EON Gas & Electricity - www.eon-uk.com Reviews

EON Gas & Electricity - www.eon-uk.com - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for EON Gas & Electricity - www.eon-uk.com

“Incompetent, dysfunctional, hopeless.”

Written on: 14/11/2017 by riggers386 (4 reviews written)

I've been with this shower of dysfunctional idiots for less than two weeks - but I've had enough. Paying the £60 penalty to say goodbye and good riddance is cheap enough - they are utterly, absolutely and completely incompetent. In the two weeks I've been with them, I've had to contact them numerous times to give meter readings. Yet every time I logon, I'm asked for meter readings. I even got a telephone call the other day from one of their advisors, assuring me that it had all been sorted… Read Full Review

“No consideration”

Written on: 01/11/2017 by 410Holt (1 review written)

We as a family were shocked to discover the ammount our late Mum was paying through Direct Debit to this company for electricity...the bill was settled after the probate...nine months later her house which had been empty throughout this time was sold...the final bill for electricity that had not been used came to £223.00...shocking....throughout this time they badgered the executor of the will each month pressing to carry on paying the Direct Debit which would have amounted to around £800… Read Full Review

“Opening meter reading issues etc..”

Written on: 26/09/2017 by pjon (1 review written)

I mistakenly decided to change gas and electricity supplier based on price alone. How daft I was! After receiving ther usual welcome e-mails they asked for my meter readings prior to the change. I submitted these. Sadly, it would seem these readings have not registered and are not available when I log into my account. All I get is a message asking for my meter readings which I have repeatedly tried to submit. The gas reading was o.k. but their system would not accept the elect. reading. Now… Read Full Review

Eonhelp's Response to pjon's Review

Written on: 29/09/2017

Hello pjon and I'm sorry you've been unhappy with the experience you've had with us so far.

You're right about the phone waits. These haven't been what we would've liked recently and we're working to put this right. This includes taking on more advisors to help plug the gaps. We've also opened another Call Centre in Glasgow. I also agree about the delays replying to emails. We're currently working through a large backlog and replies are currently going out after about 10 days. Again, this isn't good enough and I'm sorry you haven't received your reply yet.

I'm surprised, though, you haven't been able to use our online Live Chat service. This is usually available between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday and from 8am to 6pm on Saturdays. Although we have had a few system issues in the last few days and, if you tried then, you wouldn't have been able to use this service. These issues are now fixed and I've just checked and advisors are available online.

On the same 'contact us' page where you go to use Live Chat is a link to our phone numbers. It's on the right near the top of the page.

During and immediately after a change of supplier, meter readings can't be entered online as this part of the system is locked down whilst the account comes over. At this point, readings need to be given over the phone or by email or Live Chat. Once the account has fully transferred, you'll be able to enter readings and, if you wish, issue your own bills through our website.

As part of a transfer, various pieces of information pass between the two suppliers and certain industry third parties like the energy distributors, meter readers/operators and the national databases. This can slow down the switch but, don't worry, it won't affect the date we start supplying. This will be as advised. It's just that it takes a bit longer before the account is fully up and running. Once all the information's through, everything will be backdated (billing/tariff) to the supply start date.

Sorry again for all the hassle you've had sorting this pjon.

Pjon's reply to Eonhelp's Comment

Written on: 29/09/2017

But I did submit initial gas and electricity meter readings, in response to an e-mail, on the 16th September. These received no acknowledgement, e.g. thanks for your readings, nor did they display in my account after the transfer of supply date. All that was there in my account log in was a request to submit my readings before the 29th September or I would receive estimated bills.

Eonhelp's reply to Pjon's Comment

Written on: 03/10/2017

Hello Pjon and thanks for coming back to me.

Meter readings go through one of the industry third parties I mentioned the other day. This happens with every switch regardless of the suppliers involved and can hold things up a little.

The third party is the Data Collector and they check the readings are in line with previous readings held for the property. Once they've confirmed the readings, they'll go to both suppliers to be used on their respective opening and closing bills. This makes sure the same energy is only charged once. Sometimes they make a change and both suppliers need to use these different readings. Again, this prevents a duplication of charges. Usually it goes through within 42 days of the switch. At this point, your online account will be updated too. As I said above, all will be backdated to the Supply Start Date.

Hope this explains the delay Pjon.

Riggers386's reply to Eonhelp's Comment

Written on: 14/11/2017

Online chat DOES NOT WORK - fill in the details - after being invited to chat online - anytime they're supposed to be available - and all you get is 'online service OFFLINE"

Riggers386's Response to pjon's Review

Written on: 14/11/2017

Have had exactly the same issue - I've just contacted them to inform them I'm changing supplier - £60 penalty accepted - it's worth it. German 'efficiency'??? What a joke.

Read 5 Comments

“Extortionate standard rates!!!”

Written on: 26/08/2017 by KrystalDuffy93 (1 review written)

When we moved house about a year ago E.on Energy was the residing supplier at the time, shortly after we moved in we changed to N Power. A year down the line we have just been landed with the final bill for a period of 22 days of electricity and a few more on the gas. Guess what, the rate for that period came to, £333; this was summer time guys!!!! What do they think they are doing, what do they think I am, a millionaire or something? Customer service is very poor with E.on Energy, we had… Read Full Review

Written on: 30/08/2017

Hello KrystalDuffy93 and sorry you weren't happy with the service you received whilst you were with us.

With a change of supplier, it's the new supplier who drives the switch. They're responsible for letting the old supplier have the meter readings they intend to start their account from. The old supplier uses the same readings to close their account and issue a final bill.

These readings go through a third party who checks they're in line with past usage for the property. Sometimes a change is made and both suppliers need to use the same readings on their respective opening/closing bills. This stops the same energy from being charged twice. Sometimes, it can mean paying one supplier for more units than expected but this is balanced out by paying the other supplier for fewer units.

We'll have closed your account to the meter readings given us by npower. I'd check these readings are the same ones npower have used to start their account. If you're unhappy with these readings, they can be challenged through an industry wide procedure known as an Agreed Reads Dispute (ARD). Here, the two suppliers re-agree the opening/closing readings and re-submit them.

The difference needs to be above set thresholds before an ARD can be used. These thresholds are 250 units for electricity and 45/125 units for a 4 dial imperial/5 dial metric gas meter. You'll also need two sets of readings taken seven days apart.

Sorry again you weren't happy with our service KrystalDuffy93.

Coniferclose's Comment

Written on: 30/08/2017

Of course, all the usual sales talk. But that doesn't alter the fact that the standard rates charged are very extortionate (you have obviously missed my point on my review). What we are challenging isn't the meter readings but the unit rates charged. Maybe someone at some point within E.on Energy will actually re look at this case for us as it is certainly far from settled in its current state.

Written on: 31/08/2017

Hello Coniferclose and sorry I didn't talk about prices when responding to KrystalDuffy93's review about a final bill following a change of supplier. This was because the prices on this bill are set whereas it might be possible to challenge the meter readings.

As the account was only with us for 22 days, it will have been billed on our standard Energy Plan tariff. Although this is our most expensive tariff, it doesn't have any restrictions like exit fees. This leaves customers free to change supplier without penalty. There are other tariffs available but these tend to be contracted products with set terms. As such, we need to talk to customers before putting them on to these tariffs as they need to agree to the relevant terms.

Even though Energy Plan is more expensive than other tariffs, it's unlikely the price difference alone would lead to a £333 bill over 22 days. Usage, though, could lead to this and that's why I concentrated on the meter readings the bill is based on. As I said in my earlier reply, provided the difference is above set thresholds, these readings can be challenged. Given the amount you mention, I suspect these thresholds don't apply and you'll be able to challenge the readings used if you wish.

With our standard prices, we didn't have any increases between January 2014 and April 2017. We were even able to lower gas prices twice during this time. We also had available a number of heavily discounted tariffs although, as above, these had certain set terms that wouldn't have been suitable to someone wanting to change supplier quickly after moving in.

Market conditions have led to us reviewing all our products and prices. For this reason, I recommend that customers pop their usage in kWh into the independent price comparison sites to see a full overview of the market.

Read 3 Comments

“Worst ever”

Written on: 09/08/2017 by Mercedes187 (1 review written)

Seems they like to break in when your not there to do they're so called meter check, never go with them… Read Full Review

Written on: 30/08/2017

Hello Mercedes187 and thanks for your review.

From what you say, I suspect we've had to carry out a formal meter inspection to make sure all's okay. We've an obligation to check that your meter is recording accurately and is safe. This happens when we haven't been able to physically see the meter for 2 years or more.

The inspection itself is the same as that done every time a meter reader visits. Provided the meters have been read in the last two years, there should be no need to go down this route. It's only when we haven't seen the meter that this kicks in.

On these visits, we check we have the right details for your meter; that it's in good condition and not damaged or worn in any way; there's no smell of gas and the pipes are in good order; the meter hasn't been tampered with; there's no pitch leaks (a thick black substance used to insulate some meters); and, above all, it's safe and functional.

We don't just turn up though. Once the meter is flagged on our systems as not being checked for about 2 years, we'll contact you to ask to make an appointment. We send out three letters, seven days apart. Where we have the relevant details, these letters are supported with phone calls, texts and emails.

Where we can't make contact and as a last resort, we'll apply to the Courts for a warrant to inspect the meter. We cannot ignore these situations as we've a duty of care to make sure our customers are safe and being charged accurately. We've also responsibilities under the Health Security regulations and industry rules. Not to do this would put us in breach of these regulations.

These rules apply to all suppliers. Where there's been a change of supplier, previous suppliers let the new provider know when they last physically saw the meter. This is part of the switching process.

Hope this helps explain Mercedes187.

“Rubbish firm”

Written on: 07/08/2017 by Liana410 (1 review written)

I have been on hold twice for over 15 minutes to move house - I have not got an Eon account and need to check what is happening about previous home-owners. It is terrible customer service. Even if the care team personally were wonderful I would never use this firm. It is costing me money just trying to speak to a human being… Read Full Review

Written on: 30/08/2017

Hello Liana410 and I'm sorry you've struggled to speak to us.

As I mentioned earlier today in reply to Kochqc454, I agree, call waiting times aren't acceptable at the moment and we need to seriously improve. To help make things better, we're currently taking on and training more advisors so we can plug the gaps.

With your particular query, we've a specialist Home Moves team who look after customers moving in and out of properties. Contact details are on our website. There's also an online form you can use to let us have details of the move. Once received, we'll close the account for the old occupier and open a new one for you.

There's also information on our website about the various tariffs we've available that might save you a bit of money. If you're thinking of changing supplier, make sure you go on to a tariff without exit fees. These leave you free to switch away at any time without penalty.

Our Home Moves team also have advisors on our online Live Chat service as well as our social media channels, twitter and Facebook (private messages can be used to protect your security if you use these channels).

Sorry again for the difficulties talking to us Liana410 and hope you soon settle in to your new home.

Read 1 Comment

“Very poor customer service.”

Written on: 06/08/2017 by Kochqc454 (1 review written)

Impossible to get hold of. Endless hours on hold and anytime of the day. Switched from this supplier as soon as I could and was happy to see the end of them… Read Full Review

Written on: 30/08/2017

Hello Kochqc454 and sorry to lose you but I agree. Call waiting times haven't been what we would've liked of late. No excuses, we're aware this isn't good enough and are working to put it right. This includes taking on more advisors to fill the gaps.

Although this is no longer of any use to you, for the benefit of others, thought I'd mention some of the other ways customers can contact us which might save the hassle of waiting on the phone. On our website, there's our relatively new online Live Chat service. Advisors are online from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and between 8am and 6pm Saturdays.

On the same website page, there's a link to our email service. There are our social media channels too. Advisors are on our twitter and Facebook feeds at similar times to the Live Chatters.

Totally understand, if customers need a specialist area of the business, phone might still be the best way. There are a number of different phone numbers on our website in the 'contact us' section. Although there are still lengthy wait times on some of these numbers, it's not necessarily the case with them all.

Sorry again to lose you Kochqc454 but hope that this shows we are listening to what our customers are telling us.

“New Home Owner”

Written on: 05/07/2017 by 228Black (1 review written)

I have just brought a new home and the previous owner was set up with Eon. I visited their webisite, typed the address and Eon highlighted the preious owner was a customer. I spoke to the Online CHAT service and had written communication with the person I dealt with. He took some deatils, issued me a letter and also a confirmation email for me to check their rates and services so I can now choose the plan for me. All done within 10 minutes from log-on to good-bye… Read Full Review

Written on: 25/07/2017

Hello 228Black and many thanks for your review.

Glad all went well when you spoke to us and that we've set up an account so you can easily change tariff or supplier. There are other online services available to help you manage your account. These include being able to enter meter readings, issue your own bill, set up and look after a Monthly Direct Debit and keep an eye on your usage so you only use what you need.

To take advantage of these services and if you haven't already, you'll need to register with our website. This is easy and can be done fairly quickly.

Thanks again for the review 228Black and hope this helps. Also hope you've settled in to your new home and will be very happy there.

Read 1 Comment

“Useless website, pathetic customer service.”

Written on: 26/06/2017 by McKenzieac217 (1 review written)

Website is useless, wouldn't recognise my customer account number, wouldn't allow me to pay my bill. Customer 'service' by telephone is likewise useless, you'll be kept hanging on the phone endlessly, when you finally get through staff are dismissive and impolite. They need to seriously get their act together, in this day and age in a competitive, incompetence is unacceptable… Read Full Review

Written on: 30/06/2017

Hello McKenzieac217 and sorry you don't like our website. Also sorry the advisors you spoke to weren't more polite.

To register, you only need the account number and post code plus an email address. The account number will be on your bills. If you don't have a bill handy, let us know and we'll tell you the number. To keep your account safe, we'll ask you to confirm some details. This is to make sure we're actually talking to you. These can include your name, the full address and post code, the way you pay, your date of birth, a registered email address or a phone number.

To save you hanging on the phone, we've an online Live Chat service. This is available from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and between 8am and 6pm Saturdays. You don't need to have registered with our website to use this.

When registering, make sure there are no spaces when entering the account number but leave a space in the middle of the post code. On the next page, pop in your email address twice, tick the Terms and Conditions box and then 'continue.' We'll send you an email with a link.

Click on this link and you'll be taken to a page where you can set a password. This password must be at least six characters long with no spaces or symbols. The password is also case sensitive and must contain at least one letter and one number.

Once you've done this, you'll have successfully registered with our website and will be logged in to your online account. This will give you access to the various tools and facilities on the website including making payments, entering meter readings, producing a bill, changing tariff, setting up and managing a Monthly Direct Debit plus more.

You can, though, pay online without registering with our website. To do this, please go to 'My Account' at the top of the screen and choose 'make a payment.'

Hope this helps point you in the right direction McKenzieac217.

“Switching Supplier”

Written on: 17/06/2017 by Clark496 (1 review written)

I am in the process of switching from Scottish Power to E.on via USwitch. The process should be seamless, but I have found it to be far from that. As of 13 June 2017 I am still unable to verify my exact closing / opening balances with the two respective companies. I have contacted E.on on several occasions to verify opening metre readings etc, and to set up my on-line account, but owing to them not supplying me with an account number and their online system being down (13 June 2017) and… Read Full Review

Written on: 22/06/2017

Hello Clark496 and I'm sorry you've had so many difficulties with your switch.

We certainly did have significant issues with our website last week and they did take longer to sort than expected. Our Live Chat service works through the website and was similarly impacted. As the website failed, Live Chat discussions were automatically taken down too. All's back up and running now.

Account numbers are created as soon as we receive a request to join us. We can soon let you know what it is if you're still waiting for the number. It'll also be included with the Welcome Pack we send.

With a change of supplier, it's important the old supplier closes their account to the same readings we use to start our account. This makes sure the same energy is only charged once. It's our responsibility to send these readings to the old supplier. They go through a third party who checks they're in line with past usage for the property. Once the readings have been confirmed, they'll go to both suppliers to be used on their respective opening and closing bills.

Switches usually complete in about two and half weeks. This will be your supply start date but it'll take longer before the account itself is fully up and running. As well as the readings above, we also need to let other third parties know about the change of supplier. These include the energy distributors, meter operators, national databases and meter readers. This is done via a series of electronic messages.

Once the account is fully live, the billing and chosen tariff will be backdated to the supply start date. Also, if you've registered with our website, there'll be certain features you're unable to use until the account is fully live. Once you've registered with our website, you'll be able to see how things are going through the 'Track My Switch' tool.

Thank you for joining us Clark496 and sorry again for the difficulties you've had.

“Avoid avoid avoid ”

Written on: 14/06/2017 by TrippTempleton125 (1 review written)

Avoid them, they will do nothing but cause you stress thro their incompetence and once your signed up they can caus you years worth of problems with their childish approach to your credit file. They have over five years caused me endless sleepless nights and almost lost me a half a million pound property deal. Eventually I contacted their CEO when I explained that 4years of ongoing incompetence and a number of close shaves £37 compensation was not acceptable and refused to be bullied they… Read Full Review

Written on: 16/06/2017

Hello TrippTempleton125 and I'm sorry we've made you feel this way.

Given what you say, it looks like you're at the end of our complaints process. If this is the case, you're doing the right thing in going to the Energy Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will ask us for your case notes and carry out a full and independent investigation. They'll report back to both you and us. Whilst their findings are binding on us, they're not on you leaving you free to seek further advice and assistance if necessary.

If we have reached the end of our complaints process, we'll send you a Final Resolution Offer Letter (also known as a deadlock letter). This will detail our final position and will help when approaching the Ombudsman. There's more information about how we look after complaints on our website.

Hopefully, with the Ombudsman's help, we can find an acceptable resolution for you.

“Just the Job”

Written on: 05/06/2017 by 172Cooley (1 review written)

I have been with eon for many years and have had zero problems. Sometimes have had to wait a couple of minutes to get through on the phone but probably shorter than many call centres. Received a letter re changing my gas meter, rang the number given, phone answered straight away, very personable lady made an appointment at my convenience and explained about the option of having smart meters installed and was up front about them possibly not working if I wanted to change supplier. Engineer… Read Full Review

Written on: 16/06/2017

That's great 172Cooley. Glad all went as it should and many thanks for taking the time to post this review.

You're right about smart meters possibly losing smart functions following a change of supplier. Our advisors are trained to let customers know about this possibility before confirming a meter exchange.

The loss of smart functions is only temporary until all suppliers use a centralised database. This is the Data Communications Company (DCC) and they'll look after the Smart network for all suppliers. They'll pass meter readings to the current supplier. Not sure when this will be in place. The aim is for customers to be able to switch supplier without losing smart capability. To help with this, we're also looking at a new type of smart meter as well as adapting existing meters to make changing supplier with smart more straightforward.

Thanks again for the positive review 172Cooley and hope the information is of interest. Have a good weekend.

Read 1 Comment

“Never read metres, charge £100s per month.”

Written on: 04/05/2017 by DeborahDay (2 reviews written)

This is a very money orientated aggressive company. I was with them for just over two years paying £228 per month for a four bedroom house. When I decided to leave them I was told my final bill was just under £1000 which I paid to get away from them. Months later I received a second final bill for over £1000. They haven't even bothered to read the meter and keep quoting terms and conditions. They then put me through to a very aggressive legal team. I have to go to court for this bill and… Read Full Review

Eonhelp's Response to DeborahDay's Review

Written on: 05/05/2017

Hello DeborahDay and I'm sorry you weren't happy with the way we looked after your account.

When you switched to another supplier, was the first final bill estimated? If I might explain.

It's the new supplier that drives a switch. They let the third parties within the energy industry involved with the supply know about the changed circumstances. These include the energy distributors, meter operators, national databases, meter readers and data management. As part of this, they send the meter readings they intend to use to start their account to the old supplier. The old supplier uses the same readings to close their account and issue a final bill.

These readings go via a third party (Data Management) who checks that they're in line with previous readings held for the property. This can sometimes result in a delay. After a time, an estimated final bill will be issued. Once we receive verified readings from the third party, we'll rebill to these. Not saying this happened here, it's just something that can happen and will result in a second revised final bill being issued.

The same readings will also be sent to the new supplier who'll use them to start their account. It's important both the old and new supplier end/start their accounts to the same readings. This makes sure the same energy is only charged once.

We're happy to accept meter readings from customers and provide various ways for them to be sent. This includes online through our website, phone app or Live Chat service, by phone or text, email or letter. The more readings we have, the more accurate accounts are. From what you say, I suspect we issued a number of estimated bills where we had under-estimated the amount of energy being used. This would've meant the Monthly Direct Debit wasn't covering the actual costs of this energy and resulted in a catch up once we had accurate meter readings.

I'm speculating a lot here DeborahDay and sorry if I'm off track.

“Bunch of incompetants”

Written on: 18/04/2017 by AngryDan (1 review written)

In 2014, I found I was approx. 1400 pounds in credit as result of e-on failure to adjust, my direct debit. I asked for 800 pounds immediate refund. After much argument, I was eventually informed that e-on computer had failed to register the night time readings on my single economy 7 meter which had 2 EMPAN numbers (for which I was being charged 2 monthly standing charges) and I had not been charged for the night readings for 2 years. E-on refused to honour their commitment under the power… Read Full Review

Eonhelp's Response to AngryDan's Review

Written on: 20/04/2017

Hello and hope you don't mind if I speculate a little.

From what you've said, I don't think the old meter was a straightforward Economy 7. It sounds like it was Heatwise with Economy 7. These were designed mainly for all electric properties with storage heaters and electric water immersion heaters. They were set up to give 10 hours of cheaper off peak electricity during every 24 hours for heating and hot water. This was split into 3 time slots during the afternoon, in the evening and at night. This was the Heatwise part.

To work, the meter will have been wired into the heating/water heating circuits. Unless manually overridden, this lets the meter automatically turn the heating on during the off peak periods and off again afterwards.

The Heatwise will have been part of a conventional Economy 7 so, as well as cheaper electricity for heating, you'll have had 7 continuous hours of off peak electricity at night for all usage. There'll have been one meter with 5 different readings. Two for normal usage (day and night) plus three more to record heating usage coming through the dedicated circuits. This is why there were two MPANs - one for the Economy 7 and a second for the Heatwise. Originally each MPAN had a daily standing charge but we took away the Heatwise one on 18 January 14. Although your bills would still have shown it, the charge was set at zero.

Heatwise with Economy 7 is no longer available. A direct replacement is Economy 10. These are wired into the relevant heating circuits in the same way as the old Heatwise so the heating/hot water can be used as under the old metering set up. One difference is, with the new Economy 10 meters, all electricity used during the 10 off peak hours is charged at the cheaper prices.

Conventional Economy 7 meters are still available and you could've had one fitted at no charge. It may, though, not have suited the heating at your home. A common complaint with storage heaters is a tendency to leak heat and to cool down too early. This is why the industry came up with multi rate meters like Heatwise and Economy 10. As above, as well as an off peak night period, these meters charge up in the afternoon and evening. This ‘tops up’ the stored heat to help properties stay warm throughout the day. With Economy 7, all the off peak hours are in one block at night so no 'top ups' during the day. Sometimes, customers need to arrange and pay for a qualified electrician to carry out some re-wiring too. Depends on the circumstances.

Switching objections are sometimes down to a metering issue. If there are still two MPANs registered on the national database all suppliers use to put switches through, your new supplier needs to apply for both. Often they only apply for one and this automatically leads to an objection. Although, if the Economy 10 meter only has two readings, one of your two MPANs can be cancelled. We can do this for you. Once done, the switch should go through.

I'm sorry we didn't send you a bill for nearly two years but pleased it appears we were able to apply the Billing Code. As you say, where this code applies, we won't charge for any unbilled energy used more than 12 months from the point the problem was fixed.

Sorry, too, if my speculation is wide of the mark.

Read 1 Comment

“overcharging on account on a fixed direct debit”

Written on: 24/03/2017 by McMahanik267 (1 review written)

can to end of the year and charged me £325 extra payment on my account instead of increasing my direct debit payment i been with them 3 years and no indication of price increase awful service on complaining only offered £10 refund for them not increase my monthly direct debit will switch to another supplier as soon as possible do not recommend to anyone… Read Full Review

Written on: 31/03/2017

Hello. It sounds like your Monthly Direct Debit hasn't been covering the amount of energy used.

Have your bills been based on actual meter readings or were a number estimated? If under-estimated, a catch up bill will be issued once we receive actual readings. These catch ups can come as a bit of a shock. That's why it's always best, where possible, to give us meter readings.

Monthly Direct Debits are based on current prices and past usage. A change to either can trigger an increase at the next review. We look to spread payments as evenly as possible over a full 12 months with the aim of achieving as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual review.

As well as usage, a change to the unit prices can have an impact. Have you recently come to the end of a discounted fixed tariff? We haven't raised our standard variable prices in over 3 years although we've an increase coming on 26 April 17. We've had a number of heavily discounted products ending recently. As with many special offers, they had a restricted shelf life. At the moment, the market has changed and recent products haven't been so competitive. If you were on one of these products, this will have had an effect.

To make sure accounts are on track for a zero balance, we review arrangements every 3 months. We only make changes, though, at the mid-point and annual reviews. At the other times, we let customers know if we think there should be a change but leave it up to them to make any alterations. At these interim reviews and where we believe a change is needed, we put a message on bills asking customers to contact us about it.

Have we suggested putting your payments up before? Usually, where we do, we'll include the arrears that have built up due to under-estimating the amount of energy used and spread this up to the next annual review.

There's a service on our website to give customers more control over these arrangements including being able to change the monthly amount. It's the Direct Debit Manager and comes in handy should circumstances change. Provided a customer has registered with our website and the account has been billed to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll say by how much we expect the account to be in credit/debit by the annual review if the payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected.

Sorry for the questions and if my speculation is wide of the mark.

“Boiler survey install”

Written on: 02/03/2017 by Sandy50 (1 review written)

I booked a boiler install survey. I was told the surveyed would call to give me a time, they did not call. Called customer services and fobbed off with false assurances. I was told the engineer would call and still no call. Bad bad company and I have avoided an expensive potentially dangerous mistake by getting these muppets in to fit a boiler if they can't get this simple tasks right… Read Full Review

Eonhelp's Response to Sandy50's Review

Written on: 03/03/2017

Hello Sandy50 and sorry we haven't been in touch about a boiler installation.

Is this to fit a boiler under the Government led Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme or is it part of the special offer we're running up to 18 March 17 where we're knocking £400 off the cost? I ask because the two are separate and different areas of the business are looking after each one.

The ECO scheme is for home owners or those who rent from a private landlord. It's based on receiving certain benefits and the existing boiler being broken or faulty and over 5 years old. Enquiries for this are dealt with by our ECO team and their contact details are on our website in the 'Help and Support' section.

The £400 offer is open to anyone, even if we don't supply them, and there aren't any qualifications needed. This offer is being dealt with by the E.ON Install team. Again, contact details are on our website under 'Help and Support.'

Both schemes are being looked after by specialist advisors who can see details our Customer Service teams can't. Best to talk to these specialists. Our Customer Services should've put you through to them when you called and I'm sorry they didn't.

Sandy50's reply to Eonhelp's Comment

Written on: 03/03/2017

It was the £400 off team and I called that team for support. Unfortunately right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and wasted a day of my time waiting for a non -existent surveyor. As I said initially a lucky escape if you can't get that right

Eonhelp's reply to Sandy50's Comment

Written on: 09/03/2017

Sorry we let you down Sandy50 and thank you for letting me know.

Read 3 Comments

“Terrible Service”

Written on: 18/02/2017 by 430McDonald (1 review written)

I phoned E-on help line to try sort out a problem. However, the biggest problem is getting someone to answer the phone. They not only play awful music but constantly tell you "We are sorry for the delay" what a load of rubbish. I held on for 29 minutes and in the end they beat me. I had to hang up before I hung myself. I then dialed the New Customer Line. I could not even get through on that. WARNING KEEP AWAY FROM E-ON if you want any sort of customer service… Read Full Review

Written on: 22/02/2017

Hello 430McDonald and sorry you were on hold for so long and didn't like the messages/music. Has the problem been sorted? What was it?

There are other ways to contact us which might save you the hassle of waiting on the phone. Have a look at the new online Live Chat service on our website. Advisors are online from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and between 8am and 6pm Saturdays. They'll be happy to chat.

On the same page, there's a link to our email service. There are our social media channels too. Advisors are on our twitter and Facebook feeds at similar times to the Live Chatters.

Sorry again for the delay but hope this gives you some different options should you need us in the future.

“RIP OFF COMPANY!!!”

Written on: 09/12/2016 by Kye1100 (1 review written)

After leaving my previous property 3 years ago, I get a bill for £1555, when I rang them Im told actually it is £2888-76p. After 4 resolution managers that promised to help,I was told not to call them again as they did not know what had gone wrong. I paid my bills weekly, yet Eon say I haven't paid a penny. I went to the ombudsman who states in his report that customer service is totally failing, yet finds that they should give me £50, an apology and I pay the money back, which I have… Read Full Review

Eonhelp's Response to Kye1100's Review

Written on: 14/01/2017

Hello Kye1100 and sorry you've had such a bad time with us.

Sounds like your payments have been misdirected so your old account is showing charges for usage only but no payments. The bills we sent at the time will have shown this. Did you raise this with us then? If you did, there'll be notes on the account we might be able to use.

As you made weekly payments through a Post Office, there should be a paper trail to help track them down. You've probably already been asked this and sorry for repeating but, in these situations, we need the date the payment was made, method of payment, the full amount paid and the number on the receipt. Totally appreciate it's 3 years ago but we do need something to work with.

Also looks as though bills were estimated at first and then billed up to date once we had actual readings causing a catch up bill to be raised. Although we try to read meters more often, we're only legally obliged to do this every 2 years. We're always happy to accept a customer's readings though and provide many ways to do this including online through our website or phone app, by phone or text, email or letter.

Do you know why we changed the meter?

Although the Ombudsman's decision is binding on us, it's not on you. You can certainly take this further.

I'm guessing a lot here and sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

“no problems with eon”

Written on: 02/11/2016 by zebdog (1 review written)

Never really had any problems with eon, apart from when I changed my bank account details and my direct debit went up by £7 and there was no way I could change it, however I was emailed by eon to say my direct debit was going down to the original price I was paying and they would refund me my credit balance. (possibly because I was coming to the end of my contract) but I found submitting meter readings easy and navigating the online account easy. would like to stay with them but sadly they are… Read Full Review

Eonhelp's Response to zebdog's Review

Written on: 14/01/2017

Hello zebdog and sorry for the late reply.

Glad you've generally been pleased with the way we've looked after you and totally understand about our current prices.

On the Direct Debit, when you changed the bank details did you also alter the collection date? This can sometimes cause an increase. It takes a couple of weeks for banks to update and can lead to a payment being missed. To make sure accounts are on track for as near as possible to a zero balance by the annual review, the arrangement might have been reviewed to account for this. Guessing though.

There's a tool on our website to give you more control over these arrangements. It's the Direct Debit Manager. Provided you've registered with our website, you can use this tool to change the monthly payments to better suit different circumstances. If the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we expect the account to be in credit/debit if the payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected.

At the annual review, any credit balance over a fiver is automatically refunded and the arrangement reviewed based on the last 12 months usage and current prices. I suspect this is what happened here.

Many thanks for taking the time to post this review zebdog and sorry again for the late reply. Sorry, too, if my guesswork is off beam.

Shazawhelan's Response to zebdog's Review

Written on: 14/03/2017

This is clearly a fake review. Anyone who would give this company a 5 star rating must be on drugs.

Eonhelp's reply to Shazawhelan's Comment

Written on: 16/03/2017

Have we done something to upset you Shazawhelan? Anything I can help with or advise about?

Zebdog's reply to Shazawhelan's Comment

Written on: 16/03/2017

No its not fake. Speak as u find I was happy with the service I received from eon and would have stayed with them if their price was competitive but sadly it wasnt. Dont get the drugs bit.

Eonhelp's reply to Zebdog's Comment

Written on: 17/03/2017

As above Zebdog, totally understand about our prices but glad we gave you decent service. Sorry to lose you.

Read 5 Comments

“Data Protection - no!”

Written on: 21/10/2016 by 389Peck (1 review written)

Totally inaccurate records, wrongly recorded me as having storage heating, having two electricity supplies, wrongly objected to me switching to a new supplier based on their faulty records re the supply, wrote to me to inform me of the objection but listed an entirely wrong account number. When contacted to inform them of the problems, the call taker asked me ' What do you expect me to do, I've apologised for a human error'… Read Full Review

Written on: 14/01/2017

Hello 389Peck and sorry for the late reply.

Also sorry the advisor you spoke to didn't do more to help or explain what had happened.

Guessing but this sounds as though storage heaters were fitted at some time in the past. I often come across properties where they were originally fitted but replaced as electric heating can be expensive. It could be we weren't told so wouldn't know a change had taken place. If they were fitted, they often come with a specific type of meter that gives cheaper off peak electricity at certain times of the day for heating and hot water. If I might explain.

Storage heaters are insulated boxes containing bricks with electric elements running through them. They charge up during the cheaper off peak times. The bricks retain the heat which is then released gradually throughout the day. A common complaint with storage heaters is a tendency to leak heat and to cool down too early. As a result, the industry came up with multi rate meters like Heatwise and Economy 10. As well as an off peak night period, these meters charge up in the afternoon and evening. This ‘tops up’ the stored heat to help properties stay warm throughout the day.

To work, the meter is wired directly into the heating/water heating circuits at properties. This lets the meter automatically turn the heating on during the off peak periods and off again afterwards. During the off peak times, all electricity used for heating/water heating that goes through these dedicated circuits is recorded as separate meter readings.

With this type of set up, there are two meter supply numbers. One for electricity used for the heating as above and a second for all other electricity used.

When switching with this type of meter, the new company needs to apply for both supply numbers. If they don't, the switch will be rejected. You'll need to let the company know so they can re-apply for both supply numbers.

Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree but hope this explains why the switch might have been rejected. Sorry again for the late reply and hope you've now managed to switch.