Crown Matt Emulsion Reviews

Crown Matt Emulsion - Ask a question now

“what have you done”

Written on: 01/03/2022 by avoidcrown (1 review written)

always used it but what have you done crown paints it now awful , will not be using again Terrible to use and looks terrible ,

“Think very long and hard before you buy”

Written on: 25/10/2017 by KarlieKearns311 (1 review written)

What on earth has happened to Crown paints? I have used them in the past and have always been pleased with the result. I have spent a fair bit of money on samples to get the shade I was looking for. I eventually found Crown Halls and Stairways and, although the sample was watery, it eventually dried to the ideal colour. I have spent hours today painting a very small part of my room. The paint is watery, shows every brushstroke, has not covered the light paint under it - it looks more like I have applied a coat of varnish!! Patchy and awful. Having read these reviews, which I wish I had checked before, I won't waste any more time and energy. It's back to Dulux for me. Hopefully their quality has not plummeted. Will never buy Crown again, sadly.

“Don't' Even Think About it!!”

Written on: 25/02/2017 by Dave890 (1 review written)

Bought Crown Ivory White, Matt, Breathe Easy Emulsion Paint. Absolutely hopeless finish; patchy with poor covering of wall. Desperately keen to get room finished ASAP for guests arriving bought same paint in "Solo" as the advertising said one coat will do it. With this Solo Paint "Poor finish" is an understatement! Walls appear rough after application and very irregular in finish. Now will have to wait till fully dry and spend much time sanding down surfaces again before painting with alternative manufacturer's paint. So far I've spent in excess of £65 on Crown paint and I am now in a worse decorative state than when I started. Never again will I purchase Crown Paint and I question if it would meet the Trades description Act.

“don't bother”

Written on: 18/11/2016 by ivO'Neil368 (1 review written)

can said stir well before use I did stir again and again and it was still watery , paint wouldn't even cover a light magnolia underneath , a waste of time even trying .

“10L Crown matt white ”

Written on: 01/05/2016 by ywCox272 (1 review written)

Bought this on a deal 2 for £20 wish I stuck to the Dulux my original. It is taking 4 coats to cover white over white. I have a room with chocolate walls still to do, I will be going back with other tub and buying the Dulux. Also it dries as quick as you apply it

“So disappointing”

Written on: 26/02/2016 by 1978Lyons (1 review written)

I can't believe how they can sell this paint still when I've read reviews here from 2010 with the same issues! I didn't have any probs applying on the rocks Matt emulsion and the finish looks good but as everyone has stated the slightest touch and it marks and if you try and wipe it off you are left with a dirty patch where you wiped which means the roller is constantly out touching it up and it's only been painted two weeks. There are no kids in our house and we are careful so this is ridiculous! I have a can of Crown to repaint our bedroom, sadly I can't get a refund as I bought ages ago and the receipt is long gone but I won't be using it as I have better things to do with my life than constantly retouching paint. I will be advising everyone I know not to touch Crown paint though. Seriously Crown! Stop trading or do something about it!

“Very poor paint”

Written on: 15/11/2015 by wtCassidy92 (1 review written)

I cannot believe that crown, which I always took to be a quality company, would supply and sell a paint so bad, multiple coats will not cover, it looks dreadful.

“Impossible to clean”

Written on: 04/10/2015 by Aguirre1961 (1 review written)

If you lean against wall leaves a mark which you can't clean

“Streaky and tins are different colours!”

Written on: 03/06/2015 by MathiasNewman (1 review written)

shocking paint, but not sure if its just B&Q stock thats bad. We bought two tins from Homebase that were more expensive than B&Q's and that paint went on fine. The tins we bought from B&Q though were dreadful! Streaky, different colours so we cant even touch up one room we did for fear of making things worse and I now have to re-cut in all the paintwork already done on one room since I ran out of one tin and the second coat dried a completely different colour! I bought crown thinking it was quality paint, but it really is rubbish!

“Crown Emulsion Paint”

Written on: 31/05/2015 by hbDickinson211 (1 review written)

I too wish I had seen these reviews before spending weeks of work and spending about £100 on Crown paint for our large lounge, painted on new plaster after more than 5 coats on some walls the effect is still patchy (and I was only using a very light colour, Antique Cream). I then gave up and thought it was the best job I could do and resigned myself on having to put pictures over bits I was unhappy with. However, carpet fitters came and laid carpet and the walls now look like they were painted years ago, dirty and shiny marks all over them from even the slightest touch. Marks do not wipe off without paint coming with them. Will now have to redo all my painting and pay for a much better quality of paint. Waste of time and money and a lot of stress. Will never buy again.

“Crown Indulgence - Terrible”

Written on: 17/03/2015

Bought this on special offer from B&Q which seemed like a great deal - it really WAS too good to be true! The paint is a nightmare!! You could not get rid of the streaks and patches or brush marks despite coat after coat - by far the WORST paint I have ever used. It looked like a five year old had been let loose with a paint brush. Resolved the problem by going to a decor shop and having some Leyland paint mixed in a similar colour. Wish we had read the previous reviews.

“rubbish”

Written on: 24/02/2015 by EvelynO'Neil (1 review written)

bought 4 X 10L buckets from B&Q 7 coats later my hall still looks grey and patchey. Cloakroom with new plaster was expected to take a few coats however again 7 coats and you can still see through it. Cant get a refund due to reciepts lost, off to get some one coat now.

“Breatheasy Matt ”

Written on: 10/02/2015 by jinty70 (1 review written)

Painted all our hallway (which has a high ceiling) and doors with this paint and wished we hadn't. Wherever you put your hands on any of the woodwork it ends up looking really dirty, which happened a very short time after it had been painted. Trying to clean it is near impossible. We tried cleaning fluids and even used bath cleaning cream to get dirty marks off, which eventually worked but needed lots of elbow grease!! Now we need to repaint!! Terrible paint that we won't use ever again!! People do NOT buy!

“NOT WHAT I EXPECTED”

Written on: 15/01/2015 by McCurdyhz323 (1 review written)

i bought magnolia matt from a diy shop 2 years ago and it was rubbish, thought id give it another go and got it from a builders merchants still rubbish, NEVER again it makes a simple job real hard

“Watery”

Written on: 11/11/2014 by Zayden120 (1 review written)

Watery paint that drips and does not cover. As you roll over where you have just been, it lifts off! Second coat as bad as the first, going to give up on it and buy a different brand. I will take it back to the shop and try for a refund!? I thought Crown was supposed to be good! Don't like anything about it.

“Total and Utter Pants”

Written on: 31/10/2014 by HeliWeli (1 review written)

What a total waste of money, three coats and counting and the paint still not covers properly, we thought we would try Crown for a change always thinking it was supposed to be good, wish I'd read the reviews first! Even if you applied it with a trowel it still won't cover nicely. Will be cutting my losses now and finding an equivalent colour in Dulux and starting all over again. I didn't like anything about this paint it's total utter rubbish!

“Over coating”

Written on: 21/09/2014 by AmirahMoss243 (1 review written)

Bought Crown Matt Emulsion from B&Q, bad idea. I have always done my own decorating over the last 45 years but have never used a worse emulsion. Cutting in with a brush was terrible. Paint came back off with return stroke so had to lay it on too thick so that when roller used the brushed coat took 4/5 coates to match. A terrible product that should not be on the shelves at any store. No wonder it's on offer at the moment????

“Crown Emulsion impossible to use”

Written on: 18/09/2014

I know there have been a lot of changes to what you can put in paint so that may impact on how easy it is to use . . . . BUT the crown ivory cream I am trying to put up in a previously all white bedroom is completely rubbish! So demoralising spending so much time on a project and you just can't get it right. Am on to my third coat of paint, already planning my fourth and it's still patchy, and what a previous reviewer said is true! Where you cut in the corners with a brush it dries a completely different colour! The surface dries bubbly and holds the brushmarks if you use it as it is but if you thin the paint it doesn't cover at all. Exactly the colour I want, even across the variations of colour you get it's in the ball park of what I'm looking for, but you just can't achieve one even colour! Value for money? Could have earnt enough money to buy decent paint AND pay a professional to do it for me in the time it's taken me to try and do myself.

“Crown Luxury Matt emulsion - trust me, just don't...”

Written on: 25/08/2014 by chaholl (3 reviews written)

Bought a few tins of Crown Luxury Matt emulsion to paint a sitting room. Without doubt the worst paint I have ever used. It's a completely different shade when applied with a brush compared to when applied with a roller. The difference is such that you could easily spot it when walking past the window from the street outside! I applied three coats in all. The first two with a roller, before finally abandoning that idea and going for a brush for the final coat so it'd match the cut-in's. It's now mostly the same shade, but it's no longer matt due to the brush marks. Worse still, as soon as you touch it, it changes to a lighter shade. If Rubik's made paint, this would be it. Thankfully Dulux do colour matching so I'm off down there to buy something similar to cover this mess. Wish I'd done that in the first place and saved a load of time and money. Trust me, don't touch it.

“Crown paints are rubbish”

Written on: 17/07/2014 by MakenzieFlanagan (1 review written)

I have now used two tins of Crown silk emulsion on a small kitchen and after three coats the results are still very patchy. This despite the new colour being a very similar colour to the last paint job. Very frustrating!