Northern Rail Reviews

Northern Rail - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Northern Rail

Northern Rail

“Rubbish ”

Written on: 08/06/2022 by Annelowes16 (1 review written)

I was made to wait in Wakefield Westgate station for 2 hours because l had left my ticket on the train I'm a vunerable disabled pensioner with amnesia and several health issues l have difficulty walking the jobswoth staff on the electronic gates wouldent let me leave the station to get to kirkgate station to catch a train to featherstone putting me in danger of a stalker who had been harassing me it was 19.05 on 8th of June 2022 causing me to miss 2 trains and having to walk down a long lonely road where the stalker might be waiting he's followed me twice .I forgot my ticket all they said was make sure you remember your ticket in future how do you make an amnesiac with a few seconds memory remember anything you are unhelpful and useless you don't care about the safety of vunerable people or you would have let me catch my train

“Joke of a service”

Written on: 08/12/2021 by Sawyer112 (1 review written)

Joke of a service as usual. 1 star because I can't rate with 0. Equally inefficient at having on time services and at providing delay compensations. If you want to be somewhere on time, don't use Northern.

“Criminalising regular professional travellers like NHS...”

Written on: 02/12/2021 by ZionPearson54 (1 review written)

Criminalising regular professional travellers like NHS staff by charging a £20 fine when they are unable to purchase a ticket before boarding the train. The facility to buy on the train has also been taken away. No consideration for returning train travellers who haven't used the train for c18 months due to the pandemic and unaware of recent changes.

Nobullfromkarens's Comment

Written on: 05/03/2022

lol what recent changes to our 100+ year old railway? you’ve had to buy a ticket before you get on the train for years since they brought in the fines. But no instead of admitting your mistake, learning your lesson and paying the fine. You’ll spit your dummy out on the internet claiming victim.

Let me guess you enjoying a free ride through covid whilst the staff weren’t checking tickets and staying safe whilst doing their job and now just annoyed you got caught.

Read 1 Comment

“Whaley Bridge station”

Written on: 30/09/2021 by AlecJ1 (1 review written)

I attended Whaley Bridge station this morning and used the toilets they were the CLEANEST public toilet I have used in a VERY long while a pleasant change well done Whaley Bridge !!!

“FRIENDLY STAFF”

Written on: 15/07/2021 by Ronniet57 (1 review written)

I use this service six days a week and find the staff friendly and helpful. Cancellations have also been less frequent, although I don't know if I have been lucky and this is only on the lines I use. However during the pandemic period I have only seen a customer asked on one occasion if they had a valid reason for not wearing a mask. Although there are announcements and signs it has been rare to travel anywhere without customers, not wearing masks at all, wearing them only over the mouth or under the chin, or ignoring social distancing rules. While I appreciate that the railway staff have been important key workers and been at risk during the pandemic due to their contact with the public, there have been frequent occasions when I have not felt safe due to the behaviour of other passengers.

“Clean trains friendly staff ”

Written on: 03/07/2021 by Lj9406 (1 review written)

Travelled with northern railway and the staff were very friendly and helpful as a passenger with additional needs and mask exemption travelling during these times makes me nervous but they put my at ease

“Absolutely abysmal service ”

Written on: 17/01/2020 by wwCunningham147 (1 review written)

A week doesn't go by without some cancellations, so far this week alone - 5 cancellations and numerous delays. What is going on - your service Northern Rail is appalling.

“Terrifying and dangerous journey”

Written on: 17/12/2019 by Jewli (1 review written)

If I could rate it NO stars I would. A word of advice do not travel on these trains at peak times if you value your life. They literally cram poeple into the smallest number of carriages they can and I am talking about going through THREE major cities.my son suffered a horrendous panic attack because we were squashed in that much he could not breathe. Poeple were crammed against the doors and still the guard squashed another man in with a huge suitcase. Ask yourself how you would manage in case of a fire or a terrorist attack? Answer is you will die. When is something going to be done about this! The phrase after the horse has bolted springs to mind.

“Pure self serving, no shame, appalling ”

Written on: 06/12/2019 by nigelh71 (1 review written)

They can blame the tracks and lack of investment but when the driver doesn’t turn up that is the northern train drivers/management/union fault. 20 minute wait because of no driver then the journey further delayed as a result. Thank you for your amazing service, that being to not care about your customers. Appalling doesn’t come close to the lack or service and care.

“Do they ever pay compensation?”

Written on: 07/11/2019 by stutay52 (1 review written)

Train from Preston to Grange-Over-Sands was first shown as late and then disappeared from the screen, to be replaced by the next train 1 hour later. No announcement was made about the cancellation. We arrived at our home station over an hour later than we should have. I have repeatedly tried to get a refund. Their first response was gobbledegook and when I said so I was just told the claim was unsuccessful. I contacted their appeals and was repeated told the screen shot of the ticket was unclear. It was not possible to get past the date box because it wouldn't allow you to enter it and didn't offer an option for the date I needed. I wonder why not. I have got a form to complain to the rail ombudsman, but to be honest for £27.35 I'm not sure I can justify the time. I guess that is what they want. They clearly aren't bothered about their rating. Virgin trains paid up straight away when one of their trains was delayed. What happened to their franchise...taken away.

“WORST EVER SERVICE (AND TRAINS)!!”

Written on: 17/09/2019 by ShiksSon (1 review written)

If I could give less than a star I would! Have lost count of the number of times my train has been CANCELLED or more than 10 min LATE.I'd be knee deep in pounds if counting. Having to find alternative ways to get where you're going (taxi, bus, walking) is the norm. I finally decided to apply for compensation under their 'get refund for 15 min or more delay'). Took time out of my busy schedule (out of principle and frustration). Put in 2 applications, one where my train was cancelled, the other train was over 35 min late (or more I'm sure as left to get bus). I asked for voucher refund. Some weeks later... my 'compensation' vouchers arrived. £0.50 and £1.30!!! UNBELIEVABLE! NOT EVEN THE COST OF A SINGLE TICKET?!. THE TIME I SPENT FILLING COMPENSATION FORM WAS NOT WORTH THIS!! LET ALONE THE MONTHS OF FRUSTRATION, EXTRA COSTS ETC. The trains themselves are so OLD, FILTHY, RICKETY & DATED, I've seen better trains in so called 3rd world countries. So embarassing to have people visiting from Europe/elsewhere and have to board one of these. Great Britain indeed. Why this company still has a contract is beyond me. They are definitely not putting customer service or comfort first at any point.

“Refusal to pay compensation”

Written on: 11/07/2019 by 1953Barry (1 review written)

Waiting at Buckshaw for train to Horwich. Didn't arrive so I missed interview. Applied 3 times for refund. Still waiting 3 months later. Dreadful service and customer support.

“Stranded in Ormskirk...”

Written on: 13/01/2019 by carboncopyking (1 review written)

Once again service to Preston from Ormskirk doesn't turn up. No warning, no taxi or replacement bus laid on for its stranded passengers. Had to abandon a day trip to Scotland costing me £37.00 and return home. Emailed my complaint to Northern Rail and received email back telling me that "one of their dedicated team members" will get back to me within 20 working days. 20 working days came and went, no word from them, all subsequent emails unanswered... Clearly a greedy profit driven company with absolutely no regard for the poor souls who have to use their services. Looking at the extent of the Northern Rail network map they have obviously bitten off more than they can swallow. Should be condensed down and given to at least three other operators to control. They're a rail company in turmoil, and we're paying the price.

“Appalling service”

Written on: 23/05/2018 by Phoebsw (1 review written)

Must be the worst train operator in the UK, correction in a developed country. Trains are late or cancelled. They are ancient and during the rush hour between Leeds and morley they invariably provide just two carriages_buses on wheels made in 1066 and passengers are squashed inside like sardines. Guards cannot be bothered selling tickets so when you get to leeds you must queue. They should be stripped of the licence now

“Cancellation ”

Written on: 30/04/2018 by Briyar (1 review written)

Once again the first train from Preston to Ormskirk cancelled due to shortage of drivers. This company is a joke. They are not customer orientated their only thoughts are profits. We get constant apologies for the late arrival or cancelled trains. Meaningless words. This must be the worst rail company in the UK and the sooner it goes the better.

“Worst trains in UK”

Written on: 23/01/2018 by Blake45 (1 review written)

I travel on lots of different trains around the UK and Northern are by far the worst. Old trains that should have been retired 20+ years ago. Scruffy and grubby. Customer service centre is a joke, don't hold your breath waiting for a reply. Frequently too few carriages and you're lucky if you can even squeeze on to the train they are so overcrowded. The local station ticket office, managed by Northern, is often shut and then you can't access the ticket machine either. Totally disorganised at Manchester Victoria. Have been sat on a 4 carriage train before waiting to leave when they suddenly change the trains and everyone has to get off and on to a 2 carriage train. I would avoid them if I didn't need to travel.

“Absolute joke of a company”

Written on: 28/12/2017 by Lunnytarn (1 review written)

Late, cancelled seecices every week. Overcrowded trains everyday. Disgusting prices. Just another greedy, privately owned company running service into the ground while leeching every penny it can feom customers. Disgrace!

“Terrible”

Written on: 20/12/2017 by Reginau63 (1 review written)

Regularly take the train from Chester. Simply awful service, the trains are old, smelly, dirty, freezing cold in the winter and almost always late - terrible franchaise.

“Terrible”

Written on: 11/12/2017 by Milleryh165 (1 review written)

What else is there to say? Typical of train services in the UK. Constant delays and cancellations. Dirty and dated trains. Tickets checked on an extremely frequent basis. Multiple times per trip. No communicaton at stations of delays or cancellations and good luck trying to get any response from their customer services team.

“Disgraceful service, and a huge Con!! ”

Written on: 30/11/2017 by Ashlee83 (1 review written)

Most staff except from a few are rude when checking tickets and the prices are ridiculous! I was charged double for a journey which ended up costing me £24 for a single journey, and the service I received when asking for a refund was disgraceful, and still have not been given one. I also purchased a rail card to save money, however now I've purchased it have discovered its worthless as I can't use it before 10am nor on a peak time (which is most of the time) which was not explained on purchase making it a waste of £30. Once I was even on an off peak time and my rail card was rejected and was charged in full! Not impressed and have informed friends to avoid travelling with them.