Selman Nickel Plated Euphonium #2431N Reviews

• Appearance

Selman Nickel Plated Euphonium #2431N - Ask a question now

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“For close to $270, this isn't a bad horn. I'm an...”

Written on: 17/09/2008

For close to $270, this isn't a bad horn. I'm an education major at Brooklyn College Conservatory of Music and I recently purchased a Selman to play in the Wind Ensemble. It's a beautiful horn with excellent response. The tone quality is not of a Besson or King but then again, this horn is less than 1/4 of the name brands. It feels like a pro-model horn in my hands. The large bore definitely gives it that "big boy" feel. The nickel finish gives the tone a bright sound. The case is one hell of a… Read Full Review

“2008 Selman Euphonium: (laquered Brass). It is very...”

Written on: 17/08/2008 by dsbuchanan (1 review written)

2008 Selman Euphonium: (laquered Brass). It is very nice looking and came with an attractive case (not bullet proof but should do OK for me). The tone is good but the tuning slide is out about as far as it can go. I don't understand why it is built so sharp unless it is to compensate for India's hot weather. It came with a mouthpiece which seems adequate but the receiver tube is slightly too large for my standard mouthpieces. A thin tape shim allows them to fit. The rotary valves are the German… Read Full Review

Dsbuchanan's Response to dsbuchanan's Review

Written on: 01/09/2008

My initial review has several incorrect statements. The mouthpiece receiver is not nonstandard. It is designed for large shank mouthpieces which are the currant standard. My opinion that the instrument is too biased toward sharpness is also incorrect. When initially evaluating tuning I was using a faulty standard. The valve action is improved since I started using a proper roter oil rather than Holton valve oil. After several concerts and practice sessions I am much more pleased with the instrument.

Read 1 Comment

“As I said, I wasn't sure howv my Selman Nickel Plated...”

Written on: 18/07/2008

As I said, I wasn't sure howv my Selman Nickel Plated Euphonium purchase would turn out, reading some comments I've seen. I think this company has come a long way, though, and is now making a very nice instrument. From what I can tell, a lot of the people that speak badly about these have never even tried one. I also read some reports of these Selman instruments having a lot of manufacturing crud inside and needing to be flushed out before use (or valve scoring would occur). That was completely… Read Full Review