not sure if it might be difficult to buy now as models change but if you can buy it but guess any sony MD my brother has a normal player thats a couple of years old thats still good. BUY IT! I AM A VERY SATISFIED CUSTOMER

“Has a good sound but the software only allows 3...”

written by jeff. on 15/03/2003

Has a good sound but the software only allows 3 downloads. Has anyone found a way around the three download without re-downloading to my PC hard drive?

“This minidisc player is terrific. I bought mine a few...”

written by Carson. on 11/03/2003

This minidisc player is terrific. I bought mine a few days before christmas, and since then it has worker great. Sound quality is excellent. The only problem is that a few weeks ago, whenever i tried to record new songs onto my minisdisc and it keeps on erasing all of the songs on the disc and i cannot listen to it. If anyone has a solution please contact me. thanks.

“I bought this MD player very recently on Boxing Day,...”

written by Tru_Knyte. on 28/12/2002

I bought this MD player very recently on Boxing Day, and have yet to be disappointed with it. The sound quality never ceases to amaze, but what I find most remarkable about it is it's ability to hold so many songs! The average mp3 player can only hold about 20 songs tops, but my N505 can hold double that! Also, being able to group my songs is awesome. It makes things so much easier to scroll through, and is very convienient. It's like carrying 3-4 cds in one. Plus, the size of it makes the N505 very easy to carry around. I tested the Anti-shock on it with a friend, and found even if I shook it very hard, it still didn't skip!Another good thing about this is it's long battery life. I've already listened to it for about 3-4 hours, and yet I still have a full battery! The only cons that I have with the MD player is the software and earphones it comes with. The software is a bit confusing to use at first, and takes awhile to get used to all of the functions. But the worst thing is the headphones. They provide decent sound, but are uncomfortable to move in and out of your ear. So far I have not bought new headphones, but I plan to when I get the money. All in all this is a good player, and I would recommend it to anyone!

“The Sony Mz-N505 is perfect in everyway apart from the...”

written by chris butcher. on 25/12/2002

The Sony Mz-N505 is perfect in everyway apart from the fact that the softare is not working, it only tranfers (checks out MD) the songs to only 8% and stops! If anyone has any advice on how to solve this please email me at [email protected]

“Being my first mini disc purchase, I am very happy...”

written by amg895jmg. on 23/12/2002

Being my first mini disc purchase, I am very happy with my selection. I was looking for a portable unit with a large capicity. I have a Rio player, but the lack of storage and the cost of memory cards, made me unsure about buying another mp3 player. I heard and read about the mini disc years ago, I did not notice them until I started looking for a new unit. I like the price, portability and storage that the Sony unit has to offer. I have owned Sony equipment before and I know the unit is well built.

“The Sony MZ-N505 is a fine beast of a minidisc player. ”

written by Darren Billups. on 17/08/2002

The Sony MZ-N505 is a fine beast of a minidisc player.

I purchased this for £142 via the internet and i don't regret it. The sound is very good even in LP4 mode and the machine is very small (much smaller than my last minidisc player/recorder purchased 5 years ago) and will easily fit it my pocket. It has an incredible amount of functions for something so small and comes with all the leads you could possibly need.

My only negative is that the software that comes on the CD is not easy to install on a PC. It took me a few attempts to get it right and I'm quite knowledgeable about IT.

All in all though i do strongly recommend this player.