Escape To The Country Reviews

3.0

“Not enough good presenters now.”

written by BloodyHell2 on 21/02/2024

Why do they persist with Steve brown? Yes do feel sympathy with him but to properly present this show you need unfettered access to steps gardens & staircases. It is obvious that the presentation is edited so that he can be moved to different areas. The whole thing becomes too pretentious let him do shows more suited to his disability than this. A good replacement for Johnny irwin is long everdue such as nick, jools and above all Alastair.

“Phrases used”

written by Donavana349 on 30/01/2024

Can Alistair Appleton PLEASE stop saying 'sort of' !!! Thank you

“Too much stupid laughing”

written by Carl115 on 11/12/2023

Denise nurse needs to curb the inane forced laughing at every opportunity it is invasive & spoils a good programme. Take some lessons from Alastair & others. A real turn off!

“All from London area”

written by Clivio on 01/07/2023

Why is virtually every episode centered around couples selling small houses in London area to buy properties for 700k plus in the countryside. Show some more realistic priced houses and houses being sought by people from outside the Southeast. There are other locations to source your house hunters. For one tho g it would highlight how difficult it is for people to find reasonably priced properties if you don't have London incomes.

“Basic Courtesy To Home Owners”

written by MarieDwyer on 28/04/2023

I can't believe how many of the hosts wear boots or even shoes inside the homes. In particular "Sonali" she wears healed boots at times and walks across hardwood floors. I think they should have shoes/slippers at the ready before entering. It's disrespectful to walk across a garden particularly in inclement weather and enter someone's home. I wouldn't think they would do it in their own homes. Another thing that's perhaps of a lesser importance is the fact "Sonali" likes to pat herself on the back far too much and looks for the clients gratification.

“Houses Shown on each Episode Often Higher than Budget”

written by Leannay450 on 08/06/2022

Hello from Missouri! I so enjoy watching ETTC here in the States, it brings me a slice of Home as I am from London. The locations are indeed a travel through England tour guide - absolutely delightful!! That said - I have an issue with the properties shown. Simply put, they often exceed the stated budget. I find that annoying and while it is not a waste of my time ... it most certainly is a waste of the Buyers(s). Why show them anything over their budget? Why not show them houses below their budget or at least " not to exceed". For example: last evening we watched Season 21 Episode 14, " Pembrokeshire". The Buyer said she had a budget of 700,000UK and if the magic place was found she could find up to 900,000UK. - So, where did Alistair start? 750,000UK! With the average home price in P-shire being 300K, surely he could have found a 600K property for her. Even the 2 " if you are on a budget" homes were darling!! Show her that! I would like for the properties to honor the budget. Make every home affordable. Secondly - it would be nice if " I Escaped To The Country" could be shown or a show created to follow-up on the buyers. I would love to have an episode follow-up for when the buyers actually move. I truly want to know how they got on!

“Music too loud otherwise excellent show. ”

written by Plaaskind on 06/04/2022

I struggle to hear what prenters and house hunters are saying because the background music is too loud, you don't need music while talking is going... It's frustrating and annoying.

“episode 20/55 That couple from London , ”

written by Meadows392 on 25/01/2022

The couple from London ,stay where you are ,pity the people next door ,so boring ,Nicki chapman usual excellent ,how does she keep her cool,with couples like that

“Too expensive ”

written by Rosscq237 on 17/11/2021

Why don't they show more realistic priced houses, I'm sure there is plenty of nice houses around that are not over half million pounds, it would be interesting to us poor folk to see something we could afford

“Interiors Need Headroom for Tall Buyers”

written by BeritJ on 16/10/2021

I’m based in the U.S. and have been watching your show for 6 months. While I enjoy the hosts, format of 3 homes, including the ‘Mystery House,’ beautiful gardens, the history lesson of each village and county, the very old and sometimes new architecture, and the British accents and words which vary from American English. However, there seems to be a glaring oversight which shows a 100% negative outcome when Buyers are choosing their homes. If one or both Buyers are tall, then are required to duck when touring home with beams, low doorways or climbing stairs, the house in question gets eliminated 100% of the time! Therefore, when the Host/Agent previews the property, this should be taken into consideration so that the Buyers truly get three valid choices. Otherwise, keep on broadcasting “Escape To The Country” in America, and as you say, “Off you go!”

“Presenters act like estate agents ”

written by VernonWilliam on 28/09/2021

It's a good premise for a show but the presenters are poor. They act like estate agents with a very limited vocabulary. Everything is "good size" "nice view" or "dual aspect" "farmhouse kitchen" "family bathroom" etc. An innordinate amount of emphasis seems to be put on nice views or good view. It's very repetitive. And every single room is described as a "good size" unless it is really small when it is "compact". The poor use of vocabulary makes the narrative almost meaningless. They also seem to have a vested interest in selling one of the properties even though many are quite unsuitable for the buyers. They should act more impartially. The best segments of the show are where they look at local history or crafts.

“Happy house hunting with blondie? ”

written by Camilal160 on 16/10/2020

I love the show. I watch it almost everyday. I love the mystery house. I also love most of the Realtors with the exception of blondie.I have a big complaint about the blonde realtor. Most of the time she shows clients houses that are over their budget and their budgets aren't small. Does she need a hearing aid? I don't think that's considerate at all, of the people and their budget, or the energy they put in looking for these houses. She comes off a bit condescending I think. Thank you very much.

Vernonwilliam's Comment

Written on: 28/09/2021

Blondie ... do you mean Nikki Chapman?!

They are not realtors, they are presenters, but they do act like estate agents/realtors even though they should be more impartial.

“How to improve from a viewers view”

written by 310Ogden on 23/07/2020

Love Johnny Irwin and Alistair Appleton presenting as they have a natural ease and humour which is entertaining and good viewing. My only criticism is that some of the same kind of programs view 6 properties,this one only views 3!! We don't watch for what's happening around the area or see local businesses or millionaire property. The total time of an hour program is no more than 20minutes actually viewing houses.

“Forever Home Concerns”

written by Mooney313 on 23/06/2020

The writers/producers need to research the architectural features needed in homes as homeowners age - ground floor bedroom and full handicapped bath (these can really look great with sloped shower floors, teak benches, hand showers, no edging), no steps for the aging, better yet no thresholds, accommodate scooters not wheelchairs, wide hallways and doorways, pocket doos. The properties selected for viewing for aging or forever homes show serious ignorance of the design features needed as people age. They do not need to be shipped off to nursing homes if forever homes are properly designed. I love this show but the ignorance about the needs of the aging are grating. Do not rely only on handicap building codes - they do not pass the scooter test and other needed conveniences.

“why most of bed rooms are upstairs”

written by downhome2020 on 21/02/2020

Really like the programs .since the likely hood of ever visiting Great Brit. we do like the scene shots and a little history of that area. Most of the people who want to escape seem tobe retired or almost as such. In most of the shows no one seems to want bed rooms down.It would appear as yo grow older this would be a BIG factor, climbing stairs.

“Property price”

written by on 05/02/2020

I applied to be on the show on 17 July 2019. I have never heard from them since that date. I suspect the reason for this is the property price. Obviously, from a television point of view, the nicer and more attractive properties are those that are more expensive. I mentioned the maximum budget was in the region of about £260,000. For this reason, I suspect I've never heard back from Boundless TV. In which case, why do they not mention this at the application stage. I tried to phone them, but there's never anyone there and they don't get back. For these reasons, my review can be no more than poor. I would like to hear back from this programme.

“No more music”

written by McGinnisto12 on 05/02/2020

I have had to stop watching this programme as the background music is louder than the talking it completely ruins the show

Smudger129's Comment

Written on: 03/07/2020

I certainly share your concern. I really like the idea portrayed by the programme but the music is very annoying. It often drowns out speech and I felt so relieved when we get the odd silent music break

Yvonne.conolly's Comment

Written on: 25/09/2020

I very much agree with you. I am at a loss to understand the need for the unrelenting loud music. It often interferes with what the presenters and buyers say.

“Customers First”

written by Hobbledehoye on 04/10/2019

The presenters should be reminded that their patronising criticisms of the clients can verge on the impertinent, even insolent, and that it isn't their money being spent! I have just watched an episode hosted by Aled Jones helping a wealthy Asian couple; his comments behind their backs were most inappropriate & disrespectful.

Duckylarue's Response to Hobbledehoye's Review

Written on: 19/09/2023

Some of the house hunters are such awful, critical, humorless gits it's a wonder the presenters aren't more patronizing. I've certainly enjoyed the couple of times Johnny Irwin's gotten frustrated enough to say something cheeky to the home buyers when their expectations were absurd. No one can be expected to suffer so many fools gladly day in and day out.

“Intrusive background music”

written by Timboooo on 26/05/2019

This once enjoyable programme has been ruined by the intrusive, so- called background music. It is too loud, repetitive and even overides the conversation at times. Do the producers ever listen to the programme prior to transmission? If they did they would surely realise that the music spoils the enjoyment of the programme.

“Ridiculous background music”

written by on 24/01/2018

Why do these good programmes keep playing music when people are talking is it really nessesary.. Unfortunately i turned the program off.. What is the point of it all. Disappointed viewer

Asked by Jeffgeorge on 14th February 2024 Report this content
Although I have enjoyed ‘Escape to the Country’ for several years I am regularly frustrated by the continuing misleading statement made by many of the presenters. It happened yesterday and has happened again today (14/2/24). A location is described as a “Hamlet” and then the first pictures show a “Church”. I have spent my working life as an historic buildings consultant and would inform these presenters that, no matter how large or small a collection of dwellings may be, if that group of buildings includes a church then it is a “Village”, not a “Hamlet”! My wife and I lived happily for more than 26 years in an idyllic house in the Welsh Marches. There were only 8 other dwellings but our house was the old vicarage and, because the church is next door we lived in a “Village”! I do hope that you are able and willing to take this criticism on board and that the next series will continue to give further pleasure without this frustrating misinformation. Kind regards

Asked by Bladerunner7955 on 24th January 2023 Report this content
How many times have prospective buyers found a property they like only for the programme format to cause them to miss out on putting an offer in by a day because they had to wait to see the mystery house?

Asked by Rosemaryfrench on 19th January 2022 Report this content
Please can you tell me which Escape to the Country had a visit to a couple of men hand making yurts? So I can look it up thanks.

Asked by briliz on 26th July 2019 Report this content
When the presenter and the buyers are traveling between locations in the presenters car, why does the external scenery give the impression of traveling in a high speed train. Is the car stationary and the moving scenery is provided by a rolling road?

Asked by ETTCQuery on 8th May 2018 Report this content
I watched an episode of Escape to the Country recently, although think it was a repeat. They showed a brand new house owned and designed by an architect who had used natural materials, eg. wooden materials to design a kitchen and to make the stunning cottage appear like an old cottage. Cannot find the episode anywhere. Can anyone help please?

Asked by Davidh001 on 27th March 2018 Report this content
Why do they have such ridiculous high prices which are out of the reach of most people?

Asked by spaniel22 on 3rd April 2014 Report this content
I live in Australia and very much enjoy watching Escape to the Country Friday & Sunday evenings even though the programs we get here are usually 3 to 4 years old. However last week Jules was talking to buyers regarding putting Yerds on the property as a source of income (not sure of the spelling) I have tried looking this up to find out what it is but can't find anything which explains it. Can anyone help?

Answers (1)
Report this content beansbaked Written on: 14/02/2017
I think he means yurts !