Martin's Camera Shop Reviews

2.7
  • Quality of service

• Layout of shop

Martin's Camera Shop - Ask a question now

“PAY THE PRICE FOR A CHEAPER PRODUCT”

written by on 10/01/2014

I bought a new Canon 400mm lseries lens, likely as not the best pice I could find, I spoke to them and found them very aproachaable, paid cash and picked it up. The auto focus stopped working the first time out, I told them that I did not want it repaired but replaced, that may take a couple of weeks , I was told, to be honest I was ok with that so took it back to them. after thatI was told they would not replace it but send it for repair. Never have I come across a more arrogant bad tempered and down right offensive aproach to Customer Care I spoke to canon who were dissmayed and could not understand why they refused to replace it. Martins put me in n impossible position by sending the repair direct to me from canon, once delivery had been taken, there was no fall back. Do yourself a favour and pay the extra money, use a more reputable dealer Had I been aware of there attitude before, I would never have used them. Look into things properly first

“Always great service”

written by on 13/03/2013

Just bought another lens from Martin's camera shop and very pleased with the price and service. Over the past couple of years I have spent about £7000 on lenses and cameras, paying by bank transfer. [name removed] has always kept me informed of progress with the orders and they have been delivered according to their estimated timescales. A bonus is their promise of a pro digital filter with each lens, making a further saving. I will certainly use them again and am happy to recommend them.

“Worried to order from here? why?”

written by gjwell on 25/09/2012

Ok, I had ordered from here in the past (only a filter) so when looking to make a substantial purchase was pleased to see a very good price. I was ordering a canon 70-200 2.4IS MKII and a Nikon 18-105. When I got to the checkout only to find that I could only pay by direct credit transfer! no protection of a credit card :(.. I figured the price was good and I had ordered from them before so it would be fine. After placing the order I thought how stupid have I been! I have absolutely no comeback. So I decided to google the company and found quite a few bad reviews :(. However these were only about long delivery times. The worse one I found had waited 2 weeks to get a refund. Still worried I phoned and emailed and was told my order was received and it would be a week before dispatch. well I received my order a week later and am completely happy with the service. yes I was very nervous but there was no need. Yes I had to wait a week for the order, but the price was well below the competitors. So this company does not keep stock, at least this means they have very good prices. So to sum up, you will have to wait at least 1 week before dispatch, but you will get a good deal!! Still worried then order form WEX and pay a lot more.

“waited for months”

written by zuluflair on 04/07/2012

Placed an order for the Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 L USM with this company and after a week was informed that the order will be late due to cannon discontinuing this lens. Was offered a refund but told that it would be around another 3 weeks for the order to be delivered if I waited. I agreed to wait and after another 4 weeks of silence, when I started chasing my order up, was issued a refund and told that this unit is discontinued and not available any more. Frustrating news, but more annoying is that martincamershop still selling this model on their sate!

“I had great service from Martin's”

written by graham12345678 on 06/06/2012

I don't normally do reviews, but having read what others are saying I thought I should tell you about my experiences for balance. Since 2008 I have bought a Canon 40D, a 10-22mm zoom, a 100mm macro and a 17-40 lens from Martins. All have arrived in reasonable time, and when my 40D shutter failed three times (the original, then 2 replacements from the Canon service centre) they replaced the camera. Email communication was always polite and friendly. I'd have no hesitation in buying from them again

“Be very careful with this company”

written by on 18/05/2012

Bought a Canon 5D several years ago from them. All was fine until camera broke down, my fault. When I sent it to Canon for repair at my cost, Canon sent it back with the following comment "As the serial number plate does not conform to Canon norms, for legal reasons we are unfortunately not able to offer any repair service on this product, either on a warranty or chargeable basis."... Not sure where Martin's Camera shop source products but I will not use this company again!

“Can't knock them for prices but customer service is awful”

written by on 16/05/2012

There is something wrong with the people who own this business, arrogant, little care for their customers and not really on this planet regarding modern business practice. I admit I was woed by the price of the item I wanted to purchase, even though my instinct told me no one gives that amount of money to an online store without a firm delivery promise, but I did. I did phone for stock position and for when the item would be delivered, I was told once money was in their bank, which they claimed could be about a week, although I know my bank transfers the money in hours, I should get the item the following week. I had to chase for confirmation that the money had been received, any reputable firm does this as standard, I was told no stock and not expected for 10 days, in fact it took 3 weeks before delivered. I probably would have had a serious word with them regarding their lack of service, but when someone has that amount of your money, well my feeling about these people was they were likely to delay delivery even more. I'm sure they have many satisfied customers on price alone, but not the safest way to do business, would you send any money to an overseas Internet site? neither would I. Stick to credit card only over the net, not perfect but safer than cash up front.

“Bad Service ”

written by on 10/04/2012

Ordered 2 cameras, first one delivered to wrong address, second one, gave back word on agreed price even though I gave them £1000 deposite and email confirming price. Now waiting for return of deposite. Very Hard to reach on the phone always goes to anserphone, despite working from home.! Linda is very curt and only helpfull if taking money from you. I have spent £8k with them in the past but will never use them again or reccomend them to anyone.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 20/04/2012

Oh dear.... I think I maybe in the same boat too with this company......

Yzfjohn's Comment

Written on: 21/04/2012

MMMMM ... maybe I am in the same boat!!!!!

“sociopathic business practices, steals returned items”

written by on 04/03/2012

When returning a camera lens, they stole it and refused to refund me. Furthermore they did not know what the laws about returning items from online shops were. I had to show them a government funded website to make my case of what the law really is and then when the lens was returned to them, they stole it, plain and simple. I asked them not to phone me when going through the returns process, because I suffer from a muscle spasm disorder that affects my face and tongue (even capitalizing "DO NOT" phone me), but they phoned me anyway. They seriously do not care about you, or the disabled. They were consistently rude and put on a show of them being the persecuted. Totally narcissistic/psychopathic behavior. Are you seriously considering buying from an online shop that doesn't know what the laws regarding their business are and steals returned items and is consistently rude? You gotta be kidding son! If you have a Canon 300mm L IS lens, with a serial number: 151154 it was stolen by Martin's Camera Shop, report it to the police immediately.

Guest's Comment

Written on: 14/04/2012

I hope you have managed to resolve this issue of yours.
Not that it really helps but you have helped me in avoiding this trouble.
if you havn't yet got conclusion to this i wish it to happen speedily for you!

best of luck.

Bzerckich's Comment

Written on: 16/04/2012

I'm glad to gear you're avoiding them. Personally I've always found that Warehouse Express, Park Cameras, Wilkinson Cameras to have very good service, but the best to me is Amazon by a mile. 30 days to return, returns i've always found are painless. Of course Amazon doesn't give advice, but if you know what you need they're great and if you buy something that isn't to your liking, you've got 30 days to return it!

“Purchase of camera lens”

written by on 13/06/2011

Absolutely terrible service. When lens ordered I was told over the phone the item would take 1 week to arrive. Three weeks passes and no delivery. Difficult to contact by phone and poor communication by email. They were the cheapest, but if they can't supply what is the point! Avoid!!

“They were upfront with me - Canon lens not in stock...”

written by on 05/05/2011

They were upfront with me - Canon lens not in stock and expected until (date given) so I ordered knowing when it would come - and it did. I was completely satisfied

Be realistic here - we choose Martin's because of the price, usually one of the lowest available, so don't expect an 'everything in stock' scenario with over-night delivery - High stock levels translate to higher prices - the Martin's way is the key to their pricing

I will use them every time in future -

PS - Linda could not have been more helpful

“Ordered my lens on a sunday hoping to get it to...”

written by on 11/01/2011

Ordered my lens on a sunday hoping to get it to photograph my daughter's wedding the following weekend. It was only when I rang them on the friday (and left a voice mail) that I was called back and reassured that it would be with me by the following tuesday.

I sent a polite email advising them to let customers know that there is going to be a delay. I also explained my dissapointment at not being able to photograph the wedding but have since had to responce.

“Just wanted to let you know that the Lens turned up as...”

written by on 10/11/2010

Just wanted to let you know that the Lens turned up as expected yesterday.
Thank you again for the excellent service which truly makes a difference
these days. Having previously purchased the Canon 100-400mm L lens from you
, I didn't hesitate to buy the 24-105mm L from you - the offer of 3%
discount plus a free Hoya filter as well as your excellent service made it a
very easy choice. I will certainly be ordering my next piece of Photographic
equipment from you.

“My order did not arrive after three and a half weeks...”

written by on 13/09/2010

My order did not arrive after three and a half weeks after I placed the order!!!! There was only and only email exchange as a customer service, which was very slow and unprofessional. The reason for the delay in their opinion was down to their supplier and was out of their hands. 21 century now, and they are not able to place an order with their suppliers as it comes, total nonsense. They want to do everything cheap that why everything works like that. Finally I have cancelled an order and was waiting to get my money back again more than 9 days. Only because I was writing them everyday I did receive money after more that one month dealing with this shop. Never will go back to buy anything from them!!!

“Today: Thus 12 Uag 2010 ”

written by on 12/08/2010

Today: Thus 12 Uag 2010

Terrible service, ordered online, got call saying the lens was out of stock and may be 10-12 (Full Working) days (So 14-15 Days!). Emailed to say how disappointed I was that there was no indication that the lens was unavailable (I needed it for a family event) and hoped that a 3-5 day window was enough. Got an email back saying it was my fault for not phoning and checking (Its' e-commerce for god sake, thats the point of it) and that due to the nature of my email they had made the decision as 'owners of the business to cancel my order' and that 'we don't really like dealing with your sort of people' what, people who buy good's from you and expect them to be delivered with a reasonable time frame? Who expect a 'specialist retailer' to actaully hold stock of perhaps the worlds best selling Canon upgrade? Professional, no, this is how they treat a customer who was willing to part with 160+ and was actually intending to upgrade to a high spec Canon £1115+ within the next week or so.

I am (was) furious, the company is contractually obliged to deliver my goods and have taken payment!!!!. My expression of disappointment was taken as my Authorization to cancel my order?. What, not allowed to make my disappointment known? This shop should not be dealt with by anyone wanting a reliable and friendly service. Remember who the customer is! It may be reasonable value but the downside is that they don't have the goods to sell and don't have online stock control so pay your money and wait for your goods, however long that may take. Excellent recommendation for not trying to deal with small business. Well done.

“What a terrible service! I ordered a high price lense...”

written by on 02/06/2010

What a terrible service! I ordered a high price lense from Martins Camera Shop, the transaction on the website went through fine and I eagerly awaited my product to be delievered. 3 days after purchase I got an email telling me they wouldnt send it out without proof of address or identity (after they've taken my money!) Checking my rights, there was nothing in their terms and conditions or anything stated when I made the transaction - they simply decided to change the terms of contract AFTER purchase. I sent them a photo of my driving licence AND a payslip for proof of address but this wasnt good enough...got my money back and ordered it via Jessops who called me straight away, confirmed my details and sent the lense. All turned around in 3 days. I paid a little more, but it was worth it - martinscamerashop seem like a dodgy company to me!

“I placed an order on the 19th March. It is now the...”

written by on 28/04/2010

I placed an order on the 19th March. It is now the 28th April.

After being unable to complete my order by the 19th April I requested a refund. As of this morning I hadn't received payment and contacted them via e-mail. They replied saying that a cheque would be sent out by first class post.

This means that they have had nearly £1,000 of my money for nearly 6 weeks and have yet to provide me with either my order or a refund.

Completely unacceptable.

“they charged my card and then they said that it was...”

written by on 28/04/2010

they charged my card and then they said that it was not authorised, took 15 days to cancel the order and refund my card.
Bad Service Ever Seen !

“Two and a half weeks ago I ordered two canion EF...”

written by on 07/04/2010

Two and a half weeks ago I ordered two canion EF lenses and filters. I received one of the lenses a week after placing the order, however the other lens and filters are still out of stock.

I've spoken to Linda on a couple of occasions who is very pleasant but not particularly helpful with regard to lead-times as I've been misinformed on two occasions about delivery dates. Like other posters I've been offered a refund but am reluctant to cancel the order as the price is very competitive. I've asked them to contact the suppliers directly to confirm the lead time and to let me know. I will then make my decision based on this information.

With regard to the question of a UK warranty, canon lenses are covered by a world wide warranty. All that is required to support a warranty claim is a valid proof of purchase.

As a result I find this difficult to score. Prices are low and this has to be a major consideration. I'd recommend on the basis of price alone - but be warned this is not a supplier to order from if you're in a hurry!!!

“I ordered a lens on-line which they immediately...”

written by on 25/02/2010

I ordered a lens on-line which they immediately charged me for despite their not having the lens in stock. The lens took nearly two weeks to arrive. When it did arrive it was not as hoped for so I returned it next by next day delivery, 35 days later I have still not received a refund. This means that they have sat on my money for 50 days and I have nothing to show for it. To add insult to injury I found the lens over 10% cheaper at another shop the day it was delivered.

DO NOT DO on-line business with this company if you want to be treated well as a customer. They have responded to all my emails but only to tell me that they will be taking as long as they are legally allowed to do anything!