Cyndi Lauper, Bring Ya To The Brink Reviews

5.0

Cyndi Lauper, Bring Ya To The Brink - Ask a question now

“'Bring Ya To The Brink' by Cyndi Lauper is a complete...”

written by speakout on 17/07/2009

'Bring Ya To The Brink' by Cyndi Lauper is a complete surprise to me and I can't believe this CD hasn't been a bigger hit. Considering Cyndi started off as a girl who wanted to have fun back in the 80's, my personal opinion is that she was and is overshadowed by Madonna who's presence in the same space has somehow blown the competition away over the years. Cyndi in my opinion deserved as much success as Madonna has had and after downloading some of Cyndi's back catalogue recently, I came across this new (well it came out last year) CD which I hadn't even heard about. If you're expecting tunes something along the lines of 'Time After Time' then think again because this CD is packed with dancefloor fillers that sound up to date and will leave you bopping round the house for ages. I think Cyndi has also written all the tracks on this CD too and in my opinion it is one of the best dance albums I've heard in a very long time. Right from the start when the groove of 'High and Mighty' kicks in, you know you're going to enjoy the moment and I found myself cranking up the volume as the whole CD just begs to be played out loud. As you're catapulted into 'Into the Nightlife', if you weren't already energetically throwing a few shapes round the lounge you will definitely be off the sofa and doing your best to out Travolta John himself. By the time you near the end of the CD you'll be relieved to be able to reacquaint yourself with the sofa as the tempo slows down and Cyndi Lauper uses her distinctive voice to full effect on a great ballad called 'Rain on Me'.

Dance and Cyndi Lauper probably sound like a strange combination but trust me this works. With high profile collaborators including Basement Jaxx, Kleerup (of Robyn fame) and Richard Morel (Deep Dish) you are left in no doubt that Cyndi can funk it up with the rest of today's crowd. In my opinion, 'Bring Ya To The Brink' is a much cooler sounding alternative to Hard Candy by Madonna which to me smacked of a lady trying desperately to hang on to her youth.