Khyam Chatsworth Reviews

• Comfort

Khyam Chatsworth - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Khyam Chatsworth

Khyam Chatsworth

“not suitable in windy conditions, fabric really rips...”

Written on: 09/03/2019 by christinesteven (1 review written)

not suitable in windy conditions, fabric really rips easily used this tent three times a twice it has needed extensive repairs because of windy conditions… Read Full Review

“For 25 years of Khyam experience”

Written on: 24/07/2011 by El-Flitso (1 review written)

Hi there, 25 years ago I bought my first two and a half sleeper Khyam quick erect tent. In the 25 years khyam experience with sometimes realy heavy rains, Mistrals and thunder storms, the tent never fails. My daughter is using my 25 year old buddy now!! For 3 years ago I bought a bigger Chatsworth and have the same experience. Mistrals and thunder storms with heavy rains are no problem and we keep it dry and warm. But when I bought the Chatsworth the suplier gives me a good instuction. We… Read Full Review

“Have found this tent to be exactly as anticipated. No...”

Written on: 24/04/2010

Have found this tent to be exactly as anticipated. No problems what so ever, spacious and easy to erect.........love it.Nothing to dislike in my opinion… Read Full Review

“There seems to be mixed reviews of this tent - our...”

Written on: 29/03/2010

There seems to be mixed reviews of this tent - our experience has been very good. We have been away for 2 x 2 week holidays, one of which was on a windswept Welsh clifftop (60 mile an hour winds), and the tent performed perfectly. During a storm, our tent held together with no ill effects, leaks etc, while others around us ended up with broken poles and torn fabric. We couldn't be happier, and believe that if the directions for erection are followed properly, there shouldn't be a problem… Read Full Review

“What have they done to the old khyam Excel that has...”

Written on: 20/08/2009

What have they done to the old khyam Excel that has turned it into the failure I read about in these reviews. We have just returned from a 4,000 mile tour of Europe and have camped many times with our tent in uk. It coped with howling gales in Glencoe, and monsoons in Europe . Our tent is now 5 years old, very well used, has never collected or leaked water, and as been robust in gales and rain. It is perfect. What has gone so badly wrong in the new Khyam Chatsworth model/ version of this… Read Full Review

“The Khyam Chatsworth was easy to erect, none of the...”

Written on: 09/08/2009

The Khyam Chatsworth was easy to erect, none of the weatherproof problems mentioned in other reviews despite using it in wet/windy weather. Best tent weve ever had… Read Full Review

“I didn't click any stars at first, but that wasn't...”

Written on: 28/07/2009 by mandymermaid (1 review written)

I didn't click any stars at first, but that wasn't acceptable! I actually don't believe it to be worth any stars.
I had a Kyam XL tent for 9 years and it stood up to everything the weather had to throw at it. Minor problems on the bedroom corner, but otherwise great. I bought the Chatsworth last year,as I liked the thought of an inbuilt groundsheet. The first time I used it was fine. There was a little rain, but all went well. The second time there was heavy rain and the bedroom pole bent… Read Full Review

Antony5378's Response to mandymermaid's Review

Written on: 11/03/2010

This exact same thing happened with my tent. The ceiling in the bedroom compartment was almost touching my nose it was holding that much water. Then i realised i'd made a big mistake. The pole which crosses the bedroom should be in tension (if it looks straight you've got it positioned wrong). By which i mean there should be an arch over the bedroom, if you haven't got this rotate the pole, it should be quite difficult to get into position.

Guest's Response to mandymermaid's Review

Written on: 26/06/2012

I have had the same problem as discussed her. The bedroom pole is meant to be arche d under tension with the hinged joints turned back on themselves and under unnatural stress, I have had numerous breaks in these joints on windy days and carry spares, The joint breaks at the highest stress point adjacent to the end of the inserted aluminium tube.
Funnily enough the earlier model of the tenthas a different arrangement here and is fine. I was camped alongside one the last time ours broke in a Force 5 strong breeze.

Guest's Response to mandymermaid's Review

Written on: 09/08/2011

Antony is right the bedroom pole should be in tension i.e. bowed outwards. However to do this you have to have the joints the otherway, this puts a lot of tension on the joints and if its windy they WILL snap. So really you're stuck either way. We have had ours for three years now, its OK having learned that keeping the poles in tension snaps the joints we have the bedroon cross poles horizontal instead. The joints are fine and luckily we have not had problems with the poles bending in heavy rain. Interstingly every time I see a Chatsworth when I'm camping I ask the owners if they have had any problems - and this problem comes up every time. I am amazed the manufacturers have not addressed this fundamental design flaw yet.

Read 3 Comments

“Brought this Khyam Chatsworth tent and annex for my...”

Written on: 04/05/2009 by don2 (1 review written)

Brought this Khyam Chatsworth tent and annex for my family of four (Two adults, two kids 11 & 4). Used twice so far and have found the tent to have plenty of room with the annex up. None of the problems have been experienced as stated in the previous reviews even though we did have fairly strong winds and a heavy downpour of rain during one of the nights. There was a fair amount of rain collected outside at the bedroom poles during the storm but was easily cleared by lowering one side to allow… Read Full Review

“As with the other comment about the Khyam Chatsworth,...”

Written on: 14/08/2008 by BrenR (1 review written)

As with the other comment about the Khyam Chatsworth, we experienced the same. Leaking from the seams, especially where the inner bedroom is attached to the roof and around the side door, the zips suck in the wet and the plastic knuckle sheared. All this on the second day, in moderate weather. We were lucky; packed it all up; took it back to shop and demanded a refund. In our decades of camping experience; we have Never experienced such poor quality "expensive" tent.

We replaced it with an… Read Full Review

“A truly awful tent. I feel duped out of my money for...”

Written on: 07/07/2008 by TedP (1 review written)

A truly awful tent. I feel duped out of my money for something that wasn't fit for purpose. I bought a Khyam Chatsworth as it can be put up quickly and no delays trying to work out which pole goes where and then feeding it through seams etc. I have to say though that it's a false economy.
I have used my tent twice and both times resulted in a complete failure in the tent. The problems are 2-fold.
1) We experienced leaking along the taped seams even though rainfall was not particularly heavy. I… Read Full Review

Mandymermaid's Response to TedP's Review

Written on: 28/07/2009

I found this review very helpful because it confirmed my own experience. I am trying to get mine replaced or money back.

Andyb100's Response to TedP's Review

Written on: 24/08/2009

I also purchased a Khyam Chatsworth, used it for the first time and experienced exactly the same problems with water pooling and the pole bending over the bedroom area. This was until I realised I had the pole in the wrong way around! the guying rings must be on the inside facing the tent. When correctly inserted the pole bows outwards and stops any water collecting. I am sure many users must have had this problem as the obvious way to fit the poles is wrong! If you carefully look at the video you will see the pole bows outwards.

Read 2 Comments