The Wizard Of Oz, The Lowry Theatre, Salford Quays Reviews

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“The Wizard Of Oz was a very poor production. I'm sure...”

Written on: 10/01/2009 by wrinkled45 (1 review written)

The Wizard Of Oz was a very poor production. I'm sure the story was true to the original etc but the actual show was a nightmare. The worst feature was a dreadful backing track with a hideous high-frequency whine to it which lasted the entire show. We needed earplugs. There was MIMING (miming! In a "professional" show!) to some of the songs and the sound quality was painfully bad. I was gutted. It was like a school production… Read Full Review

“We go to the Lowry every year, around this time of...”

Written on: 30/12/2008 by Anna4AMJ (1 review written)

We go to the Lowry every year, around this time of year. I can say without hesitation that this was the worst production The Lowry have put on.
Was very tempted to leave at the interval but having paid nearly £30 for the ticket, I thought the second half would be an improvement. How wrong I was… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“The Wizard Of Oz at the Lowry was very poor, I have to...”

Written on: 23/12/2008

The Wizard Of Oz at the Lowry was very poor, I have to come to expect better of the Lowry. I could even hear the chatting of the children all around the Lowry. In my opinion I can honestly say that we have been to better amateur productions at Lowther Gardens Lytham.
Unfortnatey we booked early on in the year, don't think we will next year. … Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“This was advertised as a Christmas show, but I suspect...”

Written on: 22/12/2008 by Heapey (1 review written)

This was advertised as a Christmas show, but I suspect the audience may have thought it geared up to that of pantomime. Which is what you expect for something advertised as a Christmas show. So be perpared for no interaction with the audience, and lots of bored children talking during the performance.
The Wizard Of Oz could have been performed spring or summer, but I suspect it's more profitable to call it a "Christmas Show".
On the whole disappointed with the Lowry, certainly will not be… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“I had taken two of my children to see Mary Poppins a...”

Written on: 19/12/2008

I had taken two of my children to see Mary Poppins a few days before, and I did not expect the same breathtaking extravaganza. The Wizard Of Oz at the Lowry was terrible, really terrible. I have seen many plays and shows, of may genres, and this was the worst I have ever had to endure. I was really upset when I got home. PLEASE, do not waste your money. Go to a panto instead, this was one to go down in History. I expected better from the Lowry. The whole quality and proffesionalism of the… Read Full Review

“The energy of Katie Schofield playing Dorothy was...”

Written on: 12/12/2008 by AnnieNomouse (1 review written)

The energy of Katie Schofield playing Dorothy was excellent. However her voice is underdeveloped and unsupported unable to hold the low note and the highs in the anthemic Somewhere over the Rainbow.
Lorna Luft seemed fine as Ms Gulch displaying a wonderful wickedness but seemed less sure of herself as the wicked Witch. Maybe she was thrown by the pantomime boos she recieved. The producers should take her to see an actual panto so she can see what is expected of a villain. But i doubt that will… Read Full Review