MCi Tours Reviews - www.mcitours.com

MCi Tours www.mcitours.com - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for MCi Tours www.mcitours.com

MCi Tours www.mcitours.com

“New Zealand North & South Island Tour 2017”

Written on: 24/03/2017 by Revvin_Kev (1 review written)

I have recently returned from a one in a lifetime just over three week tour of New Zealand with MCI Tours. Whilst expensive you can't really put a price on this type of tour which lived up to all expectations. The itinerary was well planned and after 25 years of experience they have cherry picked the very best roads, hotels, views, tourist attractions, restaurants and excursions should you decide to participate in them, (which you should). It's no secret they are extremely passionate about… Read Full Review

“Unaccompanied tour - overpriced and no support - DIY”

Written on: 19/07/2016 by JSPF (1 review written)

This is a negative review of a self-guided itinerary for Norway. The MCI guided group tours (which I have not done) all get excellent reviews. The positives - helpful pre-tour advice, well-organised, swift responses to questions. The negatives - massively over-priced, no flexibility, completely unhelpful once tour underway. Two of us had a 10 day, self-guided tour of Norway for which we paid an eye-watering £2500 each - but believing Norway to be expensive and anticipating the trip of a… Read Full Review

Mcitours's Response to JSPF's Review

Written on: 03/10/2016

Hmmm. Pretty clear that weather spoiled what would otherwise have been a well planned itinerary. Norway IS a difficuklt destination to plan on your own. Fjord crossings must be worked into the tour plan and it simply is not possible to uplift arrangements half way through when the hotels have all been prepaid. Please do NOT believe the profit margin quoted. Small tours do not benefit from any group discount structure. And p;laese note that maekls are included for the simple reason that eating out in Norway is disproportionately expensive. As are the ferries in peak season - and to get there and back you will need FOUR ferry crossings.
The touring season in Norway is limited to 16 weeks due to snow. As a result all hotels are expensive.
Unlucky with the weather - shame. But we really do not deserve this kind of adverse commentary...

Written on: 03/10/2016

1) Two separate hotels tried to bill us before the staff understood the voucher system. The bills were approximately £100/night per person for half board. We achieved similar prices when we had to find our own for the last 5 days of our tour so that would seem to be a typical cost. Even assuming you paid a similar amount despite booking weeks in advance and clearly accepting a non-refundable, non-transferable agreement (which presumably nets you at least some discount) the cost to you for our tour was at most £1000 each. We paid £2500. Not including bike hire.

2) The itinerary didn't cover the cost of any ferry crossings, we paid for them all ourselves so your suggestion that their expense was borne by yourselves is misleading.

3) Additionally all the ferry crossings taken sailed frequently throughout the day. Again, due to weather, we diverged from the planned itinerary on several occasions and still had no problems finding our own way so I disagree, coordinating with ferries for our tour was pretty straightforward.

3) MCi appears to have even added a charge to the motorbike hire. When my friend took the motorbike back and enquired about rates it would have been cheaper for her to hire direct rather than through yourselves.

4) The gist of my complaint above is not that you made a profit - service and expertise deserve their reward. Sadly on this occasion MCi was lacking in both. For the large sums we were charged the service offered fell well below the standards we expected. Given your reputation; given the predictably unpredictable weather; surely an element of flexibility and a willingness to help rather than a "You'll have to sort yourselves out." were reasonable expectations? I believe you can't have value, good service and quality but MCi completely and utterly failed to provide any of those.

Mcitours's reply to Jspf's Comment

Written on: 09/11/2016

This really is only half the story...
Difficult client has us up hill and down dale making arrangements that he then wants to discard half way through.
Wants the bike then doesn't want the bike.
Expects us to ditch contractual commitments when the weather turns bad.
Then wants routes to places we have never visited.on roads that we have never ridden ourselves.
Sorry but that is not the way it works.
We advertise a pre-prepared package based on our experiences in Norway that represents good value until you start to unpick the various components.
Or change your mind.
Over and over again.
We utterly reject the allegation of overpricing.
We spent hours with this chap.
Just a pity it rained!

Written on: 17/11/2016

"Just a pity it rained."

If anything shows how completely you've missed my entire point that is it. This is the North Atlantic - rain is not a pity, it's a given. WE were properly prepared with appropriate wet-weather clothing and spares galore but no helmet in the world lets you look through clouds and rain at the landscapes you've travelled a couple of thousand miles and paid a substantial amount of money to see. And riding over passes in rain at 6 deg C was challenging and unpleasant even with my Rukka suit and heated grips let alone on the inadequate naked bike you hired for my companion. Great attention to detail, thanks. The whole point of a trip like this is to spend the daylight hours riding through stunning scenery. It is not to merely survive from bland chain hotel to bland chain hotel. The real "pity" in all of this is actually paying someone to organise a motorbike tour that cannot take account of such predicatable conditions. And don't add insult to injury with "That is not the way it works." That's the mantra of the uncaring and disinterested. Because if we'd done it "the way it works" with your utterly rigid itinerary we'd have had three more days of miserable riding instead of three days of great riding through stunning scenery we could actually see! Instead you would far rather your customer simply subvert their dream holiday to your administrative convenience and cost-cutting contracts. Actually I suggest you need to change the way YOU work to make the experience more flexible and accommodating.

For anyone still reading I shan't bother to defend myself against the somewhat wild accusations from MCIs post. Needless to say they are significant exagerrations with a small basis in fact. I have no vested interest in slagging MCI off except to save others from a similar experience. They on the other hand obviously have a vested interest in making you believe I am a deranged lunatic with a significant personality disorder and an axe to grind. Poetic licence excepted I wish them no ill-will, merely that they could provide a level of service commensurate with the charges not a "one-size-fits-all" solution.

I completely stand by my assertion that Norway is actually an easy destination to tackle alone - everyone speaks superb english (the only person I encountered who didn't was an immigrant) the scenery is spectacular, the infrastructure is simple and efficient and the costs of going it alone (and doing it better than the MCI offerings) are comfortably less than half of the MCI costs. If anyone doesn't want to spend a few hours on th/e internet or with a map and guide book planning a trip and another hour or two booking accommodation then by all means pay an extra £1500 and have someone suggest a perfectly pleasant itinerary and book it all for you. Just pray it doesn't rain.

Written on: 17/11/2016

"Just a pity it rained."

Mcitours's reply to Jspf's Comment

Written on: 22/11/2016

To Moderator of site: You appear to have put this in twice.
To JSPF: At no point have I accused you of being a deranged lunatic with a personality disorder.
To World at Large : For a more accurate picture read the unsolicited testimonials on our website mcitours.com

Eb-Bb's reply to Jspf's Comment

Written on: 01/11/2019

Really sorry to read of your experience and ensuing rude and defensive responses from Mr Myers. Sadly our experience of this company completely backs up what you’ve written. Our review will follow in due course but I think you’ll find all the positive reviews for this company pre date Mr Myers purchase.

Revvin_Kev's Response to JSPF's Review

Written on: 24/03/2017

To add balance to this review, myself and a friend booked the self guided tour of Norway and Arctic Circle back in July 2014. Our experience was the total opposite to the one posted here. At £2800 it's not a cheap tour and we even used our own motorcycles taking the Ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg before it was cut, then the Hirtshals to Kristiansand crossing over to the Southern tip of Norway. Over the course of two weeks, we headed North upto the Arctic Circle via Voss, the beautiful Fjord of Geiranger, Molde & the fantastic Atlantic Highway, Trondheim, Mo-I-Rana & Bodo. The hotels were all of a good standard and most of the rooms had stunning views. It has to be said the weather can make all the difference to a motorcycle tour and we were very very fortunate as during the whole two weeks we only experienced approx. 2.5 Hrs of rain! We had expected cool temperatures and mostly damp or wet conditions but the weather was unusually hot and sunny, typically in the high 20C's and low 30C's the whole time. The whole experience was absolutely amazing, scenery, roads, food and Norwegian people. The tour was organised and supported by MCI who was very helpful and did a great job or organising everything so the tour went without a single hitch. I would certainly book another self guided tour with MCI so long as she is taking care of the organising. Norway is one of the best destinations to tour on a motorcycle, if you are lucky with the weather as we were, you won't be disappointed.

Read 8 Comments

“'Top Notch' Tours!”

Written on: 02/04/2015 by yzMiddleton228 (1 review written)

I experienced touring with MCI in both 2013 to Austria, and Greece in 2014, and as a consequence, can't wait for the weeks to countdown to our planned tour this year to Corsica and Sardinia in May. Having toured various places around the world, Route 66, Death Valley, Flörida, Italy, Scotland, New Zealand, France and Spain, amongst many others, it's fair to say that the tours organised by them rank alongside the very best, with no request seemingly beyond possible, whether it's a change of… Read Full Review

“Noth by North West Tour USA”

Written on: 22/07/2013 by Fitzy99 (1 review written)

I have just been on the most fantastic tour of my life with MCi Tours. Alastair and Fionna are really good company and could not do enough to make sure that all of the group really enjoyed their holiday. 3000 miles of bliss and awesome scenery riding a BMW from Denver through Yellowstone National Park, Mt Rainier National Park, Crazy Horse Monument, Sturgis, Badlands, the four Presidents at Mount Rushmore - you name it we did it all. Cannot speak highly enough of the slick and professional… Read Full Review

“2 Tours ith MCi”

Written on: 31/12/2012 by MikeRn (3 reviews written)

I first toured with MCi in 2011 when we went down to Italy. What a fantastic tour that was, made even better by the company. The whole holiday experience was first class, not just the riding. Many friends were made that I keep in contact with and have toured with again. I like the fact that full routes are given long before departure so that you can ride with the large group, or go your own way at your own pace with a smaller group (just let Alister know beforehand). Earlier this year 2012 I… Read Full Review

“A good company to touring with... Only if you're...”

Written on: 10/05/2012

Not a bad company to tour with and good accommodation and food. Only thing that I didn't quite like is the fact that I was riding in a group of much more experienced bikers on larger bikes. I had booked a tour that specialised in touring in Europe for first timers which meant the following for me... 1. Learning to ride my cruiser at 80MPH + on the motorway instead of my usual 65-70mph. 2. Learning to quickly corner on on very tight bends (we all know that cruisers are not very good at doing… Read Full Review

Shabba12's Comment

Written on: 11/05/2012

Additional notes.. any tour advertised as a beginner tour to Europe is a.....
BEGINNERS TOUR (: (NOT)

Written on: 22/11/2012

It was actually billed as a training tour...

Written on: 22/11/2012

It was actually billed as a training tour...

Written on: 05/02/2013

(Name removed) is a Police Officer and Bikesafe trainer and a man with huge tolerance towards the public. He is very good at what he does. But you have to be receptive to the messages you are being given and I really don't think it helped when you called him an (removed) in front of all the other members of the group...

Written on: 22/11/2012

We do talk to people (especially if they have cruising bikes) but there is often a huge gap between perception and reality. The tour was accompanied by THREE staff bikes - tour leader plus TWO professionally accredited trainers. As tour leader I actually took the three cruisers myself on a more direct route back to Dover when it became clear that none of them were prepared to ride at motorway speeds. But I don't get any credit for that here do I? And then when two of the cruising chaps refused to travel as slowly as the one lady who was clearly struggling then I really could not win. We learned from the experience too. There will be no more training tours with MCi although cruisers, Harleys and those who are happy to self navigate at slower speeds are ALWAYS welcome.

Shabba12's Comment

Written on: 03/02/2013

Motorway speeds in Europe or the UK ? All of a sudden it sounds like someone is a struggling motorcyclist, just because they don't/or are not used to, riding at speeds of over 80MPH, which is obviously illegal in their country of origin.Have you seen my driving licence ? It's gained 3 points in 8 years, owing to a speeding fine whilst riding a motorcycle, and 'not' whilst in the car that I drive 30,000 miles a year in.

Do people 'have' to be screamed at, insulted and berated, whilst they are on holiday !! Surely there is a more reasonable solution to the situation of the rider, that would prefer to ride at their own pace ?

Dt1001's Comment

Written on: 11/01/2015

You haven't really done MCI tours any good with this ( and the above ) overly defensive attitude. The outcome you describe isn't really "learning" from it is it ? I was looking forward to booking a tour with MCI but having read this am less sure I will do so.

Written on: 07/11/2015

Just read the other reviews for a fairer picture of who we are and what we do. And yes, I was more than put out by what I thought was unfair criticism. I would much rather be perceived as defensive rather than dismissive. We really do try our best and after 25 years I think our record does actually speak for itself. If you did not come along DT how can you make an assessment?

Read 8 Comments

“MCi Tours - Absolutely fantastic! We have used MCi to...”

Written on: 26/08/2010

MCi Tours - Absolutely fantastic! We have used MCi to tour Europe twice a year for the past 4 years, and could not recommend highly enough. Alastair and Fionna are perfect hosts, with nothing being too much trouble and there when and if you need them, whatever the problem. Ride with the group or split off with one or two others. Hotels are good quality 3-4* with mostly English speaking staff. The tour pack sent out before the tour gives all the routes to get you to your destination, hotel… Read Full Review