Eddie Izzard Stripped Reviews

• How Funny Was It?

Eddie Izzard Stripped - Ask a question now

“Side splitting”

written by Rdaley on 11/02/2014

Fanttactic - side splitting comedy - one of teh best nights out in a long while. Would certainly recommend Eddie

“I love Eddie Izzard, but he was off his game for the...”

written by on 16/12/2009

I love Eddie Izzard, but he was off his game for the 2nd Dublin show.

The few brilliant ideas he did spark were drowned in a sea of repetition and embarrassed pauses.

The show seemed sluggish. Eddie Izzard was 2 steps behind the audience who's occasional laughter was often followed by 30 seconds of patient silence as Mr. Izzard dragged each scene to it's foregone conclusion, or, on a number of occasions, to an embarrassed lack of conclusion.

In his defence, he was clearly suffering form a bad cold. This may have dulled his legendary blazing wit.

“Just plain old fashioned boring! Couldn't see...”

written by nabbeyguy on 14/12/2009

Just plain old fashioned boring! Couldn't see anything laugh-out-loud funny. A few moments of humour but laregly painfully flat. Audience reaction was treated with contempt more than once making a note that - 'mental note, Belfast doesn't get this'. Not funny, not cheap, the laugh was on us.

“Pure rubbish.....anyone that bought an "i'm Jeff...”

written by on 09/12/2009

Pure rubbish.....anyone that bought an "i'm Jeff Vader" T-shirt for 18 quid should be shot. Very boring and very unfunny. Lazy. Felt he was laughing at the audience. He must feel some guilt when he watches the performance himself.

“I have been a fan for years and enjoyed his quirky...”

written by on 07/12/2009

I have been a fan for years and enjoyed his quirky humour in the past. However, this was hugely disappointing. Well over half the material was anti-religious, based on his new found atheism. When he was agnostic the religious jokes somehow seemed funnier but the intent has now changed, much to the detriment humour. Also, his style which was fresh, new and cutting edge 10+ years ago is now a little tired and blunt.

One other point, Wembley Arena may be OK (just) as a concert venue, but for a one man comedy show it is pathetic. With the majority of the audience having to sit >100m from the stage you might as well just buy the DVD and watch it on your own screen rather than the one at Wembley (and save yourself a lot of money). Never again!

“ So unexpetectedly slow in parts I even wondered if...”

written by on 01/12/2009

So unexpetectedly slow in parts I even wondered if this had been dumbed down for us Northerners as it didn't seem to captivate the audience as I expected. a colleague hit the nail on the head by describing it as funny in parts but otherwise a bit flat.

“been a huge fan for years, but found this gig to be a...”

written by BiG TREE on 23/11/2009

been a huge fan for years, but found this gig to be a bit lame. there was a few sparks through-out the show but to me it became all to formulaic, dare i say it?contrived! maybe like samson's hair eddie needs his lipstick n high heals to find the left field comedy he's gone and lost. it aint over till the fat lady slips on a custard tart and splits her spleen.
come back izzard!

The Sting's Response to BiG TREE's Review

Written on: 25/11/2009

I found this review very helpful because...it shows how spending in excess of £30 a ticket is not necessarily worth spending on the big names when you have little comic Gems sprouting green shoots of comic genius up and around the country for more like £10 a ticket. They HAVE to be funny and are MOTIVATED to be funny cos they need us and our laughs...unlike maybe comedians such as the aforementioned, who are probably just sitting back and letting the laughs roll in, regardless of effort cos of who they are.
<br/>Thinking Izzard's been spending too much time with George Clooney!

“He may have lost the shock or surprise factor due to...”

written by islwynpaul on 21/11/2009

He may have lost the shock or surprise factor due to his present fame but this show was genius. The material flowed, interlinked and came together at the end. The dinosaur, giraffe and Noah sequences were inspired. Not laugh out loud but entertaining in a way only the Izzard can be. One can only be dazzled by his intelligence, his out of the box way of thinking and the satisfying way it comes together. Brilliant.

“I was really looking forward to this as I had never...”

written by on 18/11/2009

I was really looking forward to this as I had never seen him live.
It was very disapointing. I didn't find him very funny at all. There was the odd moment that I laughed. I am surprised he can sell out venues of that size with such poor material. Every one else in my group of friends who attended agreed.

Happy days for Eddie. Laughing all the way to the bank!

“Amazing, lovely, genius ”

written by on 03/11/2009

Amazing, lovely, genius

“Some really cracking ridiculous musings but felt as if...”

written by on 16/12/2008

Some really cracking ridiculous musings but felt as if he was struggling to each "way point" in his routine. I never reached a point where the laughs just built and built as i have with other shows. Seemed rather demob happy and just a bit lazy.

“My wife and I went on the 6th December to see the...”

written by quorny on 08/12/2008

My wife and I went on the 6th December to see the Eddie Izzard show "Stripped". We left during the intermission as we just didn't find it funny, were used to his style etc..etc.. but it seemed just drivel to us. It was a total disappointment.

“Bloody Hilarious all the way through. The man is a...”

written by on 25/11/2008

Bloody Hilarious all the way through. The man is a genius. I loved the show, the only bad point was having to leave at the end.

“I went to see Eddie the following evening, having...”

written by clowie 1 on 20/11/2008

I went to see Eddie the following evening, having never seen him live before but having collected all his previous material. Unless he had changed the entire show overnight, which I think highly unlikely, then to say it consisted of only 10% new material is ludicrous! Eddie certainly talked about some of the same subjects that he had talked about in his previous shows and even had some of the same characters that you recognise from his previous comedy, but the subjects were expanded on, the characters were all the funnier for their familiarity and the jokes were absolutely not the same! This truly was the best show I have ever seen.......and I have seen some great shows! I laughed myself silly throughout and at the same time was provoked to think about certain subjects in a new light.
£60 per ticket is expensive but this is London. I can honestly say that I commented on leaving the show that I would have gladly paid that and more to see this show-it was that good.
I also commented that I had been worried that maybe Eddie had peaked during the years that I had not seen him live and I had missed the chance.....but that I need not have worried as he had in fact got better and better. This show was without doubt crammed with way more brilliant material than in any of his previous brilliant shows!
Eddie is getting better and better.....so if you get the opportunity to go and see him in this show you really should take it. I would go again if I had the money! The only bad point was having to leave at the end of the night! I wanted to sit and watch it all over again! I only wished I could remember a fraction of it to replay in my head but this show was so amazingly and intelligently fast-paced that I have lost huge chunks of it already. I would go and see this show again and again. Don't give up the opportunity if you get one.....you won't be disappointed. Money well spent.

“It was all i expected it to be and more, we travelled...”

written by crashandski on 19/11/2008

It was all i expected it to be and more, we travelled all the way from Wales to Bexhill and it was well worth it. Have seen all his past shows and this held up quite admirably. Would definitely go and see him again. Brilliant add libbing. The only bad point was the fact we had two aisle seats.

“I have been a fan of Eddie Izzard right from when he...”

written by Bay1889 on 18/11/2008

I have been a fan of Eddie Izzard right from when he started in Edinburgh but I have never seen him live. So I was very excited but now I wish I hadn't has a feel that I have been a bit ripped off due to it all being mainly recycled material.

Rainedrop's Response to Bay1889's Review

Written on: 18/11/2008

I agree with this review because... you put it into words exactly how I felt. Couldn't put my finger on why I was disappointed but it just felt like an awkward evening that should have been better.

“Hmmm, I'm still not sure why I didn't feel it was a...”

written by rainedrop on 18/11/2008

Hmmm, I'm still not sure why I didn't feel it was a great night (as I did with his last tour). Perhaps he was not feeling comfortable on his first night in London but, for me, it was disappointing. Although have to say there were some very funny moments. Still worth seeing his latest 'Stripped' tour if you are a real fan.

“The most memorable evening I've ever spent at a...”

written by on 17/11/2008

The most memorable evening I've ever spent at a theatre. In Ludlow on Friday night (14th Nov 08) Eddie was at his surreal best - from giraffes miming a tiger attack to squids making diary entries... just brilliant. Small audience (350) very intimate - if you have tickets for the West End then look forward to the night of your lives!