Lance Armstrong, It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life Reviews

Media Gallery for Lance Armstrong, It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life

Lance Armstrong, It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life

“It's ultimately about what's left out”

Written on: 08/10/2015 by Sarai1972 (1 review written)

I first read this book on holiday a few years ago, and would probably have gone along with the reviews from others on here who gave it four or five stars. Then it was an inspirational story of someone coming back from what was initially testicular cancer, which had unfortunately spread to his brain and lungs, to become one of the cycling greats. As we all know in recent years the truth surrounding Lance's cycling career and his multiple Tour De France wins has emerged. Despite that it's still a good read and you can't help when reading it to still marvel at the grit and determination it took to get back in the saddle despite the ugly truth that he didn't want us to know. I can therefore only give it three stars due to the things it hides.

“lance armstrong is definately an inspiration to us...”

Written on: 13/09/2010 by hick (1 review written)

lance armstrong is definately an inspiration to us all. if we could all have the same drive as he does our lives would be filled with everything we wish for, thats for sure an amazing story one of the best books ive read in years. i would recommend it to anyone. lance your my hero!!!!

“Very good book, I saw exactly what Lance was thinking...”

Written on: 17/06/2008 by bs1kally (1 review written)

Very good book, I saw exactly what Lance was thinking and his attention to detail was incredible. incredible story wrote the way it should be. Lance Armstrong is one of the most inspirational people alive today and he should be recognized for that.

“Lance Armstrong is such an inspirational person that I...”

Written on: 22/02/2008

Lance Armstrong is such an inspirational person that I cried all the way through this book. It is a great book to have for a biography of for just to have as a fun read. So... READ IT. If you don't you will be missing out on something great

“Great story of overcoming adversity. Still has a chip...”

Written on: 07/02/2008

Great story of overcoming adversity. Still has a chip on his shoulder about he desertion of his family. He's just a regular guy with a great resistance to pain that affects others.

“It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life is...”

Written on: 14/07/2007 by rds1 (1 review written)

It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life is extremely entertaining and inspirational. It basically covers Lance Armstrong's life from his childhood, to becoming a pro cyclist, to getting cancer, and then surviving and become a cycling legend.
It is very well written, to the extent that it is completely obvious that someone has written it for him, but I don't mind this because he has still been brutally honest about himself, and it makes for a great read.
I have read this book several times and would recommend to anyone.
p.s. This book is also useful because whilst being swept away by the story, you are also inadvertently learning all about cycling, and I for one now know considerably more about the sport than the average man on the street. It is nice expanding your general knowledge by mistake!

“Excellent book about fighting cancer and then going on...”

Written on: 08/07/2007 by APrimeMinister (11 reviews written)

Excellent book about fighting cancer and then going on to win the Tour de France (the book doesn't cover all his wins).

The ultimate inspirational story, it describes one person's rise to cycling fame, then their demise at the hands of various cancers and then their battle back to health. (It is particularly impressive in the way he describes not just his suffering but his drive to live against formidable odds. He also has the good grace to point that whilst attitude is a huge help, there's an element of luck too. He reminds us that many equally courageous people still die at the hands of this terrible disease.)

The book then charts his rise beyond "simply" recovering to become a healthy adult once more to become arguably the greatest athelete of all time.

Throughout the book he explains many aspects of competitive cycling which explains some of the politics and strategies necessary to win. Not that this is the main thrust of the book (after all its not about the bike!) However this does help to illustrate just how hard it is to win the Tour.

Knowing just how ridiculously hard the race is, its noteworthy that he regards himself as a cancer survivor first and a (many would say "the") championship-winning cyclist second.
Is it perfect? No.
Is it superb nonetheless? Yes.

Read it.

311982_Mark Fields's Response to APrimeMinister's Review

Written on: 20/09/2007

Spot on.

Read 1 Comment

“I enjoyed this book a lot. the fact that he describes...”

Written on: 17/04/2007 by cucumberchic (1 review written)

I enjoyed this book a lot. the fact that he describes every thing well also does me some favours as I don't like books that are waffly and don't describe things. This book was an easy read and the pictures were pretty gruesome but they helped to convey the facts and information a lot better.

“I am right into cycling and want to make my name in...”

Written on: 25/07/2006 by Melly Belly (1 review written)

I am right into cycling and want to make my name in the world of cycling. I love the Tour De France and fell in love with the sport from watching it. The book by Lance is Great! I am only a kid but it was a great inspiration. At times I wanted to laugh and times wanted to cry. This book is great for anyone pass it round and let everyone have a ride!

“Lance Armstrong, It's Not About the Bike: My Journey...”

Written on: 20/06/2005 by callko (3 reviews written)

Lance Armstrong, It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life, is an excellent read for all, cycling enthusiast or not. Truly inspirational and very well written, this book covers Lance's story from before he was famous, throughout his battle with cancer, and his comeback to be the Tour De France winner in 99'. This is one book you cannot put down, but also do not want to finish, read it many times and given it to all my family and friends. Read it, you will not be disappointed.