Stein's Fish And Chips (Rick Stein), Padstow, Cornwall Reviews

1.9
  • Quality of service

• Quality of food

“Fish excellent,chips not so”

written by Bramble8 on 31/12/2023

A little disappointing, The fish as always exceptional! However, the chips were far from satisfactory, dry tasteless and black Resembled the end of the day last fry up I of course will go back, and hopefully the usual brilliant standards will resume As a post script went to Rick Steins Bistro two nights ago which was off the charts brilliant!

“best food”

written by Sheridanfh66 on 09/09/2023

haven't really tasted such authentic cuideine and fresness in eating out. Have recommended to my brother in law who isd a big fan of this kind of food. Pricy but you pay for quality and style. Will visit again.

“Disappointing takeaway”

written by ueGunn59 on 26/04/2023

Having visited many times before and received good food, I was very disappointed with the offerings of my last (and final!) takeaway of fish and chips. The fish was good, the batter nice and crunchy in parts, soggy in other parts but the chips or batter bits as this is what they resembled were hard and mostly inedible, they all went in the bin. I am prepared to pay the inflated prices for a treat and acceptable food but this was a waste of money and unfortunately I will not be chancing the menu again. I will add that the cheesecake remains a must to try.

“Stein's Fish and Chips”

written by CarterEric on 17/02/2021

The cod and chips were always fine. Especially when all the sides are extracted, it is a bit pricey. Fish tastes fantastic.

“Overrated”

written by Roger.C on 04/12/2013

Its all hot air, their food isn't much tasty and has to send it back to get reheated when they gave me cold chips. Won't be visiting in a hurry not recommended considering current service and food quality.

“Below Average”

written by Jerry1233 on 07/08/2013

Served by a Polish girl who hardly spoke English, until her colleague could see she was struggling and took over to complete my order. This took something away from 'the experience'. The Fish was nice but the chips were not good at all. When you are paying top money for Fish & Chips and Rick Stein has put his name to it, you expect something a little special, but it didn't deliver. How hard can it be to create good quality chips? My local chippy does so with no fanfare and low prices, so why can't Rick Stein do the same? Overall, a very underwhelming experience.

“Very disappointed”

written by on 05/12/2012

Soggy batter, chips not fresh. Travelled a distance, what a waste of time and money!!!

“Best Fish-n-chips in Padstow ! Yea right.”

written by on 28/09/2012

Four of us were recently on holiday at Pendogget near Padstow, (September 2012) so while in Padstow, we, like many others just had to try Rick Stein’s Fish & Chips. I think I have been in better transport cafe’s, very noisy place to sit and eat and definitely not that comfortable. We decided to eat in the restaurant if that’s what it is, rather than takeaway and eat elsewhere. The meal was served up in a “cardboard box”, just as it would have been if taken away! It costs extra to eat in and I would have at least expected a warm plate to eat off of. Cod chips and mushy peas was the order of the day. The cod was ok though not that much of it especially for the money, but the batter was to my liking and not all soggy. But the chips were awful and the mushy peas were just a horrible green liquid, which I dipped a horrible chip into and put the lid back on. Nowhere near the standard I would expect from a “RICK STEIN” establishment. The best I can say from my experience is that, it is highly overrated and overpriced. Ok I expected it to be expensive, but I also expected something special. I have had better and I have certainly had much worse, but not from a celebrity chef? This is an establishment that many thousands of holidaymakers will go to just the once to say they have sampled Rick Stein’s fish-n-chips and as long as holiday makers keep doing so he will be raking in many thousands of our hared earned pounds and continue to serve up nothing more then average fish-n-chips at above average prices, knowing full well that we are only ever likely to go there the once. How lucky he is to be in that position. My local chip shop Ian’s at Cullompton wins hands down.

“Is anyone at the Rick Steins's empire listening to...”

written by anuradhabhatt on 29/01/2012

Rick Steins's chippy in Padstow is my favourite in all of Uk. The few times I've visited when in Cornwall, the food has been excellent, service so-so, atmosphere outside on the harbour front fantastic and you only had to fight the gulls to get at your food. However, reading the reviews here, has been a little upsetting. With so many negative write ups, hasn't anyone from the business tried to improve the customer experience? Do these celebrity chefs actually care what the humble man, the paying customer actually think? Or is Mr. Stein busy looking after Australia?

Nitramsivad's Response to anuradhabhatt's Review

Written on: 22/10/2012

I have just returned and was appalled how bad the chips where. Its absolutely disgusting. Rick is one of my food hero's so the fact that something as basic as a chip is being served so badly and an overinflated price is disgusting. He should be ashamed.

“Trading on a name”

written by beardypete on 16/10/2011

Hi, Actually, disappointment doesn't really say how I feel about the quality of the cod and chips that I was served at the Fish and Chip restaurant/cafe on the 12th of October - it was more a feeling of anger at being ripped off. We'd travelled 360 miles to visit Cornwall and part of the holiday was always going to be a day in Padstow and a chance to sample some Rick Stein tasty seafood. Whilst the Seafood Restaurant was always going to be too expensive for us to contemplate, we were looking forward to enjoying quality fish and chips that had the Rick Stein stamp of approval - well, it wasn't to be... I expected beautiful flaky cod in a good tasty batter, but the fish was mushy and bland. A good half the chips were hard enough to be inedible and they were tasteless too. The tartar sauce was essentially just mayo with some bits of green leaf added - what happened to the capers and gherkin flavours? The staff were unsmiling and tired-looking and they put the top hat on things - in fact, the only good thing about the visit was that my wife came away feeling great about my compliments regarding the superiority of her cooking. I'd like to suggest that someone takes the time to visit anonymously to check out the quality of the food - the Rick Stein name shouldn't be attached to what is a expensive and mediocre offering. As things are, I can't imagine anyone revisiting the place - do you have any info on customer satisfaction in recent times, or does the fact that there are always going to be lots of first-time customers in this busy holiday town mean that retention isn't an issue? So, all in all, I reckon I can only give a score of 3 out of 10, how I wish it could have been a 10 out of 10 experience. Yours, wondering if this business is just a cash cow trading on a name, Pete Clayton Hadfield in Derbyshire

“Rip off 'Celebrity' Food”

written by on 06/07/2011

The way Rick Stein talks about food you would expect a marvelous experience going to his Fish & Chip shop! I would only describe the over priced meal (£8+)of Cod and Chips as disgusting. I know chips are not very good in most take aways but the miserable little portion of dry, grey looking fish was absolutely terrible. You can get better from Icelands freezers! If you want a good meal, try Port Issac where you can get a vastly superior offering for around £5.

“Sadly disappointed, The service was terrible If I was...”

written by on 25/04/2011

Sadly disappointed, The service was terrible If I was honest I was slightly shocked by the lack of respect the food got from the staff not something I expected. I had the monkfish which was freshly cooked and really nice but frankly not worth the 11 pound price tag. My partner had the haddock but his batter was really soggy and the chips are terrible and leave a real after taste in your mouth.

Definiatley not worth the trip, I have had better fish and chips from my local.

“Expensive. Nothing special. After I had eaten it felt...”

written by on 23/03/2011

Expensive. Nothing special. After I had eaten it felt like I had lead in my stomach. Cannot recommend.

“I thought, that being in Cornwall I should visit...”

written by on 01/02/2011

I thought, that being in Cornwall I should visit Stein's famous fish and chip bar. Crikey, what a disappointment! A measly small piece of haddock in a thin coating of batter, with chips that aren't even made onsite (total £12 with a pint of beer which was actually the brilliant bit, highly recommended!). Abysmal. 1st February and no queue whatsoever, I'd be gutted if I'd have waited for 30 minutes like others! Go to Grimsby instead if you want decent Fish & Chips....

“The fish and chips were good, but was a bit unhappy...”

written by on 02/12/2010

The fish and chips were good, but was a bit unhappy that when I wanted form Tomato Sauce, I had a buy a sachet of Heinz Ketchup for 35p.

Come on Rick Stein stop being so tight and provide some complementary HOMEMADE tomato sauce you're not MacDonalds.

“ Oysters gave me and my husband awful sickness and...”

written by on 15/10/2010

Oysters gave me and my husband awful sickness and upset stomachs I have never experienced anything like it..... not a great way to end our holiday, from the review below obviously a bad batch of oysters not what I'd expect with the prices we paid.

“Queued for bad service, soggy chips, and oysters that...”

written by on 13/10/2010

Queued for bad service, soggy chips, and oysters that gave 4 of us severe food poisoning for 24 hours. To top it all there is only one toilet.

Avoid this place at all costs

“Stein has always said that he only keeps (frozen) cod...”

written by on 18/08/2010

Stein has always said that he only keeps (frozen) cod on the menu for the coaches full of OAPs that can't tell a decent piece of freshly landed fish from the stuff they get inland, so anyone complaining about their cod and scampi (which I've never seen on the menu) is simply subsidising it for the rest of us. As for the chip shop, it's good, sometimes excellent, a bit overpriced but with a far wider range of fresh fish than usually offered. His deli next door really is a rip-off though, heroicially so.

Sludminger's Comment

Written on: 09/03/2011

I found this review somewhat helpful because...it seems pretty honest but I can't beleive that contrary to all the other reviewers this person suggests they don't have cod and scampi on the menu? Did they go to different restaurant?

“Used the take away as the queue was shorter than it...”

written by barryyates on 17/08/2010

Used the take away as the queue was shorter than it was for the restuarant next door. Had to wait in one queue for 30 mins to place the order and then queue in a differnt queue for a further 40 mins waiting for it to be cooked. King Prawn starter was bland and cold, Cod was very nice and fresh, chips were ordinary. Definitely NOT value for money. Would NOT recommend this experience to an enemy never mind family or friends.

“Trades solely on Rick Stein's name as would be...”

written by on 08/08/2010

Trades solely on Rick Stein's name as would be expected. Nothing special annd expensive (Rick's profit) Probably better fish & chips from the chippy in Padstaow (one street back) - its where the locals fo!.