The Wizard Of Oz, The Lowry Theatre, Salford Quays Reviews

“we took 20 disabled adults to see The Wizard Of Oz at...”

Written on: 14/01/2009 by KARENROBB (1 review written)

we took 20 disabled adults to see The Wizard Of Oz at The Lowry Theatre and we all had a fabulous afternoon. The staff were brilliant and the panto was out of this world. Well done to all concerned and many thanks for a wonderful afternoon out.

“It was delightful to watch. From the moment the...”

Written on: 13/01/2009 by Maria Kay (1 review written)

It was delightful to watch. From the moment the curtain came up, I was in another world...great to escape the real one for 2.5 hours! It was SO like the film down to really tiny details. The munckins were fantastic - stole the show with "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead" etc, the kids obviously loved what they were doing and it radiated to the audience. The main characters, scarecrow, lion, tin man were so well cast (although some complain not famous enough!) and Katie as Dorothy was amazing to say that she is only 16 remember. Loran of course was so polished.

“The Wizard Of Oz was a very poor production. I'm sure...”

Written on: 10/01/2009 by wrinkled45 (1 review written)

The Wizard Of Oz was a very poor production. I'm sure the story was true to the original etc but the actual show was a nightmare. The worst feature was a dreadful backing track with a hideous high-frequency whine to it which lasted the entire show. We needed earplugs. There was MIMING (miming! In a "professional" show!) to some of the songs and the sound quality was painfully bad. I was gutted. It was like a school production.

“I have read some of the negative comments, maybe...”

Written on: 04/01/2009

I have read some of the negative comments, maybe because we had such brilliant seats we were not distracted by the audience noise. We were sitting on the second row from the front so everything was visible. My grangdaughter aged 5, who had recently watched the film loved every minute of it which is a recommendation when compared with the film. I think it was possibly not suitable for a very young child, the dialogue and Kansas accent possibly was too mature for under 5's.

We went to the matinee performance on the 2nd January 2009

“We go to the Lowry every year, around this time of...”

Written on: 30/12/2008 by Anna4AMJ (1 review written)

We go to the Lowry every year, around this time of year. I can say without hesitation that this was the worst production The Lowry have put on.
Was very tempted to leave at the interval but having paid nearly £30 for the ticket, I thought the second half would be an improvement. How wrong I was.

“After reading some of the reviews on here, we were...”

Written on: 26/12/2008

After reading some of the reviews on here, we were apprehensive about going to see the Xmas Eve production. However, we thought it was fantastic! Very well acted and very true to the film. We left feeling full of the holiday spirit!
Brilliant production

“I took my two children on Christmas eve to The Wizard...”

Written on: 26/12/2008

I took my two children on Christmas eve to The Wizard Of Oz at The Lowry Theatre, Salford Quays, what a way to start off our Christmas. Fantastic is all I can say. We loved every minute of the show and didnt want it to end.
Great show for all ages, well done everyone.

☆☆☆☆☆

“The Wizard Of Oz at the Lowry was very poor, I have to...”

Written on: 23/12/2008

The Wizard Of Oz at the Lowry was very poor, I have to come to expect better of the Lowry. I could even hear the chatting of the children all around the Lowry. In my opinion I can honestly say that we have been to better amateur productions at Lowther Gardens Lytham.
Unfortnatey we booked early on in the year, don't think we will next year.

☆☆☆☆☆

“This was advertised as a Christmas show, but I suspect...”

Written on: 22/12/2008 by Heapey (1 review written)

This was advertised as a Christmas show, but I suspect the audience may have thought it geared up to that of pantomime. Which is what you expect for something advertised as a Christmas show. So be perpared for no interaction with the audience, and lots of bored children talking during the performance.
The Wizard Of Oz could have been performed spring or summer, but I suspect it's more profitable to call it a "Christmas Show".
On the whole disappointed with the Lowry, certainly will not be booking early again next year.

☆☆☆☆☆

“I had taken two of my children to see Mary Poppins a...”

Written on: 19/12/2008

I had taken two of my children to see Mary Poppins a few days before, and I did not expect the same breathtaking extravaganza. The Wizard Of Oz at the Lowry was terrible, really terrible. I have seen many plays and shows, of may genres, and this was the worst I have ever had to endure. I was really upset when I got home. PLEASE, do not waste your money. Go to a panto instead, this was one to go down in History. I expected better from the Lowry. The whole quality and proffesionalism of the production was pathetic and very, very amateurish. The role was weak, the cast weaker, and the dubbed singers and dancers were almost cringe-worthy. Lorna Luft, as the witch, was passable, but had very little stage presence or interaction with the audience. The set was passable, the props were adequate, and the who show left me, and my friend feeling cheated. It was at best a poor pantomime, at worst, a rather stilted school play. Very disappointing.

“Regarding The Wizard Of Oz at The Lowry, Katie...”

Written on: 18/12/2008

Regarding The Wizard Of Oz at The Lowry, Katie Scofield has a future in this role, her speaking voice was exactly like Garlandf's but she was let down by poor production values and rubbishy looking sets. I can only guess that most of the budget was spent on luft who was ok but hamstrung by poor witch effects. Blowing a quick puff of smoke in from the wings is not good enough for such a dramtic charachter.

“I have been twice now to watch The Wizard Of Oz at The...”

Written on: 17/12/2008

I have been twice now to watch The Wizard Of Oz at The Lowry Theatre in Salford Quays and the 2nd time was much improved. The confidence of the cast is growing and it shows that they are all enjoying performing in this wonderful production this year.
Congratulations Katie you are doing a great job, All the cast are doing an excellent job. Munchkins we love you, keep smiling.

“The energy of Katie Schofield playing Dorothy was...”

Written on: 12/12/2008 by AnnieNomouse (1 review written)

The energy of Katie Schofield playing Dorothy was excellent. However her voice is underdeveloped and unsupported unable to hold the low note and the highs in the anthemic Somewhere over the Rainbow.
Lorna Luft seemed fine as Ms Gulch displaying a wonderful wickedness but seemed less sure of herself as the wicked Witch. Maybe she was thrown by the pantomime boos she recieved. The producers should take her to see an actual panto so she can see what is expected of a villain. But i doubt that will happen as the producers don't seem to care as long as they sell enough rubbish toys in the lobby before hand to distract the audience from the car crash happening in front of there eyes.
Of corse the kids in the audience will have a good time. It contains all the things kids love, loud noises, cheap explosions, and a dog. But doing the minimum to entertain the kids is not the way to run a show. I have seen school productions with much more class than this,(no pun intended), and to say it was amateur would insult the many thousands of amateur companies up and down the country who would actually give the direction and interpretation of this classic some careful thought.

Please if you are reading this trying to decide whether or not to shell out for this, and the kids are pulling on your shirt sleeve demanding to be entertained by "the girl off the telly", DON'T DO IT. If you give the lowry your cash they will think this kind of dross is exceptable. It is not. Go and find your local amatuer group and give them your money instead. Support people like you who care about quality. Imagine what you could do with £ £ £' £ £ £ that they're paying Ms luft. The Lowry will tell you that a big name gets them publicity, and that that puplicity gets bums on seats, and that those bums fund the less mainstream artistic program throughout the rest of the year, and they're in part right. But it does not have to be so soulless in the beginning. A stunning production with a talented cast, and insightful innovative direction and strong production values will get people talking, and people talking is the best puplicity there is. And which is more they will come back year after year. I for one will not be back any time soon.

“A faithful following of the original film. Fantastic...”

Written on: 09/12/2008

A faithful following of the original film. Fantastic production and cast. The Wiza4rd of Oz at the Lowry Theatre is Salford was excellent. It was a great production and kept us all entertained the whole way through.

“Err - this is NOT a Panto its a Xmas Show so that's...”

Written on: 08/12/2008

Err - this is NOT a Panto its a Xmas Show so that's why you didn't get the 'He's behind you' rubbish - if you want a Panto go to the Opera House! The sound of the production of the Wizard of Oz was very tinny. There wre some great film sequences though

“Great alternative to a panto. All of it was brilliant....”

Written on: 08/12/2008 by lizzie71 (1 review written)

Great alternative to a panto. All of it was brilliant. This version 0of the Wizard of Oz Stayed true to the film apart from "Jitterbug"? Didn't see enough of Toto and was disappointed he didn't pull the curtain back to the Wizard. I also don't see why children as young as 2 are being taken to the evening show.

“The Wizard Of Oz is a mission technically and hats off...”

Written on: 06/12/2008

The Wizard Of Oz is a mission technically and hats off to the crew first off who pull that together - almost every cutaway shot was realised - on stage! that's amazing in itself.
I loved the black and white set and costumes at the begining/end, the Oz reveal became oh so more colourful.
I loved the fact that it wasn't a he's behind you show, but also loved the fact that kids shouted it anyway, lots of hand clapping, singing and booing. Well it is xmas. The cast don't react to the audience in that sense, so if that's what your looking for, head down to town for peter pan. If you want to recapture the magic that is Oz, then this is a must see show. I'm 39 and i can tell you there was a lump in my throat at the end.
The dancers were good, tight and full of energy. Well done the tree girls ! Flying monkies, flying witches, flying glinda, smoke explosions and fireballs flying through the air ! what's not too like, it's what you expected and this cast delivered.
Lorna Luft (daughter of Judy Garland) was amazing, her Gulch was so spot on it was a bit spooky, and as for the witch - you have to see for yourself just how good she does that.
Scarecrow did very well, his voice, inflection was again spot on, same with tin man, and lion, oh the lion, big shoes to fill those, but i loved what he did with it, some of the delivery was just perfect, King of the Forest, great.
I could go on, but think i've done plenty here, this is a true faithful version of the film, and for me it should always be done like that. there are just some stories that should'nt be panto'd this is one of them. Cast, crew and production team, well done. I've already re-booked for a fortnights time. Well done to all. And TOTO too cute - yes a real TOTO !

“Thoroughly enjoyed the The Wizard Of Oz production at...”

Written on: 04/12/2008

Thoroughly enjoyed the The Wizard Of Oz production at The Lowry Theatre, Salford Quays, which fortunately stayed faithful to the film. The stage version was brought up to date with fantastic special effects which left the whole family mesmorised.
There was an opportunity in the film for "hes behind you" shouts from the crowd but this was more than a traditional pantomime -it was a faithful retelling of "The Wizard of Oz" story without any cheesy additions and quite frankly rightly so as this story is magical enough for children as it is.
Well done to everyone involved.

“The Wizard of Oz pantomime at the Lowry Theatre was ok...”

Written on: 02/12/2008

The Wizard of Oz pantomime at the Lowry Theatre was ok but not great. Its had very energetic songs that got everyone involved but i felt that it was a bit dragged out. The whole day as well works out pretty expensive when its for a whole family.

“Last years Wizard of Oz pantomime at the Lowry Theatre...”

Written on: 01/12/2008

Last years Wizard of Oz pantomime at the Lowry Theatre is salford had 4 or 5 famous faces and was very funny. This years just followed the script to the letter with no one in it that I have really heard off.
There was no "he's behind you" or "oooohhh yes he is" which to me are what panto's are all about. The set was great and the changes was very quick. If Im honest I have to say that I thought that the cast was weak (compared to last year)