Stronghold/Revolution Reviews

2.4

Stronghold/Revolution - Ask a question now

“Dangerous ”

written by CodySmith343 on 31/01/2022

This is a horrible product. Will never touch it again. My 8 year healthy cat started having what could only be described as a mini fit 10 minutes after application. And then follow couldn't stand properly, walk up the stairs and was not the same for the next few days. Very scary. I have since read many similar reviews.

“My cat died”

written by 370Morrison on 05/01/2022

My cat has had this before from the vets we picked up a new prescription and applied it to her as before 5 minutes later she was dead she was a healthy cat no problems only thing we did notice is the box was open unsealed have we a cause for complaint

“Will never use again!”

written by PaulChelsky307450 on 20/07/2019

Our elderly cat was still very active and was running across the garden and climbing fences before we administered the Stronghold treatment. The next morning she was a totally different cat, and for the next four days she wouldn't eat or drink, was listless and crawled into a dark corner to hide. We took her to the vets and found that her kidneys had been so traumatized that they were beyond repair and we had to have her put to sleep. After researching it afterwards we discovered that there is a lower dosage (15ml) which should have been prescribed as our cat was very underweight for the dosage we were given (45ml). In effect our cat was poisoned by this higher dose treatment and in our opinion the toxicity of this product should never be underestimated and you should think twice before administering it to an elderly cat.

Cuddlecoocoo's Response to PaulChelsky307450's Review

Written on: 15/08/2019

SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR CAT. I HOPE YOU TOOK THEM TO COURT SO IT WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO SOMEONE ELSES CAT. YOU GOT UP TO TWO YEARS TO DECIDE. I KNOW IT'S HARD AND IT WOULDN'T BRING UR FUURR BABY BACK. THEY NEED TO BE RECOGNIZED

“Buy from your VET”

written by Reese311 on 11/08/2017

Some of these companies online have BOOTLEGGED products. You can tell as soon as you open the tube. The real revolution has a strong smell....be very careful. You may read some good reviews but that means nothing they send out a good product to some and bootlegged to others. Be very careful

“So Worried about our puppy”

written by Pamiller on 25/01/2017

We put Stronghold (purple - Selamectin 30 mg) flea medication on our puppy for the first time a few days ago. It appears that she has had an allergic reaction and at this point we hope she will recover. She is licking herself, appears itchy and very irritated (can't settle and get comfortable). She has vomited a bit is not eating or drinking and is not herself in any way. We have been to the vet and they gave her some intravenous fluids. She was previously on Advantage flea medication with no reaction. However, it was not available when I ordered the current batch of flea medication, so I assumed Stronghold would be just as good. Now I am so worried about her. Wondering if anyone else has had a reaction like this? WE have since noticed the box also says "To be supplied only on veterinary prescription," which we did not have. We ordered it online and a prescription was not required.

Knaz216's Response to Pamiller's Review

Written on: 09/08/2017

I am telling you this: Some of these products are bootlegged. I have been screwed many times.

“Devastated ”

written by gjMiddleton376 on 01/09/2016

I am very upset! When I first purchased this product I could not fault it at all. It clear all the fleas on my cat And kept them at bay. It really was a dream come true. since buying it again from my vet, it has marked my cat! Leaving him with a ball spot!! The first time I really wasn't sure it was the stronghold, I blamed my partner! I thought he may have drop a cigarette on him, but he assure me he didn't. I call an emergency vet the said to just wait until my vet was open. So I did, I took him in they gave me a treatment for dogs called isaderm and the hair grew back much much darker than ordinary hair, (he's a ragdoll X Siberian) they also said to me that this would be something more common in cheaper products like Bob martin. So it's been maybe two months, I re used the stronghold, as my cat goes out side a little bit I just wanted to make sure he doesn't get any fleas. Guess what!! He has another bald spot again. So I know it's definitely stronghold. This must be a bad batch but I have immediately put on the cream but I wanted to warn other people that this might happen to there cat. I am calling the vet in the morning. Just to let people know. Try advantage in stead or herbal. I also heard put garlic pills helps keep fleas away.

Fmcm's Comment

Written on: 30/07/2017

I've just used Stronghold on my cats, I wasn't sure whether one reacted last time or not as he had a round bald spot but I wasn't sure if he had pulled fur out ( although hard to reach). Put Stronghold on my cats Friday, admittedly only one out of four has reacted but never again. He has round bald patch and the skin is burnt and red in patches, it looks very sore. I've just rung the vets who couldn't advise over the phone hence looking on line for any advice on how to treat.

“What Happened?”

written by Guest15600 on 03/05/2016

We've been longtime Revolution fans for our cats. And it has been very effective, sometimes only requiring treatment every 2 mos. We've been buying Stronghold for the last year and a half because of better pricing. This last batch is not doing the job at all! It's been 2 wks since the last application and all four cats are crawling with fleas. I cannot believe that the fleas have suddenly developed immunity. I suspect that something is not right with the last batch. That's it for us. We've switched to something else. Maybe it wasn't such a good deal after all.

“Waste of Money”

written by Damaris500 on 12/02/2016

Don't bother. I was sold this by our vet. Expensive and didn't work on my cat. I went to my local pet shop and bought Johnsons 4Fleas tablets, which were cheap and worked brilliantly.

“Stronghold is excellent”

written by Beachy01752 on 24/11/2015

I have used this product on 3 dogs and it is really good. My dogs run in fields and streams and are in contact where foxes roam . One got foxes mange prior to using stronghold - but since switching has not had any problems. Won't use anything else.

“My dog is miserable bc of it”

written by RedPandaPop on 05/10/2015

My small terrier mix has a severe reaction to flea bites. I had used Revolution on him previously a few years back and remembered that other brands didn't work for him so I ordered Stronghold aka Revolution. A day after application he vommited, had diarrhea and was lethargic. Thankfully that subsided, however, it's been 2 months since he was dosed and his skin is now flaking off in clumps!!! It's so bad and he is so miserable and itchy. I have spent nearly $200 in trying shampoo's and conditioners to help, with little results. He's itching more now than he was even with the fleas! His skin is literally peeling in patches in places, and the flaking is so bad on his back that he goes nuts if you pet his back. I do NOT recommend this at ALL. It didn't even work to rid the fleas. Two weeks after dosing the fleas were still on him. This is poison, do not use.

Conniekeeton's Response to RedPandaPop's Review

Written on: 04/11/2015

I hope that your dog has recovered. I would suggest that instead of using a flea med on him, to bath him once a month in a small amount of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Lather, wait a few minutes, rinse well. Don't get it near his eyes. This kills ALL insects on contact and is not poison. ONLY BLUE COLOR DAWN original works. Rescue organizations use it on dogs, cats, birds and reptiles. No need for a flea medication. Good luck. I feel so badly for your baby.

“Frightening reaction”

written by Devand238 on 21/04/2015

My small dog, 4 kg, is sensitive to flea and tick medicines, usually acting somewhat listless the next day. I keep hoping to find one that is easier on him. But Stronghold was far, far worse, he began vomiting and having diarrhea every 2 to 3 hours, starting 6 hours after application, and lasting for nearly two days straight. He had to be seen by a vet. The diarrhea lasted 3 days, with only bloody drops on the second day. I will never use Stronghold again.

“Fatal bad product ”

written by on 14/08/2014

I am disgusted to find after using stronghold on my cat that this product causes such bad reactions and can be fatal. My cat has had an allergic reaction and is at the vets overnight having this flushed out. I pray to god she is ok but I know others have not been so lucky. How can people sell this product and not investigate the fatalities it has caused? I don't know why it is highly recommended I would not recommend to anyone and I certainly will NEVER use this again! Can anyone put my mind at ease? It's only been 12 hours and my cat was still eating, drinking, playing etc. She showed signs of allergic reaction but not severe. She is in now having treatment as she was breathing quite rapidly. Do you think she will be ok? I am quite vigilant and as soon as I see anything wrong I'm straight to the vets

Law369's Comment

Written on: 16/08/2014

Really sorry to hear that and I hope she is ok. I gave my cats this last week and one has become ill with diaahroea and was initially sick and off food etc. Our dog gets this with stronghold so I thought it would pass. He is now eating and seems brighter but still isnt 100% and has diaarohea im really unsure as to whether to take him to the vets or not (I obviously will if he still has diaahroea by monday)

“Waste of money! Doesn't work!! ”

written by hqWelch49 on 03/08/2014

This is a complete waste of money! I used this product on my dogs I might as well have put water on the back of their necks! Advocate is the only product I have found that works.

“be aware ”

written by BrandenTurner355 on 25/06/2014

used on my 2 year old cat, she started to fit after an hour, had a stroke and died, she was a very healthy cat but reacted to this. BE AWARE

Naturegirl39's Comment

Written on: 09/07/2014

So sorry for you. I have just read this as I am searching the web for other accounts of cats having bad reactions to Stronghold. We had one of our cats treated with this for the first time 6 weeks ago- he started to shake a few hours later. He is ok most of the time, but starts to tremble /have tremors every night. We are about to take him to the vets today to have him checked out. I hope this will not have a permanent affect on him.
So sorry for your loss. Why do vets not warn of possible adverse reactions?

“Fleas are finally gone!”

written by catlver on 23/06/2014

We took in a stray cat over a year ago and never checked it for fleas, by the time we spotted the fleas they were everywhere and we had awful trouble getting rid of them, an absolute nightmare! They had spread to our other cat and our dog too. The vet gave us stronghold revolution for the two cats and the dog, it works by entering the bloodstream which I didn't much like but it did work, the fleas jump on and bite the cat or dog and they die off as the stronghold in the cats blood poisons them, it takes a while to work as you have to wait for the fleas to bite the cat. Don't give up if you still see them as they might have just jumped on the cat, it took 3 doses of treatment over 3 months to kill all the fleas, the reason being the treatment wears off after 3 weeks and if there are still fleas lying around the house they will lay more eggs and we needed another dose after the three weeks to kill those few that were left. The trick is not to wait longer than a month for the second dose if you need it as the fleas will lay hundreds more eggs between treatments. We also brushed them with a flea comb twice a day, and put the fleas in water to drown them, (horrible but the only way to get them out of the house) they are now finally all gone! :-)

“Doesn't work for fleas”

written by on 12/01/2014

I used a different product but wanted to try a different product. Stronghold looked good for fleas and many other things so I ordered it online. On the 30th October, I applied Stronghold on my cat for the first time. On the 19th December, I applied Stronghold again, but gave her a bath the next day. So maybe it got washed off. On the 28th December, I found a flea on my cat. On the 30th December, I found another flea so applied Stronghold again. But ever since that day, I have been sighting fleas almost daily. I thought I should wait a few days for the medicine to take effect but it only got worse by day. In the end, I had to order a different product which I used to use but became a bit pricey recently. I bought Stronghold thinking it is good value for everything it is advertised to protect cats from but I ended up wasting my money. There is no way I can tell whether it works for other things but since it doesn't work for fleas, I don't think I will ever buy this product again.

Ljm1010's Comment

Written on: 15/02/2014

I'm confused, Is Stronghold the same as Revolution? If so, Revolution should not applied more than every 30 days or it could be harmful. Does your home need to be treated for a flea infestation? My understanding is even if you see a flea after treatment, they are sterile and will eventually die.

“FANTASTIC - HIGHLY RECCOMMEND!”

written by on 14/10/2013

I have been using this on my 25lb pug for over a year. I have tried all of the flea and tick treatments on the market, and this is the best! It is a little bit pricey, but it works and lasts longer than the other products.

“My cats hair fell out”

written by on 12/05/2013

I mainly used to use Frontline for my cat, without too much of a problem until the vet suggested I try Stronghold as it has a wormer included. So I have used Stronghold since then, probably a couple of years. After reading the reviews on Frontline, I have since realised that my cats hair loss around his collar area is not due to his collar rubbing but due more than likely to Frontline. Anyway, the last time I used Stronghold (and it will be the last time) I applied it at the back of my cats neck as usual (he's never keen but I don't have an alternative) The neck day I saw him scratching the back of his neck with his back leg and a whole patch of fur came flying off in bits, so there is now an area about the size of a 10p where the flea stuff was applied and there is also a couple of little scabs. There is no way on earth I am going to use that stuff again. He has had an upset stomach on numerous occasions since then and I am considering getting in touch with the company to ask them what on earth could cause this. I think these flea treatments are way too strong, I am going to try and find a gentler alternative somehow.

Messyella's Comment

Written on: 18/05/2013

My cat had the same problem with frontline, unfortunately any spot on treatments run the risk of this happening but I have had less of a problem with stronghold

“I've used them all, this is the best on the market.”

written by PebbsLondon on 14/09/2012

I have 3 furfaces, and I believe I have tried every flea treatment on the market. One cat has a serious flea allergy, and this was made worse by fur loss around the neck site area, when applying products such as Frontline, etc. The reason for this I am now told is these products are alcohol based, and for cats with sensitive skin it literally painful. This poor cat has had steroid treatments for the fur loss, and I was desperate. I took him to another vet, who recommended this one. Yes it is pricey, but that is a small price to pay, for the comfort and well being of my animals. A week later, his fur started to grow back, he was not constantly licking and biting himself, and since then he is on the road to recovery. No more injections, no more trips to vets that push the big two flea treatments on you. I have a happy cat back. For the lady who believed her cat was in pain, I say this, cats do not like to have flea treatments applied, its a shock to their system. They get over it within a couple of minutes and being offered a few treats. Better this than them and the house being overrun with those horrible vile little blood sucking fleas.

Jackyfereday's Response to PebbsLondon's Review

Written on: 01/12/2012

Thank you for this review. My cat had a terrible reaction to Frontline, vomiting, frothing at mouth, exceedingly high temperature nearly turned toxic nearly lost her. Vet would not believe it was Frontline which he'd instructed me to put between her toes as he thought she had harvest mite as she'd constantly bit away fur on legs. Think it was a reaction she'd been having to Frontline also wore skin down on neck. Now all fine about to try Stronghold as rec by an ex vet nurse.

Dundeefruitcake's Response to PebbsLondon's Review

Written on: 07/10/2013

Actually cats do not all get over it. Plenty have died. Better to have some fleas around the house than a cat with no fleas and no heartbeat either...

“found flea cure”

written by on 24/04/2012

had serious probs with fleas,me and my cute cat and flat heard terrible things about bob martin flea treatments,people do not touch it dangerous it will kill your cat,so thought go to vet got stronghold 3 pipetes 14 quid put on cat used fles comb nxt day all i found was a few dead suckers at last a cure,been 3 wks still no bloodsuckers cat never scratches,im sure shes smiling i am ,vet said house prob infected reccomended r.i.p fleas a house spray,but let me explain i bought a powerful hoover 2000 watt u need a good vac,first vac everywhere liked u never vaced before then spray 30 cm high in sideway motion settees everywhere cover plants oncfish tanks anything alive keep pets and u out of room for 1hr open windows lot of effort but i tried everything and this has worked not one evil parasite it works and me cat flat well happy ive done this to help all u animal lovers after all animals love u forever so love them.

Asked by EDoherty on 23rd March 2014 Report this content
My cat has an allergy to Frontline because of the alcohol in it, he also has a flea allergy, i thought about using program long term but need an initial adult flea treatment and was wondering if Stronghold contained alcohol???

Thanks for answering this question.

We will email your when your answer is on the site